#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: 2019 Rd 7 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by gerg »

The Rickman wrote:
PigRickman wrote: April 29, 2019, 1:08 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 29, 2019, 10:51 am
greeneyed wrote: April 29, 2019, 7:35 am Oh... I genuinely thought you were joking!

He's pretty much moving towards his own goal line when they make contact. Soft.
This is kind of where Joey's reputation (and one he's well and truly earned) hurts him a lot. I bet if that's Nic Cotric the penalty isn't blown.
I'm obviously watching a completely different clip to you blokes, because I've watched it at least a dozen times now and it looks to me like Joey just comes straight in and shoulder charges the guy!

That's a penalty every day of the year.
I don't know that there is intent there from BJ but who really knows what's going on up there. I think he is doing a bit of ball watching and Parker was unsuspecting so why not? I'd love to see a staring competition between Watmough and our BJ. 50/50 they come to blows within 90 seconds.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: April 29, 2019, 3:30 pm I'm obviously watching a completely different clip to you blokes, because I've watched it at least a dozen times now and it looks to me like Joey just comes straight in and shoulder charges the guy!

There was a replay on the telecast from another angle that showed the the contact was VERY soft and clearly incidental, Beej comes in but he's ball watching and he eases up and the two just kind of collide, and probably the manly player took a bit of a dive. (if someone could get that other footage, it'd be great)

But as i said that's Joey Leilua who's coming in and then suddenly a man without the ball is on the deck... i cant really blame anyone for blowing that penalty, Beej is a double edged sword
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I've read a fair bit of analysis on here and elsewhere about what went wrong but mostly I think people have overcomplicated a lot of the issues we experienced yesterday.

If you look back to the Broncos match last week, at 16 all we were gone. Absolutely out on our feet and sitting ducks and probably should have lost. We looked tired from a hectic first month of being 'up' and making sure we right the wrongs of the bad starts of previous years. Jack pulled out a 40/20 to turn the tide and then the lucky Sutton try off the head bounce just gave us the break we required in that game to steady the ship and find a way home. That's why I singled out Hudson Young for praise after the Broncos match, he came on and was trying to help out the gassed forwards by absorbing as many tackles as he could down the middle in the back end of that match to assist and it contributed to the 2 points.

Fast forward a week and everything about Brookvale on a Sunday arvo had me worried due to the signs in that Broncos game. The only confidence I had was looking at the Manly line up and hoping our bench could win the middle period and that would be enough points but essentially I had a feeling we were going to get rolled. I mentioned a week or so ago that you have the Roosters and the Storm that are somewhat a level of performance above the league on most days, but for everyone else most matches are being decided on who the more desperate team is going into the contest which broken down further to me translates to the effort, intent and energy that they put into the contest (see Knights over Parra yesterday for most recent example). We've managed to have that in most games so far besides the Storm one on the short turnaround with heavy legs after a mammoth R1 game on the Gold Coast, but I think most people would agree that our energy has been up in the forwards particularly, and our defence is enthusiastic and we're getting off our line to meet teams well which is a refreshing change. As I said this started to break down during that Broncos game and perhaps i'm being too simplistic here but I think we were so hellbent on having a fast start this year and not chasing the ladder that we were skidding towards a low energy performance like that and were ripe for the picking. We were giving away stupid penalties and not wrapping the ball up not because we forgot how to defend or because Manly were beasts, to my eye it was because again we were swaying through the middle and didn't match the effort in that 2nd half. We might be a more mobile, streamlined team in the forwards this year but even the experienced leaders in the middle like Papa have to adjust to the high energy defence system and keeping it up will be the challenge. Those 2 elite teams that perform almost every week have been bringing this type of defence for a period of time so their risk of the peaks and troughs in performance are diminished (or they find some individual brilliance to scrape them through).

My worry is how do we address the energy levels quickly, particularly as we're coming up against a side more desperate than us who played with good hunger on Friday but just didn't execute well enough to win the game against a side equal top.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Woodgers wrote: April 29, 2019, 5:01 pm I've read a fair bit of analysis on here and elsewhere about what went wrong but mostly I think people have overcomplicated a lot of the issues we experienced yesterday.

If you look back to the Broncos match last week, at 16 all we were gone. Absolutely out on our feet and sitting ducks and probably should have lost. We looked tired from a hectic first month of being 'up' and making sure we right the wrongs of the bad starts of previous years. Jack pulled out a 40/20 to turn the tide and then the lucky Sutton try off the head bounce just gave us the break we required in that game to steady the ship and find a way home. That's why I singled out Hudson Young for praise after the Broncos match, he came on and was trying to help out the gassed forwards by absorbing as many tackles as he could down the middle in the back end of that match to assist and it contributed to the 2 points.

Fast forward a week and everything about Brookvale on a Sunday arvo had me worried due to the signs in that Broncos game. The only confidence I had was looking at the Manly line up and hoping our bench could win the middle period and that would be enough points but essentially I had a feeling we were going to get rolled. I mentioned a week or so ago that you have the Roosters and the Storm that are somewhat a level of performance above the league on most days, but for everyone else most matches are being decided on who the more desperate team is going into the contest which broken down further to me translates to the effort, intent and energy that they put into the contest (see Knights over Parra yesterday for most recent example). We've managed to have that in most games so far besides the Storm one on the short turnaround with heavy legs after a mammoth R1 game on the Gold Coast, but I think most people would agree that our energy has been up in the forwards particularly, and our defence is enthusiastic and we're getting off our line to meet teams well which is a refreshing change. As I said this started to break down during that Broncos game and perhaps i'm being too simplistic here but I think we were so hellbent on having a fast start this year and not chasing the ladder that we were skidding towards a low energy performance like that and were ripe for the picking. We were giving away stupid penalties and not wrapping the ball up not because we forgot how to defend or because Manly were beasts, to my eye it was because again we were swaying through the middle and didn't match the effort in that 2nd half. We might be a more mobile, streamlined team in the forwards this year but even the experienced leaders in the middle like Papa have to adjust to the high energy defence system and keeping it up will be the challenge. Those 2 elite teams that perform almost every week have been bringing this type of defence for a period of time so their risk of the peaks and troughs in performance are diminished (or they find some individual brilliance to scrape them through).

My worry is how do we address the energy levels quickly, particularly as we're coming up against a side more desperate than us who played with good hunger on Friday but just didn't execute well enough to win the game against a side equal top.
Game management.
Someone else said it earlier but if we had taken that second penalty shot at goal instead of taking the tap, we go to 16-6, give the guys a rest, chip a bit further away at Manly's confidence and get the ball back from the kick off.
No telling how the rest of the game might have gone but it would have made a difference. We might have gotten away with the two points.

This week its hard to see the team getting back up again as it was another tough game, and we dont know yet how BJ and Raps will recover. So game management is all important. If we are struggling in energy, we need to take the breather when we can, get the repeat sets, take the shots at goal, kick for touch, and do whatever we can to break the game down into shorter periods of intensive effort.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I would say game management could improve but my focus is not the 2 at all. I think the try is clearly the correct play and every team is taking that option. A try there is pretty much the game. What they aren't producing off the back of that decision is a really poor panic end of set (Hodgson).

There was more of this panic later on when we got down their end so instead of just being patient and rolling in some repeat sets and building pressure like we've done earlier in the year we seem to think we must score in that set of 6. When it's not working we seem to build our sets to a plan like they're 9 tackles long but then don't give ourselves the extra tackles to play with and panic with something at the end of 6.

We've got this habit of jamming ourselves up out wide when we're in the red zone with the first pass from dummy half to a play maker being far too long. It's pretty obvious where the ball is going and the defense has plenty of time to get up.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

woppadingo wrote: April 29, 2019, 5:56 pm
Woodgers wrote: April 29, 2019, 5:01 pm I've read a fair bit of analysis on here and elsewhere about what went wrong but mostly I think people have overcomplicated a lot of the issues we experienced yesterday.

Game management.
Someone else said it earlier but if we had taken that second penalty shot at goal instead of taking the tap, we go to 16-6, give the guys a rest, chip a bit further away at Manly's confidence and get the ball back from the kick off.
No telling how the rest of the game might have gone but it would have made a difference. We might have gotten away with the two points.

This week its hard to see the team getting back up again as it was another tough game, and we dont know yet how BJ and Raps will recover. So game management is all important. If we are struggling in energy, we need to take the breather when we can, get the repeat sets, take the shots at goal, kick for touch, and do whatever we can to break the game down into shorter periods of intensive effort.
In hindsight it does look alike a turning point- Croker even looked like he was coming in for the kick...
Th old point scoring shootout Raiders play on there and look for the the try every time. If your plan is to back your defence and use it as a weapon to crush a team slowly then you take the points on offer every time and get the ball back- trusting that your defensive pressure will slowly force this team to do silly teams as you just clock up points on offer every time you get down their end if you can.

Given that we actually have some of the better long range strike in the league + not great attack in the red zone then I think the co-captains and coach need to be more open to taking the 2 points more often in general.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: April 29, 2019, 6:10 pm I would say game management could improve but my focus is not the 2 at all. I think the try is clearly the correct play and every team is taking that option. A try there is pretty much the game. What they aren't producing off the back of that decision is a really poor panic end of set (Hodgson).

There was more of this panic later on when we got down their end so instead of just being patient and rolling in some repeat sets and building pressure like we've done earlier in the year we seem to think we must score in that set of 6. When it's not working we seem to build our sets to a plan like they're 9 tackles long but then don't give ourselves the extra tackles to play with and panic with something at the end of 6.

We've got this habit of jamming ourselves up out wide when we're in the red zone with the first pass from dummy half to a play maker being far too long. It's pretty obvious where the ball is going and the defense has plenty of time to get up.
Problem is it took Ricky a year to decide we needed to practice final 10 minutes scenarios under fatigue so I;m not sure how quickly he'll react to actually practicing a call and move where we actually go to the backs with a set sweep or run around to a flat short side or whatever it will be early in the set in the red zone. Don't have to do it every time, just a change up to use once or twice a half
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

greeneyed wrote: April 29, 2019, 2:51 pm I'd strongly recommend people have a look at the Annesley media briefing from today:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/29/gra ... --round-7/

He shows statistics on the number of play the balls that take longer than four seconds as a percentage of the total by team from the weekend. It shows why the referees have the Raiders in their sights on slow play the balls...
Brisbane where even slower than the Raiders in play the balls and where penalised 7 times to our 18 in total for the match.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

That Manly team with DCE was absolute rubbish. When Cherry-Evans got injured they were a bad a lineup as you'll see in the NRL this season.

That was an absolutely disgraceful performance from us. We respected them for the first 20 minutes, but when we hit the lead our discipline and structure in both attack and defence went out the window.

That was easily the worst performance we've had since the beginning of last season. It was appalling.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 30, 2019, 12:06 am That Manly team with DCE was absolute rubbish. When Cherry-Evans got injured they were a bad a lineup as you'll see in the NRL this season.

That was an absolutely disgraceful performance from us. We respected them for the first 20 minutes, but when we hit the lead our discipline and structure in both attack and defence went out the window.

That was easily the worst performance we've had since the beginning of last season. It was appalling.
I agree with this, but Manly were also incredibly lucky. The style of play they employed generally comes with plenty of mistakes, but they completed at 88%. I'm not a ref's faulter, but at the game in the second half, Manly were standing in front of the 10m almost every tackle. It was seriously that bad. In saying all that - you are right, we clearly did not respect them enough to take the 2 when they were on offer. If we were playing Melbourne away, there is no way we would have taken the tap in that situation.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

TongueFTW wrote: April 30, 2019, 7:16 am
Seiffert82 wrote: April 30, 2019, 12:06 am That Manly team with DCE was absolute rubbish. When Cherry-Evans got injured they were a bad a lineup as you'll see in the NRL this season.

I agree with this, but Manly were also incredibly lucky. The style of play they employed generally comes with plenty of mistakes, but they completed at 88%. I'm not a ref's faulter, but at the game in the second half, Manly were standing in front of the 10m almost every tackle. It was seriously that bad. In saying all that - you are right, we clearly did not respect them enough to take the 2 when they were on offer. If we were playing Melbourne away, there is no way we would have taken the tap in that situation.
Yep, Manly certainly chanced their arm and it paid dividends. They won't complete at that rate with so many offloads again. Credit to them.

Our discipline in defence went completely out the window though. It was like watching a train crash in slow motion.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

greeneyed wrote: April 29, 2019, 2:51 pm I'd strongly recommend people have a look at the Annesley media briefing from today:

He shows statistics on the number of play the balls that take longer than four seconds as a percentage of the total by team from the weekend. It shows why the referees have the Raiders in their sights on slow play the balls...
I can see the point but the Raiders were only just over the threshold of what they target and the response seems to be disproportionate to other matches. Definitely good to have an insight into what the metrics the referees are using
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Attitude and game plan killed us.

Spending entire sets attacking an oppositions try line, trying constant 1-out battering ram plays is one of the most amateurish and ineffective attacking plans ever seen.

No 2nd phase play to isolate defenders, no angled line runs to test defenders laterally and then the halves are lumped with immense last tackle pressure to come up with something after an abysmal wasted set. I absolutely hate seeing it and it needs to be thrown own ASAP.

It's causing a far more headaches for us, rather than the opposition.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

pickles wrote: April 30, 2019, 9:21 am

I can see the point but the Raiders were only just over the threshold of what they target and the response seems to be disproportionate to other matches. Definitely good to have an insight into what the metrics the referees are using
Fair comment
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The lack of possession in the second half killed off our opportunity. The errors and dumb penalties gifted the game to Manly. They watched us self-destruct and laughed all the way to the two competition points.

The initial replacement for Rapa with JB on the right and BJ at wing was soon switched to JB on the left with JC to wing. One injury to a winger caused disruption to the team cohesion and that started with the coaches confused positional moves which were then changed and again proved a gift to Manly. We currently have bench forwards we only use for 10-15 minutes. We know we have backline players carrying injury. I would not be adverse to having a back to blood on the bench. We have blooded young forwards, but no young backs so far.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

TongueFTW wrote: April 30, 2019, 7:16 am

Lucky or not, if we'd just rolled up our sleeves and played like we have for the rest of the season to date, we would've crushed them fairly easily. Instead, as Seiff said, we got cocky and careless and Manly got us in that twenty-odd minutes period to the point we couldn't come back in time. Ten more minutes in the game and we probably win it.

It's becoming increasingly obvious to me that 4th and 5th tackle in our red-zone is our biggest problem, and Hodgson is largely to blame for this (sorry Hodgo, I love you still!). On fourth he needs to give it to his halves to put on an attacking play, and on 5th a half needs to kick it. Hodgo's pet plays: a crash ball on 4th or a grubber on 5th need to be occasional plays, very occasional plays, not his go-to move everytime. The halves shouldn't be an afterthought on 4th and 5th, they should be at least 75% of the time.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

BadnMean wrote: April 29, 2019, 7:03 pm
zim wrote: April 29, 2019, 6:10 pm I would say game management could improve but my focus is not the 2 at all. I think the try is clearly the correct play and every team is taking that option. A try there is pretty much the game. What they aren't producing off the back of that decision is a really poor panic end of set (Hodgson).

Problem is it took Ricky a year to decide we needed to practice final 10 minutes scenarios under fatigue so I;m not sure how quickly he'll react to actually practicing a call and move where we actually go to the backs with a set sweep or run around to a flat short side or whatever it will be early in the set in the red zone. Don't have to do it every time, just a change up to use once or twice a half
Yeah if they change it likely won't be quick. One set play I noticed that they've added in the pre-season to get Cotric more involved: Croker and Whitehead act as decoys as Wighton dummies and drifts across then Cotric cuts back in on the inside as the real target to do his broken play dodging through the sliding or lazy defense. It's nearly worked twice.
I'd assume Sammy is a quicker set play study then Jack. Surely they could work something out on their side. Just to break up the ol pass to Leilua or crash ball stuff.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

gergreg wrote: April 29, 2019, 3:36 pm
The Rickman wrote:
PigRickman wrote: April 29, 2019, 1:08 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 29, 2019, 10:51 am
greeneyed wrote: April 29, 2019, 7:35 am Oh... I genuinely thought you were joking!

He's pretty much moving towards his own goal line when they make contact. Soft.
This is kind of where Joey's reputation (and one he's well and truly earned) hurts him a lot. I bet if that's Nic Cotric the penalty isn't blown.
I'm obviously watching a completely different clip to you blokes, because I've watched it at least a dozen times now and it looks to me like Joey just comes straight in and shoulder charges the guy!

I don't know that there is intent there from BJ but who really knows what's going on up there. I think he is doing a bit of ball watching and Parker was unsuspecting so why not? I'd love to see a staring competition between Watmough and our BJ. 50/50 they come to blows within 90 seconds.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
BJ is moving backwards, and to the left. To me it's not a penalty.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

He **** runs into the bloke! No matter how many times I watch it he smashes him, and it could be argued it's a shoulder charge... you guys are ABSOLUTELY watching something different than that little clip!
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

The Rickman wrote: April 30, 2019, 11:56 am He **** runs into the bloke! No matter how many times I watch it he smashes him, and it could be argued it's a shoulder charge... you guys are ABSOLUTELY watching something different than that little clip!
This is the biggest bunch of coward BS I've ever seen.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

RedRaider wrote: April 30, 2019, 10:43 am

The lack of possession in the second half killed off our opportunity. The errors and dumb penalties gifted the game to Manly. They watched us self-destruct and laughed all the way to the two competition points.

The initial replacement for Rapa with JB on the right and BJ at wing was soon switched to JB on the left with JC to wing. One injury to a winger caused disruption to the team cohesion and that started with the coaches confused positional moves which were then changed and again proved a gift to Manly. We currently have bench forwards we only use for 10-15 minutes. We know we have backline players carrying injury. I would not be adverse to having a back to blood on the bench. We have blooded young forwards, but no young backs so far.
They lost a top line halfback and coped better than we did losing a winger...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

There's cowards bloody everywhere and I've had a deadset gutful!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

The Rickman wrote: April 30, 2019, 11:56 am He **** runs into the bloke! No matter how many times I watch it he smashes him, and it could be argued it's a shoulder charge... you guys are ABSOLUTELY watching something different than that little clip!
I 100% agree with you! I have problems with that being a penalty and I don’t think the Raiders copped a bad run with the ref. Discipline was poor and they got penalised for it - people need to drop the victim mentality and move on.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Victim mentality would apply to people blaming the ref or finding fault every week but in fairness you can point out a bad call or even a bad game by the officials against your team without playing the victim. It's part of the 80 minute discussion.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

That's coward talk, Woodgers
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Canberra Raiders fans, time to VOTE Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad!

Choose who should win the NRL Try of the Week: Round 7 https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/29/cho ... k-round-7/ via @NRL

By the numbers: Raiders v Sea Eagles: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... ea-eagles/
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Billy Walker wrote: April 30, 2019, 12:12 pm
I 100% agree with you! I have problems with that being a penalty and I don’t think the Raiders copped a bad run with the ref. Discipline was poor and they got penalised for it - people need to drop the victim mentality and move on.
Your right, most warranted a penalty its more that Manly weren't getting penalised for similar offences.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

No real issue with all the penalties Raiders got called for. I just felt that Manly weren't under the same level of scrutiny. We couldn't buy a penalty that 2nd half.

BUT we still should have been able to beat them. Out effort fell away dramatically and that's what cost us the game.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

BadnMean wrote: April 29, 2019, 7:03 pm

Some of our best wins in recent years gave been the games where we slowed it down and managed the game. The win against the roosters last year...something like 14-8 and a couple years ago when we were down a man (sin bin) yet somehow scored a penalty and a try (?).
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

You thinking of the Sharks game? We kicked 3 penalties from memory.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

gangrenous wrote: May 3, 2019, 8:34 pm You thinking of the Sharks game? We kicked 3 penalties from memory.
This is probably our best win in recent memory.

Papalii in the bin, we kicked 3? penalty goals while down to 12 men, kept Crudnulla scoreless in this 10min period and totally controlled the game..

All at Shark Park.

It was a fine moment..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

taking kicks, and stripping 90 seconds off the clock, and then getting the ball back to strip another 50 seconds off, when we've got a dude in the bin and clinging to a lead is... well it's in a different stratosphere to being up 8, and going for a try to extend the lead beyond 2 tries in the first half.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

-PJ- wrote: May 3, 2019, 8:43 pm
gangrenous wrote: May 3, 2019, 8:34 pm You thinking of the Sharks game? We kicked 3 penalties from memory.
This is probably our best win in recent memory.

Papalii in the bin, we kicked 3? penalty goals while down to 12 men, kept Crudnulla scoreless in this 10min period and totally controlled the game..

All at Shark Park.

It was a fine moment..
I remember this. The commentators were absolutely losing their minds and the crowd was going bananas and we were just in a state of absolutely no **** given.
Last edited by greeneyed on May 4, 2019, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not avoid the swearing filter
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)