Post by Thomas Raider »

Don`t stress people,just drink more beer or whatever you like :roflmao
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2019 Rd 7 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by Botman »

Timbo wrote: April 28, 2019, 4:26 pm
Goldcoast Raider wrote: April 28, 2019, 4:18 pm I’m going to get hammered for this but if he took the 2 before halftime manlys heads go down and it’s a 10 point turn around
You shouldn’t. We kick it we win.
I think your crystal ball is faulty mate
Im looking at mine and if we take the 2, we lose the game 46-16

And mine doesn’t give me the lotto numbers so hit me up on PM’s please
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

It needs to be understood that I'm not complaining about the ones we were hit for (except the one where the Manly player literally ran into BJ and the one where they dropped it cold). We were horrible today.

I'm complaining that Manly weren't getting called out for the same stuff. We made at least two breaks where Manly weren't even CLOSE to onside and no penalty (one was the one were Cotric promptly passed off the ground). On one scrum Manly literally had three players at least broken early and all the ref could do was say "hold". Like, come on. Some consistency would be nice.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Chalk it up to a bad day at the office, have a sleep in tomorrow, then refocus on next week.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

T_R wrote: April 28, 2019, 4:33 pm Chalk it up to a bad day at the office, have a sleep in tomorrow, then refocus on next week.
Hey T-R
Too true mate :D
Christmas Ape
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Christmas Ape »

I wonder why, after scoring back to back attacking their right edge, we decided to just bash it up the middle for the next 60 minutes?
Such a frustrating team to watch sometimes.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Always tough to win at brookvale and we never seemed to recover after rapana was injured.

In the second half we were never able to create any pressure. We did a reasonable job of soaking it up other than a 15-20 minute period where we allowed them to offload at will. It was pleasing that we managed to fix that.

I was disappointed in how we went with our bench forwards on. They didn’t provide the punch in attack we needed to get back on the from foot and it was only when Lui and Papallii came back on we created any momentum.

It is normal that when you have the weight if possession you’ll get some more penalties the one that hurt was when manly dropped it cold and got a penalty, not a raider hand in sight. Pretty sure manly weren’t penalised for being inside the 10 all day. It didn’t decide the game but meant we were fighting out of our half for the whole second half and couldn’t build any pressure.

Really the difference was 15 **** minutes from us where we let them offload at will and get ahead of us. It’s not the end of the world but we need to be a lot better if we are serious about this season.
Fair Cop
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Raps

Post by Fair Cop »

Pete Cash wrote: April 28, 2019, 4:18 pm One thing I would like from one of the stats men is how many minutes our forwards are playing. Stick has never been great at using his bench and we do look gassed. Canberra Milk says Guler played 16 so is someone picking up extra work that is making them vulnerable in defense ?
Losing rapana would have affected the forward rotation...we still could have scored at least another 2 tries...too many idiotic plays cost us more.
#The Clap #The Team #The Vibe
BJ
Steve Walters

2019 Rd 7 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by BJ »

Rickmando wrote:
LastRaider wrote: April 28, 2019, 4:07 pm Referee’s were not to blame for that loss today. We need to forget this culture of repeatedly blaming the referee’s every time we lose. The players need to and so do we as supporters

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Take it one further.

Can we quit with the “something unrelated happened over a week ago but today’s refs are going to make up for it by punishing the raiders because the NRL conspiracies that’s why and also UFOs, and lizard royal family, and chemtrails and vaccinations etc etc etc”. It’s just pathetic.

In no reasonable world would the NRL instruct today’s match day referees to help manly, just to make up for something that happened last week. They admitted they blew that call (happens in all sports and all leagues worldwide), time to move onto a new week and get over it
Again you’re making up the story that we claimed the NRL instructed the refs to make bad calls against the Raiders.

The refs however let a number of clear Manly forward passes go, but called ours. Correctly pinged us for being offside after breaks, but let Manly get away with it. Havilli got a clear shoulder to the head that didn’t even bounce up off the ball and was let go. Manly got a few penalties for pretty soft contact from the Raiders. These are three areas that where there was inconsistency in the way the game was refereed.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

This was just a game riddled with dumb options. Hodgson gets a rush of blood to the head and takes a tap instead of kicking for field position. Then, kicks when a pass to Williams or Wighton would have been better inside the red zone. Ditto, Wighton. He falls on a loose ball and we get possession. Instead, he tries to pick up on the run as he and knocks on. Unfortunately, they both have form on the board in this regard.

That's not to say they were alone in the dumb mistakes category, but we pretty much gifted that game to Manly.

I hope Williams isn't made to carry the blame for this loss, though his lack of effort to stop a try was kind of obvious. Hodgson needs to give the ball to him more often. I was shocked to learn that Williams only averages 9 metres per game.

Even so, they were starved of possession, fell off 101 tackles, lost their first-choice winger and still only lost by 4 points.

Let's hope Rapana and Whitehead are okay for next week. We can turn this around.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Poor from the Raiders today in the areas of ill-discipline and stopping off loads in defence. The Fox commentators said the Manly side had more than 60% possession in the second half. It showed. We just didn't have the defensive technique to stop the offloads. In the lead up to Lachlan Crokers try to give Manly the lead, there were back to back offloads when we had numbers in the tackle. Sia was one of the players in both tackles and it did not surprise me to see him taken off soon after.

The loss of Rapa disrupted the defence initially on our right and then on the left. JB moved to right center and BJ to the wing initially and Manly attacked in that area with success. Then we saw JB to left center with JC to left wing and again Manly attacked in that area with success.

It is never the fact that the Raiders have performed poorly in one match. It is how we back up that matters. We have the Panthers in Wagga Wagga next week. They are another side which can offload well. There will be injury concerns about Rapa, EW and Havili. I expect plenty of others to need a few days recovery. C'mon Raiders, back on track with discipline and strong D next week please.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

We got away with 2 x 50/50 forward pass calls in our 2nd try so we certainly can’t argue it was all against us from the refs.

We were just garbage today.

And Murchie needs an absolute rocket up his ****.

His effort to just give up and not bother once the ball had passed him on that Manly try to end the 1st half after been on the field for a short time was disgusting - if he at least half tried he could of maybe put pressure on the pass for Croker backing up who scored the try.
Last edited by scotchberry on April 28, 2019, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

scotchberry wrote: April 28, 2019, 5:25 pm We got away with 2 x 50/50 forward pass calls in our 2nd try so we certainly can’t argue it was all against us from the refs.

You new around here, mate?
We can ALWAYS argue it was all against us. Always.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

PigRickman wrote: April 28, 2019, 5:29 pm
scotchberry wrote: April 28, 2019, 5:25 pm We got away with 2 x 50/50 forward pass calls in our 2nd try so we certainly can’t argue it was all against us from the refs.

You new around here, mate?
We can ALWAYS argue it was all against us. Always.
I also don’t get this crap about possession and penalties against us being to blame.

We had only played 40minutes and had a 15 minute orange break and we just let the opposition offload and steam roll us through the middle - no way should we have been gassed at that stage - and we were in the lead as well !!!!!

It was through our poor defence and I’ll discipline that allowed the lopsided penalty and possession counts. I don’t understand how people can fail to acknowledge the Raiders players involvement and hold them to account for these stats as opposed to using them as excuses that were out of our control and we should give them a pass mark because we weren’t given equal play.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lachlan Croker comes back to bite Canberra Raiders in Manly Sea Eagles win

A Canberra Raiders junior came back to bite the Green Machine in more ways than one. Manly half Lachlan Croker scored a brace and, in his captain's absence, led the Sea Eagles to a 24-20 win.

"Considering the amount of penalties they got, that's not to say they weren't [penalties], I thought we did a pretty good job of being where we were defensively," Stuart said. "We didn't defend anywhere near as good as we have. There's been more things thrown at us than there was today.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Is there anything Raiders recruit John Bateman can't do? https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

The NRL should take a Magic Round to the bush: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

MATCH REPORT: Raiders beaten by Manly: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... lottoland/

MATCH REPORT: DCE taken off injured in Manly win over Raiders: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/28/dal ... a-raiders/
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

Thomas Raider wrote: April 28, 2019, 4:06 pm All I can say is great effort boys,no ball in 2nd half,still could`ve pulled it off. Hodgo just needs to trust Sam in the 20m zone...we get the same amount of ball in 2nd half as Manly we win...simple :cmon
I don’t think it’s as simple as Hodgson trusting Sam in the 20m Zone.

I think the greater problem is that we don’t seem to be coached in any way on any plays, structures, running formations.

Surely at training we could do a simple pass the ball to the halfback, have the 12 run an inside line and the 4 run outside line and Sam decide who to pass it to ?

Any halfback in first grade no matter what level can do this, but it seems to be constantly in our game plan not to ?

Example in point was 1st half on 4th tackle when (I can’t remember who) was held up and we had a stop and start from center field 10 meter line play the ball.
Somehow our hooker ended up on that play kicking from 3 meters of the sideline into the legs of 2 opposing players directly on top of him ?

That’s a coaching issue to me that we aren’t training properly

I can’t remember the last time we had a simple decoy runner in any backline movement .
Ezy
Brett Mullins

Post by Ezy »

Put that one down to one thing - ill discipline. All but a couple of those penalties were justified too.

Credit to Manly - they made up for the loss of DCE by soaking up the possession we gifted them. Completed at close to 90% and converted enough opportunities. We were completely gassed in that 10-15 minute period in the second half.

We have let in too many points in the last fortnight, but our defence is still vastly improved from last year, and the attitude is still there. Interested to see if we can tighten it up for next week - we'll need to against the Panthers.

I wasn't at all confident about this game and so it played out. Manly have a habit of winning big/close/backs-to-the-wall games at Brookvale.

Dust ourselves off and on to next week. Parra have just lost so we're still in the top four.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Parra lost, shame we lost the chance to go two games clear in the top 4...
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

Thomas Raider wrote: April 28, 2019, 4:06 pm All I can say is great effort boys,no ball in 2nd half,still could`ve pulled it off.
I don’t understand how you can be proud of that effort ?

No ball in the 2nd half was a direct result of our poor defence, altitude and ill discipline that occurred after only 40 minutes and the halftime break and we were leading ?

We should be holding the team accountable for the stats that was entirely on them, not making excuses for the loss on variables that were a direct result on our ineptitude to win the match
Last edited by scotchberry on April 28, 2019, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Wiki Special wrote: April 28, 2019, 4:28 pm I thought Guler was OK today but obviously others saw something I didn't. His first contact in defence is poor. I'd rather see Horsburgh back on the bench.
7 runs for 106m in 21 min. That's pretty good.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 28, 2019, 6:13 pm
Wiki Special wrote: April 28, 2019, 4:28 pm I thought Guler was OK today but obviously others saw something I didn't. His first contact in defence is poor. I'd rather see Horsburgh back on the bench.
About 40 of those were on a kick return on a goal line drop out
But yeah he just has great leg speed and instinctively seems to know how to get in between bodies

I admit I’m a bit doughy eyed for him though, I just think he has a very rare combination of size, speed and athleticism. Someone earlier mentioned Vaughan and I can see it stylistically
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

PigRickman wrote: April 28, 2019, 6:15 pm
But yeah he just has great leg speed and instinctively seems to know how to get in between bodies

I admit I’m a bit doughy eyed for him though, I just think he has a very rare combination of size, speed and athleticism. Someone earlier mentioned Vaughan and I can see it stylistically
And in his face and body
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

Kryptonite wrote: April 28, 2019, 4:09 pm Really disappointed in Hodjo’s decision making and game management thus far, Ennis ir someone needs to pull him aside and demand he sticks with the “a” game plan
If he isn’t following the game plan the coach needs to put him in reserve grade.

Doesn’t matter how good of a player he is, no one is above the team
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

I was more concerned with his defence in this game to be honest. He has plenty of positives though, he is a good prospect. I do not think he is as impressive as Paul Vaughan at the same stage of their careers however.

I feel that Horsburgh and Soliola are our best options as props off the bench at this stage of the season. Agressive in both attack and defence as well as intimidating. But that is just my opinion.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i dont think he's as good as vaughan was at this stage but they match in style
I agree his first up contact can be a little suspect, that's something for him to work on... but that's easy (or relatively easy for a pro athlete) because it's just gym work and a bit of technique... being that big, fast and mobile is something you cant teach

But last week when i said i wanted more out of my bench prop with ball in hand... 7 for 106 is certain adding some punch that other young forwards we've seen this year havent provided
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Yeah, definitely have Guler in front of Collins.

PigRickman - did you find Horsburgh impressive in the first few rounds?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Not too worried about that loss. We were always going to have some bad days at the office, it's a long season. How we back up next week will count for more IMO.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

BJ wrote: April 28, 2019, 4:51 pm
Rickmando wrote:
LastRaider wrote: April 28, 2019, 4:07 pm Referee’s were not to blame for that loss today. We need to forget this culture of repeatedly blaming the referee’s every time we lose. The players need to and so do we as supporters

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Take it one further.

Can we quit with the “something unrelated happened over a week ago but today’s refs are going to make up for it by punishing the raiders because the NRL conspiracies that’s why and also UFOs, and lizard royal family, and chemtrails and vaccinations etc etc etc”. It’s just pathetic.

In no reasonable world would the NRL instruct today’s match day referees to help manly, just to make up for something that happened last week. They admitted they blew that call (happens in all sports and all leagues worldwide), time to move onto a new week and get over it
Again you’re making up the story that we claimed the NRL instructed the refs to make bad calls against the Raiders.

The refs however let a number of clear Manly forward passes go, but called ours. Correctly pinged us for being offside after breaks, but let Manly get away with it. Havilli got a clear shoulder to the head that didn’t even bounce up off the ball and was let go. Manly got a few penalties for pretty soft contact from the Raiders. These are three areas that where there was inconsistency in the way the game was refereed.
Tell me about this "Lizard Royal Family" ?
Is it the Lizard King Jim Morrison was always on about?
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

Ultima wrote: April 28, 2019, 4:00 pm Williams we get the blame for that even though he was ball staved and not supported... Near the end of the game we let him run solo at the line and he understandably got smashed... Don't know what happened out there but the team looked flat for most of the game minus a few flashes of individual brilliance....
same happened to sezer when we melbourne did that to us, not always the halves fault
raider 4 life
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

He missed so many tackles because he seemed to go in so soft, he missed like 3 in 2 tackles and i was hoping he got pulled
raider 4 life
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Wiki Special wrote: April 28, 2019, 6:50 pm Yeah, definitely have Guler in front of Collins.

I like him a lot
Very aggressive with ball in hand and loves it lay the wood in defence
He’s had a little youthful exuberance that got knocked out pretty quickly
I don’t think he’s as good with ball in hand as Guler but defensively he’s very stout
Horsburgh to me looks like a guy with a higher floor but lower ceiling, and Guler a higher ceiling but lower floor
If I had to bet on one to play 6-8 seasons of NRL footy I might take Hors, if i was betting on one to be a rep player, I’d take Guler
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Offloads..all day.

It cost us.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

If you couldn’t see the rough reffing you weren’t watching the game.

It’s why I don’t bother going to Brookvale often. We didn’t play as good as we could and they showed a lot of heart down 12-0 dice out no turbo etc.

But really early in the second half we knocked on, on a dicey one but clearly a knock on.

Next set they knock on the third or fourth dicey but clearly a knock on they get a penalty, it was garbage like that and how the high tackle and ten were officiated. Don’t get me wrong we got those calls against Melbourne and they still flogged us, we should have been able to overcome it, we didn’t.

But to say we weren’t up against it. Come on, if you tend to agree with pig rickman or whatever his name is chances are you don’t know **** about footy or well ... life.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

scotchberry wrote: April 28, 2019, 5:52 pm
Thomas Raider wrote: April 28, 2019, 4:06 pm All I can say is great effort boys,no ball in 2nd half,still could`ve pulled it off. Hodgo just needs to trust Sam in the 20m zone...we get the same amount of ball in 2nd half as Manly we win...simple :cmon
I don’t think it’s as simple as Hodgson trusting Sam in the 20m Zone.

I think the greater problem is that we don’t seem to be coached in any way on any plays, structures, running formations.

Surely at training we could do a simple pass the ball to the halfback, have the 12 run an inside line and the 4 run outside line and Sam decide who to pass it to ?

Any halfback in first grade no matter what level can do this, but it seems to be constantly in our game plan not to ?

Example in point was 1st half on 4th tackle when (I can’t remember who) was held up and we had a stop and start from center field 10 meter line play the ball.
Somehow our hooker ended up on that play kicking from 3 meters of the sideline into the legs of 2 opposing players directly on top of him ?

That’s a coaching issue to me that we aren’t training properly

I can’t remember the last time we had a simple decoy runner in any backline movement .
Yeah I just want to agree with this post and add to it with a point I made. Williams would often just do what Hodgson would do anyway which is turn the ball inside to a forward running dead straight with no support play.

Its been an issue here for a long time but structure in the 20m is garbage. Stuart teams have never been known as attacking sides. However, most of our success with attack is down to having a lot of really good attacking players rather than really good attacking structure.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

PigRickman wrote: April 28, 2019, 7:49 pm
Wiki Special wrote: April 28, 2019, 6:50 pm Yeah, definitely have Guler in front of Collins.

I like him a lot
Very aggressive with ball in hand and loves it lay the wood in defence
He’s had a little youthful exuberance that got knocked out pretty quickly
I don’t think he’s as good with ball in hand as Guler but defensively he’s very stout
Horsburgh to me looks like a guy with a higher floor but lower ceiling, and Guler a higher ceiling but lower floor
If I had to bet on one to play 6-8 seasons of NRL footy I might take Hors, if i was betting on one to be a rep player, I’d take Guler
I guess I just prefer what Horsburgh brings to this squad at this stage. I will say though that I think they have similar ceilings. And because of his defence I think Guler has the lower floor.