Sea Eagles 13+
6%

Total votes: 18

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Re: 2019 Rd 7 V Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by cat »

gergreg wrote: April 24, 2019, 9:02 pm You having a lend of us Cat?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
no , I think it is totally unacceptable to expect any club to play there and risk injury when
1. there is evidence that says the risk there is a lot higher then anywhere else
2. they cant even provide an injured player with a medicab to come off, I have been at brookvale and seen serious injuries occur and the player be chaired off because they couldnt even find a stretcher!
Vaccinated
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Manly should relocate to a decent ground at Gosford. Brook vale is a rubbish field and genuinely not up to nrl standard.

I can see the point of Stuart raising it in the media in order to highlight the risk to players but I’d rather the focus was on the fact that it has been a tough road trip for the raiders and they have a plan to turn that around!
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

pickles wrote:Manly should relocate to a decent ground at Gosford. Brook vale is a rubbish field and genuinely not up to nrl standard.

I can see the point of Stuart raising it in the media in order to highlight the risk to players but I’d rather the focus was on the fact that it has been a tough road trip for the raiders and they have a plan to turn that around!
I think he has brought it up because he was asked the question and it has been very topical in Sydney right now
It's also Ricky's way of getting points across to the NRL cause no matter what Greenberg says him and Ricky don't have a great relationship away from the cameras

A few clubs are discussing brookvale in the media because it has always been bad but seems to be even worse this year, its only 6 rounds in to the comp and maybe 3 or 4 games at Brookvale and we already have multiple long term injuries

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Not being a smart ass but Manly play 50% of their games there and do not seem to have an issue with it?

I am sure if they were dropping like other teams were they would be doing something themselves.

AFB is suspended and Turbo has a hamstring injury, outside of that they have no players missing? Let alone any caused by the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It's a cop out teams use as they don't want to play there cause the facilities suck

ACL injuries are indicators of other issues, or caused by contact. Otherwise there'd be more than one each game that's played there

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Settle down guys, I'd like to hear more about these injuries from Brookvale oval before we let the facts get in the way.
We are going through similar struggles with our home ground - ie. Lack of government support for a new ground.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

If CNK has been cleared of any structural damage and has only bone bruising then playing him isn't any greater risk than the next bloke. It will be only pain tolerant issue for him. No point resting him as there is no greater risk for him.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

In Sticky's defence he didn't raise the matter. He was asked the question by a journo and gave his opinion. His opinion then became the story. To be honest I've not seen or heard many people rushing to the defence of Brookvale Oval a.k.a. Lottoland. For an oval sponsored by an organisation which runs one of the Worlds largest cash prize lotteries to have the 'facilities' it does, is a joke.

This year the League is going to use Lang Park a.k.a. Suncorp Stadium for an entire round of football. Why - because the facilities are first class. I'm not expecting a suburban ground to ever rival Lang Park, but I think the NRL should be speaking with the Manly club, local council and State and Federal politicians about an upgrade/rebuild of Brookvale Oval. I'm not expecting anything as lavish as Parramatta Stadium a.k.a. BankWest Stadium, but as Rugby League would be one of the major tennants at Brookvale Oval they should have some leverage to use.

Having said all of that, the conditions are the same for both sides. I am expecting the Raiders to go out with the same positive/aggressive mindset they have done in most of their games this year. Whatever was said prior to the Storm game should not be repeated. The body language showed they were on the back foot most of the first half. Sutton to lock and Sam to half have proved to be winners ever since that Storm match. Go to Brookvale, conquer Manly, come home safe and sound.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gergreg wrote:Settle down guys, I'd like to hear more about these injuries from Brookvale oval before we let the facts get in the way.
We are going through similar struggles with our home ground - ie. Lack of government support for a new ground.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 89ed5e92fb

You and TWs can settle down
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

-TW- wrote: April 24, 2019, 11:15 pm It's a cop out teams use as they don't want to play there cause the facilities suck

ACL injuries are indicators of other issues, or caused by contact. Otherwise there'd be more than one each game that's played there

Please explain?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
-TW- wrote: April 24, 2019, 11:15 pm It's a cop out teams use as they don't want to play there cause the facilities suck

Please explain?
If the surface was the predominant cause of the injuries, more than one player per game would do an ACL

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gangrenous wrote:
gergreg wrote:Settle down guys, I'd like to hear more about these injuries from Brookvale oval before we let the facts get in the way.

"by Staff writers"

raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

RedRaider wrote: April 25, 2019, 6:04 am This year the League is going to use Lang Park a.k.a. Suncorp Stadium for an entire round of football. Why - because the facilities are first class.
No, because someone paid the NRL a lot of money to have it at the second-worst playing surface in the league. I'm worried about that round, too. Suncorp's surface barely survives one game of football a weekend, and they want to play eight on it?

Probably I'm spoiled because of the gorgeous, immaculate state that the Canberra Stadium surface is always kept in, but giving the Magic Round to Suncorp was almost the worst idea I could think of.

I reckon that the only reason Brookvale is kept in is because it's a Sydney club's ground. No way would the Raiders be allowed to continue playing there if it was our home ground.

It is funny watching the Manly fans go off claiming we're making excuses when we're higher on the ladder and have won more games this season.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2019 Rd 7 V Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by gangrenous »

-TW- wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:

Please explain?
If the surface was the predominant cause of the injuries, more than one player per game would do an ACL

That is one of the silliest things I’ve heard.

Smoking mustn’t cause cancer then, otherwise each cigarette would give you 1 cancer.

-TW- wrote:"by Staff writers"
Staff writers is about 59 rungs up the evidence ladder above your stance at this point. Feel free to provide counter evidence.
Last edited by gangrenous on April 25, 2019, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

raiderskater wrote: April 25, 2019, 8:50 am
RedRaider wrote: April 25, 2019, 6:04 am This year the League is going to use Lang Park a.k.a. Suncorp Stadium for an entire round of football. Why - because the facilities are first class.
No, because someone paid the NRL a lot of money to have it at the second-worst playing surface in the league. I'm worried about that round, too. Suncorp's surface barely survives one game of football a weekend, and they want to play eight on it?

Probably I'm spoiled because of the gorgeous, immaculate state that the Canberra Stadium surface is always kept in, but giving the Magic Round to Suncorp was almost the worst idea I could think of.

I reckon that the only reason Brookvale is kept in is because it's a Sydney club's ground. No way would the Raiders be allowed to continue playing there if it was our home ground.

It is funny watching the Manly fans go off claiming we're making excuses when we're higher on the ladder and have won more games this season.
Imagine if it rains during the magic round..

That pitch will be destroyed.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:

I couldn't find a link to the full study/statistics. There aren't that many grounds that host regular NRL games so 10 percent doesn't seem that many - without comparison.

Do you agree we should forfeit the game to avoid injury?

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gergreg wrote:
gangrenous wrote:

I couldn't find a link to the full study/statistics. There aren't that many grounds that host regular NRL games so 10 percent doesn't seem that many - without comparison.

Well at least you’ve come at this from a more sensible argument.

At some rough numbers there are 10 games there this year out of 192 premiership games. Around 5%.

That would suggest Brookvale is over-indexed by roughly 100%.

Yes you should have some skepticism without being able to see the study. If they’ve done it for just a year where there were a couple of long term injuries at Brookvale by random chance, then the study will be skewed.

No I don’t believe the game should be forfeited. I do believe we should be extra careful and not risk players susceptible to injuries from uneven ground.

I certainly believe that you shouldn’t give others the tin foil hat treatment, when what little evidence is currently available to us actually backs their view not yours.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

raiderskater wrote: April 25, 2019, 8:50 am

We've only got a few weeks to wait raiderskater. But I understand that the surface issues of a few years ago are fully corrected. My Brother in Law goes to a lot of Super Rugby matches. After the debacle of the rugby match at the SCG I asked him about the surface in Brisbane. He said it has been ok, but there was a fair bit of rain in the middle of March which softened the surface for the matches in late March. I understand it is ok now, though. Are there any Brisbane Raider fans who could comment on the current Lang Park surface?
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Didn't know where to put this so it ends up here.
I met Gary Coynes parents this morning and they were very happy to talk about his football journey. Lovely people with a great love of rugby league. I thoroughly enjoyed reminiscing about the raiders glory days with them.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:
gergreg wrote:
gangrenous wrote:

Well at least you’ve come at this from a more sensible argument.

At some rough numbers there are 10 games there this year out of 192 premiership games. Around 5%.

That would suggest Brookvale is over-indexed by roughly 100%.

Yes you should have some skepticism without being able to see the study. If they’ve done it for just a year where there were a couple of long term injuries at Brookvale by random chance, then the study will be skewed.

No I don’t believe the game should be forfeited. I do believe we should be extra careful and not risk players susceptible to injuries from uneven ground.

I certainly believe that you shouldn’t give others the tin foil hat treatment, when what little evidence is currently available to us actually backs their view not yours.
You don't think suggesting we forfeit the match deserves a 'tin foil hat' response? I'm happy to concede that Brookvale oval isn't at the standard of most other grounds but I think it's a real stretch to blame injuries on the surface when there are so many other factors that can cause injury.

It's not as though the Manly RL club deliberately let their stadium get to the state it is in.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gergreg wrote:You don't think suggesting we forfeit the match deserves a 'tin foil hat' response?
Not particularly. It’s not one that I subscribe to, but I understand other posters feel protective of the players and might feel that’s a reasonable approach.

The responses were also not along the lines of “I think that response is over the top”, but “you’re making things up there is nothing to see here”. They’re very different.
gergreg wrote: I'm happy to concede that Brookvale oval isn't at the standard of most other grounds but I think it's a real stretch to blame injuries on the surface when there are so many other factors that can cause injury.
Well, we best never discuss anything with multiple contributing factors again then.

I don’t think it’s a real stretch at all to suggest a playing surface can contribute to injuries. I think just about anyone who’s played sport can relate to that. I know I’ve rolled ankles in grounds with pot holes. I’ve seen a nasty knee injury from stumbling in one also.

gergreg wrote: It's not as though the Manly RL club deliberately let their stadium get to the state it is in.
This is completely irrelevant.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

10% of games means absolutely nothing, that ground isn’t up to scratch but of that 10% how many had any contribution from the surfaced?

Like a broken eye socket from a headclash isn’t surface related unless the headclass was caused by a player losing his footing

An acl sustained by contact is the same, where as an acl sustained without contact could be surface related

A blanket 10% means absolutely nothing and no reasonable conclusion can be drawn from it regarding the surface

That said Brookvale is absolutely a **** hole that should be bulldozed at the early possible convenience, preferably with the locals still inside
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:
gergreg wrote:You don't think suggesting we forfeit the match deserves a 'tin foil hat' response?
Not particularly. It’s not one that I subscribe to, but I understand other posters feel protective of the players and might feel that’s a reasonable approach.

The responses were also not along the lines of “I think that response is over the top”, but “you’re making things up there is nothing to see here”. They’re very different.
gergreg wrote: I'm happy to concede that Brookvale oval isn't at the standard of most other grounds but I think it's a real stretch to blame injuries on the surface when there are so many other factors that can cause injury.
Well, we best never discuss anything with multiple contributing factors again then.

I don’t think it’s a real stretch at all to suggest a playing surface can contribute to injuries. I think just about anyone who’s played sport can relate to that. I know I’ve rolled ankles in grounds with pot holes. I’ve seen a nasty knee injury from stumbling in one also.

gergreg wrote: It's not as though the Manly RL club deliberately let their stadium get to the state it is in.
It is completely relevant. Cat said clubs have a responsibility to...... and this should include a safe field.....

Sure my initial response was flippant but IMO it deserved no less. We are all guilty of ridiculous claims at times and over exaggeration (myself included) but Cat has a history of laying the boot into other clubs for their work practises or player conduct while completely ignoring our club's own flaws.

Suggesting we forfeit a match, which would be extremely detrimental to our club, is in no way a reasonable suggestion in any way.

Lastly we all support a team playing arguably the toughest, most physically taxing sport in the world. The injuries sustained I would say have very little to do with the playing surface. I see your article with a small sample size and raise it two full knee reconstructions for Terry Campese (playing at Canberra stadium) from simply changing direction. I don't think from memory there was even a hand on him in either situation.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Burn it to the ground and salt the earth hey piggy ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Why is anyone defending the state of the Brookvale Oval surface? That's just being perverse.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jarrod Croker on cusp of century as Canberra Raiders captain

He is Canberra's all-time leading point-scorer and Jarrod Croker will add another feather to his cap when he captains the Raiders for the 100th time in Sunday's road clash with Manly.

"I was still pretty young then at only 24 and I think I have changed a lot since then," Croker said. "I've definitely matured a lot and you can come a long way in four years.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/25/pro ... a-captain/

Video: Teammates Josh Hodgson and Sia Soliola pay tribute to Jarrod Croker as the Canberra Captain gets set to play his 100th game as Captain of the Canberra Raiders: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/25/rai ... to-croker/

Video: Raiders five-eighth Jack Wighton has claimed that he is growing in confidence each week as he adjusts to life in the halves: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... very-week/

NRL Match Preview: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... h-preview/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders fast start built on unbreakable spirit: Stuart

They've been one of the early success stories of the NRL season, but the origins of the five victories for the Canberra Raiders can be traced back to 2016.

"They've got to make choices, I've given them the platform, but some players it's taken three or four years for them to finally flick the switch," Stuart said. "Not making the eight over the last two years after getting there in 2016 and seeing how good it is has given the players a bit of extra motivation.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... it-stuart/
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:Why is anyone defending the state of the Brookvale Oval surface? That's just being perverse.
Blaming the state of their ground on the club is no different to blaming the Canberra Raiders for not having a stadium in civic.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

PigRickman wrote:10% of games means absolutely nothing, that ground isn’t up to scratch but of that 10% how many had any contribution from the surfaced?

Like a broken eye socket from a headclash isn’t surface related unless the headclass was caused by a player losing his footing

An acl sustained by contact is the same, where as an acl sustained without contact could be surface related

A blanket 10% means absolutely nothing and no reasonable conclusion can be drawn from it regarding the surface

That said Brookvale is absolutely a **** hole that should be bulldozed at the early possible convenience, preferably with the locals still inside
That’s not entirely true. Your points are right that the stats should exclude non-surface related injuries to try to draw better conclusions. But what other factors are going to give you a higher injury rate at a particular ground if you did have the statistics to back the rate being higher?

Also worth considering you could have a head clash as the result of a slip or stumble on a poor surface.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gergreg wrote:
gangrenous wrote:

It is completely relevant. Cat said clubs have a responsibility to...... and this should include a safe field.....

Sure my initial response was flippant but IMO it deserved no less. We are all guilty of ridiculous claims at times and over exaggeration (myself included) but Cat has a history of laying the boot into other clubs for their work practises or player conduct while completely ignoring our club's own flaws.

Suggesting we forfeit a match, which would be extremely detrimental to our club, is in no way a reasonable suggestion in any way.

Lastly we all support a team playing arguably the toughest, most physically taxing sport in the world. The injuries sustained I would say have very little to do with the playing surface. I see your article with a small sample size and raise it two full knee reconstructions for Terry Campese (playing at Canberra stadium) from simply changing direction. I don't think from memory there was even a hand on him in either situation.
- It’s irrelevant to the points I raised with you. Perhaps you should have separately quoted cat to raise that.

- So discuss what you object to, and don’t ridicule people like their root concern is completely fabricated.

- I don’t know it’s a small sample, I’m just guessing since they don’t quote the full stats and it’s what I’d expect from the media. It’s going to be a hell of a lot bigger than your one guy sample though.

I think I’ve made my point. I’m going to move on now.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Mature Jack Wighton's Canberra Raiders evolution continues

Canberra Raiders five-eighth Jack Wighton is maturing off the field and evolving on it as he embodies a new look Green Machine that's putting the past behind it.

"I probably wouldn't have handled the [five eighth] role three or four years ago. We tried it and I wasn't quite up to it. But I'm still learning now and I've got a lot of learning to go. The maturity and the extra couple of years has helped."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:
gergreg wrote:
gangrenous wrote:

- It’s irrelevant to the points I raised with you. Perhaps you should have separately quoted cat to raise that.

- So discuss what you object to, and don’t ridicule people like their root concern is completely fabricated.

- I don’t know it’s a small sample, I’m just guessing since they don’t quote the full stats and it’s what I’d expect from the media. It’s going to be a hell of a lot bigger than your one guy sample though.

I think I’ve made my point. I’m going to move on now.
or maybe you should have actually read Cat's comments before you came in to defend her? But anyway what is your response to those statements from Cat?

Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Are the Raiders doing the ANZAC jersey this year
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: April 25, 2019, 3:10 pm
PigRickman wrote:10% of games means absolutely nothing, that ground isn’t up to scratch but of that 10% how many had any contribution from the surfaced?

That’s not entirely true. Your points are right that the stats should exclude non-surface related injuries to try to draw better conclusions. But what other factors are going to give you a higher injury rate at a particular ground if you did have the statistics to back the rate being higher?

Also worth considering you could have a head clash as the result of a slip or stumble on a poor surface.
We've got a stat that looks at one year, isolated, and just gives us a blanket 10% stat.... it couldnt be more meaningless, and you cant possibly draw any conclusions because they havent actually do anything work to correlate what they are looking at to the injuries.

What was 2nd? What is 2nd was Lang Park, how does that contextualise the Brookvale stats? How did suburban grounds compare to better facilities? What's the correlation there across the years.

How many impact injuries vs soft tissue? Did the players who ended up with long term injuries go into the game with damage already done and something in the game be it surface or other exacerbate the problems? Even if there an injury where there is no contact and it's a case of lost footing, was it wet conditions? did the player have the correct studs in?

We dont know ANY of this information, we just get 10% and im supposed to draw something from that? They havent even done the basics of telling us they took the time to exclude contact injuries... you'd have to think if they bothered to do so they may have mentioned, and if they didnt, then neither you, i or even the DT themselves could possibly say the surface contributes to more injuries!

It's a **** **** show of an article and it's a damn shame, but if i were journo, that's the sort of story i'd want to write, but i'd want to do it properly... this... this you wouldnt wipe your **** with.

re: your bolded part, i believe my bolded part shows i very much considered this very thing :)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders' blast from the past ahead of Manly clash

Canberra Raiders five-eighth Jack Wighton still remembers the spray at Brookvale last year, when coach Ricky Stuart labelled the soft after their loss there to the Sea Eagles.

"He definitely did come out and give us a good spray," Wighton said of Stuart. "It is a good indicator not to nap, not to fall asleep. We're going up there for a job and we've got a big job to do no matter whether we've got a couple of wins or not.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239