Sea Eagles 13+
6%

Total votes: 18

Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: 2019 Rd 7 V Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews

Post by Crusader »

-PJ- wrote: April 22, 2019, 10:05 am Let's pick on Brendan Elliott..

I hope Dessie picks him.
he will, same team for manly
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Raiders will need to aim for around 16 wins in the season for a top 4 finish. (Not as easy to calculate compared to top 8, which is generally win 50+% of your games with a positive for and against)

Top 4 would require around 11 wins from the remaining 18 games or 61% win rate from here
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Should win this as long as we can control Tapau and his offloads, he and fonua blake normally terrorise our pack but given fonua Blake is suspended and
We are 1000% better defensively and more mobile in the middle this year should mean Manlys strengths are contained, and Turbo out is obviously huge
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

This is going to be a very tough game. Manly have played with a ton of ticket this season. Most of it without Turbo as well. I reckon we'll need to be better than what we're against Broncos to get away with this one.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

When was the last time we won at brookvake?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

2016?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

English lessons improve skills, increase thrills for Canberra Raiders

It was only a matter of time before Canberra's English contingent started to affect how the team played. First John Bateman soccered the ball onto Joey Leilua for his first try, while later Jack Wighton "headed" the ball to set up Ryan Sutton's four pointer.

"I think that might be a bit of the football that we're doing before training," Josh Hodgson joked about the two tries. "Sometimes when you're playing hard and you out in the effort, the bounce of the ball goes your way."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/22/eng ... -canberra/
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Haha, that's a nice angle on things. Incorporating the pom's soccer heritage.

What we did see where some good examples of the 1 percenters we've been lacking in recent years to take out these close games. Bateman trying to keep alive a bad pass, Sutton playing on what looked like a knock on. Another time late where Broncos offloaded in the attacking zone and Croker came from well off the ball to grab possession back.

Well done to Stick and the coaching staff for lifting the mindset of this team. They righlty copped the brunt of the criticism when we were down. Only fair they get credit for the current form.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Northern Raider wrote: April 22, 2019, 12:36 pm This is going to be a very tough game. Manly have played with a ton of ticket this season. Most of it without Turbo as well. I reckon we'll need to be better than what we're against Broncos to get away with this one.
I mentioned it in the Broncos game day thread but we will definitely need to be better this weekend to beat Manly at Brookvale. Although we've had a great run so far and a loss wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, I do think that these are the type of games we need to be winning to be considered up there with the likes of Melbourne and Easts.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

There's a worry we'll come out flat and get pumped

We've been up for over a month, this is where the psych will earn their $$

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Raiders_Pat wrote: April 22, 2019, 2:44 pm
Northern Raider wrote: April 22, 2019, 12:36 pm This is going to be a very tough game. Manly have played with a ton of ticket this season. Most of it without Turbo as well. I reckon we'll need to be better than what we're against Broncos to get away with this one.
I mentioned it in the Broncos game day thread but we will definitely need to be better this weekend to beat Manly at Brookvale. Although we've had a great run so far and a loss wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, I do think that these are the type of games we need to be winning to be considered up there with the likes of Melbourne and Easts.
Very tough run coming up. After Manly we have Roosters, Panthers (due to hit form) and Bunnies. Could easily lose our next 4 even if we play well. The month ahead could well define our season.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:Haha, that's a nice angle on things. Incorporating the pom's soccer heritage.

What we did see where some good examples of the 1 percenters we've been lacking in recent years to take out these close games. Bateman trying to keep alive a bad pass, Sutton playing on what looked like a knock on. Another time late where Broncos offloaded in the attacking zone and Croker came from well off the ball to grab possession back.

Well done to Stick and the coaching staff for lifting the mindset of this team. They righlty copped the brunt of the criticism when we were down. Only fair they get credit for the current form.
Not to mention when Wighton dropped it cold, onto his knee and Whitehead chased it through. But clearly only Billy Slater is skilled enough to drop a ball cold and score from it.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The battle of Brookvale's surface

Goat track. Potato field. Cow paddock. And they're the nice things you hear about Brookvale Oval. Sorry, can't repeat the others. Not in print anyway. Yet that's where the Canberra Raiders find themselves travelling next weekend, despite the oval coming under fire for its dodgy playing surface this season.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

gergreg wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:Haha, that's a nice angle on things. Incorporating the pom's soccer heritage.

Not to mention when Wighton dropped it cold, onto his knee and Whitehead chased it through. But clearly only Billy Slater is skilled enough to drop a ball cold and score from it.

That was very smart play, if it rolls dead it is a 7 tackle set and twenty metre tap. His effort meant it was a scrum where it was knocked on.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

#Canberra #Raiders fans, @JoshHodgson89 will be on #NRL360 tonight, after the Easter Monday football on @FOXNRL ! #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

gergreg wrote: April 22, 2019, 3:20 pm

They changed the rule after the Slater one I think.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

A little angel guiding the Canberra Raiders' NRL dream

"Fly high angel, this year is for you". That angel is Bella, the young Canberra Raiders supporter who passed away last week.

"I look at my own kids and Bella was the same size as my daughter. She was only 12 and to see a little girl, or any kid, go through that kind of pain, it's really heartbreaking," Papalii said.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders hoping Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is fit for Sea Eagles

Canberra Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad immediately feared the worst as his knee bends backwards.

"As soon as it happened I thought the worst," Nicoll-Klokstad said. "As time went on, it seemed to get a bit better. I didn't want to come off and have it be alright and then I'd be ready for next week.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This bit doesn't sound good...

"Apart from [one hiccup], the knee felt alright and it gave way at the end of the game. It got me there and we got the two points.
BVRaider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by BVRaider »

1. Rapana
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Simmonson
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Lui
11. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Sutton

14. Havili
15. Soliola
16. Young
17. Collins

18. Horsburgh
19. Sezer
20. Oldfield
21. Murchie

I wouldn't be risking Nicoll-Klokstad this week on the best of grounds let alone Brookvale Oval, give him a rest and reward Simmonson for his form for Mounties.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

BVRaider wrote: April 22, 2019, 7:18 pm 1. Rapana
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Simmonson
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Lui
11. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Sutton

14. Havili
15. Soliola
16. Young
17. Collins

18. Horsburgh
19. Sezer
20. Oldfield
21. Murchie

I wouldn't be risking Nicoll-Klokstad this week on the best of grounds let alone Brookvale Oval, give him a rest and reward Simmonson for his form for Mounties.
The Klock has finally earned that FG spot he's craved so I' give him every normal chance and take medico's advice. I've got really good faith in our medical/physio staff the last couple of years.

If not, I think you've played out our best team. We almost felt flat last week so if Hors came into the team I wouldn't mind the energy he brings either. Nothing against Collins, he was safe.
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

Everyone seems to be a little wary of our team as if it seems too good to be true
Have we just been lucky so far?
Manly is running a nsw cup team around 4 better players
We should win this comfortably if we are the real deal

I think we are
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m with BV, don’t think you risk him straight up on that surface...
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

It's nice being lucky / not the "real deal" / not had a real test yet and being 5-1 up. I look forward to maybe being 7-1 up when we face the roosters and still answering those questions.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

I'm excited at prospect of Leilua running at Brad Parker all day.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Schifty wrote:I'm excited at prospect of Leilua running at Brad Parker all day.
I've put plenty of **** on Parker over the past 12 months but he's been pretty solid this year. Still I'd expect BJ to give him a rugby league lesson.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Woodgers wrote: April 21, 2019, 10:19 pm If CNK is in ANY discomfort and we think he could benefit for a week out we put Rapana at fullback and bring Oldfield in.

There is this talk of rotating the forwards this year to keep them fresh, what about the others? CNK has had a monster workload so far and at 5-1 against Manly away we should be looking further down the track and trying to get CNK back to 100% as that knee looked dubious. There is more at play than 2 points at Manly and I actually think a rest for the kid and giving Rapana a licence to roam here would be a good idea. And Oldfield knows the ground and brings in that fresh rotation in the back 5 to start the sets. That's what i'd do and I think Hudson Young gave enough to keep his spot, his energy was great for us at the end of the game today.
I agree. We might keep CNK on the paddock and playing at his best if we give him a week off now to recuperate. He’s become a very important part of our team and we want him 100%. I was amazed he kept playing after his knee bent the wrong way and it has to be sore today.

Also agree with Rapa to fullback if CNK is out. I really like Simonsson but there is absolutely no way he’s ready for fullback yet. Particularly against DCE. We’d lose and kill his confidence in one go.

Not sure how fit Oldie is but I’d be happy with him or Bailey on the wing.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Is it Sunday yet???
I am getting soooooo nervous about this game Image

That article on how bad brookvale is is not helping!

We are doing so well, and yes ee have reasonable depth this season but I will cry if we cop a serious injury Sunday

Right now I would be happy with a close loss and 17 healthy players

I think with stats like they have on Brookvale something needs to be done and more then just a tick the box one off visit from an " independent " grass expert

Vaccinated
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

cat wrote: April 22, 2019, 11:56 pm Is it Sunday yet???
I am getting soooooo nervous about this game Image

That article on how bad brookvale is is not helping!

We are doing so well, and yes ee have reasonable depth this season but I will cry if we cop a serious injury Sunday

Right now I would be happy with a close loss and 17 healthy players

I think with stats like they have on Brookvale something needs to be done and more then just a tick the box one off visit from an " independent " grass expert

Brisbane are there in early May, so 'Jimmy the Jet' should be able to give it the once over.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

As much as I don’t want to change this winning team, I think realistically premierships are won by strong squads with good depth. We are starting to see good players missing selection in the forwards each week and hopefully the selection headaches will get worse as young guys step up further and Tarps returns. I loving what CNK is doing but it wouldn’t be the worst thing to see Oldfield or Simonsson grab half a chance and have a blinder to build depth in another position.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I agree - rest CNK this week when playing on a sub-standard Brookvale field. I think resting a prop would come in handy too. We have the depth to do so but if the coaching staff elects against that then we have to trust their judgement.

Also, someone above mentioned the next 4 weeks being big. I agree. Winning 2 would be handy. Obviously the more the better but going 0-4 or 1-3 would put a dent in our top 4 aspirations.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: April 22, 2019, 9:17 pm It's nice being lucky / not the "real deal" / not had a real test yet and being 5-1 up. I look forward to maybe being 7-1 up when we face the roosters and still answering those questions.
Can we shove it in their Rooster faces when we face the Roosters?
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Any word on Corey? Was Badger right?

Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No highlights reel yet... and the NSWRL.com.au site doesn't ever seem to announce judiciary charges.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Wackos Whispers says CNK is in a brace and racing the clock to be fit. No surprise really, but one to keep an eye on.

EDIT: NRL Physio saying 1 week, maybe. Finishing the game was a good sign.