Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Re: 2019 Rd 6 V Broncos: Game Day

Post by Neeeegz »

gangrenous wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
PigRickman wrote: April 21, 2019, 7:15 pm
gangrenous wrote: April 21, 2019, 6:40 pm I think the only thing stopping us being premiership contenders at present is there are still a lot of dumb decisions.
Even if we eliminated all of that, we're still very limited in the red zone, we have Hodgson who's decision making can be shakey, and then 2 (3) halves and a fullback who arent creative or skilled ball players... The ceiling is basically this unless Sezer/Williams picks it up in a serious way, or Wighton/CNK takes a huge ball playing leap

Our short kicking game is also very inconsistent.
'give the ball to BJ or Toots' works OK in the red zone.
Yeah I’m actually fine with this approach. I think as long as the Raiders hold their heads, they’ll have the chances and I’ll back they’ll find a way.
Last year we probably lose this game, but Charnze being tough as hell, Bateman and Sutton not giving an inch and their will to win is giving the boys an extra leg, I hope we can get it over manly, because the boys looked flat after half time and may be fatigue from playing high energy footy ?

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

dubby wrote: April 21, 2019, 8:36 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
dubby wrote: April 21, 2019, 8:30 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
El_Capitano wrote: April 21, 2019, 8:18 pm Did someone try to pull CNK’s head off tonight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nah I think thats just his usual unfortunate look.
My wife calls him Samari Pizza Cat

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Hahaha - not sure what that even means but it suits him.
It's my wifey relating his samari hairdo with some random 90s cartoon I'd never heard of.

But I've taken to yelling out "GO PIZZA CAT" when he has a run

I’m on board with Pizza Cat. Reckon it might stick
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

GreenGirl wrote:
gangrenous wrote: April 21, 2019, 4:38 pm Top defence from Williams in that set
I was happy with his defence the whole game.
Yes. Thus needs more discussion. He has been very very good in defence

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Sid wrote:Nothing I’ve seen this round has convinced me that Raiders or Rabbitohs are as good as storm or roosters despite all 4 being on equal wins and rabbits beating roosters back in round 1. Still though right now I’ll bloody well take being best of the rest
We haven't clicked yet is the good thing, wighton has to get the errors out of his game and we can change gears. I'm happy so far, plenty of improvement left in this team.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I keep looking at the NRL ladder and second guessing myself..

Then..

I'll go back and have another look..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Billy Walker wrote:
dubby wrote: April 21, 2019, 8:36 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
dubby wrote: April 21, 2019, 8:30 pm
Billy Walker wrote: Nah I think thats just his usual unfortunate look.
My wife calls him Samari Pizza Cat

Hahaha - not sure what that even means but it suits him.
It's my wifey relating his samari hairdo with some random 90s cartoon I'd never heard of.

But I've taken to yelling out "GO PIZZA CAT" when he has a run

I’m on board with Pizza Cat. Reckon it might stick
Yeah hard to say why it suits, but I like it

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

The Broncos should feel bad because they are bad

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

With all this talk of fatigue building, is there any chance we might see the odd forward rested for a game here or there to freshen up? There are reasonable back up options with the horse, Guler, Collins and even the forgotten Bateman able to hold down a position if we need to rotate. Is that something that is ever done?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Neeeegz wrote: April 21, 2019, 8:43 pm The Broncos should feel bad because they are bad

SING IT
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH REPORT: Canberra Raiders within touching distance of top with win over Brisbane Broncos

Two points. That's all that separates the Canberra Raiders from the top of the NRL ladder. But for a late try to the Brisbane Broncos, they would've been there.

"That doesn't worry me [not being top]. Winning's the thing that worries me. When we have been winning recently we've been winning by big points, but we can't defend," Stuart said. "Now we're putting a lot of pride into our defence. That's the important part for me at the moment is the way they're defending and showing that resilient, comfortable style defence."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders' Jack Wighton using his head as halves switch kicks into gear

His defence was the catalyst for the move, but Jack Wighton's multiple weapons are the reason he's excelling in it. Anyways, whatever's happened, here's the scene. Wighton attacks the line and looks to grubber in behind only for the ball to ricochet up onto his head for the perfect pass to Ryan Sutton to score his first NRL try.

CANBERRA RAIDERS 26 (Joey Leilua 2, Nick Cotric, John Bateman, Ryan Sutton tries; Jarrod Croker 3 goals) bt BRISBANE BRONCOS 22 (Kodi Nikorima, David Fifita, Corey Oates, Jack Bird tries; Jamayne Isaako 3 goals) at Canberra Stadium. Referees: Matt Cecchin, Adam Cassidy. Crowd: 17,193.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

TEAM SONG: Round 6 Canberra Raiders team song: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... v-broncos/

MATCH REPORT: Raiders tough out four straight as pressure builds on Broncos: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c863f101d9

MATCH REPORT: Leilua runs rampant as Raiders roll over Broncos: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/21/joe ... e-broncos/

MATCH REPORT: Raiders beat Broncos for first time since 2013: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... ince-2013/

Stuart sure CNK will shake off knee injury for Sea Eagles stoush: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/21/stu ... es-stoush/

Siebold asks fans to trust the process: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/21/bri ... e-process/

‘Buy of the year’: John Bateman leaves fans in awe after another huge game for Raiders: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... fec6128fd9

VIDEO: Match Highlights: Raiders v Broncos: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/21/mat ... v-broncos/

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... v-broncos/

VIDEO: Seibold knows fans will 'stick solid' with young Broncos: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/21/sei ... g-broncos/

VIDEO: Stuart praises 'more mature' Raiders squad: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/21/stu ... ers-squad/

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... t-round-6/
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I was really hoping BJ would break the line and compete 1 on 1 against daria Boyd today and I that’s what I got... Happy Easter everyone
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

-PJ- wrote:I keep looking at the NRL ladder and second guessing myself..

Then..

I know what you mean, Peej. I've been guilty of the same thing. Plus, we had 17k in Canberra

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

PigRickman wrote:
Boomercm wrote: April 21, 2019, 8:08 pm
gangrenous wrote: April 21, 2019, 6:40 pm I think the only thing stopping us being premiership contenders at present is there are still a lot of dumb decisions.
Even if we eliminated all of that, we're still very limited in the red zone, we have Hodgson who's decision making can be shakey, and then 2 (3) halves and a fullback who arent creative or skilled ball players... The ceiling is basically this unless Sezer/Williams picks it up in a serious way, or Wighton/CNK takes a huge ball playing leap

the ceiling is 5-1 and a win on our (physically) off week? I can handle that. That was the loss we had to have, but we won.

imo the criticism of our halves is mostly unwarranted. They are getting the ball where it is needed well enough... We got around their up and in defence a few times to make big yardage (before Joey's try a standout). And we scored 26 points.
The ceiling I speak of is clearly being a step below the only two teams that matter this year
The storm and roosters

This sort of football will take us a looooooong way, but we do need some creativity in our ball playing to go all the way imo
I disagree admirably, with our back five, we need our halves to be serviceable, and not a weak link, with Jack and Sams improved defence, I think that's all we need, we have a great forward pack of rep players. Our window is open, it's up to the guys and some luck to make it to the big dance... imo.

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

El_Capitano wrote:Did someone try to pull CNK’s head off tonight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, got a good poke in the eye too, plus his knee bending like a rubber man the wrong way, still worked hard after it all too, tough as nails.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

What’s the go with Croker’s goal kicking? He cost us top spot today which is neither here nor there but he needs to start slotting a few or he will cost us games. Is it off the back of his knee injury or has he just got the yips or what?
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Billy Walker wrote: April 21, 2019, 8:51 pm What’s the go with Croker’s goal kicking? He cost us top spot today which is neither here nor there but he needs to start slotting a few or he will cost us games. Is it off the back of his knee injury or has he just got the yips or what?

He was a bit down last year too, I think

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

PigRickman wrote:
Neeeegz wrote: April 21, 2019, 8:43 pm The Broncos should feel bad because they are bad

SING IT
Yee haa yee haa the Broncos are bad wooo, they should feel bad yeh see hooo, dunna nunna gerr woooo? Like that ?

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

dubby wrote: April 21, 2019, 8:46 pm

Then..

I know what you mean, Peej. I've been guilty of the same thing. Plus, we had 17k in Canberra

Hats off to the local Raiders fans and those that have travelled the past two weeks.

Wasn't there 14k odd last week in that dirty 6pm time slot v Eels ?

And another 17k today...that's impressive.

I sent a txt to a mate in WA a couple of hours ago(Knights fan)

It read.."Check out the NRL ladder..loser !!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Neeeegz wrote: April 21, 2019, 8:47 pm
PigRickman wrote:
Boomercm wrote: April 21, 2019, 8:08 pm

the ceiling is 5-1 and a win on our (physically) off week? I can handle that. That was the loss we had to have, but we won.

imo the criticism of our halves is mostly unwarranted. They are getting the ball where it is needed well enough... We got around their up and in defence a few times to make big yardage (before Joey's try a standout). And we scored 26 points.
The ceiling I speak of is clearly being a step below the only two teams that matter this year
The storm and roosters

This sort of football will take us a looooooong way, but we do need some creativity in our ball playing to go all the way imo
I disagree admirably, with our back five, we need our halves to be serviceable, and not a weak link, with Jack and Sams improved defence, I think that's all we need, we have a great forward pack of rep players. Our window is open, it's up to the guys and some luck to make it to the big dance... imo.

I've been wrong many times and i'll be wrong many more... i hope this is one of them!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Neeeegz wrote: April 21, 2019, 8:55 pm
PigRickman wrote:

SING IT
Yee haa yee haa the Broncos are bad wooo, they should feel bad yeh see hooo, dunna nunna gerr woooo? Like that ?

Love it.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:

Then..

Hats off to the local Raiders fans and those that have travelled the past two weeks.

my old man asked if the bandwagon seats are full, he's disgusted with the knights

Sent from my SM-G973F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

dubby wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: April 21, 2019, 8:51 pm What’s the go with Croker’s goal kicking? He cost us top spot today which is neither here nor there but he needs to start slotting a few or he will cost us games. Is it off the back of his knee injury or has he just got the yips or what?

Still 81% career percentage ? I'll back him every day, I'd say around 70% this season at a guess ? Not bad even though a little off at the moment

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: April 21, 2019, 9:03 pm
-PJ- wrote:

Then..

my old man asked if the bandwagon seats are full, he's disgusted with the knights

Sent from my SM-G973F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Plenty of seats available boner, my sister is filthy with the Knights as well..won't be long and she'll be on the Raider bus..
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

PigRickman wrote:
Neeeegz wrote: April 21, 2019, 8:55 pm
PigRickman wrote:

SING IT

Love it.
Kinda thinking a prodigy type song.. high energy like the raiders at the moment

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Mission accomplished = 2 competition points. The Raiders are now on 10 competition points after 6 rounds. It took us until Rd 12 to get to 10 competition points last year. That is a clear improvement. Having said that, out defensive organisation in this game was woeful. So many times our players were mostly on one side of the park. This left the wide spread to the opposite flank an easy way to put points on us. 22 points scored against us is not a good result.

We don't deserve to be No.1 based on that defensive disorganisation. Although I have to say I noted that the Roosters were similarly disorganised against the Storm. They had up to 10 players within 25 meters of the sideline many times against the Storm and the Storm chose not to kick to the open spaces which I think would have resulted in 6 Storm players against 3 Chooks a number of times during that match.

The good news for the Raiders is that we have so much improvement in us. The 17 that played today had JB, CNK, Ryan Sutton, Hudson Young and JJ Collins as new comers over the 2018 side. Throw in positional changes and it is clear that this side is very much in transition. We still have too many bone head decisions being made, but so far it is not costing us competition points. Sea Eagles at Lottoland next Sunday. If we can hold our defensive structure together more often I think we are going to give this match a red hot shake.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Neeeegz wrote:
PigRickman wrote:

SING IT

I detest country pop but this is a tune I can dance to
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Well I could have done without the heart attack but in retrospect I'm still pleased. We absolutely lose that game last year.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Neeeegz wrote: April 21, 2019, 9:04 pm
dubby wrote:

Still 81% career percentage ? I'll back him every day, I'd say around 70% this season at a guess ? Not bad even though a little off at the moment

He hasn’t been good mate. If Sezer was in the team you be throwing him the tee.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

I'd really like to see Williams and Wighton play first and second receiver, rather than left and right.

It plays to Williams' strengths as he can call more of the play and Wighton can attack the line wider out on both sides. It's bad enough for defences holding back thinking he might pass to Croker, but BJ running off him is frightening. It also gives Wighton a bit more space - his errors seem to come when he's hemmed in.

Also, it would allow Bateman to run back across the play rather than having to link to his centre - his lateral passing is the weakest part of his game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: April 21, 2019, 8:55 pm

Then..

There were over 16,000 last week... and we broke it first on The GH... over 17,000 today!
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I reckon if it's not Easter weekend we get 20k

Hard to do on a weekend half the city buggers off down the coast.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

It was great to get a win against the Broncos in front of a big home crowd. Although we only got away with it by 4 points in the end, I think we had them under control pretty much the entire match, even when we were down by two points for that very brief period. Great effort, particularly against a desperate Broncos side who I thought had their best game so far this season. Those are the positives I take from the match.

We definitely need to fix up those massive overlaps before Manly next week. I think our defensive structure was exposed tonight and hopefully it was just a communication thing that can be fixed. Also, Williams needs to stay away from the long kicking. I know is Wighton can be very hot and cold but he needs to do the majority of the long kicking imo... Williams just isn't finding space or getting enough ground.

All in all, there's still a decent gap between us and Storm/Roosters despite how close the ladder is currently. Plenty of time still in the season for improvement though.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Billy Walker wrote:
Neeeegz wrote: April 21, 2019, 9:04 pm
dubby wrote:

He hasn’t been good mate. If Sezer was in the team you be throwing him the tee.
Personally no, I'd have Sam kicking for conversion over sezer

Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Hmm, that was the first game we didn't win possession on. We 100% lose that by 20 last year.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

I’m sure he’s got a coach/expert working with him, but he’s a bit off plane/out of shape at the moment, compared to his usual standards. For the golfers out there, he’s pulling them instead of hitting draws - big difference

He’s not quite timing them either, maybe he’s trying too hard? He likely needs to just take some pressure off himself and he will come good.

I have always thought Sezer is a better kicker (only slightly), but JC is very good. I’m sure he will work it out.