No votes

Total votes: 22

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2019 Rd 6 V Broncos: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Coastalraider »

Timbo wrote: April 18, 2019, 8:46 am
zim wrote: April 17, 2019, 11:40 pm This is men vs boys. A big reason the broncos are floundering is their middle has an average age of 12.

20 - Payne Hass
23 - Joe Ofahengaue
19 - David Fifita
19 - Thomas Flegler
21 - Patrick Carrigan
21 - Jaydn Su'A

Staggs is 20 and Shibasaki is 21.

We should be bullying them out of this like we have the last 2 weeks.
Past broncos sides have not only had talent they've had far better mobility than us. That's not how it is anymore.
Yep, bang on.

On The Matty Johns show the other night, Tallis was hammering on about how the Bronco's aren't playing for the jersey and that on paper they're a top four side and should be up there with the Roosters and Storm. Parker was agreeing with him. I've heard Lockyer express similar sentiments on Nine.

The Bronco's commentators/cheerleaders have had it so good for so long that they just can't see what's in front of them any longer - the Broncos roster just isn't that great.

Look at their spine. As you pointed out, their middle forwards are all kids. Their hooker is an ok club player who'd never have gotten a rep jersey if he didn't play for the Ponies. They have, by far, the worst organising halves in the game - and one of them isn't even a half, he's a fullback who's been forced to play in the line and is carrying too much weight for his frame. Their fullback is a pensioner who refuses to put his body on the line, and their outside backs are all over-paid prima donnas or kids who haven't kicked on with their rookie development.

About the only place where they're ok is their backrow. But even then it's thin.
Ive been thinking for a while about this - everyone goes on about how Brisbane and the Roosters are spending way over the cap, and all the advantages Brisbane have in a one team town etc - but I cant see any value in their squad at all. Also I can deny the advantages, they have just spent so badly - Milford is being played so far away from his strengths you could get eh same output from Sezer most days at half the price. Spending a mill on Bird was madness. Boyd is well past it. outside of that - where does all this money go???

Id rate our squad over theirs this year, and we are forever complaining about how much we have to pay 'overs' for players to come!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Sid wrote:Whilst this year the bronco's have been underachieving for where they should be at broncos standard, as a regular NRL team I don't think they' stink as badly as the criticism they've been copping.

So far this season they've lost to the 2 top teams who appear to be well ahead of every other team, beaten the Cowboys and taken Dragons and Tigers to the last minute of their games.
I commented a few weeks ago that this predicament the Broncos are in should have really happened last year. They got some incredibly favourable calls and realistically should have been battling for a spot in the 8 with us and the Tigers but instead they were talked up too much and their young guys have obviously read the press over the offseason.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders on the road to better wellbeing

Twelve Canberra Raiders players are participating in a brand new course, as they look to gain qualifications in Elite Athlete Wellbeing Management.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... wellbeing/

Brisbane Broncos prop Joe Ofahengaue can make a compelling case for Queensland Origin selection against the form Canberra Raiders pack on Sunday: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/18/ofa ... ons-dream/

Broncos set for tough haul in Canberra: https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2019/04 ... -canberra/
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Northern Raider wrote: April 18, 2019, 8:47 am
zim wrote: April 17, 2019, 11:40 pm This is men vs boys. A big reason the broncos are floundering is their middle has an average age of 12.

20 - Payne Hass
23 - Joe Ofahengaue
19 - David Fifita
19 - Thomas Flegler
21 - Patrick Carrigan
21 - Jaydn Su'A

Past broncos sides have not only had talent they've had far better mobility than us. That's not how it is anymore.
Thats a fair observation. Not sure its been their issue however. last week vs Tigers their focus was rolling up the middle 3rd. It worked OK in that aspect. They made good metres and Tiger's middle forwards rattled up some massive tackle numbers in that opening half. It was the inability of their playmakers to take advantage was their problem.

Bronco may be young in the middle but I wouldn't underestimate them.
I agree that lack of experience in the forwards is certainly not their only issue. I don't think I'm underestimating them. They have talented forwards that will perform fine in spurts. That lack of experience is telling over 80mins. If we **** the bed early in defence and they get a roll on they'll look like a million bucks. If we just grind it out and make them earn it like past weeks they'll provide plenty of opportunities. If we get an early lead they're not coming back.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I am absolutely confident that if we show up with our minds on the job and play like we have all season that we win this game, and probably kick on with it in the second half, but in saying that, for some reason in the back of my mind there's a nagging doubt that that's going to happen.

I really, really hope I'm wrong, but I just haven't felt like that this season yet.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Coach's Comment: Stuart previews Broncos clash

Raiders Coach Ricky Stuart speaks about the depth at his disposal at the Club in 2019, the debut of JJ Collins as well as the loss of Joe Tapine to injury.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... cos-clash/

NRL Match Preview: Raiders v Broncos: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... v-broncos/
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Rickman wrote: April 17, 2019, 9:27 am Apart from a few dropsies in his first couple of outings, Dynamis Lui has always been a consistent performer for the Raiders. It's one of the great Greenhouse myths that he's not very good and even that he's only playing well now but used to be rubbish. It's just now we're winning games and the whole team is playing well that people are recognising that he actually does his job quite well.

What you've seen from him for the first five weeks of the comp is how he's ALWAYS played for us, bar those couple of shaky games to start about three seasons ago.
Yeah, I totally agree. He does his job and does it well. I was far more confident in him showing up to perform than the likes of Boyd, or even Paulo over most of the past two seasons.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 18, 2019, 12:21 pm
The Rickman wrote: April 17, 2019, 9:27 am Apart from a few dropsies in his first couple of outings, Dynamis Lui has always been a consistent performer for the Raiders. It's one of the great Greenhouse myths that he's not very good and even that he's only playing well now but used to be rubbish. It's just now we're winning games and the whole team is playing well that people are recognising that he actually does his job quite well.

What you've seen from him for the first five weeks of the comp is how he's ALWAYS played for us, bar those couple of shaky games to start about three seasons ago.
Yeah, I totally agree. He does his job and does it well. I was far more confident in him showing up to perform than the likes of Boyd, or even Paulo over most of the past two seasons.
He and Soliola were easily our best frontrowers last season, it's ridiculous that people wanted him dropped before Round 1 even kicked off this season!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

KingDynamite wrote: April 17, 2019, 10:28 pm I fear this is the game where we get spanked by an enthusiastic Broncos side and it all come crashing back to earth...

Then we will have excuses about the high energy defence has drained the team but we will come good but we never do
Geez I hope the boys don't read this, all this negativity..

This is the new Raiders mate..so chill.

Plus, Broncs are tripe !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Training Gallery: Raiders prepare for Broncos: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... r-broncos/
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

J Bateman, Papalii and Wighton wearing pink bibs, does that mean they are carrying knocks?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Coastalraider wrote: April 18, 2019, 10:35 am
Timbo wrote: April 18, 2019, 8:46 am

20 - Payne Hass
23 - Joe Ofahengaue
19 - David Fifita
19 - Thomas Flegler
21 - Patrick Carrigan
21 - Jaydn Su'A

Yep, bang on.

On The Matty Johns show the other night, Tallis was hammering on about how the Bronco's aren't playing for the jersey and that on paper they're a top four side and should be up there with the Roosters and Storm. Parker was agreeing with him. I've heard Lockyer express similar sentiments on Nine.

The Bronco's commentators/cheerleaders have had it so good for so long that they just can't see what's in front of them any longer - the Broncos roster just isn't that great.

Look at their spine. As you pointed out, their middle forwards are all kids. Their hooker is an ok club player who'd never have gotten a rep jersey if he didn't play for the Ponies. They have, by far, the worst organising halves in the game - and one of them isn't even a half, he's a fullback who's been forced to play in the line and is carrying too much weight for his frame. Their fullback is a pensioner who refuses to put his body on the line, and their outside backs are all over-paid prima donnas or kids who haven't kicked on with their rookie development.

About the only place where they're ok is their backrow. But even then it's thin.
Ive been thinking for a while about this - everyone goes on about how Brisbane and the Roosters are spending way over the cap, and all the advantages Brisbane have in a one team town etc - but I cant see any value in their squad at all. Also I can deny the advantages, they have just spent so badly - Milford is being played so far away from his strengths you could get eh same output from Sezer most days at half the price. Spending a mill on Bird was madness. Boyd is well past it. outside of that - where does all this money go???

Id rate our squad over theirs this year, and we are forever complaining about how much we have to pay 'overs' for players to come!
Seems to me that, considering the young age of their team, they're doing ok. Losing by 1 point to a middle of the road team with plenty of experience aint bad really. Tallis and Parker have the Broncos bias where they think their whole team is full of stars and cant understand why they aren't winning more games. Bit like us.
Maybe they're talented, but the lack of experience is the problem. Maybe in a year or two they'll be contenders.
We should knock em over if we keep up our form of the past couple of weeks.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

EDIT I’ve been bagging them about how bad the broncos have been going mate, nothing about us being premiership material. :lol:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders ready to tame bucking Brisbane Broncos

Coach Ricky Stuart says Canberra expect to face embattled flyer James Roberts when they take on Brisbane at GIO Stadium on Sunday.

"Over all the years I've been involved in this game, the one team that when they're in a rut they bounce back and bounce back really strongly are the Broncos. There has been years and years (of proof) that when they've copped a bit of criticism they've bounced back real well and we don't want to be that bunny."

Read more: http://www.espn.com/nrl/story/_/id/2654 ... ng-broncos

Stuart expects to see desperate Broncos at their best: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/18/stu ... heir-best/

VIDEO: An in-form Canberra Raiders outfit welcomes the Brisbane Broncos to GIO Stadium on Sunday afternoon. Sam Squiers and Matthew Elliott take you through all you need to know: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/18/rai ... --round-6/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart says Canberra Raiders pack has lost kilos not power

Ricky Stuart says the Raiders forward pack might have lost some kilograms, but they've got plenty of grunt - led ably by Josh Papalii.

"We've lost kilos, we haven't lost power. A lot of other people think kilos is probably power. I don't believe it that way. [Papalii's] really growing and maturing into being the boss of the forwards. It's been good for the players around him because all the boys love playing with Papa," Ricky Stuart said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Reading the Donkeys forum is a good laugh.

They have one of the best teams and should be up near the top. Hahahaha. Hate broncos fans.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

EDIT
Last edited by greeneyed on April 18, 2019, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic. Please focus on the football.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

1992 wrote:Reading the Donkeys forum is a good laugh.

They have one of the best teams and should be up near the top. Hahahaha. Hate broncos fans.
The forum is bad and they should feel bad
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Interesting the game plan to beat the Broncos is the same game plan the Sharks rammed down our throats for the past few yrs.

1. Work the middle. Tire out those forwards
2. Hang with them for 20-25mins until the bench comes on.
3. Frustrate their halves.

Same goes this wk. Glenn and Gillett are good defenders on the edges. So unless you can isolate Niko or Milf your not getting through there.

They are leaking meters and pts through the middle though. This is where youth and lack of experience is hurting them.

Their bench is poor. Young and talented, sure. But not NRL ready.

And most teams have done it. But frustrate Milf and Niko. Get in their faces and put them on the ground. No space. They will crack.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Sid wrote:J Bateman, Papalii and Wighton wearing pink bibs, does that mean they are carrying knocks?
Not sure. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

reptar wrote:

🤣🤣🤣 yes they should

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Rick wrote:
Sid wrote:J Bateman, Papalii and Wighton wearing pink bibs, does that mean they are carrying knocks?

Well yes, but actually no
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2019 Rd 6 V Broncos: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by LastRaider »

T_R wrote:
1992 wrote:Anyone else liking Havilii off the bench? Stocky guy who makes good post contact metres and just does his job. He and Lui are going about their job with no fuss. Love it.
I'm liking Havilii off the bench very much indeed.
If we are going to carry a utility like Havilii, I would like to see him go to 9 and push Hodgson to first receiver in the last 20 mins to give us another creative option late in the piece especially when we are struggling a bit in attack like the last couple of weeks and Wighton being a bit hot and cold.

Be a good option to have at our disposal come finals time.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Last edited by LastRaider on April 19, 2019, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Rick wrote:

Yes, it does
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Neeeegz wrote:
reptar wrote:

ImageImageImage yes they should

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I hope they feel even worse on Sunday evening. :)
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

J. Bateman and Whitehead are going to be imperitive to victory this week. They need to keep doing the great job they have in holding our edges firm defensively while putting pressure on the opposing halves.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

LastRaider wrote: April 19, 2019, 9:58 am
T_R wrote:
1992 wrote:Anyone else liking Havilii off the bench? Stocky guy who makes good post contact metres and just does his job. He and Lui are going about their job with no fuss. Love it.
I'm liking Havilii off the bench very much indeed.
If we are going to carry a utility like Havilii, I would like to see him go to 9 and push Hodgson to first receiver in the last 20 mins to give us another creative option late in the piece especially when we are struggling a bit in attack like the last couple of weeks and Wighton being a bit hot and cold.

Be a good option to have at our disposal come finals time.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
We have one of the best no9's in the game. Don't want to fall into the trap of playing him out of position to try and cover for issues in other areas.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Wiki Special wrote: April 19, 2019, 10:56 am J. Bateman and Whitehead are going to be imperitive to victory this week. They need to keep doing the great job they have in holding our edges firm defensively while putting pressure on the opposing halves.
Reckon Bateman will do his job regardless. He's looking like a very bankable commodity.

Yes, would like to see Whitehead continue what he's done in recent weeks. That being a defensive beast. We know he's capable of more in attack bit he's proving extremely valuable in shutting down opposition plays before they get rolling. Hopefully he maintains the energy in this area. Wouldn't want his effect blunted because we're trying to get a few more hit ups from him.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Whitehead goes alright eh ?

Someone should tell him one of the donkeys stole his scooter.

That outta fire him up....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ryan Sutton playing key role in Canberra Raiders' resurgence

Ryan Sutton came to the Canberra Raiders to prove to those back home in England and league fans in Australia that he could match it with the best in the NRL. He's now doing just that.

"As a starting pack we've got to start well if we don’t do that as a whole pack other teams will start rolling us," Sutton said. "We've got to take it upon ourselves as the middle forward pack to set that platform and the bench will come on and take it to that next step.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/19/sut ... esurgence/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders want to stop Brisbane Broncos sowing their Oates

They used to be the Raiders' leaky right edge, but a renewed defensive resolve has them setting their sights on stopping the Brisbane Broncos sow their Oates.

"Corey Oates and Jack Bird, obviously those two are great players - they've played Origin," Joey Leilua said. "For me and Rapa it's making sure we keep them contained. We've just got to do our job.

Bird wants Broncos and Origin resurrection: http://www.espn.com/nrl/story/_/id/2655 ... surrection
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

greeneyed wrote: April 19, 2019, 5:12 pm Canberra Raiders want to stop Brisbane Broncos sowing their Oates

They used to be the Raiders' leaky right edge, but a renewed defensive resolve has them setting their sights on stopping the Brisbane Broncos sow their Oates.

"Corey Oates and Jack Bird, obviously those two are great players - they've played Origin," Joey Leilua said. "For me and Rapa it's making sure we keep them contained. We've just got to do our job.

Bird wants Broncos and Origin resurrection: http://www.espn.com/nrl/story/_/id/2655 ... surrection
Why do the Raiders care EDIT?
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

Win by 6+ on Sunday puts us at the top of the ladder after round 6.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

1st place is up for grabs
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I think it's 8+ for first spot.

Having said that, it's the 2 competition points we need to focus on. Not the ladder position. If it happens it happens