Broncos 13+
No votes

Total votes: 22

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Re: 2019 Rd 6 V Broncos: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by reptar »

It turns out Team List Tuesday was Tuesday this week.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

reptar wrote: April 16, 2019, 5:25 pm It turns out Team List Tuesday was Tuesday this week.
It's about time! The NRL is useless!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker expects Brisbane Broncos will bounce back

Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker expects the Broncos will bounce back when they visit Canberra Stadium on Sunday.

"They've been copping a lot, the Broncos," Croker said. "But they're a big club, a powerful club. They're always a very strong team and I know they're no different this year. They've got a great forward pack and some quality halves and outside backs. They've lost a few on the bell and that just makes them more dangerous and more desperate."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14274

Josh Hodgson proud of Canberra Raiders depth as JJ Collins is set to make his debut in green

The fact every member of the club's 21-man squad for Round 6 has played NRL football speaks volumes about Canberra's depth in the eyes of Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson.

"We've got some great young kids. There is probably a handful of them there, five or six, that could easily be playing regular first grade that aren't getting in the side," Hodgson said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

The Rickman wrote:
reptar wrote: April 16, 2019, 5:25 pm It turns out Team List Tuesday was Tuesday this week.
It's about time! The NRL is useless!!
I'm surprised as you are!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Happy for Collins to get his chance.
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

Part of me wanted to see how Red horse vs TPJ would have gone down.
Long time creeper....... First time poster
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

I would like to know why Guler is out of favour after he impressed with his efforts last year
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

magoo wrote: April 16, 2019, 6:42 pm I would like to know why Guler is out of favour after he impressed with his efforts last year
Obviously can't say for sure but imo he hasn't been impressive this year in lower grade right back to trial. Such a big unit but needs some mongrel. Should model his game on Vaughans. Power, speed, grunt and a little sass.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

boydy80 wrote: April 16, 2019, 6:22 pm Part of me wanted to see how Red horse vs TPJ would have gone down.

Glad that someone else appreciates the energy of the Red Horse.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Maybe other parties have been more impressive?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Green eyed Mick wrote:Happy for Collins to get his chance.
I'm keen to see how he goes.

He's ousted Guler, Red Horse and Hunt. Must be in decent form

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I am unfamiliar with Collins, but I have liked everyone new so far so I am more than happy to see another promising young forward get a run.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I know im on my own on this island, but to me guys like JJ Collins are the classic "progress stoppers"

Collins might be in good form, he might even be a solid good FGer, he might play 100 games for 4 clubs and bounce around and do his job. He might EVEN do his job better right now today than the young blokes.

But at some point when you pick the 17, you have to be cognisant of the long term view too. I am very against having progress stoppers in our top 17 ahead of kids whose upside is considerably higher. I think when you stop giving young talent the chance to grow and develop thats when you lose them.

Competition for spots is a fine, im happy for Guler, Young, Horsburgh and all those kids to compete and compete hard for playing time and spots. JJ Collins would be my last resort.
And i totally understand why fans, and especially coaches just say "best man for the job at the time", i really do understand that and think it's a fine philosophy.

But that sword has an edge, and if you're going to say that's how it should work, you have to accept young developing players will find suitors who value them more than we do. And you have to be OK with them leaving. And leave the "they should fight and earn their spot!" at the door, this isnt your Dad's NRL. They dont do that, they get out and move to a club who's willing to invest in them. As they should, they dont have a lot of time in this game, injuries and opportunities (or lack of) can end careers before they get a chance to start.

Use it or lose it... that goes for everyone. Are you OK with losing that upside because JJ Collins is marginally better right now at 23, than Guler, Murchie or Horsburgh is at 21. I'm not OK with that. And the edge of that sword is JJ Collins is 23 and i could be missing a late blooming superstar, like Rapana.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I tend to agree.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

PigRickman wrote: April 16, 2019, 7:46 pm I know im on my own on this island, but to me guys like JJ Collins are the classic "progress stoppers"

Collins might be in good form, he might even be a solid good FGer, he might play 100 games for 4 clubs and bounce around and do his job. He might EVEN do his job better right now today than the young blokes.

But at some point when you pick the 17, you have to be cognisant of the long term view too. I am very against having progress stoppers in our top 17 ahead of kids whose upside is considerably higher. I think when you stop giving young talent the chance to grow and develop thats when you lose them.

Competition for spots is a fine, im happy for Guler, Young, Horsburgh and all those kids to compete and compete hard for playing time and spots. JJ Collins would be my last resort.
And i totally understand why fans, and especially coaches just say "best man for the job at the time", i really do understand that and think it's a fine philosophy.

But that sword has an edge, and if you're going to say that's how it should work, you have to accept young developing players will find suitors who value them more than we do. And you have to be OK with them leaving. And leave the "they should fight and earn their spot!" at the door, this isnt your Dad's NRL. They dont do that, they get out and move to a club who's willing to invest in them. As they should, they dont have a lot of time in this game, injuries and opportunities (or lack of) can end careers before they get a chance to start.

Use it or lose it... that goes for everyone. Are you OK with losing that upside because JJ Collins is marginally better right now at 23, than Guler, Murchie or Horsburgh is at 21. I'm not OK with that. And the edge of that sword is JJ Collins is 23 and i could be missing a late blooming superstar, like Rapana.
That’s all well and good, and you may even have a point... but how can you second guess RICK on this one? Everything the man touches is turning to gold at the moment
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I can't and i won't.
King Rick reigns and long may he reign...

I was of course speaking more broadly about building rosters. I dont think i mentioned anyone or any situation specifically!
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

The great man devised and executed his first game plan in 5 years the other night!!! He’s on a heater.

So it’s JJ Collins all the way my porcine pal
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He should rock up game day in this outfit
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'I wanted to be like him': Greg Inglis' impact on Canberra Raiders centre Joey Leilua

Joey Leilua will always remember that Greg Inglis fend. The Canberra Raiders centre isn't often one for watching too much football unless it is in game previews and reviews with coach Ricky Stuart.

"You always want to emulate him, I wanted to be like him. When he was on the field he was tough and too hard to handle. I wanted to be like him. There is only going to be one Greg Inglis and that's him."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

I think its fairly obvious that we aren't a development club anymore. I get what rickpigman is saying but for every tpj that walks out the door it also means that we aren't paying repndilkars rep dollars for guys like shaun fensom and joe picker.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

And we've just bought another good young second rower haven't we? Still no depth in the outside backs though.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The days of us paying stupid money to the likes of Bronx Goodwin, Nev Costigan and Blake Austin are long gone.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

gergreg wrote:And we've just bought another good young second rower haven't we? Still no depth in the outside backs though.

Shape of the game, ATM

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gergreg wrote:And we've just bought another good young second rower haven't we? Still no depth in the outside backs though.

Don't need big money depth in the backs

The guys we have will be fine if needed

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Riaan wrote: April 16, 2019, 9:25 pm I think its fairly obvious that we aren't a development club anymore. I get what rickpigman is saying but for every tpj that walks out the door it also means that we aren't paying rep dollars for guys like shaun fensom and joe picker.
Yep, that's a the very fair counter. My philosophy is not without it's own issues. And in support of what you're saying, we've been repeatedly burnt by that before, which is why Stuart took us away from being a development club.,

I think there is fine line to balance here, i dont think we should be overpaying the kids but i think we should be giving them a chance and avenue to feel like they have a future here and can develop... and im not sure if i was Guler i'd feel that great about things right now.

I get best man for the job, that's at the core of any coach, sport is at it's core a true meritocracy, but we also need to be identifying talent, elite talent, who just need to be invested in for the greater long term gain.

Im stumping pretty hard for Guler, maybe too hard. But i believe in that guy. I think he's an elite talent. I dont think there are many dudes at his size who move the way he does. Its hard to find. JJ Collins is easy to find.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

magoo wrote: April 16, 2019, 6:42 pm I would like to know why Guler is out of favour after he impressed with his efforts last year
From what I've seen, he lacks the impact of every other middle on our books.

Lui has upped his game and been delivering good foot speed and energy.

Horsburg has been punishing in D. Still plenty to work on but he's run harder and hit harder than Guler ever did.

Havilli breaks tackles for fun and is a genuine backup hooker option. Great tackling technique and physicality also. Versatile footballer as per his bench role.

Sutton is the closest comparison and probably had the inside running with experience and has gone better most games. If Sutton keeps dropsies I wouldn't mind Guler leapfrogging him at all as the "big steady middle" role but has Guler set the world on fire in Mounties? Not yet.

Hunt went better than Guler in the trials and hasn't got a look either.

It's HARD to keep a spot in this pack. I like that.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

PigRickman wrote: April 16, 2019, 7:46 pm I know im on my own on this island, but to me guys like JJ Collins are the classic "progress stoppers"

I've heard your theory but it also depends if JJ plays 3 games or 30.

Due to the other edge of that sword, if Maripodi says JJ is producing something worth looking at (since he's leapfrogged Hunt- a known big unit quantity) then I'm happy to see JJ. 23 is just getting ripe for most middles.

If Hors, Murchie or whoever leaves because they were left 4 games too long in reggies then let them go. Culture needs to be bigger than that. I almost welcome it. If they can spend another few games in reggies and realise they really DO have to be not only u20s good but better than everyone around them and lift to that... then great.

Our club has been through the pain of mollycoddling talent - see Duges, Carney, Fergo examples plz- culture needs to be bigger than a kids ego. If they leave, fine. How are Milf and TPJ going? I'd love to have them but there is more out there. Don't let the tail wag the dog.

Back on track- if JJ plays 3 games and helps Hors or whoever realise they need to be better then great, no harm done. Id JJ turns out to be good, win-win. If someone leaves because they were made to fight for their spot then boo hoo. Piss off. That Barnett loss is really smarting right now right?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I am happy Sticky is picking players he considers are in the best form in 2019. No more rolling the dice on the 'next big thing'. At long last performance in the current season counts for selection. Don't perform = non selection.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I feel that with the way the interchange forwards have been rotated so far, it's probably likely we'll see guys like Guler get a run at some stage. Horsburgh will definitely get a few more games soon.

I'm interested to see how Collins goes. I'm sure if he isn't playing up to standard then he'll find himself back at Mounties pretty quickly.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

With Tapine out for a couple months or so, it's a good chance for the middle forwards to stake a claim for a starting spot. Lui and Sutton are there for the time being and doing a fine job... Lui is more of a stop gap solution if you're looking at the longer term view though. It would be good to see one of the younger guys step up over the coming rounds.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Turns out JJ Collins used to be JJ Felise. He's changed his name. I remember him playing for the tigers against us and let's just say he didn't exactly set the world on fire.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Matt Lodge out.... the chances of broncos winning this just increased dramatically :doubt:
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

All I’ll say on the Collins selection is that selections like this would probably seem off tilt for other players vying for that spot. Royce Hunt was 18th man last week, missed A weekend of football and then misses out on the 21 this week presumably because Collins performed well in the game he missed out on. Stuart’s selections have worked so far so you probably have to back him you just hope all the players are on the same page because while it’s a team sport as an athlete you’re obviously hyper aware of yourself and how/where you’re going week to week.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Hazza wrote:Turns out JJ Collins used to be JJ Felise. He's changed his name. I remember him playing for the tigers against us and let's just say he didn't exactly set the world on fire.
I cant remember him tbh

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Raiders_Pat wrote: April 16, 2019, 10:19 pm With Tapine out for a couple months or so, it's a good chance for the middle forwards to stake a claim for a starting spot. Lui and Sutton are there for the time being and doing a fine job... Lui is more of a stop gap solution if you're looking at the longer term view though. It would be good to see one of the younger guys step up over the coming rounds.
Im as surprised as anyone thata im saying this, but collectively over the first 5 rounds, dunamis lui has performed his role better than anyone else in the squad. Hes running hard and fast and often in his short stints clearly to allow our other players to stay on the park longer with more energy remaining. His our sacrificial anode to start games off
Dont delete this GE