Eels 13+
6%

Total votes: 17

Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Game Day

Post by Thomas Raider »

Watched the replay at 130 this morning after work and wow that defence is brutal...where has this come from ??? The attack needs some tweaking,me thinks Hodgo needs to trust Sammy more inside the 20 !! Also did anybody notice about halfway through the 2nd half we had the ball in Parra`s half and Sammy has his back to the play and barking orders to Leipana :D :D And didn`t we target Fergo,i loved the niggle in the tackles and attention to his nose.....Gallen like :lol:
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

Thomas Raider wrote: April 15, 2019, 12:32 pm Watched the replay at 130 this morning after work and wow that defence is brutal...where has this come from ??? The attack needs some tweaking,me thinks Hodgo needs to trust Sammy more inside the 20 !! Also did anybody notice about halfway through the 2nd half we had the ball in Parra`s half and Sammy has his back to the play and barking orders to Leipana :D :D And didn`t we target Fergo,i loved the niggle in the tackles and attention to his nose.....Gallen like :lol:
No No the official Greenhouse line is "We weren't impressed".It's a new age thing as we are trying to win the comp but it would be a bonus if we could pick up a Nobel Peace Prize along the way.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Skimming through this thread, I'd say that where positive or negative opinions are expressed, posts are running at about 80% positive or mostly positive.

I think some people need to read what is being posted, rather than working themselves up over what they imagine is there.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There are no "official" Greenhouse lines. Just views of different posters.

The view of this poster is I don't want to see any of the Raiders players behave like Paul Gallen in illegally attacking the injuries of opposition players. Tackle them hard and fair and square.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: April 15, 2019, 1:51 pm Skimming through this thread, I'd say that where positive or negative opinions are expressed, posts are running at about 80% positive or mostly positive.

I think some people need to read what is being posted, rather than working themselves up over what they imagine is there.
I think during the course of the game, there was a lot of frustration about our lack of points given the sheer number of tackles we had on their line, but i think almost everyone is feeling pretty good about the team and their posting reflects it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Power rankings: Red-hot Roosters, Raiders rolling

4. Canberra Raiders (5)
Defence, defence defence! The Raiders are building on their premiership assault through defence. They are locking teams out which takes pressure off their halves to come up with points. I'm liking what the Raiders are doing. They've been the biggest surprise packet so far.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/15/red ... -pressure/

Choose who should be in NRL Team of the Week: Round 5 - Vote now https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/14/cho ... k-round-5/

Choose who should win NRL Tackle of the Week: Round 5 https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/15/cho ... k-round-5/

Raiders.com.au competition: Man of the Match: Raiders v Eels: https://www.raiders.com.au/competitions ... vote-motm/

Round 5 in the sheds: John Bateman and family: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... nd-family/

Round 5 in the sheds: Jack Wighton: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... k-wighton/

NSW Cup in the sheds: Andre Niko: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... ndre-niko/

Round 5 moment of the week: Defensive efforts: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... e-efforts/
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

greeneyed wrote:There are no "official" Greenhouse lines. Just views of different posters.

The view of this poster is I don't want to see any of the Raiders players behave like Paul Gallen in illegally attacking the injuries of opposition players. Tackle them hard and fair and square.
Sia is a perfect example of how we want the players to play - hits the Eels' No. 6 (or was it 7?) hard, then gets up quickly to get into marker. No sillyness, so penalties.
Wighton on the other hand, makes an awesome tackle on Gutherson, but completely different from undoes any positives from it by giving Gutho a facial with his elbo and giving away a penalty.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Aero wrote:
greeneyed wrote:There are no "official" Greenhouse lines. Just views of different posters.

Sia is a perfect example of how we want the players to play - hits the Eels' No. 6 (or was it 7?) hard, then gets up quickly to get into marker. No sillyness, so penalties.
Wighton on the other hand, makes an awesome tackle on Gutherson, but completely different from undoes any positives from it by giving Gutho a facial with his elbo and giving away a penalty.

Gee, Sia was good last night...really brought energy into the game.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Everybody has witnessed how good our defence has been in the opening month+.

Oppositions are having to come up with other ways of scoring points since we took away the " just run at Austin" option..

The line speed from our boys is insane and thats attitude and fitness.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

-PJ- wrote: April 15, 2019, 2:32 pm Everybody has witnessed how good our defence has been in the opening month+.

Oppositions are having to come up with other ways of scoring points since we took away the " just run at Austin" option..

The line speed from our boys is insane and thats attitude and fitness.
I think the Wigan boys have helped with attitude.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Any update on Tapine ankle?
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Aero wrote: April 15, 2019, 2:26 pm

Was driving home today thinking the exact same thing, everything Jack should learn from. Your not a tough boy because you rub an elbow into someones face.

Josh Maguire is a perfect example of how not to play the game, make the big hit a get up as your one kick out on the full away from costing your team.
WorkChoice
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

One thing I've been wondering after seeing Wighton's try.

Why don't we bomb it to that side more often? We have Cotric, Croker and Wighton - all who are great in the air. Heck, even add Whitehead in there for his timing and ability to catch a ball on the run.

With so many targets on that side, defense wouldn't know who to guard

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think the issue is that Sezer isn’t accurate enough with his bomb placements. I’ve been frustrated that in the last couple of seasons his bombs seem to me to generally land about 5m out. When our attackers do come down they get drilled, or tap down and it’s 50/50 who it goes to.

That bomb was perfectly placed so it could be caught and fall for the try.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

T_R wrote:
Aero wrote:

Yeah I agree. So much the rest of the pups could learn from

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote: April 15, 2019, 7:26 am While watching the game last night I said to myself" Jack hasn't kicked out on the full yet"

Then...

Jack kicks out on the full..Love ya JACKYBOI !!!

Also, the penalty against Jack for the facial after smashing that dude was just plain soft...
That was dead set one of the most **** up calls I have seen from a referee. That stuff happens a hundred times a game. There was absolutely nothing in it.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

T_R wrote: April 15, 2019, 2:29 pm
Aero wrote:

Yeah, he absolutely did. I thought he was outstanding.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

I like Wightons aggression in defense tbh. It was a soft as hell penalty he copped as well.
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

Pete Cash wrote: April 15, 2019, 7:14 pm I like Wightons aggression in defense tbh. It was a soft as hell penalty he copped as well.
You'll find yourself in the naughty corner quick smart with comments like that Pete,the ladies auxiliary have decided that they don't approve, and I have it on good authority that they are looking at crocheting some blankets to donate the victim and his family to assist them in getting through this difficult time.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Keghead wrote: April 15, 2019, 7:28 pm
Pete Cash wrote: April 15, 2019, 7:14 pm I like Wightons aggression in defense tbh. It was a soft as hell penalty he copped as well.
You'll find yourself in the naughty corner quick smart with comments like that Pete,the ladies auxiliary have decided that they don't approve, and I have it on good authority that they are looking at crocheting some blankets to donate the victim and his family to assist them in getting through this difficult time.
:roflmao
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Um, can we **** off the sexist comments? Because THIS lady absolutely 100% approved of the worthless traitor and convicted indecent assaulter Ferguson copping a work over. Every time.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Aero wrote: April 15, 2019, 5:15 pm One thing I've been wondering after seeing Wighton's try.

Why don't we bomb it to that side more often? We have Cotric, Croker and Wighton - all who are great in the air. Heck, even add Whitehead in there for his timing and ability to catch a ball on the run.

Croker one in is definitely the best kick target in rugby league imo. I’ve even heard Gould say something similar.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

True but if he doesnt gothe forearm to the head then he doesnt get penalised.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

julian87 wrote: April 15, 2019, 9:12 pm
Aero wrote: April 15, 2019, 5:15 pm One thing I've been wondering after seeing Wighton's try.

Croker one in is definitely the best kick target in rugby league imo. I’ve even heard Gould say something similar.
I seem to recall it was actually a hugely successful ploy for us in 2016, the Sezer bomb to Croker...until teams started working out they could block and run Croker off the ball every. bloody. time without getting penalised for it.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

I just discovered that you can watch the games on demand. Watching again now :D

Also holy jesus Croker just absolutely made Moses look like a numpty on that long run downfield, but the commentators are still rabbiting about how wonderful it was that Moses "held him up" even though Croker made another like 15 metres after that with ease.

LastRaider
John Ferguson

2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Game Day

Post by LastRaider »

Pete Cash wrote:I like Wightons aggression in defense tbh. It was a soft as hell penalty he copped as well.
It’s still the equivalent of a BJ moment and we need to cut that out if we want to succeed.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Aero wrote: April 15, 2019, 10:43 am Wighton topping the league in a couple of stat's and top 4 in another..

If he can get these under control, it'd go a long way to helping our team throughout the season, especially when facing the top teamsImage

Those stats are disgraceful! Geez Wighton gets a good run - if Austin or Sezer had those numbers there would be pitchforks outside Raiders HQ!
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

raiderskater wrote: April 15, 2019, 9:43 pm I just discovered that you can watch the games on demand. Watching again now :D

Also holy jesus Croker just absolutely made Moses look like a numpty on that long run downfield, but the commentators are still rabbiting about how wonderful it was that Moses "held him up" even though Croker made another like 15 metres after that with ease.
Except that all Moses wanted to do was shepherd off to a side and keep him way from his 3 support runners. Which he did.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

gangrenous wrote: April 15, 2019, 5:51 pm I think the issue is that Sezer isn’t accurate enough with his bomb placements. I’ve been frustrated that in the last couple of seasons his bombs seem to me to generally land about 5m out. When our attackers do come down they get drilled, or tap down and it’s 50/50 who it goes to.

That bomb was perfectly placed so it could be caught and fall for the try.
Williams has been kicking better than Sezer this year.

But all in all, it is the choice of kick which is doing so well. We've buried teams for 10 mins plus in their own end - Melbourne style- on the back of well chosen grubbers and corner kicks. Jack has done his bit of giant spiral bombs too.

Sezer puts up a predictable, 20m high nicely backspinning dink. It troubles nobody.

Like Warney says, where it lands is one thing- but how it gets there is just as important. That extra second of hang time. That swerve that makes the catcher fall or off balance instead of hitting at pace.

Most importantly is our chase has been making the kick. Wighton lives for a kick chase, when we have plenty of possession I even saw Papa/Sutton lead one chase. Toots and Whitehead are the other usual suspects. It's the little things of having just one more guy in that chase line or Wighton threatening to destroy the catcher so chasers can all stack the non-wighton side etc.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 15, 2019, 7:00 pm
-PJ- wrote: April 15, 2019, 7:26 am While watching the game last night I said to myself" Jack hasn't kicked out on the full yet"

Then...

Also, the penalty against Jack for the facial after smashing that dude was just plain soft...
That was dead set one of the most **** up calls I have seen from a referee. That stuff happens a hundred times a game. There was absolutely nothing in it.
Absolutely nothing in it..

I believe it was a get square when Jack tried to pick Fergo up like a bowling ball.

2 fingers up the nostrils...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote: April 16, 2019, 7:27 am
Seiffert82 wrote: April 15, 2019, 7:00 pm

Then...

Absolutely nothing in it..

I believe it was a get square when Jack tried to pick Fergo up like a bowling ball.

2 fingers up the nostrils...
Now that was hilarious. Totally grubby, but absolutely hilarious.
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

raiderskater wrote: April 15, 2019, 9:09 pm
Um, can we **** off the sexist comments? Because THIS lady absolutely 100% approved of the worthless traitor and convicted indecent assaulter Ferguson copping a work over. Every time.
That was in no way a sexist comment if you understand the context it was written in.It was a rebuke to some peoples attitude that the team shouldn't of took advantage of the situation Fergo found himself in.

Rugby League is very much a confidence sport and if you have a chance to put another player (especially one like Fergo who did a lot worse than give a cheeky tug at some tape to this club) in two minds about running the ball and take him out of the game physiologically then more power to you.

I just cant believe that some of our own supporters would look to take the mind set that our players should of not taken that advantage and even suggest that it may be "not a good look for the club".

As far as I think (and it is only my opinion) that attitude comes from the type of person that should be involved in the ladies auxiliary side of the game not trying to lead the way on the judgment of how our players preform.

I hope that clears things up for you in that it was not a stab at the fairer sex but more a stab at how the gap between the two sexes has narrowed, in general society (and within Rugby League) the lines are becoming very blurred.If you want to come over to the side where things are more clear cut (and by reading your post I'm guessing you would) then you are more than welcome you will be greeted with open arms as far as I"m concerned. :)
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

julian87 wrote:

Yup, I remember hearing that and thinking wow, Gus has noticed lol

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Keghead, mate... your comment is 100 PERCENT sexist by every definition of the term

You were blowing up the other day about Woodgers being a "racist", at least own your own mistakes, pal

EDIT: also good to see that not only did you make said sexist comment, you doubled down on it making the SAME comment in your post defending your original sexist comment... amazing scenes!!
Last edited by The Nickman on April 16, 2019, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

raiderskater wrote:
julian87 wrote: April 15, 2019, 9:12 pm

I seem to recall it was actually a hugely successful ploy for us in 2016, the Sezer bomb to Croker...until teams started working out they could block and run Croker off the ball every. bloody. time without getting penalised for it.
With Cotric and Wighton beside him, they'll have to block all three players as all three are more than capable of challenging for the ball in the air