6%

Total votes: 17

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Game Day

Post by zim »

Sid wrote: April 14, 2019, 11:15 pm Stats tonight from some of the players gunning for a Blues jersey

Cotric
121m
7 tackle breaks
1 line break

Wighton
1 try
3 tackle breaks
28 tackles

Ferguson
1 pre-game vom
1 broken nose
3 busted ribs
:lol:
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Rick wrote:
Sid wrote:Stats tonight from some of the players gunning for a Blues jersey

Cotric
121m
7 tackle breaks
1 line break

Wighton
1 try
3 tackle breaks
28 tackles

Ferguson
1 pre-game vom
1 broken nose
3 busted ribs
ImageImageImage

What about John Bateman from John Batemans bay??? He has to be a walk up start Image

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Gives Freddy something to think about
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

zim wrote: April 14, 2019, 11:01 pm This is doing the rounds on social media and in my group chat:

That's from the Bateman head clash.
Sloth looks more like Sam Burgess.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Coastalraider wrote: April 14, 2019, 8:48 pm
dubby wrote: April 14, 2019, 8:21 pm
Rickmando wrote:
1992 wrote: April 14, 2019, 7:59 pm Canberra Raiders....defence kings in 2019 Image
Well, except for that one time we played a decent team and got towelled up...
Haha, true.

Let's enjoy this moment but.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
There are 2 teams who have come out of the blocks clearly ahead of everyone else this year - and they are the only 2 teams in front of us on the ladder.
I don’t think we should be sad about losing 1 half of footy to the storm early in the season, especially considering how we usually start a campaign.
Gotta remember that the Storm had an 8 day turnaround compared to our 5. It was no wonder they stormed out not the blocks and we looked flat.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Begbie wrote: April 14, 2019, 11:22 pm
zim wrote: April 14, 2019, 11:01 pm This is doing the rounds on social media and in my group chat:

That's from the Bateman head clash.
Sloth looks more like Sam Burgess.
Are you saying there might be common genetics there? Crowe has fathered all Burgii and Ferguson?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: April 14, 2019, 9:34 pm
Coastalraider wrote: April 14, 2019, 9:09 pm
T_R wrote: April 14, 2019, 9:05 pm
The Rickman wrote:
You have to laugh at Jack Wighton though, gee he’s rocks and diamonds, isn’t he
I'm honestly not convinced that he's that bright.
I think he has an immense amount of natural talent - he just struggles to use it naturally... he overthinks a lot of things, and totally underthinks a lot of things, he struggles with balance.

As we saw with his shift to fullback, it doesn’t happen overnight for him. After a couple of years he actually got his head around the position and that confidence got rid of all his brain snaps. Shifting him into a game management position with lots of snap decisions to be made is a definite long term project.
I really liked the way Wighton played today. Very direct and with purpose. Tested the defense quite a few times. Unfortunately far too many errors and silly penalties. If he fixes up those he’ll do a very handy job for us. Let’s see what happens in the upcoming games.
Wighton has always been a bit rocks or diamonds, but at this stage he is playing like he's in a rush. Some of his kicks under pressure are skewed, but when he's settled he has put in some 10/10 bombs and pinpoint long kicks in to the in-goal.

Same as his running game. Does all the hard work to make the break or poke is nose through the line, only to spill the ball or offload to the opposition.

I'm entirely convinced that once he settles into the role and is able to slow it down a peg he has all the tools to be an elite running half.

...and he can tackle like a backrower. **** me he is just about the best defensive half I have seen since Campo.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

His (wighton) physical presence in the defensive line is worth sticking with. He is getting pinged a little for his aggression but he hits like a tank for a guy of his size. He wont win them all if a huge centre or backrower can isolate him but he really holds his own.

He also handed out a big dont argue to one of the eels in attack.

There is a lot to like, his biggest problem has always been his errors always seem to be absolute insane ones rather than the odd dropped ball.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Once it clicks he will be something that could take it to the storm or Roosters. We need to do something different and he is it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

3 on the trot..... Officially best defense in the league..... What a time to be alive.

Shame about Tapine, hope he pulls up alright. If he and Havili are both out next week, we might be a little thin against the broncs.
Long time creeper....... First time poster
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

Pete Cash wrote: April 14, 2019, 11:34 pm His (wighton) physical presence in the defensive line is worth sticking with. He is getting pinged a little for his aggression but he hits like a tank for a guy of his size. He wont win them all if a huge centre or backrower can isolate him but he really holds his own.

He also handed out a big dont argue to one of the eels in attack.

There is a lot to like, his biggest problem has always been his errors always seem to be absolute insane ones rather than the odd dropped ball.
That Eel was Moses if I'm not mistaken. Between that and him working Furgo over... He's just about got my 3 points lol
Long time creeper....... First time poster
rovert
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by rovert »

Rickmando wrote:Where all my Rick-heads at???

The Rick-clique continues to grow!
Been on the wagon since before round 1.

Shame mods put a stop to 'Rick' related 'joke' name changes back then, we would of been the biggest bunch of rickheads around otherwise in a few more rounds.

Well done Ricky!!... if you build it they will come.

Rickvert

The last thing I remember is me saying "hold my beer and watch this".
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 14, 2019, 11:30 pm
The Rickman wrote:
I think he has an immense amount of natural talent - he just struggles to use it naturally... he overthinks a lot of things, and totally underthinks a lot of things, he struggles with balance.

As we saw with his shift to fullback, it doesn’t happen overnight for him. After a couple of years he actually got his head around the position and that confidence got rid of all his brain snaps. Shifting him into a game management position with lots of snap decisions to be made is a definite long term project.
I really liked the way Wighton played today. Very direct and with purpose. Tested the defense quite a few times. Unfortunately far too many errors and silly penalties. If he fixes up those he’ll do a very handy job for us. Let’s see what happens in the upcoming games.
Wighton has always been a bit rocks or diamonds, but at this stage he is playing like he's in a rush. Some of his kicks under pressure are skewed, but when he's settled he has put in some 10/10 bombs and pinpoint long kicks in to the in-goal.

Same as his running game. Does all the hard work to make the break or poke is nose through the line, only to spill the ball or offload to the opposition.

I'm entirely convinced that once he settles into the role and is able to slow it down a peg he has all the tools to be an elite running half.

...and he can tackle like a backrower. **** me he is just about the best defensive half I have seen since Campo.
Jack Wighton has one setting and it is MAX POWER. Just how he is. Notice that the bombs and long kicks and big hits are all things he can do at MAX POWER. Then he roosts one out or carries on too long after the tackle because JACK WIGHTON.

I agree with the other posters that it takes him considerable time to adjust to a new role. That is fine and normal- not everyone is an instant hit at everything. I have every confidence he can improve his half play. He'll still be a bull at a gate, but he'll improve as he has always done- slowly, not always without hiccups or month long downturns, but he can become very good as a half (very good, not an all out master). It might take another year.

Thing is, he's a FG talent. In his worst games he still shows he can bust open a well organised, determined defence (and the Eels were), iron out blokes twice his size and make an impact on the game with sheer energy and physicality. If I hadn't seen him shift to FB so well I'd have more doubts but I think he can be the same as a half- very good, elite in some categories/facets and average in others.

He's old enough now we know his faults and what he can adjust to. He'll drop the revs a bit once his nerves settle but he's always going to be more CAPS than LUKE PAGE.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

rovert wrote: April 15, 2019, 12:18 am
Rickmando wrote:Where all my Rick-heads at???

The Rick-clique continues to grow!
Been on the wagon since before round 1.

Shame mods put a stop to 'Rick' related 'joke' name changes back then, we would of been the biggest bunch of rickheads around otherwise in a few more rounds.

Well done Ricky!!... if you build it they will come.

Rickvert
Rickvert - you are a true believer and a genuine Rick-head my friend, and your faith is being repaid.

You’ve been up the front of this hype train since before there was a ball kicked in anger, no doubt. Say three Hail Ricky’s before you go to bed, and we will see you here next week after we trounce the Ponies.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Not great vision of Joe Tapine's injury...

@NRLPhysio on Twitter

Warning graphic:
Another traumatic ankle injury, this time for Joseph Tapine. In somewhat good news Tapine’s foot rolled in; lateral ankle ligaments at risk, but usually looks worse than it actually is and less severe than Nene/Guerra. Concern still for fracture, fingers crossed

https://twitter.com/nrlphysio/status/11 ... 4797485058
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

dubby wrote: April 14, 2019, 8:21 pm
Rickmando wrote:
1992 wrote: April 14, 2019, 7:59 pm Canberra Raiders....defence kings in 2019 Image
Well, except for that one time we played a decent team and got towelled up...
Haha, true.

Let's enjoy this moment but.

Sticky made the right call following the Storm game by putting Sutton at lock. A larger body and better centre field defender than J. Bateman who missed 6 tackles in that match. It was unfortunate that Tapine was injured but the use of Sutton at 13 has been an astute and necessary call by the Coach.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

8 points in the bank, 9 more wins to September footy

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 14, 2019, 11:30 pm
The Rickman wrote:

The impression I'm getting watching Jack this season so far is that he seems a little desperate to prove himself. To prove that he deserves a second chance, that we made the right call by not getting rid of him. And so he's rushing it. As you say, when he's settled, he's much better. And even when he's not, if he does make a mistake, he defends it aggressively, which is always pleasing.

I thought Croker was in good shape again last night. That intercept - and then he was caught by three Eels - and then suddenly he was running again was a thing of beauty, and defensively he was all over it.

The forward pack were all very good, but I thought Sia was outstanding.

Williams also seemed a little rocks-and-diamonds last night, though he settled down in the second half. Hodgo was straight-up rocks and needs to trust his halves more.

Oh, and I'm still trying and failing not to smug-grin at all the shots of Ferguson's nose. How much trouble do we think Jack's in for, uh, testing the integrity of Ferguson's tape?
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

How good would Jack be if he didn’t have brain explosions and make his customary errors every game.
He highs and lows of Jacky Boi, what a fun roller coaster.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Great win. My only concern is this physical style will take its toll over the course of the season, so Stuart needs to make a concerted effort rotating the squad. We have some good forwards playing for Mounties (Horsburgh, Guler, Murchie) who can come in and do a job for a couple of weeks, and some decent backs too (Simonsson, Oldfield, Bateman can play a couple of games in the centres).
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

While watching the game last night I said to myself" Jack hasn't kicked out on the full yet"

Then...

Jack kicks out on the full..Love ya JACKYBOI !!!

Also, the penalty against Jack for the facial after smashing that dude was just plain soft...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

TongueFTW wrote: April 15, 2019, 7:26 am Great win. My only concern is this physical style will take its toll over the course of the season, so Stuart needs to make a concerted effort rotating the squad. We have some good forwards playing for Mounties (Horsburgh, Guler, Murchie) who can come in and do a job for a couple of weeks, and some decent backs too (Simonsson, Oldfield, Bateman can play a couple of games in the centres).
Or..

Our best 17 can go hammer and tong for 30 weeks and win this damn comp !!!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

TongueFTW wrote: April 15, 2019, 7:26 am Great win. My only concern is this physical style will take its toll over the course of the season, so Stuart needs to make a concerted effort rotating the squad. We have some good forwards playing for Mounties (Horsburgh, Guler, Murchie) who can come in and do a job for a couple of weeks, and some decent backs too (Simonsson, Oldfield, Bateman can play a couple of games in the centres).
We have some advantages in that we won't be hit by Origin like some other clubs and although Sutton and Bateman played in a softer comp, they do play a lot more games every year.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

I had a great time at the footy last night. It was amazing to see the defense hold up for the full 80 minutes and keep them to 0. Can't wait to watch the replay tonight.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

-PJ- wrote: April 15, 2019, 7:26 am While watching the game last night I said to myself" Jack hasn't kicked out on the full yet"

Then...

Also, the penalty against Jack for the facial after smashing that dude was just plain soft...
I have a feeling that penalty had just as much to do with the Fergo massage earlier as the elbow in that tackle. Whether he copped a warning after the refs saw the replay on fergo or not, I think it was drawing a line that we needed to clean that stuff up - I commented to someone last night that Ennis has obviously bought some grubbiness to the squad.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Speaking of Origin candidates, shouldn't Leilua also be in the picture if Roberts is in doubt? Our whole backline minus the halfback and the kiwis should be considered as possibilities particularly if we keep up our form and continue to improve
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Coastalraider wrote: April 15, 2019, 8:06 am
-PJ- wrote: April 15, 2019, 7:26 am While watching the game last night I said to myself" Jack hasn't kicked out on the full yet"

Then...

I have a feeling that penalty had just as much to do with the Fergo massage earlier as the elbow in that tackle. Whether he copped a warning after the refs saw the replay on fergo or not, I think it was drawing a line that we needed to clean that stuff up - I commented to someone last night that Ennis has obviously bought some grubbiness to the squad.
There was really nothing in it when penalised... but I was not too impressed by a facial on a bloke with a broken nose.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

I never thought I'd see a day when a Canberra Raiders side has conceded 44 in 5 games and the best defence in the comp. Pinch me I'm dreaming.

The trade off is our attack is fairly ordinary, it'll only get better though. If it means winning games of Rugby League I'll take a few less points scored. Being in the top 3 attacking sides hasn't got us that far the last few years. Loads of improvement in us and we're sitting 3rd. Happy days!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: April 15, 2019, 8:15 am

Then...

There was really nothing in it when penalised... but I was not too impressed by a facial on a bloke with a broken nose.
I was pretty **** impressed by it myself
The nose is broken, you're going to play on, it's up to us to make every time you touch the ball we make you reconsider that decision. Also **** Fergo forever.
Last edited by Botman on April 15, 2019, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

greeneyed wrote: April 15, 2019, 8:15 am

Then...

You want to stay on the field with a broken nose, expect to cop attention to it.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Yeah I gotta agree here, Fergo ran the risk by staying on the field injured... you will always be a target if the opposition knows you're playing on injured imo
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I was pretty scathing of all the one-off the ruck crashball plays live last night, but this morning with the benefit of a bit of hindsight gee whiz that was some good strategy from Stuart.

When you consider they've built their pack around Paulo and other big hitters, you really only needed to do to them what teams did to us all last season.

I mean, we had them so gassed at halftime that Rapana was able to openly say what the gameplan was in his interview as he walked off because they were too far gone by that point.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

A crowd of over 16000 on a Sunday night is outstanding.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Watched it again , it is even more impressive 2nd time round

The defence was relentless for 80min , we really didn't let them get going. Our forwards are making good metres , we marched up filed with ease. We do it better now without the big boppers.

We also arent making a lot of errors , even less in our own half

Im really enjoying how we have changed the way we play. We are playing to a game plan and sticking to it.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Mrs Bone managed to turn the foxrel off when I had it paused so only saw the last 20mins.
Rapt with 4-1

Sent from my SM-G973F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

Wighton topping the league in a couple of stat's and top 4 in another..

If he can get these under control, it'd go a long way to helping our team throughout the season, especially when facing the top teamsImage

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year