No votes
Eels 13+
6%

Total votes: 17

woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Game Day

Post by woppadingo »

Pete Cash wrote: April 14, 2019, 8:31 pm Our first contact was really good. That forces a lot of errors when the eels are constantly losing every tackle.
Yeh totally. Eels lost the ball because of the strength of our defense.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: April 14, 2019, 8:49 pm CNK is shaping very nicely for one of the buys of the season IMO.
Yeah i like him a lot
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm off to work.

Later winners !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Azza wrote:CNK is shaping very nicely for one of the buys of the season IMO.
Rivaled only by Bateman

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Rickman wrote:
You have to laugh at Jack Wighton though, gee he’s rocks and diamonds, isn’t he
I'm honestly not convinced that he's that bright.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Game Day

Post by LastRaider »

Defence wins matches. Full stop. Take those wins over scoring bonanzas any day.

Well done boys and also credit to the coach.

Only 2 notes to the team.

1. Lui, Sutton and all the forward pack need to watch how Sia hits the ball up. No jig, no skip, no pause. Just straight and hard every time and gets up for a quick play the ball all the time!

2. Wighton just needs to focus on running and not kicking!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Last edited by LastRaider on April 14, 2019, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

T_R wrote: April 14, 2019, 9:05 pm
The Rickman wrote:
I think he has an immense amount of natural talent - he just struggles to use it naturally... he overthinks a lot of things, and totally underthinks a lot of things, he struggles with balance.

As we saw with his shift to fullback, it doesn’t happen overnight for him. After a couple of years he actually got his head around the position and that confidence got rid of all his brain snaps. Shifting him into a game management position with lots of snap decisions to be made is a definite long term project.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Best defence in the comp after round 5.. that would have been paying 5000-1

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

The Rickman wrote:
He’s not alone in that category- Ricky does well to present game plans in single syllables
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

LastRaider wrote: April 14, 2019, 9:08 pm 2. Wighton just needs to focus on running and not kicking!
If he stops kicking, our long kicking game will take a fairly significant hit.
We're not good enough at the 7 or 9 for him to do that.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Azza wrote: April 14, 2019, 8:49 pm CNK is shaping very nicely for one of the buys of the season IMO.
Bateman is getting all the wraps but CNK has been just as important to our turnaround, and Sutton has been a big contributor as well.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Coastalraider wrote:
The Rickman wrote:
I think he has an immense amount of natural talent - he just struggles to use it naturally... he overthinks a lot of things, and totally underthinks a lot of things, he struggles with balance.

As we saw with his shift to fullback, it doesn’t happen overnight for him. After a couple of years he actually got his head around the position and that confidence got rid of all his brain snaps. Shifting him into a game management position with lots of snap decisions to be made is a definite long term project.
Oh, that he's a talented athlete, I don't question for a second.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Rickmando wrote: April 14, 2019, 8:19 pm
1992 wrote: April 14, 2019, 7:59 pm Canberra Raiders....defence kings in 2019 😎
Well, except for that one time we played a decent team and got towelled up...
on a 5 day turnaround after playing in a bog. get on board!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Coastalraider wrote: April 14, 2019, 9:09 pm
The Rickman wrote:

I really liked the way Wighton played today. Very direct and with purpose. Tested the defense quite a few times. Unfortunately far too many errors and silly penalties. If he fixes up those he’ll do a very handy job for us. Let’s see what happens in the upcoming games.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

PigRickman wrote: April 14, 2019, 9:11 pm
LastRaider wrote: April 14, 2019, 9:08 pm 2. Wighton just needs to focus on running and not kicking!
If he stops kicking, our long kicking game will take a fairly significant hit.
We're not good enough at the 7 or 9 for him to do that.
Yeah we need to be patient and persist with Wighton's kicking. Not only do we need him as an option there, particularly on long kicks, but he will improve the more he's required to do it. He's a confidence type of player, he needs time to feel comfortable and assured in that role. His good kicks have been pretty good so far, so we should see far less shanks as he progresses.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Oh, god, I'm so happy, I feel like my face will break from smiling.

(Also my throat hurts from ripping it screaming when Wighton took that catch-and-score, that was ****ing brilliant)

It was so ugly - but I don't care! Last year we lost those ugly games. We came out with intent, and we followed it through. We made stupid mistakes - but we defended the errors. We didn't score the 30 points the possession maybe suggested we should, but we didn't let them score ANY and they had lots of chances. We set it up, we held it on, we shut it down, and we closed it out.

My heart went from being unable to take the close losses to being unable to take this ever-increasing feeling that we've finally turned a whopper of a corner.

(Oh, and we bashed Ferguson's face to a pulp, legally I might add, which, uh, made me smile. A lot.)
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Off for an audio test this week. Thought I heard a radio commentator say “the Raiders are the best defensive team in the league”. I know that can’t be right...
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

RedRaider wrote:Thank you for a great birthday present Raiders. Two competition points and fabulous defence to shut out the Eels. That is how finals type football is won. Currently on hols with the grandkids at Darlington Beach. I think I'll have an extra VB tonight. Well done to Ricky for developing that sort of defence and making the player recruitment to make it happen. I'm looking for a back up performance against the Broncos.
Happy birthday Red!

2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Aero wrote: April 14, 2019, 9:57 pm
RedRaider wrote:Thank you for a great birthday present Raiders. Two competition points and fabulous defence to shut out the Eels. That is how finals type football is won. Currently on hols with the grandkids at Darlington Beach. I think I'll have an extra VB tonight. Well done to Ricky for developing that sort of defence and making the player recruitment to make it happen. I'm looking for a back up performance against the Broncos.
Happy birthday Red!

Yeah Red - I hope you had a good one!
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

kris-ko wrote: April 14, 2019, 8:06 pm Winning with ruthless efficiency. What is this sorcery?!?!
I only started reading from page 11, but that could be the comment of the night. :lol:
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

It feels like Jack Wighton has dropped the ball over the line, or been held up like seriously 18 out of the last 20 times he has crossed the white line. Maybe that bomb take will get the monkey off his back.

As everyone has pointed out, fantastic win with plenty of scope for improvement.

My family appreciate the happiness the start of this season brings to the gangrenous household
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Rickmando wrote: April 14, 2019, 8:19 pm
1992 wrote: April 14, 2019, 7:59 pm Canberra Raiders....defence kings in 2019 😎
Well, except for that one time we played a decent team and got towelled up...
AND we certainly learned from that, didn't we? That was very Storm-like.

Anyway, Derek Downer, we play the Sea Eagles in round 8 (currently 6th), Roosters in round 9 (2nd at the moment; we could leap-frog them), Rabbitohs round 10 (currently 4th), Tigers round 13 (currently 5th) and then Eels again in round 15.

I think this is a chance for the lads to work themselves into top form and make a solid claim for 2nd spot on the ladder. Roosters play Storm this coming week. So, it is a strong possibility that we could jump into 1st depending on P/D.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Tremendous start to the season. I definitely did not think we would be 4-1 at the end of round 5 with the best defensive record in the league. Props to the team and coaching staff for turning the defence around. I hope the lads can keep it up for the rest of the season.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Billy Walker wrote: April 14, 2019, 10:05 pm
Aero wrote: April 14, 2019, 9:57 pm
Happy birthday Red!

Yeah Red - I hope you had a good one!
Thanks Aero and Billy - 21 AGAIN. On hols with family and a Raiders victory - it doesn't get better.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders produce second shutout in emphatic Parramatta Eels win

It wasn't perfect, but it was emphatic. And Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart seems to have built himself a lime green wall.

"Sam was good tonight. Jack was in doubt playing this week and with a lot of work with his physio he trained OK and got through it," Ricky Stuart said. "It's lovely to see Sam taking his opportunity and playing the way he is. It's what you've got to do when you get into first grade.

CANBERRA RAIDERS 19 (Josh Papalii, Elliott Whitehead, Jack Wighton tries; Jarrod Croker 3 goals; Sam Williams field goal) bt PARRAMATTA EELS 0 at Canberra Stadium. Referees: Henry Perenara, Tim Roby. Crowd: 16,059.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Then there was one? NSW Blues wing opening up for Canberra Raiders' Nick Cotric

Is Nick Cotric the last man standing? The Canberra Raiders winger has to be firming to make his State of Origin debut for the NSW Blues after yet another injury to an outside back.

With James Roberts (Achilles) and Tom Trbojevic (hamstring) already out injured, Parramatta winger Blake Ferguson added himself to the list with a rib injury.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Fingers crossed for Tapine's ankle after injury curse strikes again

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart is hoping some good luck finally falls on his star back-rower Joe Tapine after the Kiwi international was again felled by the injury curse that has haunted him for the past three seasons.

"We've got to get scans tomorrow, I've just got my fingers crossed in regards to it not being a break but that it's ligament damage," Stuart said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/14/fin ... kes-again/

MATCH REPORT: Raiders continue surge up ladder with shutout win over Eels: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/14/rai ... over-eels/

MATCH REPORT: Raiders shut out Eels: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... tout-eels/

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Raiders v Eels: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/14/mat ... rs-v-eels/

TEAM SONG: Raiders v Eels: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... eels---r5/

Bruised and broken: Ferguson future under cloud after rib and nose injuries: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/14/bru ... -injuries/

Is it time to doubleheader down with Canberra Raiders and ACT Brumbies at Canberra Stadium? https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Keghead wrote: April 14, 2019, 8:19 pmI just picture myself on the wagon and kicking you right in the face while you are chasing it trying to jump on.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's been said multiple times, but it was just so satisfying to completely strangle a team out of the game. Parra were literally never in it. That was a true 80 mins performance as far as I'm concerned. I don't care what we score if we duck egg anyone, but 19 points differential is bloody great anyway. Last few years if we win by 19, it means we've scored 41.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Parra supporters sooking about everything makes that so much sweeter

To the point we're a **** team for kicking a field goal..

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Who could believe we could play like that. There is still plenty room for improvement but to keep Parra to 0 is impressive.

We forced a lot of their errors. We dominated .

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

-TW- wrote: April 14, 2019, 10:37 pm Parra supporters sooking about everything makes that so much sweeter

To the point we're a **** team for kicking a field goal..

:lol:

Geographically, Parra is my local team. I love when we beat them. Sending my mate duck eggs tonight is giving me a lot of joy.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:It feels like Jack Wighton has dropped the ball over the line, or been held up like seriously 18 out of the last 20 times he has crossed the white line. Maybe that bomb take will get the monkey off his back.

As everyone has pointed out, fantastic win with plenty of scope for improvement.

My family appreciate the happiness the start of this season brings to the gangrenous household Image
My liver hasn't been this healthy in over 2 years.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Under no circumstances did I think we would be 4-1 to start the season. No way did I think we would be letting in less than 9 points per game, holding two sides to zero and winning both games away in qld. Amazing start, and love the way they have gone about it. It’s been deserved not last minute wins. Tonight was a basic game plan but a full 80 minute execution.

On another note if NSW are looking for a centre or a winger I would be looking close to Wighton than Cotric. Nothing against Nick but Wighton can cover the whole back 6 and with a simple game plan is all over him. His defence is outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

This is doing the rounds on social media and in my group chat:

That's from the Bateman head clash.
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

Rick wrote: April 14, 2019, 11:00 pm Under no circumstances did I think we would be 4-1 to start the season. No way did I think we would be letting in less than 9 points per game, holding two sides to zero and winning both games away in qld. Amazing start, and love the way they have gone about it. It’s been deserved not last minute wins. Tonight was a basic game plan but a full 80 minute execution.

On another note if NSW are looking for a centre or a winger I would be looking close to Wighton than Cotric. Nothing against Nick but Wighton can cover the whole back 6 and with a simple game plan is all over him. His defence is outstanding.

If not a starting spot he would have to be high on the utility list you would think.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Stats tonight from some of the players gunning for a Blues jersey

Cotric
121m
7 tackle breaks
1 line break

Wighton
1 try
3 tackle breaks
28 tackles

Ferguson
1 pre-game vom
1 broken nose
3 busted ribs
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Sid wrote:Stats tonight from some of the players gunning for a Blues jersey

Cotric
121m
7 tackle breaks
1 line break

Wighton
1 try
3 tackle breaks
28 tackles

Ferguson
1 pre-game vom
1 broken nose
3 busted ribs
ImageImageImage

What about John Bateman from John Batemans bay??? He has to be a walk up start Image