Williams or Sezer?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Green2ooF
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Meninga

Williams or Sezer?

Post by Green2ooF »

Who should wear the number 7 this Sunday, Sam Willians or Aiden Sezer?
I’m of the belief that it’s Sammy’s until his form or injury warrants that he loses it! If Sezer is chosen and we lose against my nemesis the Eels, I will be unhappy, Thoughts?
Last edited by Green2ooF on May 15, 2019, 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
edwahu

Re: Williams or Sezer

Post by edwahu »

I wouldn't make a marginal change to a winning team. Williams will need to defend a lot better this week though.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Williams is better in attack and Sezer is better in defence. Who cares, there isn't really a lot separating the two.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

In a straight out selection id chose sezer every time. However, you can not dump sam for sezer if you want to maintain the “competition for spots” mentality. Sezer back through a mounties mom performance only
Dont delete this GE
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

We'll find out on Team List Tuesday, whichever day of the week that is....
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

I think South Park did an episode in a similar vein???
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

simo wrote: April 9, 2019, 7:35 am In a straight out selection id chose sezer every time. However, you can not dump sam for sezer if you want to maintain the “competition for spots” mentality. Sezer back through a mounties mom performance only
Why? Sezer has literally added nothing in attack for a long time now. I'm of the mind that given our defence is performing at a very high level we stick with Williams. If Williams defence starts costing us games it becomes a discussion, until then he's the man as he does everything on attack better than Sezer.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: April 9, 2019, 7:35 am In a straight out selection id chose sezer every time. However, you can not dump sam for sezer if you want to maintain the “competition for spots” mentality. Sezer back through a mounties mom performance only
Agreed.
Whilst the team is winning, Sam holds the spot. Up to Sezer to work his way back into the team. That's what i'd do.

This #7 jersey is going to swap around at least 3-4 more times this year IMO. I think we're just going to constantly see change there. Because exactly this... Sezer wasnt playing particularly well, got hurt, now Sam's in... but we saw last week how problematic that is and at some point the change will be made because this is trying to be a defence first team... and around we'll go again, Sezer probably wont play that well, or he'll get hurt, and Sam will have good form at Mounties and in he comes and it'll again be a matter of time before his defensive issues are brought to the forefront and Sezer is back.

I wont be shocked if Sezer is brought straight back in, Williams hasnt set the world on fire. He's played the knights and Cowboys. Against both squads, the only thing keeping them in the game in the first half was that our halfback didnt really stand up. The knights game was horrific on that front. William's play hasn't translated to significantly better or more creative attack, and his defensive issues were on display big time last week.

Again, it's not what i'd do, because George Williams is coming and i dont care anymore about trying to build either of these two up, so for mine, if you're keeping a spot warm, i think you stay with a winning team. But if Sezer is healthy, it wouldnt in the least bit shock me to see Stuart name him.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:
Why? Sezer has literally added nothing in attack for a long time now. I'm of the mind that given our defence is performing at a very high level we stick with Williams. If Williams defence starts costing us games it becomes a discussion, until then he's the man as he does everything on attack better than Sezer.
IMO if Sezer plays last week we hold Cowboys to zero and we probably score two tries less. I think it's probably easier to try and fix Williams defensive issues over fixing Sezer's attack.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

PigRickman wrote: April 9, 2019, 8:14 am
Agreed.
Whilst the team is winning, Sam holds the spot. Up to Sezer to work his way back into the team. That's what i'd do.

This #7 jersey is going to swap around at least 3-4 more times this year IMO. I think we're just going to constantly see change there. Because exactly this... Sezer wasnt playing particularly well, got hurt, now Sam's in... but we saw last week how problematic that is and at some point the change will be made because this is trying to be a defence first team... and around we'll go again, Sezer probably wont play that well, or he'll get hurt, and Sam will have good form at Mounties and in he comes and it'll again be a matter of time before his defensive issues are brought to the forefront and Sezer is back.

I wont be shocked if Sezer is brought straight back in, Williams hasnt set the world on fire. He's played the knights and Cowboys. Against both squads, the only thing keeping them in the game in the first half was that our halfback didnt really stand up. The knights game was horrific on that front. William's play hasn't translated to significantly better or more creative attack, and his defensive issues were on display big time last week.

Again, it's not what i'd do, because George Williams is coming and i dont care anymore about trying to build either of these two up, so for mine, if you're keeping a spot warm, i think you stay with a winning team. But if Sezer is healthy, it wouldnt in the least bit shock me to see Stuart name him.
Granted it was the Storm, but we looked rudderless in Sezer's last match as we have so often with him controlling things. He's not an organising half to anyone with half a clue. If Williams gets the start against a top 8 side this weekend and we look equally lost at sea in attack then by all means bring Sezer back, until then it's not really a debate.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Williams for me, but you could honestly toss a coin

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 9, 2019, 8:10 am
Williams defence literally keeps other teams in the game. Also, besides his try i havent seen a williams contribute some astounding level of attack that hes miles ahead of sezer.
Anyway, i said sezer needs to earn the spot off sam so i dont see what the issue is?
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 9, 2019, 8:20 am Granted it was the Storm, but we looked rudderless in Sezer's last match as we have so often with him controlling things. He's not an organising half to anyone with half a clue. If Williams gets the start against a top 8 side this weekend and we look equally lost at sea in attack then by all means bring Sezer back, until then it's not really a debate.
Yeah look i think that's fair. I think we've spent large parts of the last 2 games without a rudder too. Had Williams provided one, those games are done at the half.
I think if we played the storm again this week with Sam we'd see similar results. But as said, you dont change a winning team. Sezer's proven that he's not good enough to warrant that treatment. It's William's spot until Sezer plays his way into it, or more likely, Williams plays his way out of it.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 9, 2019, 8:20 am
Agreed.

Granted it was the Storm, but we looked rudderless in Sezer's last match as we have so often with him controlling things. He's not an organising half to anyone with half a clue. If Williams gets the start against a top 8 side this weekend and we look equally lost at sea in attack then by all means bring Sezer back, until then it's not really a debate.
So, despite disagreeing, you agree? Very good
Dont delete this GE
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

simo wrote: April 9, 2019, 8:24 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 9, 2019, 8:10 am
Williams defence literally keeps other teams in the game. Also, besides his try i havent seen a williams contribute some astounding level of attack that hes miles ahead of sezer.
Anyway, i said sezer needs to earn the spot off sam so i dont see what the issue is?
I think he has a more composed kicking game (I'm used to seeing at least 2 panic kicks a game straight into defenders from Sezer) and an a ability to not stall the attack as Sezer can. Sezer overplays his hand so much in attack he just ends up getting in the way.

As pig said they are much of a muchness and both are far from ideal. But with Jack providing the defense first approach I prefer Williams for balance.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

simo wrote: April 9, 2019, 8:31 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 9, 2019, 8:20 am
Agreed.

So, despite disagreeing, you agree? Very good
Nope because in a straight out selection I'd never say Sezer every time. Sezer hasn't done anything in his time with us to warrant winning any selection debate every time.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Williams is a better halfback than Sezer, end of really. Both are clearly not ideal first choice halves though.

Infact, Sezer shouldn't even be considered a halfback - he simply doesn't think or act like one. The only things that you could say he's better at than Williams are defence and long passing. And even then, his defence isn't that good.

Ricky has made some very astute recruitment decisions since he's been here but halves clearly hasn't been one of them, save for Austin's debut season with us.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I don't blame Ricky for recruiting Sezer though. At the Titans he seemed a very promising halfback with the world at his feet... he just hasn't really kicked on.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Sezer is one of the better defensive halves in the comp, Williams is one of the worst. It's a huge gap. Having said that WIlliams did get a pass mark defensively in his first game, so perhaps last week was a one off and there may be some improvement in that area this year.
Last edited by edwahu on April 9, 2019, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Azza wrote: April 9, 2019, 9:43 am I don't blame Ricky for recruiting Sezer though. At the Titans he seemed a very promising halfback with the world at his feet... he just hasn't really kicked on.
Yup same here. The two year contract extension was highly questionable though.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

This year, I'd take Williams on what I've seen.

We look a better team with Williams in the side. We look clunky with Sezer and he has no running game- Sam at least keeps them honest with a decent step and dart.

I honestly don't know what people expect our halves to do- we've looked better in the red zone with Williams and at best our halves get one play each in the red zone- and that after Hodgo has taken a valuable second away with a quick look and often a few steps to decide if he'll play himself or not. There's not much quick clean ball. They are an afterthought.

More importantly, his kicking has been excellent. Sezer's kicking has been poor to average, Williams has been excellent. I don't think it's fair to say Williams defence has kept teams in the games- left edge has been worse and I can only remember one try cause from Williams.

But I would say Williams kicking has been instrumental in giving us the field position to control games. He hits the sideline when needed and he's found grass and the corners almost every time. He's our only kicker who isn't currently putting them over the sideline on the full on the regular too.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

the team has looked better the last2 weeks. Im more inclined to pin that on the team being in their 3rd and 4th game than williams being far superior to sezer.
Dont delete this GE
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

PigRickman wrote: April 9, 2019, 8:26 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 9, 2019, 8:20 am Granted it was the Storm, but we looked rudderless in Sezer's last match as we have so often with him controlling things. He's not an organising half to anyone with half a clue. If Williams gets the start against a top 8 side this weekend and we look equally lost at sea in attack then by all means bring Sezer back, until then it's not really a debate.
Yeah look i think that's fair. I think we've spent large parts of the last 2 games without a rudder too. Had Williams provided one, those games are done at the half.
I think if we played the storm again this week with Sam we'd see similar results. But as said, you dont change a winning team. Sezer's proven that he's not good enough to warrant that treatment. It's William's spot until Sezer plays his way into it, or more likely, Williams plays his way out of it.
I think the forwards had far more to do with that game than the halves. When your forwards are getting bullied like that even a Cronk or a Thurston is going to have a hard time.

I agree with others in keeping Williams in the winning team and letting Sezer spend some time with Mounties.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That and not playing the Melbourne Storm. :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Green2ooF wrote: April 9, 2019, 7:06 am Who should wear the number 7 this Sunday, Sam Willians or Aiden Sezer?
I’m of the belief that it’s Sammy’s until his form or injury warrants that he loses it! If Sezer is chosen and we lose against my nemesis the Eels, I will be unhappy, Thoughts?
...and if Williams is chosen and we lose to Eels you will be happy? :hmmm
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: April 9, 2019, 11:04 am That and not playing the Melbourne Storm. :lol:
Fair to say the opposition in our 3 wins has been pretty ordinary.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Why can’t we have unlimited interchange? Sezer in Defence and Williams in attack.

I’m happy Ricky has to make this decision, not me.

I would have definitely locked in Williams, if I hadn’t seen the two try scoring defence errors he made last weekend.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Simply, whoever has a higher dollar value in supercoach that week.
WorkChoice
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I'd stick with Williams for now. Sezer to come back in Mounties and prove he's got the hunger to force his way back into the team.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

LP Raider wrote: April 9, 2019, 12:08 pm Simply, whoever has a higher dollar value in supercoach that week.
Finally somebody bringing logic to the debate. :clap:
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Both are not the answer. The Broncos have 3 of the best young halves in the game under contract yet persist with Nikorima.

Go to the player managers and offer them the rest of the year in first grade. Guaranteed you will get one of them released.

The obvious risk is you will end up with an inconsistent weak defender.....which we already seem to have!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

RTW wrote: April 9, 2019, 1:34 pm Both are not the answer. The Broncos have 3 of the best young halves in the game under contract yet persist with Nikorima.

Go to the player managers and offer them the rest of the year in first grade. Guaranteed you will get one of them released.

The obvious risk is you will end up with an inconsistent weak defender.....which we already seem to have!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I like how you make that claim so matter of factually.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Williams..for now.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Sammy. Halfback seemed a bit of a coin toss to start the yr. In this case the old adage 'you dont change a winning side' has to apply.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I don't think Williams' kicking game is so much better than Sezer's that it makes up for Williams being a turnstile. Has to be Sezer for me.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.