Williams or Sezer?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Williams or Sezer

Post by Northern Raider »

edwahu wrote: April 28, 2019, 4:17 pm Sezer really isn't much better. Defensively he is at least, but I don't see a different result with him today.

How is Hingano going?
If you're going to drop Sam it won't be for Hingano.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Williams' defence wasn't the issue today. Losing Rapana was the problem with the first two of their tries.

And in the second half it was our middle forward's poor discipline.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Green eyed Mick wrote: April 28, 2019, 4:23 pm Williams' defence wasn't the issue today. Losing Rapana was the problem with the first two of their tries.

And in the second half it was our middle forward's poor discipline.
Its not his defence I'm critical of today.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

My only gripe with Williams is that so far, he's averaging on 9 metres run per game. That's not going to throw any questions into the opposition's heads.

However, he usually only gets the ball to set up his outside backs or to kick. Hodgson needs to step back and even things out between Williams and Wighton.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

His kicking today (40/20 which was absolute sex aside) was absolutely abysmal
Just constantly and consistently setting up manly on their 30 and 40. His bombs didn’t have enough height on them and were way to deep

It contributed heavily to the way things went for us. I’d keep him for Penrith, but he’s got to do better. He’s giving us nothing in attack, he’s supposed to be an upgrade on Sezer here and it’s not happening, he’s a lottery defensively and if he can’t at least kick well, that’s not giving the coach any reason to stick with him
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Sam's short line drop out which went out on the full was poor. Thankfully the side defended it well and play moved on. On the other side of the coin he kicked a 40/20 only to see Jack give a forward pass to EW to kill the momentum. We were leading 14-6 at the time. If we were able to maintain pressure at that point I think we may have taken the game away from them. We'll never know.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I want to give Williams another opportunity next week. But I did think Sam caused a couple of line breaks with poor defensive reads and missed tackles. But he wasn’t alone today.

He’s not getting himself in the right attacking areas either.

Deserves another shot to return to his best.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BJ wrote: April 28, 2019, 5:27 pm I want to give Williams another opportunity next week. But I did think Sam caused a couple of line breaks with poor defensive reads and missed tackles. But he wasn’t alone today.

He’s not getting himself in the right attacking areas either.

Deserves another shot to return to his best.
Yep, he needs to do more. Give him one more shot at it.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Give him one more shot after 4 on the trot and a far from awful game.

Ever so generous.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

PigRickman wrote: April 28, 2019, 4:18 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 28, 2019, 4:12 pm Yup no good options but Williams was poor today, so no arguments if Sezer gets a run. I do think we need to find a clear first choice by rounds 11 or 12 though.
Yeah I agree with that last bit
I think the coach is going to have to pick one, understanding neither is good and just go with it
We’re not at any risk of winning a comp this year so you just want to work the combinations

My preference would be whoever’s game most closely mirrors George’s
I don’t think we have one given what I’ve read here of him, but whoever the coach thinks is closer would get my nod
Youd have to think that sam wins that based solely onthe boys being able to call him williams.
Itd be nice to gave a half that we dont have to completely disregard from our defensive line.
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: April 28, 2019, 6:46 pm
PigRickman wrote: April 28, 2019, 4:18 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 28, 2019, 4:12 pm Yup no good options but Williams was poor today, so no arguments if Sezer gets a run. I do think we need to find a clear first choice by rounds 11 or 12 though.
Yeah I agree with that last bit
I think the coach is going to have to pick one, understanding neither is good and just go with it
We’re not at any risk of winning a comp this year so you just want to work the combinations

My preference would be whoever’s game most closely mirrors George’s
I don’t think we have one given what I’ve read here of him, but whoever the coach thinks is closer would get my nod
Youd have to think that sam wins that based solely onthe boys being able to call him williams.
Perfect
Let’s roll, go Williams
:lol:
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

gangrenous wrote: April 28, 2019, 6:00 pm Give him one more shot after 4 on the trot and a far from awful game.

Ever so generous.
That’s absolutely fair.

Not his fault Hodgson had a howler and no one else could tackle.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gangrenous wrote: April 28, 2019, 6:00 pm Give him one more shot after 4 on the trot and a far from awful game.

Ever so generous.
When he becomes more of a factor in games I'll be more generous. He was not instrumental in any of our wins and he didn't offer anything today. He got a chance following injury to Sezer. Yes we've been winning but he's kept his spot on the back of performances by his team mates.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Anyone know how Sezer went today? (Sorry if it been covered).
One of the rare Sydney games I’ve missed in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Williams was abysmal today. Far from a Sezer fan but gee I've still got him in front of this Williams fella
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Williams defence got shown up today, no one around him trusts him and for good reason. That causes problems.

Sezer back. Shake up the team put them on notice.
There was not enough urgency and commitment to defence today. A message needs to be sent.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I'm sorry, I must be missing the part where it shows Aidan Sezer deserves to be playing first grade and isn't a completely garbage footballer. He's done nothing for the most part of three seasons.

This forum after one loss :lol: GOOD gri......
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

One loss to Melbourne, with injuries was enough to see everyone call for him to lose his job... one loss indeed.
And Manly without DCE for 40% of the game wont hold a candle to the Storm, so keep that same energy
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Brew wrote: April 28, 2019, 7:50 pm Anyone know how Sezer went today? (Sorry if it been covered).
One of the rare Sydney games I’ve missed in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Reportedly well. Set up 2 tries from the highlights. Hingano played well also.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

PigRickman wrote:One loss to Melbourne, with injuries was enough to see everyone call for him to lose his job... one loss indeed.
And Manly without DCE for 40% of the game wont hold a candle to the Storm, so keep that same energy
One loss in 2019, 14? In 2018 and 2017...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: April 28, 2019, 10:38 pm
PigRickman wrote:One loss to Melbourne, with injuries was enough to see everyone call for him to lose his job... one loss indeed.
One loss in 2019, 14? In 2018 and 2017...
Hold on there, cowboy
If you want to go beyond 2019 we can, but Sam has 80 odd of those games you’re opening this up too, and most of them are loses too ;)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Quite some time ago though. Sezer’s run is current.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

I don't think there is much between them, but all I know is the thought of Kikau running at Williams this week sends chills down my spine. I think you have to get Sezer on - he will still get steam rolled, but his first up contact will be better than Williams, and I think he has a slightly better long kicking game.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I think the initial plan was to put pressure on the Manly fullback Elliot with high kicks coming out of the sun. The Raiders put up 3 within the first 15 minutes, 2 by Sam and one by Jack, which the young bloke caught well. Full credit to him. Sam's 40/20 was spoiled on the first set when Jack threw a forward pass to EW.

As for Sam's defence well he tackled Joel Thompson very well a couple of times in the first half and try saver on Elliot in the 2nd half. The Manly second try came after Rapa went off. JB was defending at right center and Sam was to his left. Both went to for a Manly player who offloaded to Parker and Sam peeled off to try to cover Parker but he was just too quick for him and his inside pass saw Lachlan Croker go over. I have to say I was pleased for Lachlan Croker coming off an ACL last year - he played well.

A kick is only as good as its chase and Sam stared the second half with a chip which was chased well by BJ for a goal line drop out. Once again we could not maintain pressure when the line drop out is taken by Guler who loses the ball in the tackle. When we next have possession he put up a bomb which Cotric gets to but cannot catch it. His next bomb to Elliot is well taken but our chase is poor and he goes across field before making a break. His next bomb to Elliot sees the Raiders penalised for inside the 10. His attempted short kick off goes out on the full. Poor effort but an obvious plan to try to get some possession. Fox said Manly had more than 60% possession in 2nd half. The team defends it well though. His next bomb is knocked on by BJ. He also put in a couple of touch finders in the 2nd half. I have no doubt this was because the side had little possession and he was looking to get some air into the lungs of his forwards.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Some people are so happy with williams mediocrity and poor defence yet hate sezer for his mediocrity and above averege defence. Williams is bog and shouldnt be in first grade no matter how good a guy he is.
Dont delete this GE
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Gents, this week Sammy has to tackle Villiame Kikau. GOOD LUCK!
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Matt wrote: April 29, 2019, 9:41 am Gents, this week Sammy has to tackle Villiame Kikau. GOOD LUCK!
Only if rick is dumb enough to pick him
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: April 29, 2019, 7:30 am Quite some time ago though. Sezer’s run is current.
Since 2016..
Sezer is 37-31-0 in games he's played for the Raiders
Williams is 13-13-1 in games he's played

Williams current run aint all that and a bag a chips. He's been pretty much a passenger this season
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I don't care either way, nice 40/20 from Williams but aside from that he did nothing. He was barking orders at Hodgson during breaks in play but he doesn't run the ball and Hodgson seems to either go with forward hitups or out to Wighton.

How our halves play has more to do with Ricky's unimaginative gameplans. We've done so well to fix up our defence (aside from the past 2 games) but our attack, our football smarts, our structure and game management suck so bad. Just compare the two sides yesterday. They had no right to be on the same field as us. Hasler can actually coach a side, it's so depressing.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Williams for me this week.
George that is
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

simo wrote: April 29, 2019, 9:58 am
Matt wrote: April 29, 2019, 9:41 am Gents, this week Sammy has to tackle Villiame Kikau. GOOD LUCK!
Only if rick is dumb enough to pick him

Ok... Ill put it another way, whomever wears the #7 this wk better go stand on Northbourne Ave and tackle the tram all week, coz that will be easier than tackling Kikau.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I think I'd actually go with Sezer this week.

Sorry Sammy.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: April 29, 2019, 10:34 am I don't care either way, nice 40/20 from Williams but aside from that he did nothing. He was barking orders at Hodgson during breaks in play but he doesn't run the ball and Hodgson seems to either go with forward hitups or out to Wighton.

How our halves play has more to do with Ricky's unimaginative gameplans. We've done so well to fix up our defence (aside from the past 2 games) but our attack, our football smarts, our structure and game management suck so bad. Just compare the two sides yesterday. They had no right to be on the same field as us. Hasler can actually coach a side, it's so depressing.
Unimaginative game plan has worked OK in recent weeks. It caught up with us on the weekend as Manly were ready for it. Other than Jack having spiders on him in the first 10 mins we didn't really threaten their defensive line.

The biggest issue I see with Williams is he's not really contributing to our wins and he's got nothing if we're needing somebody to spark something. Its all on the players around him, which is not the great for a halfback. When he did get his hands on the ball it was mostly to kick. On the other times when he did pass it was in immediate dish off to another player. He didn't engage the defnese at any stage before making his play. Only one time did he run with the ball. It was one out and he got smashed. His game was way way below par based on what you need from your no7.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:
gergreg wrote: April 29, 2019, 10:34 am I don't care either way, nice 40/20 from Williams but aside from that he did nothing. He was barking orders at Hodgson during breaks in play but he doesn't run the ball and Hodgson seems to either go with forward hitups or out to Wighton.

Unimaginative game plan has worked OK in recent weeks. It caught up with us on the weekend as Manly were ready for it. Other than Jack having spiders on him in the first 10 mins we didn't really threaten their defensive line.

The biggest issue I see with Williams is he's not really contributing to our wins and he's got nothing if we're needing somebody to spark something. Its all on the players around him, which is not the great for a halfback. When he did get his hands on the ball it was mostly to kick. On the other times when he did pass it was in immediate dish off to another player. He didn't engage the defnese at any stage before making his play. Only one time did he run with the ball. It was one out and he got smashed. His game was way way below par based on what you need from your no7.
We were also found out against Broncos and a loss there is probably what the team deserved. We were completely gone in that game and a huge mistackle from Haas then a lucky try to Sutton got us home. It's usually those type of lucky (some might say undeserved wins) which lulls any side into complacency and the following week is probably a loss in this competition, purely based on the attitude.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Northern Raider wrote: April 29, 2019, 2:48 pm

thats all very true but problem is its pretty much the identical story of aiden Sezers past couple of years.
There's very little between the two of them, both aren't up to it but will look ok when we get front foot ball.
just get the other Williams here ASAP, toss a coin who you pick before then it doesn't really matter