All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Williams or Sezer

Post by zim »

He may have been instructed to completely disregard our defensive shape?
There's plenty of reasons during a game to come out of the line but a coach telling your weakest defender to go head hunting is not one of them.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

John Bateman was completely brushed away by Morgan in a tackle he should've made, yet that did not get mentioned once. Once! :lol:

Look, I think it's pretty clear Piggles has a long standing grudge against Sam and much of what he posts about him is a continuation of that. On the other hand, I don't think anyone has a 'love affair' with him either. He's a decent, run of the mill half who makes an excellent back up and is by most reports a consumate professional and great clubman. We know that he isn't on much coin, and therefore represents good value.

However, at the end of the day it's crystal clear that we need a quality halfback to come into this side. We won't get anywhere without one.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Because once Williams breaks that shape it doesn't really matter. He goes off by himself and creates problems for everyone around him by doing it. If he maintains that shape he might even be there to get in the way.
Austin got crucified for it last year. Why shouldn't Williams?
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Sammy for sure. I’m happy for him to keep the jersey warm before George arrives.

I can’t support Sezer anymore, had a gutful. He should be shopped around.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, anyone saying that try by Cooper was anyone else’s fault but Sammy’s is watching a completely different game than me and I love “Sammy” (lol)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

edwahu wrote: April 9, 2019, 5:41 pm It started because his edge doesn't regularly let tries in and when it does it isn't down to his involvement all the time. He isn't regularly making poor decisions or getting beaten in a meaningful way at a high rate.

As for missed tackles, there are 50-70 missed tackles a game and usually around 5 line breaks. What do you think that says about it as a defensive stat? It simply not a good indicator of a players defense unless it's a real outlier as 90% of tackles involve 2+ players and the only damage if a player falls off is meters.

If you want to rely on stats there are far better stats out there like try cause which show Sezer is a good defensive player.
It's the missed tackles on any part of the field which allow the opposition to gain so many meters against us. Up until this year we have surrendered large amounts of territory per set. I think 'try cause' is a subjective assessment in many cases. I remember well the number of tries which were scored untouched down our flanks. No player missed a tackle and no player didn't follow the defensive pattern of the time, but still the tries were regularly scored down the free ways which were our edges.

I will stick my neck out and ask Ed, in the Cooper try against us last week, which player/s were given to receive the 'try cause'.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Sam Williams was credited with two try causes. Bateman has 3 total for the season and would've got 1 for the weekend I think. You can have multiple for a single try. Multiple statisticians review the games so it is subjective but certainly more objective than opinions on here.

I think it is very rare that you would have a try not from a kick that doesn't have a defensive error in the lead up to it. You only get a free way down the edge if mistakes are made. Heaps of those tries were because Jnr was slow at marker.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Thanks for the info Ed.

This laughter is not aimed at you Ed as you have only set out the facts :lol: but who could ever argue with a "Multiple statisticians review" of a play in a footy game? We all have our views on what happens on the field and there will be plenty of times we fans will agree to disagree.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

You could argue with them but it would be a fans 2c vs multiple independant people following the same interpretation guide. They won't be totally objective but they will be far less subjective.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Feel I've lost track of this debate. Is it now Williams or Bateman?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

Can we start to only say good things about Sammy? That way, the club can pitch him as a swap for G. Williams, alleviating the transfer fee :)

For the record... Sam.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think it would be a mistake to rush Sezer back in to the line up.
I won’t be surprised if it happens, we conceded two tries last week and both were on Williams but we won the game comfortably, Stuart should roll with the winning team
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Hasn’t anyone figured out that Sezer is crap yet? I can count the amount of good games he’s had in the lime green on one hand. Williams is the better half, albeit not by much, and by no means first grade quality.

If we want to mount a serious challenge for the Premiership we are going to have to go to market for a proper half back, rather than settling for mediocrity who might guide us to the top 8.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

rayden83 wrote:Hasn’t anyone figured out that Sezer is crap yet? I can count the amount of good games he’s had in the lime green on one hand. Williams is the better half, albeit not by much, and by no means first grade quality.

If we want to mount a serious challenge for the Premiership we are going to have to go to market for a proper half back, rather than settling for mediocrity who might guide us to the top 8.
I think the majority worked this out a while ago

I defended him to the hills for the first couple of years, but I'm off the wagon now

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Williams, Sezer great mates but two doesn't go into one

The success of the Canberra Raiders this season will come down in part to finding a preferred No. 7, with Sam Williams and Aidan Sezer contending for the role.

"It just comes down to being professional about how you operate," Williams said of the balancing act."I'm good mates with Aidan and over the years I've been mates with all of the halves I have played with, so as much as you want to be playing, it's not their fault or anyone's doing, it's just the way professional sport is.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/13/wil ... -into-one/
Vaccinated
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

To say Sam Williams is not NRL quality is laughable. As a genuine halfback I'd have him above Kodi Nikorima (simply not a halfback), Ash Taylor, Brody Croft (good potential, but anyone will look reasonable in that Storm side - he doesn't have to do much), Blake Green, Chad Townsend (talk about going missing on a regular basis), Lachlan Lewis, and even Luke Brooks is borderline IMO.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on April 14, 2019, 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Seiffert82 wrote:To say Sam Williams is not NRL quality is laughable. As a genuine halfback I'd have him above Kodi Nikorima (simply not a halfback), Ash Taylor, Brody Croft (good potential, but anyone will look reasonable in that Storm side - he doesn't have to do much), David Fusitu'á, Chad Townsend (talk about going missing on a regular basis), Lachlan Lewis, and even Luke Brooks is borderline IMO.
David Fusitu’á scored way more tries than any halfback last year though
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Sid wrote: April 14, 2019, 4:30 am
Seiffert82 wrote:To say Sam Williams is not NRL quality is laughable. As a genuine halfback I'd have him above Kodi Nikorima (simply not a halfback), Ash Taylor, Brody Croft (good potential, but anyone will look reasonable in that Storm side - he doesn't have to do much), David Fusitu'á, Chad Townsend (talk about going missing on a regular basis), Lachlan Lewis, and even Luke Brooks is borderline IMO.
David Fusitu’á scored way more tries than any halfback last year though
Sorry, no frikken idea what I was thinking last night. Fusitu'a is their a right winger. I actually meant Blake Green! That is so weird. :lol:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Williams is Locked in to be playing, so good luck to him cementing a position with continued good performances.

Stuart has done a better job this year in rewarding form, but still giving players an opportunity to make up for a single bad game.

The decision last year to drop Papalli was good for the player and the club.
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

Sezer is the better defender, Sam better in attack, both ordinary overall

But dead set if Sam.is there due to his attack and control, please do something with this game. Again, we look like we have no structure

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ive long given up getting anything out of our halfbacks in any consistent sense in attack.
As long as we're keeping clean sheets, Williams stays
I dont think we're getting much more out of him in attack, and certainly if we get that much ball in the red zone i want a halfback capable of putting on some **** points... but he's played 3 games and 2 of them have been sound defensively. That'll keep him in the top grade, as it should.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Williams did his job in defence tonight, and I love how he organised the blokes around him to set up for that field goal at the end, good practice of a set play

Also put in a great kick for Jack’s try and his general kicking game was largely on point. Solid halfback’s game in a 19-nil shutout and completely justifies coach Stuart’s decision to play him over Sezer

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

2019 field goals.

Sam 2
Aidan 1
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote:2019 field goals.

Sam 2
Aidan 1
When did Aidan kick one?

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: April 14, 2019, 8:27 pm

Sam 2
Aidan 1
When did Aidan kick one?

Round one you drunk!!
Izzy hates you.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I totally forgot that, but I was pretty drunk. Seems the boys are taking as many shots at FG as they can, getting used to setting up for them.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, I’m very proud of the way the coaching staff and the team have addressed all of their biggest problems from the last few seasons

Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Theres got to be a comp going between them both for the most field goals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

2 repeat sets
1 try assist
1 field goal

Job done, even though Hodgson stunk it up tonight and robbed him and Jack of huge amounts of ball.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: April 14, 2019, 8:34 pm 2 repeat sets
1 try assist
1 field goal

Job done, even though Hodgson stunk it up tonight and robbed him and Jack of huge amounts of ball.
Even Sezer put up that **** in round 1.

0 try causes
0 line break causes

that's what we need from Williams.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The Rickman wrote: April 14, 2019, 8:27 pm

Sam 2
Aidan 1
When did Aidan kick one?

Round 1 you drunk.
Izzy hates you.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

PigRickman wrote: April 14, 2019, 8:35 pm
afgtnk wrote: April 14, 2019, 8:34 pm 2 repeat sets
1 try assist
1 field goal

Even Sezer put up that **** in round 1.

0 try causes
0 line break causes

that's what we need from Williams.
Though notice how when the team itself gets fitter and learns to defend like a top 4 side, the impact from the players you play in the halves is significantly minimised?.

If the opposition is able to consistently isolate the halves in your team, to the point where you're judging their quality based on their individual defensive capabilities, it's your team (and its coaching) that's the problem, not the halves themselves.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

I reckon Sam was pretty quiet for the most part and that's why Hodgo was over-playing his hand.

There were a few times Hodgo created a gap in the line and could have gone himself but didn't.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Sam was pretty much catch and pass with a few kicks. Looks like it was all part of the game plan and it worked. The key factor was he didn’t make any defensive errors. Should hold his spot at least another week.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Williams was only OK today. But while we continue to win, I will continue to support him.

Wighton I am having more concerns with at the moment. He just looks so panicked and rushing everything.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Williams had 35 possessions, down a bit but plenty of football. He did well with it imo, he stuck to the plan without the clunkiness of Hodgo. Plus his defense got a pass mark which is what matters for him.