12%
Eels 13+
4%

Total votes: 25

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by -TW- »

The Rickman wrote:Death options?? Good grief, what's going to happen at training next time we lose??
Hunger games
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-TW- wrote: April 10, 2019, 5:18 pm
The Rickman wrote:Death options?? Good grief, what's going to happen at training next time we lose??
Hunger games
You have my attention. Continue.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Parramatta Eels winger Maika Sivo's road to Gundagai ends up in Canberra against Raiders

Maika Sivo. He's the Fijian flyer who slipped through the Canberra Raiders' fingers and now he's looking to help end Parramatta's 13-year drought in the capital. The 25-year-old has links to the Raiders, having played NSW Cup for the Mounties in 2016, but he also has strong roots in Gundagai.

But he's facing a big test against the Raiders - going head-to-head with New Zealand international Jordan Rapana and his centre-partner-in-crime Joey Leilua.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The Rickman wrote: April 10, 2019, 4:04 pm This is a ridiculous discussion. While Sezer and Williams are both fit, ONE of them is going to be on the extended bench for the rest of the season, as they're both in our Top 21. Why is this even a debate??
Have you ever heard of a little team called the ROOSTERS? They've won games this year with only 1 play maker. If the best teams are doing it we should too.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

zim wrote: April 10, 2019, 8:31 pm
The Rickman wrote: April 10, 2019, 4:04 pm This is a ridiculous discussion. While Sezer and Williams are both fit, ONE of them is going to be on the extended bench for the rest of the season, as they're both in our Top 21. Why is this even a debate??
Have you ever heard of a little team called the ROOSTERS? They've won games this year with only 1 play maker. If the best teams are doing it we should too.
How would you rate that 1 play maker compared to ours?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote:
And have they never named any extra playmakers on their extended bench?

Because... y’know... that’s what this discussion is about

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Agree Rickman and due to the team structure with Sticky wanting Jack at 6, there is only room for one of them in the 17.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders forward Ryan Sutton reflects on first month in the NRL

English forward Ryan Sutton is loving his time in the NRL and is hungry for more games as he sets his sights towards the Parramatta Eels on Sunday.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... n-the-nrl/

VIDEO: Junior Paulo looking to get one up on old club: Parramatta Eels prop Junior Paulo will meet his former club the Canberra Raiders in Round Five and is hoping to get one up on the team: https://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2019/ ... -old-club/

VIDEO: Sterlo's Preview | Eels v Raiders, Round Five: https://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2019/ ... ound-five/
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

Maika Sivo is such a gun - is he on Cotric's wing?

If he is, will be such a good test for him. Battle of the young gun wingers. :woot:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I feel like this is the week where everything will finally come together and we'll just play out a good solid win... 26-2
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

pacman wrote: April 11, 2019, 10:36 am Maika Sivo is such a gun - is he on Cotric's wing?

If he is, will be such a good test for him. Battle of the young gun wingers. :woot:
Should be the other way round...
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

pacman wrote: April 11, 2019, 10:36 am Maika Sivo is such a gun - is he on Cotric's wing?

No. I believe Fergie is playing right wing this yr. So its Cotric vs Fergie, hence the Origin article this week.
So Rapa vs Semi... I mean Sivo.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

zim wrote: April 10, 2019, 8:31 pm
How impressive has Keary been Zim. Even with split halves being common we still talk about organising halves and running halves. Keary has normally been regarded as the latter but I don't know whether to credit Robinson or Cronk or just the player himself but these days Keary can play either style to high standards. I know Freddy is making noises about not making changes to the victorious Blues team from 2018 but if Keary keeps playing at this level he is putting an awful amount of pressure on the incumbent halves. And the way he played in the GF puts him further in the frame as a big game player.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders hooker Josh Hodgson expecting plenty of Junior Paulo traffic

It's the first big test of the trimmed-down Canberra Raiders pack. And star hooker Josh Hodgson is expecting Junior Paulo will have him in his sights.

"I'm not so much looking forward to it - I'll enjoy the challenge," he said. "He's a big, skilful kid. He's one of our Meninga Medal winners. He's a great player and we knew we'd miss him when he left because he's a great fella off the field, but there's no mates on the field.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'No mates on the field': Hodgson's warning for Paulo

Canberra co-captain Josh Hodgson knows there won't be any love lost when the Raiders reacquaint themselves with former teammate Junior Paulo on Sunday at GIO Stadium.

"There's no mates on the field, Junior knows that, and he's been playing well but we know we need start quick and see if they can keep up with us."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/11/no- ... for-paulo/

VIDEO: The Parramatta Eels head to the nation's capital seeking their first win at GIO Stadium since 2006. Sam Squiers and Matthew Elliott preview the final match of Round 5: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/11/rai ... --round-5/

NRL Match Preview: Raiders v Eels: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33320

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... rs-v-eels/

Training Gallery: Raiders ready for Eels: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... -for-eels/

VIDEO: Jordan Rapana has highlighted the impact of Raiders Centre Joey Leilua after the pair starred in the green machine's win over the Cowboys in Round 4: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... on-leilua/
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

Matt wrote: April 11, 2019, 11:14 am

No. I believe Fergie is playing right wing this yr. So its Cotric vs Fergie, hence the Origin article this week.
So Rapa vs Semi... I mean Sivo.
Ah okay - still two great match ups! Cannot wait!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart's big Canberra Raiders call: change or stick against Parramatta Eels?

Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker doesn't envy Stuart's decisions as the Green Machine potentially welcome back halfback Aidan Sezer (oblique) for their clash against the Parramatta Eels. There's also the question of how Joe Tapine (thumb) slots back in - on the edge or through the middle?

"I'm not sure [about Sezer]. He's done a lot of the work so far, he's pretty close to being right," Croker said.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Gary gives Coyne back to Canberra Raiders

Not only did he win the Green Machine's very first title, but he was the first to sign up to buy a foundation stone as well. A cool 25 large for the honour of having his family remembered at their spiritual home. He owns eight McDonalds franchises in north Brisbane... so that helps to cover it!

"I purchased a foundation stone I think they call it. Basically as a recognition of my family and their commitment to my career," Coyne said. "Both my kids were born in Canberra."

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: April 11, 2019, 8:03 pm Gary gives Coyne back to Canberra Raiders

Not only did he win the Green Machine's very first title, but he was the first to sign up to buy a foundation stone as well. A cool 25 large for the honour of having his family remembered at their spiritual home. He owns eight McDonalds franchises in north Brisbane... so that helps to cover it!

"I purchased a foundation stone I think they call it. Basically as a recognition of my family and their commitment to my career," Coyne said. "Both my kids were born in Canberra."

I loved Gary Coyne as a player.
A tough, skillfull, wholehearted no nonsense dude.

I was at the SFS the day he scored 4 tries in a semi v Manly.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Sounds like Sezer will be in and Williams out going by the quotes from Sammy.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Peter wrote:Sounds like Sezer will be in and Williams out going by the quotes from Sammy.
That’s not good.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

-PJ- wrote:
greeneyed wrote: April 11, 2019, 8:03 pm Gary gives Coyne back to Canberra Raiders

Very underrated wasn't he PJ?

I loved him too. Did all the tough stuff. Loved the tape around the head!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Peter wrote: April 11, 2019, 8:30 pm Sounds like Sezer will be in and Williams out going by the quotes from Sammy.
Smoooooookescreen SZN, baby!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Peter wrote: April 11, 2019, 8:30 pm Sounds like Sezer will be in and Williams out going by the quotes from Sammy.
It really doesn't bother me either way. The coaching staff have made all the right decisions so far this season, so I'm confident they'll make the right choices for the makeup of the squad and the gameplan they've been training for all off-season.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:

he was the guy in the pack I wanted to be like as a kid playing footy

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The Rickman wrote: April 12, 2019, 9:03 am
It really doesn't bother me either way. The coaching staff have made all the right decisions so far this season, so I'm confident they'll make the right choices for the makeup of the squad and the gameplan they've been training for all off-season.
Man - you are 100% on the bus this year!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Coastalraider wrote: April 12, 2019, 11:15 am
And have been since before a ball was even kicked!

Someone accused me of being on the bandwagon after a good start to the season, I said "mate, I BUILT the wagon!"
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The Rickman wrote: April 12, 2019, 11:30 am
Coastalraider wrote: April 12, 2019, 11:15 am
And have been since before a ball was even kicked!

Someone accused me of being on the bandwagon after a good start to the season, I said "mate, I BUILT the wagon!"
All aboard!

Im giving credit where its due, but they have given me a couple of years of scars for me to get over before Im 100% on board :roflmao
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Like I said in my original post on the topic, I just like the way they've gone about everything during the off-season, from recruitment to the rhetoric, to addressing the biggest glaring issue, defence, and as it turned out, it's translated directly to results on the field. And sure, I copped a lot of crap from guys like dubby and Brew, but where are those posters now??
Last edited by The Nickman on April 12, 2019, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No leaks in Canberra Raiders' ministry of defence

Sia Soliola is the first to admit the side is not yet playing at its potential, but after the first month of the season, the Raiders have passed an important development marker. The Raiders have recorded their best defensive month to start a season since 2000, giving away only 11 points a game.

"If you were comparing this to last year we were 0-4 so we're very happy to go up there (Townsville) in tough conditions and to come away with the result," Soliola said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/12/sta ... g-in-2019/

VIDEO: How well do the Bradford Brothers know each other? Canberra’s Englishmen EllioTt Whitehead and John Bateman reveal just how well the know each other: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/12/how ... ach-other/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: April 12, 2019, 11:40 am No leaks in Canberra Raiders' ministry of defence

Sia Soliola is the first to admit the side is not yet playing at its potential, but after the first month of the season, the Raiders have passed an important development marker. The Raiders have recorded their best defensive month to start a season since 2000, giving away only 11 points a game.

"If you were comparing this to last year we were 0-4 so we're very happy to go up there (Townsville) in tough conditions and to come away with the result," Soliola said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/12/sta ... g-in-2019/

VIDEO: How well do the Bradford Brothers know each other? Canberra’s Englishmen EllioTt Whitehead and John Bateman reveal just how well the know each other: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/12/how ... ach-other/
This is exactly where you want to be. You start the season focussed on defence, and everything else will click as the season wears on.

And when we do get it all together, we're going to absolutely destroy someone (I'm looking in your direction, Parramatta).
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The Rickman wrote: April 12, 2019, 11:40 am Like I said in my original post on the topic, I just like the way they've gone about everything during the off-season, from recruitment to the rhetoric, to addressing the biggest glaring issue, defence, and as it turned out, it's translated directly to results on the field. And sure, I copped a lot of crap from guys like dubby and Brew, but where are those posters now??
Defending Folau posts?
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote: April 12, 2019, 12:31 pm
The Rickman wrote: April 12, 2019, 11:40 am Like I said in my original post on the topic, I just like the way they've gone about everything during the off-season, from recruitment to the rhetoric, to addressing the biggest glaring issue, defence, and as it turned out, it's translated directly to results on the field. And sure, I copped a lot of crap from guys like dubby and Brew, but where are those posters now??
Defending Folau posts?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Well, touche
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I love love love that video of Bateman and Elliott!!! Have watched it and played it a 2nd time not looking at the subtitles! Very funny

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

dubby wrote: April 11, 2019, 9:29 pm
-PJ- wrote:

Very underrated wasn't he PJ?

I loved him too. Did all the tough stuff. Loved the tape around the head!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Yep..he was great.

I can remember a very young Nigel Gaffey replaced an injured BClyde as well.

I had a Woodgers jumper with #37 on it. It was Gaffeys number during the Presidents Cup days before his first grade call up.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: