12%
Eels 13+
4%

Total votes: 25

Finite
David Furner

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Finite »

Good that Ricky is upfont and honest. Horsburgh is a great prospect but with Taps back there just isnt the space for him at the moment. I think the team is good and the best Ricky could have picked. Williams needs to show some better reads in defence this week. Two times he came off his line and miss-read the offence leading to a try. Hopefully he can trust his inside men a bit more. Rushing off the line trying to make a one on one during goal line defence is asking for trouble. Teams these days will pounce on any overlap they see.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Tapine to the front row and Sutton to stay at 13. Keep my man Bateman on the edge.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I’m surprised Horsburgh was dropped before Young

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Me too.
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

I’m not. What does Hors do better than Young?

I love the way Hors plays the game but right now he is a liability. I think if he can clean up a few lazy things in his game will be a fantastic asset to us.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I'm filthy horsburgh has been dropped. Forget the end of the year stick, we need to make the 8 first! If Sezer plays ahead of Williams that'll seriously do me
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I too was surprised when HorsPower was dropped for this week. However we don't know what his physical condition is at present. I thought he may have spent some time in the head bin last week but he didn't go off. I take Sticky at his word that he is looking after his long term future. Now that Hudson Young is in the side I hope he gets more than 7 minutes this week.

I hope Sutton starts. He is a key part of the middle third defence since he was put there. Big and aggressive in D. He has to maintain concentration in attack as his hands have let him down early on.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

no way should tapine be in the front row before sutton, sutton is a front rower and tapine is a backrower with ball skill and a good fend and go
raider 4 life
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I can deal with Horsburg getting dropped. He's had some very good contributions but Tapine is an international and now we get to have a better look at Young for a few weeks and we have an edge player in the bench mix.

We'll see him again.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

He's taken a few knocks the last couple of weeks. It will be good for him to have a break.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

I really did expected Young to be dropped. But it very normal that players in their first year get worn out after 6 or so games. Hors would have set himself for a big preseason so possibly would have been peaking for a while. If this is what Ricky is saying and just a rest happy with this.
For mine Bateman needs to stay at 2nd row to help protect Williams.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

PerthRaider86 wrote: April 9, 2019, 4:15 pm Why the hell is Sezer on the extended bench?
Because if one of our halves does... i dont know, lets go with something crazy, an abductor, on the eve of the game, if we've not named a half on the extended bench, we dont have one to sub in.

But that'll never happen, right?

Wait, it happen literally 2 weeks ago?
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Yeah not sure about those selections, I'd have Sutton 10, Bateman 13 and Tapine 11. That's our best starting pack I'm sure
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Teams and Previews

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: April 9, 2019, 5:49 pm The moment Canberra Raiders rookie Hudson Young's career changed

Raiders forward Hudson Young tested positive for a banned substance as a 16-year-old and was forced to spend 18 months on the sidelines. He thought a store-bought supplement couldn't contain any banned substances.

"It hurt at the start, but I just had to put my hand up and own my mistake," Young said. "I just had to keep hold of the hope that one day I could play NRL. I always thought if I stuck to it I could do it. I had a lot of people around supporting me to get me to where I am today. My family supported me.

Red more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
By the way, I thought it extraordinary that one in five supplements that can be bought across the counter contain WADA banned substances!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

How many are you on GE?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
greeneyed wrote: April 9, 2019, 5:49 pm The moment Canberra Raiders rookie Hudson Young's career changed

Raiders forward Hudson Young tested positive for a banned substance as a 16-year-old and was forced to spend 18 months on the sidelines. He thought a store-bought supplement couldn't contain any banned substances.

"It hurt at the start, but I just had to put my hand up and own my mistake," Young said. "I just had to keep hold of the hope that one day I could play NRL. I always thought if I stuck to it I could do it. I had a lot of people around supporting me to get me to where I am today. My family supported me.

By the way, I thought it extraordinary that one in five supplements that can be bought across the counter contain WADA banned substances!
I'm surprised you're going so easy on a convicted drug cheat here GE. Little out of character for you.

But in all seriousness I don't know why any 16 year old child should be taking any supplement of any kind.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: April 9, 2019, 9:15 pm

Caffeine is a bannable substance above certain levels...

Pseudo-ephedrine used to be in most cold /flu tablets but now slightly more strictly policed... Samantha Riley was considered hard done by by Oz public for it but Maradonna was rubbed out forever for the same offence...

Just a couple to bring up that are seemingly everyday.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by kona_dream »

BadnMean wrote: April 9, 2019, 10:26 pm
greeneyed wrote: April 9, 2019, 9:15 pm

Caffeine is a bannable substance above certain levels...

Pseudo-ephedrine used to be in most cold /flu tablets but now slightly more strictly policed... Samantha Riley was considered hard done by by Oz public for it but Maradonna was rubbed out forever for the same offence...

Just a couple to bring up that are seemingly everyday.
Caffeine is not a banned substance under WADA, it hasn’t been for many years. It is under the monitoring program.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Canberra Milk wrote:Yeah not sure about those selections, I'd have Sutton 10, Bateman 13 and Tapine 11. That's our best starting pack I'm sure
I won’t be surprised if this is a late change on game day
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sid wrote: April 10, 2019, 5:53 am
Canberra Milk wrote:Yeah not sure about those selections, I'd have Sutton 10, Bateman 13 and Tapine 11. That's our best starting pack I'm sure
It’s a must.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

I think it's fine to bring Tapine back off the bench. He doesn't even have to come on at front row. You could say push him to lock (or shuffle Bateman there and put Tarps at 2nd row) after 20min. Give Sutton a 10min break and then throw him back on at 30min to spell Papa.

Plenty of ways to work it really and we can use it to inject an attacking weapon into wherever they look vulnerable, fresh against some tiring bodies. Also serves as a reward for good performances from Sutton, letting him keep his starting spot an extra week.

Hope our game plan this week is simple. Exploit the middle and poor lateral movement, use that to get a quick play the ball and isolate moses. He defends on their left doesn't he? So should see Tapine/Bateman and Leipana run amok.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

KingDynamite wrote: April 9, 2019, 6:54 pm I’m not. What does Hors do better than Young?
Pretty much everything as a bench forward from what I’ve seen.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

If we are dropping horsburgh for Tapine, then it tends to look like we'll play Tapine in the middle. Happy with that.
Our forwards have done their job, Bateman doing well on the edge. Bring Tapine off the bench into the middle. Ease him back. Get great impact off the bench. Let him tell us how much he wants that starting spot back. Hoepfully then answer is immediately.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

PigRickman wrote: April 9, 2019, 8:38 pm
PerthRaider86 wrote: April 9, 2019, 4:15 pm Why the hell is Sezer on the extended bench?
Because if one of our halves does... i dont know, lets go with something crazy, an abductor, on the eve of the game, if we've not named a half on the extended bench, we dont have one to sub in.

In simpler terms. Sezer is on the extended bench for exactly same reason Sam was previously.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I like the team a lot. Personally I would've dropped Horsburgh too, but I don't have the same fascination in him that many of you do.

I hope he rolls his sleeves up and goes back to Mounties and proves me wrong, but from what I've seen in the first four rounds, he's not even close to my best 17.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: April 10, 2019, 7:26 am
Sid wrote: April 10, 2019, 5:53 am
It’s a must.
I'm thinking we will see this on game day. Either this, or the same but with Tapine and Bateman switched.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart previews Eels clash

Raiders Coach Ricky Stuart admits that his side still have plenty of improvement in them as they prepare to face an in-form Parramatta Eels side at GIO Stadium this Sunday.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... els-clash/

Behind the Limelight: John Bateman and Steve Jackson: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... -jackson2/

Game Day Guide: Raiders v Eels: This week’s Viking Ambassador is Raider #57 Matthew Corkery: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... rs-v-eels/

Will Nick Cotric and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad break through for their rep debuts in 2019? https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/10/rep ... k-through/
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Beejay wrote: April 10, 2019, 9:26 am If we are dropping horsburgh for Tapine, then it tends to look like we'll play Tapine in the middle. Happy with that.
Our forwards have done their job, Bateman doing well on the edge. Bring Tapine off the bench into the middle. Ease him back. Get great impact off the bench. Let him tell us how much he wants that starting spot back. Hoepfully then answer is immediately.
Happy with that.

Main reason I would be playing Tarps in the middle is to keep Bateman paired with Sammy. Im happier with Bateman acting as wingman, as I think he is a bit smarter in defence that Tarps, and Sammy needs a quality bodyguard. While in isolation there is an argument for shifting Bateman back to the middle and Tarps to the edge, I think the balance of the squad is better as is.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Northern Raider wrote: April 10, 2019, 9:43 am

In simpler terms. Sezer is on the extended bench for exactly same reason Sam was previously.
The difference i see in that is that they knew sezer was injured and had to pass a fitness test.......

Plus im sure hodgson could play 6 with havili coming into the 9
Perth Based Raiders Fan
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Sezer thing could also be an ego type situation where coach doesn't want to play him in NSW cup.... I'm not sure if he will play for Mounties just spitballing.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

PerthRaider86 wrote: April 10, 2019, 3:08 pm
Northern Raider wrote: April 10, 2019, 9:43 am

The difference i see in that is that they knew sezer was injured and had to pass a fitness test.......

Plus im sure hodgson could play 6 with havili coming into the 9
So why was Williams on the extended bench in the early rounds if we had Hodgson who could play in the halves if somebody got hurt?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

This is a ridiculous discussion. While Sezer and Williams are both fit, ONE of them is going to be on the extended bench for the rest of the season, as they're both in our Top 21. Why is this even a debate??
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by kona_dream »

Gee Oldfield's injury is taking a long time to heal. Hopefully he is back soon to provide some death options in the back line in case of injury.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Death options?? Good grief, what's going to happen at training next time we lose??
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Rickman wrote:Death options?? Good grief, what's going to happen at training next time we lose??
Maybe Ricky is teaching BJ the 1-on-1 strip at training?