Post by greeneyed »

2019 Rd 4 V Cowboys: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V North Queensland Cowboys
Saturday 6 April 5:30pm AEDT 4:30pm local
Townsville Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Partly cloudy. Partly cloudy. Slight chance of a shower. Light winds becoming east to southeasterly 20 to 30 km/h in the morning then becoming light in the evening. Chance of any rain: 30 per cent. Possible rainfall: 0 to 1 mm Min 22 Max 31

Round 3 2019. Canberra Raiders 17 - Newcastle Knights 10. It was another test for a developing Canberra Raiders team, and it was a very good "pass" mark. If anything, the final scoreline flattered the Knights. Canberra's performance was clearly the better for much of the night. It was not perfect. The error count was higher than you'd like to see. There were still some problems on the left edge in defence. But it was another match played in some difficult conditions, with rain lashing the ground for part of the second half. And when the Knights came back late, the Raiders showed some good game management, icing the game with a field goal. It was just the Raiders third win since 2007 when they have scored less than 18 points.

More on Round 3: As I saw it

The Raiders now have their best start to a season since 2016, when they also won two of their opening three matches. They are the only two seasons in the past decade when the Raiders have posted a 2 and 1 start.

In Round 4, the Raiders are back on the "road", heading to Townsville for a clash with the North Queensland Cowboys. Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has named the same starting team that defeated the Newcastle Knights. Joe Tapine (thumb) was the only addition to the squad of 21, but was ruled out on Wednesday, before the squad heads north.

The Cowboys have named an unchanged 21-man squad for the match. Te Maire Martin remains at fullback, with Michael Morgan and Jake Clifford continuing in the halves. Josh McGuire remains at lock, with Jason Taumalolo (knee) still on the injured list.

Late changes: The Raiders dropped JJ Collins out of their squad on Friday evening, leaving Bailey Simonsson and Jack Murchie on the extended bench. Joe Tapine was ruled out earlier in the week. The Cowboys have omitted Peter Hola and Enari Tuala from their squad of 21.

Milestone: Raiders winger Jordan Rapana will play his 100th NRL match on Saturday and his 95th for the Raiders, having played five games for the Gold Coast Titans in his debut season.

History: The Raiders have won 23 of 41 matches against the North Queensland Cowboys. However, 14 of those wins came in the Cowboys' first decade in competition. In the most recent decade, the Raiders have won seven matches between the clubs, the Cowboys 11. The Raiders won both matches in 2018. In Round 8, the Raiders produced their first win in Townsville since 2006, the 18-8 victory breaking a nine game losing streak in the far north. Canberra backed it up in Round 18, with the Raiders defeating the Cowboys 38-12 at Canberra Stadium.

2018 Round 18: Canberra Raiders V North Queensland Cowboys

2018 Round 8: Canberra Raiders V North Queensland Cowboys

Form: Raiders: WLWLW
Cowboys: WWWLL

The North Queensland Cowboys are on a two game losing streak, after opening the season with a 24-12 win over the Dragons. Last week, the Cowboys collapsed in the second half, suffering a big 42-16 loss at home to the Cronulla Sharks.

Betting: Unusually, neither team is favoured, both teams paying $1.90 for a win. The Raiders have been given a 1.5 points start in the line betting.

Stat attack: After three rounds, the Raiders are placed fifth and the Cowboys are placed 13th - but the Raiders have won just one more game than the Cowboys. There is not a lot of difference between the teams so far in attack. Both teams are averaging around 16 points per match. They sit mid table for average tries scored per game (Cowboys 3.5, Raiders 2.5). However, the Cowboys have conceded an average of 28 points per game, while the Raiders have conceded an average of 11 points. We're just three games into the season, but the Raiders have the second best defence in the competition, behind the Storm.

The Cowboys have posted a slightly better completion rate (76 per cent, Raiders 73 per cent), but both teams are averaging 11 errors per game. The Cowboys have been more disciplined than the Raiders, conceding an average of just four penalties per match (Raiders seven). However, the Raiders are more effectively controlling possession this season. The Raiders have averaged 54 per cent of the ball so far in 2019, the equal highest in the league with the Wests Tigers (Cowboys 51 per cent).

There is very little difference between the teams in terms of average sets (Cowboys 31, Raiders 30), runs (Cowboys 181, Raiders 170) and running metres (Cowboys 1504, Raiders 1493). No team has made more dummy half runs than the Raiders (54, Cowboys 46) - with the likes of Josh Hodgson, Jordan Rapana, Jack Wighton and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad testing the opposition defences. The Raiders rank first in the league for post contact metres (1463), with Jordan Rapana, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad leading the way in that department. The Cowboys are not far behind, ranking third (1437). Josh McGuire is the danger man there. The Raiders rank third for tackle breaks in the NRL (108) well in excess of the last ranked Cowboys (61). New Raiders recruits Charzne Nicoll-Klokstad (20) and John Bateman (18) are in the top three players in the NRL for tackle busts.

Both teams average three line breaks per game, while the Cowboys offload more (12 per game, Raiders 9 per game). The Raiders make more kicking metres (582 per match, Cowboys 473) from an identical 21 kicks per game.

In defence, the Raiders have missed an average of 30 tackles per game, the Cowboys 34. The Raiders have a fairly good tackle efficiency rate at 88.4 per cent, compared with 86.8 per cent for the Cowboys.

Our tip: The Cowboys were poor in their last outing, very poor, and their pride will have been bruised. They will be very keen to bounce back this week. It'll be a very tough encounter for the Raiders on foreign turf. It is the Cowboys' first season without Johnathan Thurston - a player who has caused so much pain for the Raiders in the past decade or so. But they are also without another JT - Jason Taumalolo - at present, and the Cowboys are seriously missing his contribution with the ball in hand. He's typically run riot against the Raiders in the past, clocking up big, big metres. Of course, he does that most weeks.

The Raiders are also injury affected in the forwards, with Joe Tapine (thumb) on the sidelines. But the Green Machine have their own (almost) 200 metre man now, in John Bateman. The Raiders newly mobile forward pack got on top of the opposition in both their wins, and it'll be crucial that they do that again in this clash. If they do, they should allow the Raiders to take advantage of the Cowboys' leaky defence - through the likes of Bateman, Nicoll-Klokstad and "Leipana". Despite Canberra's poor record in Townsville, I think they can do the job. Raiders by six.

What they're saying:

Coach Ricky Stuart on the Cowboys: "They'll be a lot better this week, it's probably not the time to get them in regards to their last outing. I know (Cowboys coach) Paul Green will have them very much turned around and have a different mindset so it's going to be a tough game, but we always have tough games up there."

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Siliva Havili
15. Hudson Young
16. Sia Soliola
17. Corey Horsburgh

19. Jack Murchie
20. Bailey Simonsson

Injury/Suspension
Aidan Sezer (Oblique) Round 5-6
Michael Oldfield (Groin) Round 5-6

North Queensland Cowboys

1. Te Maire Martin
2. Nene Macdonald
3. Jordan Kahu
4. Ben Hampton
5. Javid Bowen
6. Jake Clifford
7. Michael Morgan (C)
8. Matt Scott
9. Jake Granville
10. Jordan McLean
11. Gavin Cooper
12. Coen Hess
13. Josh McGuire

14. John Asiata
15. Corey Jensen
16. Mitch Dunn
17. Francis Molo

18. Shane Wright
19. Justin O’Neill

Officials:

Referees: Dave Munro, Gavin Badger
Sideline Officials: Mark Bohan, Michael Wise
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLCowboysRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2019 #FromAllAngles

Mounties NSW Cup team: Click here

Jersey Flegg team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Rd 4 V Cowboys: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Game Day preview updated: Joe Tapine officially ruled out: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33312&p=1647893#p1647893
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

They're going to find it hot at 430. Why would the NRL schedule an afternoon game in Townsville early in the season?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yes very strange decision. It was the same time last week too.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

gergreg wrote: April 4, 2019, 6:38 am Yes very strange decision. It was the same time last week too.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Not strange at all, its the NRL
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Game day preview updated for latest squads, weather, betting: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33312&p=1647893#p1647893
Green thumbs
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Green thumbs »

The prediction for 5pm tomorrow in Townsville is 29 deg and 65% humidity. Raiders could struggle to keep up the intensity for 80 minutes in those conditions. A cruel time/location for a game. I hate the NRL for their thoughtless programming!
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!!! Go the Raiders!!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

3 from 4 please.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Last week there was drinks break at 20min mark and also halftime was extended. I didnt see another break in the 2nd half but from memory there was a try around the 20min mark.

Good luck to the boys , it is going to be tough conditions.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Game Day! Lets rope these xxxxxx in!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, big match for us. The conditions will be horrible, but with Lolo out for the Cows we really need to hold our own in the battle of the middle. Huge game for Papa and Bateman to show their value. Hopefully Whitehead and Lui come to the party.

Containing Hess and Cooper are a big factor for us. If we let Morgan dictate the game like we used to let Thurston do, those two blokes could have a field day. If we keep it tight on the edges and have decent linespeed in defence, hopefully our backline can get over the top of theirs, as that's where we have the big advantage. Seriously, their 1-6 lineup is a dumpster fire.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Cowboys are trash...If we show up we will get the 2 points.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

We always play lethargic, exhausted in tropical North Queensland. Unlucky to have to play there early in the season.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I don’t know much about the weather down there but I’m sure there will be teams from a warmer climate that will have to play in Canberra at night in the winter?

Can only use the humidity as an excuse if you go out and win those winter games

Much like using a 5 day turnaround as an excuse. No doubt it has a big effect, but we must then go out and beat those teams that have a 5 day turnaround against us
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

My crystal ball says...Raiders by 4
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Really nice breeze at the ground, and overcast

Should be nice to play in

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Teams and Previews

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of the Canberra Raiders clash with the North Queensland Cowboys. Canberra Raiders are 1-17. Final team lists:

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Siliva Havili
15. Hudson Young
16. Sia Soliola
17. Corey Horsburgh

North Queensland Cowboys

1. Te Maire Martin
2. Nene Macdonald
3. Jordan Kahu
4. Ben Hampton
5. Javid Bowen
6. Jake Clifford
7. Michael Morgan (C)
8. Matt Scott
9. Jake Granville
10. Jordan McLean
11. Gavin Cooper
12. Coen Hess
13. Josh McGuire

14. John Asiata
15. Corey Jensen
16. Mitch Dunn
17. Francis Molo
The Greenhouse score update service
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Wrong thread GE Image

Vaccinated
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Jacky Boy is in for a big one today
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Ennis interviewing Ricky “Ricky you’ve won 2 out of 3..” surely he should be saying “We’ve won 2 out of 3..” Isn’t he supposed to be on our coaching team?
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Billy Walker wrote:Ennis interviewing Ricky “Ricky you’ve won 2 out of 3..” surely he should be saying “We’ve won 2 out of 3..” Isn’t he supposed to be on our coaching team?
He has to be " non biased" otherwise he loses the fox gig

Im sure he has been in the sheds reving up the boys

Vaccinated
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Im so confused

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

2 cases of Melbourne Bitter and 2 bottles of whiskey. The ball is in your court now, Raiders.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Melbourne Bitter? No!!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Good to see Cat!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Papalii with a Catholic prayer....LEGEND.
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Okay. She-boyz, time for the Raiders to make or break our Weekend.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

I have seen the boys look more focused and energetic during warm up.......

Vaccinated
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Raiders kick off... we are underway!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Raps looks like a drug smuggler in a B grade movie with that mo
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Where’s the penalty! BJ was held back
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Billy Walker wrote: April 6, 2019, 4:33 pm Raps looks like a drug smuggler in a B grade movie with that mo
Was thinking the same thing.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

I was scared Feldt might return this week because J Bowen is so trash

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

3rd min Big opportunity for Jordan Rapana, but couldn't get the pass away to Leilua on the last tackle. Now the Cowboys produce an error in their red zone!