New recruits

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: New recruits

Post by BadnMean »

BadnMean wrote: April 2, 2019, 11:16 pm Whitehead: rewatch the game when we are defending a 3rd consecutive set in the 2nd half after a bunch of dropped ball and daft penalties. Newcastle are 1 try away from robbing the game. Then try and tell me me has done nothing.

A certain E. Whitehead leads the set and we contain fairly comfortably. Probably gets lost amongst the stats as just 2 more tackles amid his usual 25-35... but not everything that counts can be counted.

He's not set the world on fire but he's still the same player. If everyone fired at once we'd beat everyone by 40. He'll keep being himself and being a very, very good player whether he seems to be "doing anything" or not. He's a good player who had a bad case of the drops one game. Since then, business as usual.

The rest: going pretty good !
I'm just gonna quote myself here because he did just the same clutch plays but even more clutch. This time he robs the ball, leads down the field and we ice the game. He's a player alright. There was a post or two on here saying he's on the wane, getting old. He's got brains enough to stay relevant and adapt. Plus he's what, in his prime? Let the man march.

Plus he's transformed into Ragnar Lothrook :roflmao
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

EJ wrote: April 6, 2019, 8:05 pm Sutton is a different body type in our pack. He finds his front quickly in tackle and gets fast play the balls. Does a lot of good defensive work. I'm really warming to him a lot.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Yep. He was worth his spot today and has been on an upward curve. Looks a solid FG'er and with youth and NRL adjustment may end up really good too.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

He was very good tonight. Very strong and gutsy effort.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Sutton has been a really pleasing surprise so far. I knew nothing of him before we signed him so was just hoping he was good enough to make our 17. He has really stepped up since starting and I am sure he will continue to grow in whatever role he is required.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

How the hell did we end up with with CNK so close to Round 1? Such a fantastic signing.

I mean, yeah, he's far from the flashiest of fullbacks, but he's just effective. Efficient. The shortest point between A and B is a straight line. That's CNK. He runs hard with his cannonball body and urgency is his top priority. Yet he's safe as a bank. He's a terminator. When it looked like he was injured tonight, that was just his liquid metal taking a few seconds to reconstitute. Get 'im up 'ere.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

No mistakes and great positioning are huge positives too. The rest of the stuff can come later. You wouldn't believe he can improve his involvement based on his stats but it's going to happen as he gets more game time back there. He hasn't peaked yet.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Yeah he's going good. Hard to stop is the Clock.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

CNK staying down was the scariest point of the match.

Him, Hodgson, Papa and Bateman are trickiest to replace at this stage. Don’t want an injury to those 4.
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

There was one moment last night where CNK was involved in a front line tackle as Eels were getting a roll on. As soon as the Eels player hit the ground he let go and absolutely bolted back to position and swing to the left.

He's a good un!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Very positive interview with CNK prior to SHARKS v Panthers game on ABC radio. Made the valid point that although the side is going well "we've won nothing yet". Proud Cook Islander and very disappointed in their world ranking of 44 given the number of NRL players in the ranks. He came across as a very positive and sincere young man.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Butters wrote: April 15, 2019, 8:02 am There was one moment last night where CNK was involved in a front line tackle as Eels were getting a roll on. As soon as the Eels player hit the ground he let go and absolutely bolted back to position and swing to the left.

He's a good un!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Yeah, I distinctly remember that too. It's happened a few times this season.

He works hard, runs hard and has a great feel for what the opposition is doing. Credit to both him and McFadden for what he has shown the comp this season. We got kicked in the **** by a rainbow with this pickup