Cowboys 13+
6%

Total votes: 18

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: 2019 Rd 4 V Cowboys: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Bateman is playing quality football. He should offer to go to the Super League. He'll be starting 17 every week in Super League and probably a starter at some clubs.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders prepared for Townsville with Titanic weather

No need to dunk balls in water or wear beanies at training. A gruelling summer and the opening three rounds of the NRL season have already prepared the Canberra Raiders for the conditions they'll face in Townsville.

"It's still going to be pretty warm and humid ... it's always a greasy, slippery game up there," co-captain Jarrod Croker said. "That's the sort of game where you've just got to complete your sets. It sounds very boring, but complete your sets and kick to the corner."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 51ahn.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Huawei and the Canberra Raiders support Townsville flood appeal

Townsville locals still doing it tough from the recent floods received a welcome boost today when Canberra Raiders head coach, Ricky Stuart and players witnessed the presentation by their major sponsor Huawei of a donation for $10,000 to the Queensland Flood Appeal.

The group visited Thuringowa State High School – a Clontarf Academy, where Huawei Corporate Affairs Director, Jeremy Mitchell presented a cheque to Townsville City Councillor, Maurie Soars.

“The floods were destructive and incredibly disruptive. People are still trying to put their lives, homes, businesses and farms back together after the disaster,” Mr Mitchell said.

“With the Raiders’ support, we are delighted we can help. Adversity brings out the best in people and Townsville showed that to all Australian’s during the floods. We are honored to be in a position to help with this donation. We are also pleased to have the Raiders here to see firsthand the hard work the people of Townsville have done over the past few weeks to get life back to normal, especially for the Clontarf Academy staff and students who we partner with nationally.”

Ricky Stuart praised the efforts of the community to come together during this difficult time.

“The care and support the community has shown for each other was inspiring and a great example of the human spirit. It’s at the toughest times you find out who your mates are, who you are and what you’re made of. We all saw what Townsville is made of,” he said.

Ricky encouraged the students to support each other through their learning journey at the Academy and as future leaders be responsible for their actions and focus on their goals.

“It’s great to see the Clontarf boys’ joy and enthusiasm for Rugby League. Sport, especially NRL, is helping them focus on their education and the results here at the Clontarf Academy are heartening - the boys should be really proud of themselves.

“I want to thank Huawei for their donation to the appeal and ongoing support for organisations like Clontarf. It makes us proud as a football team to have our major sponsor be more than just a logo on the jersey. They are genuine in their grassroots work and today’s event highlights their commitment to community groups,” he said.

Clontarf Academy Regional Manager Townsville, Nathan Perrin said the students were thrilled to see their NRL heroes.

“Many school families are doing it tough and the visit by the NRL stars is a great boost,” he said.

Thuringowa State High School Principal, Grant Dale praised Clontarf Academy staff and thanked Huawei for their ongoing commitment to Indigenous education.

“Having Clontarf at Thuringowa means we have a dedicated team working with our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander male students to improve the lives and employment prospects of these young men,” he said.

“Without the support of companies like Huawei, the Foundation would not be able to continue to educate and nurture indigenous kids.”

Cr Soars said the Townsville Community has been overwhelmed by the support and thanked Huawei for its contribution to the plight.

The Canberra Raiders are in Townsville ahead of their game against the North Queensland Cowboys. Huawei will provide 20 family passes to the school for the Cowboys v Raiders game on Saturday 6 April at 1300Smiles Stadium.

Donations to the Queensland Flooding Appeal can be made here: http://givit.org.au/disasters

Canberra Raiders media
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders reduce squad to 19 for tomorrow's match against the Cowboys

Joe Tapine was ruled out earlier in the week with his thumb injury and JJ Collins has also been cut from the extended squad.

Jack Murchie and Bailey Simonsson remain in the 19 man squad.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... v-cowboys/
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

Billy Walker wrote: April 4, 2019, 12:34 pm
Elcaptcroker wrote: April 3, 2019, 7:12 pm Reading other teams forum, always makes me laugh when i see their supporters always single out croker for his bad defencd, goes to show how little they really take notice of our team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If everyone you meet tells you that you are smelly, do you laugh and wonder how everyone else can have such a broken sense of smell?
I understand what you said Billy.

I thought it was quiet clever - certainly didn't go over my head mate :clap:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart backs referee on-field action against late hits

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart backs sin bins and sending offs for late shots like Tevita Pangai Jr's on Cooper Cronk - if the attacking team is disadvantaged. Stuart also said the Raiders would line up 1-17 after their captain's run in Townsville on Friday.

"Illegal foul play needs to be dealt with immediately on the field," he said. "If your opposition is put at a disadvantage it has to be dealt with immediately."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 51b3z.html
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2019 Rd 4 V Cowboys: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by LastRaider »

Our team is very guilty of this over the past 3 years. I hope Ricky practices what he preaches

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

our halves have copped just as much but with barely penalties let alone suspensions so
raider 4 life
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

There was a 300% Cronk loading.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart interview on ABC Canberra Grandstand:

We’ve prepared well, no problems with the bags this week, just a little delay with our flight in Canberra. Had a good captain’s run yesterday.

We haven’t achieved anything yet, won a couple of games, just need to keep improving, improve each training day, make small steps, improve every game.

A settled side gets you to the back half of the season, we’ve lost Aidan Sezer and Joe Tapine... big losses, but players like Sam Williams and Hudson Young came in. We’re settled in that our team is the same as last week. Good for our depth, Young had a good debut. Won’t risk injured players.

Cowboys will be out to repair their reputation, their leaders will be the ones to watch. A big loss for them in Taumalolo, but they have experienced players in Cooper and Hess. Our focus needs to be on ourselves and our preparation and not worrying too much about the opposition.

The other part of my job I enjoy is helping other people. We visited a school, yesterday, great to see their work with Indigenous boys. Jack Murchie and I went to visit them, hopefully helps make a difference. Our sponsor Huawei also made a wonderful donation to the Townsville community yesterday to help flood victims.

Travel, we travel pretty well. I try to stay away from the players a bit, let them have their own time, make them feel like they are at home. I like to try and make sure they don’t get sick and tired of me.

You can listen to a podcast of the interview later this afternoon: https://www.abc.net.au/radio/canberra/p ... d/10933744 (around 10-15 min mark)
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Finchy wrote:
TongueFTW wrote: April 5, 2019, 6:47 am
zim wrote: April 4, 2019, 10:47 pm
Finchy wrote: April 3, 2019, 11:14 am Is anyone else happy that previous mainstay Luke Bateman isn't even getting named in the extended squad? It's like Ricky has finally realised what we all knew - he's just not very good. Took him a while to do the same thing to fan-favourite Fensom, but look how that turned out.
On the other side of this coin Bateman's performances for Mounties would have him on other team's radar for signings.
He looks too good for reserve grade but we are definitely on the up with Horsburgh and Sutton getting the nod.
He's one of those players that looks like a world beater in reserve grade, but gets dominated in firsts. I definitely remember being excited as Bateman came through the ranks (and wanted him to replace Fensom) - but he has been a pretty consistent disappointment at first grade level. Mistakes, penalties, crucial missed tackles, and slow play the balls.
TBH I was happy when he replaced Fensom initially. I always thought Fensom was overrated, with many saying he should be playing for NSW. He was a tackling machine, yes, but as someone said previously (maybe Gus?) if you're making 60 tackles a game you're not hurting anybody, and the opposition are happy to run at you.

Other than that I found he was an ineffective attacker, often doing the "crash ball" run like a prop, and getting thoroughly dominated due to being so small and light. How often was he on the receiving end of a big hit when the Raiders featured in "Big Hit of Year videos"? It was nearly always him!

His frequent errors and penalties made him a real liability. Then Luke Bateman takes his spot, and even though was also a small forward, he ran with such enthusiasm, had safe hands, and didn't give away silly penalties. He was like a better version of Fensom.

But since his first year in first grade, his game a has regressed to the point he seems to have little positive impact on the team's performance. Now he's become the "Fensom", with players like Horsburgh and Young providing more impact and enthusiasm,and not getting dominated by bigger opposition forwards.

Fensom is barely good enough to crack first grade these days, and makes no impact when he does. Whilst I don't think opposition teams are paying much attention to the Mounties looking to poach players, I do think Luke Bateman will end up like Fensom. He'll go to another club, play the occasional first grade game as a fill in, and float in and out of reserve grade. He's just too small and one dimensional.
Good post, I fully agree.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.