Cowboys 13+
6%

Total votes: 18

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Rd 4 V Cowboys: Teams and Previews

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders half Sam Williams looking to continue strong form

Raiders halfback Sam Williams is looking to continue on from his impressive display on Friday against the Newcastle Knights and is ready to prepare himself as best as possible if called upon for the match in Townsville.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... rong-form/
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

PigRickman wrote: March 31, 2019, 7:28 pm Sezer has proven that he's not good enough to warrant changing a winning side for him. But the reality is neither of these guys are the answer and the club knows it, which is George is coming. Fingers crossed he delivered like the other english imports have.
This is about all that needs to be said. If we've got two players and neither is demanding selection then the incumbent gets it until the other bloke does enough to demand it. At the very least having that competition might serve as a warning to other players.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

gangrenous wrote: April 2, 2019, 7:05 am
RedRaider wrote:
gangrenous wrote: April 1, 2019, 6:59 am There is no head on shot that clearly shows downward pressure on the ball. I took the screen caps and they’re in the through green eyes thread. If you saw downward pressure there I suspect you were also viewing through green eyes.
Gangers, The second of your screen shots is the one they were showing on the Fox telecast. As Rickman said, the play went up to the video ref as a try and then they showed that still. We have seen such evidence given as a try many times before. Once the video ref has made his decision as 'no try' though, then that's the end of it. Nothing will change the decision. We saw that in the debacle decisions when we played Cronulla last year. I thought it was a 'no try' on first viewing and rated it as 'nearly a try' for Sam, the point being it was a good chase by Sam which just didn't come off due to the grounding.
I got all the screen caps from the Fox footage. You’ve just latched onto the one that vaguely supports your narrative in isolation.

We have seen those awarded before (this very weekend). But that doesn’t make it right. By the rules those other decisions are wrong.
Gangers my narrative was that it was a 'no try'. When Fox were showing the replays they showed the still shot. I was not surprised in the least when it came back as a 'no try'. In every case I want the officials to ref to the rules of 2019.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Why do people seem to enjoy the Sezer v Williams thing and love turning it in to Sezer v Williams? I've been critical of Sezer in the past and am certainly not his biggest fan but that doesn't mean I adore Sam Williams. Neither are keeping the opposition coach awake in fits of terror at night are they. There are things Williams does better than Sezer and vice versa. At the end of the day I don't think there's much between the 2.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL Team: Raiders V Cowboys

Canberra Raiders V North Queensland Cowboys
Saturday 6 April 5:30pm AEDT 4:30pm local
Townsville Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3

The Canberra Raiders have named their side for Saturday night’s match against the North Queensland Cowboys at 1300 Smiles Stadium.

Sam Williams retains his position at halfback, with Aidan Sezer ruled out for at least one more match with an oblique injury.

In some good news for the Raiders Joe Tapine has been named in the extended squad, with the international forward to be assessed before the team departs for Townsville to determine if he will play on Saturday.

Tapine’s inclusion is the only change to the squad which defeated the Knights in round three.

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Siliva Havili
15. Hudson Young
16. Sia Soliola
17. Corey Horsburgh

18. Joe Tapine
19. Jack Murchie
20. Bailey Simonsson
21. JJ Collins

Injury/Suspension
Aidan Sezer (Oblique) Round 5-6
Michael Oldfield (Groin) Round 5-6

North Queensland Cowboys

1. Te Maire Martin
2. Nene Macdonald
3. Jordan Kahu
4. Ben Hampton
5. Javid Bowen
6. Jake Clifford
7. Michael Morgan (C)
8. Matt Scott
9. Jake Granville
10. Jordan McLean
11. Gavin Cooper
12. Coen Hess
13. Josh McGuire

14. John Asiata
15. Corey Jensen
16. Mitch Dunn
17. Francis Molo

18. Shane Wright
19. Justin O’Neill
20. Peter Hola
21. Enari Tuala

Canberra Raiders media

Officials:

Referees: Dave Munro, Gavin Badger
Sideline Officials: Mark Bohan, Michael Wise
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLCowboysRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2019 #FromAllAngles

Mounties NSW Cup team: Click here

Jersey Flegg team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Does anyone know which day Teamlist Tuesday is out this week?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart wary of spurned North Queensland

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart is preparing his side for a North Queensland ambush this weekend in the wake of the Cowboys' second-half collapse in round three. He says he won't play injured Aidan Sezer or Joe Tapine if they're not fully fit.

"They'll be a lot better this week, it's probably not the time to get them in regards to their last outing," Stuart said. "I know (Cowboys coach) Paul Green will have them very much turned around and have a different mindset so it's going to be a tough game, but we always have tough games up there."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/02/ric ... ueensland/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Well said, Stick. We need to be on our game up there in Townsville, but if we are, and if we do the hard stuff well, we'll win.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

BadnMean wrote:
LastRaider wrote: April 1, 2019, 3:34 pm 1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. BJ
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Sutton
9. Hodgson
10. Papilii
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. Bateman

14. Sololia
15. Guler
16. Horsburgh
17. Young

Line speed although has improved still needs to be faster so I think it’s time to carry 4 forwards on the bench and rotate them more. This includes Whitehead and Tapine as they are struggling to move up in the last 15 minutes of the game I have noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Why does Guler deserve a run over Havilii who has been good and means we can cover edge/middle/hooker/half injuries (he or Hodgo to half)? EDIT: yeah someone just said that.

I loved Bateman on the edge too but not sure where he is nest yet, or if it even matters. Him on an edge means we have big unit Tapine in the middle as a real danger prop.
I see Havilii’s value, but I would like to see another genuine front rower on the bench and have a high bench rotation to keep the line speed up. In Havilii I’m not seeing him get up as fast as I would like for someone he is smaller and agile

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

BadnMean wrote:
LastRaider wrote: April 1, 2019, 3:45 pm
Willians does deserve to be in the side this week but I don’t think fans are forgetting the state of affairs. We have a journey man now as our first choice no. 7

Sometimes they have their time in the sun. Colin Best was a journeyman who played a season for the ages here. Shifcoske was in the same boat when he came and played the house down a few years. Jason Smith had an Indian summer here. Paul Osbourne was the very definition of a journeyman. Sometimes, they learn a bit along the journey and get the job done.
Good point

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

LastRaider wrote: April 2, 2019, 2:26 pm
BadnMean wrote:
LastRaider wrote: April 1, 2019, 3:34 pm 1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. BJ
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Sutton
9. Hodgson
10. Papilii
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. Bateman

14. Sololia
15. Guler
16. Horsburgh
17. Young

Line speed although has improved still needs to be faster so I think it’s time to carry 4 forwards on the bench and rotate them more. This includes Whitehead and Tapine as they are struggling to move up in the last 15 minutes of the game I have noticed.

Why does Guler deserve a run over Havilii who has been good and means we can cover edge/middle/hooker/half injuries (he or Hodgo to half)? EDIT: yeah someone just said that.

I loved Bateman on the edge too but not sure where he is nest yet, or if it even matters. Him on an edge means we have big unit Tapine in the middle as a real danger prop.
I see Havilii’s value, but I would like to see another genuine front rower on the bench and have a high bench rotation to keep the line speed up. In Havilii I’m not seeing him get up as fast as I would like for someone he is smaller and agile

My thinking exactly!
BJ
Steve Walters

Re: 2019 Rd 4 V Cowboys: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by BJ »

Havilii gives us some flexibility and cover on the bench, I think it’s an insurance policy we have to retain.

He also offers a late offload when Papalli is off the field.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

There's absolutely no WAY I'd be dropping Havili from the bench... what are you guys smoking??
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Huh? Sure, drop the guy who gives us an extra dimension when he comes on
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Good team. NQ made further changes. This will be tough, but if we play like last week (bar a few dodgy kicks) we should win

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

The Rickman wrote:Does anyone know which day Teamlist Tuesday is out this week?
Tomorrow, I think
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: April 2, 2019, 4:52 pm Good team. NQ made further changes. This will be tough, but if we play like last week (bar a few dodgy kicks) we should win

Wellity wellity wellity... look who's starting to become positive!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart delivers a stern message to the Canberra Raiders

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has sent a stern message to his squad as hype begins to build about a possible return to the finals.

"It’s going to be a good test on how players can handle people getting excited and patting them on the back. We haven’t done anything yet," Stuart said. "As individuals and as a team we haven’t done anything in regards to where we want to be as a footy team and what we want to achieve this year. Time will only tell if we’re tough enough to do that.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 519uh.html

Canberra Times sport podcast: Raiders chasing best start since 2005: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 51a31.html
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: April 2, 2019, 4:55 pm Ricky Stuart delivers a stern message to the Canberra Raiders

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has sent a stern message to his squad as hype begins to build about a possible return to the finals.

"It’s going to be a good test on how players can handle people getting excited and patting them on the back. We haven’t done anything yet," Stuart said. "As individuals and as a team we haven’t done anything in regards to where we want to be as a footy team and what we want to achieve this year. Time will only tell if we’re tough enough to do that.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 519uh.html

Canberra Times sport podcast: Raiders chasing best start since 2005: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 51a31.html
Spot on, Stick. The rhetoric from the club continues to be 100% on the money this season.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Rick’s gotta be an early favourite for COTY - given how he’s turned things around so convincingly.

He’s 100% right about NQ too - danger team. I’m sure he won’t let the boys go out there complacently and get ambushed. Not on his watch
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Joe Tapine's Canberra Raiders return rests with fitness test

Joe Tapine will have to overcome a fitness test to force his way back into the Canberra Raiders side as halfback Aidan Sezer braces for up to three more weeks on the sidelines. Tapine has been named in Canberra's extended squad but his thumb injury will be assessed before the team departs for Townsville.

"It’s something we’re very fortunate [to have] here as a club or a squad, that John [Bateman] can fill a number of positions. We’ve seen him do that, he’s played in lock, centres and back-row now over three games.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 519uo.html
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

Green eyed Mick wrote: April 1, 2019, 4:10 pm
kona_dream wrote: April 1, 2019, 2:25 pm
greeneyed wrote: April 1, 2019, 1:56 pm Canberra Raiders centre Joey Leilua pleads guilty to dangerous contact charge, free to play North Queensland Cowboys

Raiders centre Joey Leilua has entered a guilty plea to dangerous contact charge but will be free to play this week. He will receive 74 carry-over points.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/22/rou ... y-charges/
Gee I get frustrated with these just accept the guilty pleas. I understand that to fight takes some effort and adds to instability, risk a week etc. But that was not dangerous contact. There was not contact with the head or neck. 76 carry over points will cost him a game at some point.
BJ did the wrong thing but you'll see plenty worse let go this year just like we've all seen plenty worse let go in previous seasons.

As for contesting it, it isn't worth the disruption.
People talk about the odd Love of Williams...If I was the coach BJ would be in Mounties and never play for the raiders FG again.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That's why you're not coach
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’m glad you’re not the coach tbh.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Sorry Finite, we already have a great coach mate
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

You can coach my team. Leilua needs to turn it back to 2016. Thin ice I reckon.
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

gangrenous wrote: April 2, 2019, 5:27 pm You can coach my team. Leilua needs to turn it back to 2016. Thin ice I reckon.
Awesome. I was going to replace him with Nigel Plum.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: April 2, 2019, 2:06 pm NRL Team: Raiders V Cowboys

Officials:

How do people think the refereeing teams we've had so far rank with the NRL?

Gavin Badger is about the first referee we've had that I recognise... and I don't really rate him either.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

greeneyed wrote: April 2, 2019, 5:44 pm

Officials:

Gavin Badger is about the first referee we've had that I recognise... and I don't really rate him either.
I know where you're coming from but it's probably a blessing in disguise.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2019 Rd 4 V Cowboys: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by gangrenous »

Finite wrote:
gangrenous wrote: April 2, 2019, 5:27 pm You can coach my team. Leilua needs to turn it back to 2016. Thin ice I reckon.
Awesome. I was going to replace him with Nigel Plum.
Deal’s off Image
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

greeneyed wrote: April 2, 2019, 5:44 pm

Officials:

According to rugbyleagueproject.org we have a 56% win rate with the Badger

P W L D
BADGER, Gavin 39 22 17 - 56.4%
Perth Based Raiders Fan
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The Rickman wrote:
dubby wrote: April 2, 2019, 4:52 pm Good team. NQ made further changes. This will be tough, but if we play like last week (bar a few dodgy kicks) we should win

Wellity wellity wellity... look who's starting to become positive!
Hang on, I'm determined to be nego while you're poso....so....meh. Team is ok.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

-TW- wrote:That's why you're not coach
Really? That's why? Image Image

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Finite wrote: April 2, 2019, 5:14 pm People talk about the odd Love of Williams...If I was the coach BJ would be in Mounties and never play for the raiders FG again.
Who are you replacing him with that gives you what BJ does as a genuine game breaker?
What's the backline if Beej is dropped?

Line em up, 1v1 Matt skins style (but y'know... actually rate it based on talent,ability and resume) and tell me which team is better.