Cowboys 13+
6%

Total votes: 18

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2019 Rd 4 V Cowboys: Teams and Previews

Post by Botman »

yeh raiders wrote: March 31, 2019, 9:31 pm It’s obvious we want someone to get behind and support this year, who will be in the #7 jersey and the fans have had a gutfull of Sezer
See to me, that’s perfectly fine
At least you’re honest, I think everyone has had enough of Sezer at this point, just some of us as fed up with Williams as we are Sezer

I think it’s interesting in that post that you give credit to Williams for the play before his try. It was a stock standard inside ball that was as non threatening and unimaginative as we see from Sezer
So the forward does a nice job of getting to the ground and then that **** Mata’utia literally turns his back on a ball carrier 3 metres out from the try line
Sam Williams definitely gets some credit for seeing it but I don’t think we can count on the direct defenders showing our half his number as a red zone option, haha

And it’s utterly wild that you’d even attempt the give Sam Williams any credit for the CNK try. He was given a ball with a dude right in his face. That was pure individual brilliance from CNK to make a guy miss and explode through a hole voided by the defender he made miss

Again, I’m sticking with Williams as long as we keep winning, but there was nothing in our attack that suggested were any more creative or better with him, and the idea that he suits Jack better didn’t show up in this game because Wighton was awful, and Sam Williams stood idly by for 60 odd minutes and let that game get tight...

And he’s getting talked up like he was a vital piece of the win. It’s just bizarre and speaks to your first paragraph, people are just so done with Sezer (and rightly so) that Williams really only needs to walk and chew gum at the same time and people gush

But we’re going to need way out of him than that if we want to compete against the best and probably need more then that to win this week.

On the positive I agree with other comments that he looks like he’s worked really hard on his defensive contact, he looked solid in that against the knights
Last edited by Botman on April 1, 2019, 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: April 1, 2019, 6:59 am There is no head on shot that clearly shows downward pressure on the ball. I took the screen caps and they’re in the through green eyes thread. If you saw downward pressure there I suspect you were also viewing through green eyes.
Haha yeah I stopped at the point too
Christ on a bike
Ol Red probably saw downward pressure for Sutton too!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: April 1, 2019, 6:59 am There is no head on shot that clearly shows downward pressure on the ball. I took the screen caps and they’re in the through green eyes thread. If you saw downward pressure there I suspect you were also viewing through green eyes.
The screenshots probably change my opinion. But I've looked at the slow motion, many times, and I can't say I can discern that on the slow motion video replays that the bunker was viewing.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Sams plays much more direct and engages the defence much more often than other ball players, especially Sezer. It holds up the defensive line, and gives him the option of running himself more effectively. I've always liked him as a Halfback, it's just his defence has always been not up to FG standard. If our entire defensive structure is better, and Sam has improved as well, then I like him better than Sezer.
But there's not much in it, and that's just my personal preference on halves play.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Workaholic John Bateman unstoppable for the Canberra Raiders

Canberra recruit John Bateman has already made himself known as one of the side's hardest working players with the back-rower topping the charts three weeks in row for most tackles made, while also notching the most running metres in the team in rounds one and three.

“He’s a very influential fellow on the group,” coach Ricky Stuart said of Bateman. “He’s similar to Elliott [Whitehead], regarding their toughness and their competitiveness to win.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/01/sta ... e-raiders/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders centre Joey Leilua pleads guilty to dangerous contact charge, free to play North Queensland Cowboys

Raiders centre Joey Leilua has entered a guilty plea to dangerous contact charge but will be free to play this week. He will receive 74 carry-over points.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/22/rou ... y-charges/
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

greeneyed wrote: April 1, 2019, 1:56 pm Canberra Raiders centre Joey Leilua pleads guilty to dangerous contact charge, free to play North Queensland Cowboys

Raiders centre Joey Leilua has entered a guilty plea to dangerous contact charge but will be free to play this week. He will receive 74 carry-over points.

Gee I get frustrated with these just accept the guilty pleas. I understand that to fight takes some effort and adds to instability, risk a week etc. But that was not dangerous contact. There was not contact with the head or neck. 76 carry over points will cost him a game at some point.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

He deliberately elbowed him in the head.
Take the points
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

honestly that knights player milked the **** out of that.

One day we will start to see penalties for milking.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2019 Rd 4 V Cowboys: Teams and Previews

Post by LastRaider »

1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. BJ
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Sutton
9. Hodgson
10. Papilii
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. Bateman

14. Sololia
15. Guler
16. Horsburgh
17. Young

Line speed although has improved still needs to be faster so I think it’s time to carry 4 forwards on the bench and rotate them more. This includes Whitehead and Tapine as they are struggling to move up in the last 15 minutes of the game I have noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: April 1, 2019, 6:06 am
PigRickman wrote: March 31, 2019, 7:28 pm I've avoided saying anything because people will make it a thing but **** it, it's been rather astounding to me to see the Williams praise.

Save for the try, which the commentators were openly laughing at Mata'atia for his defensive effort, he was totally and completely invisible for 60 minutes. If he was even remotely as good as people think,we're up 20 at the half because he takes over from Jack.
Wighton was having his worst game in FG ever and he was NO WHERE to be seen. If Sezer did that, he'd be lynch out the front of HQ. The only reason that was a tight game was because Wighton stank the joint up and Sam Williams didnt have it in him to take the reigns.

Williams last 20 was very solid, he closed the game out very well. Basically he did exactly as Sezer did in round 1! Haha. Raiders fans are engaged in some kind of stockholm syndrome with "Sammy"... its bizarre.

Now im fine with Williams staying in the team, i'd pick him in the team this week, Sezer has proven that he's not good enough to warrant changing a winning side for him. But the reality is neither of these guys are the answer and the club knows it, which is George is coming. Fingers crossed he delivered like the other english imports have.
In the presser Sticky had Sam as his man of the match. I thought JB and CNK and Sam were our top 3.

Invisible for 60 minutes? I know you're getting on a bit now and your memory is not what it was, but around the 10th minute Sam followed a Hodgo grubber and there was a head on shot which clearly showed down ward pressure on the ball. Even GE, no Sam fan as a player, said he was robbed. Shortly after he put in a high kick into the Knights in goal and it was called a poor kick, but a kick is only as good as its chasers and there was not a single chaser of the kick. Just before half time Sam put in a chip bomb which was taken by Rapa who offloaded to BJ who is held up over the line. Just after this he takes the ball and dummies to the left before he steps through the line to score the Raiders second try. That was his first half. Scored a try, nearly had another, only good Knights defence prevented BJ scoring another. Not a bad half of football. Invisible you say.

We start the second half and early on he produces a great chip kick which this time has a great chase from Rapa and the Knights are caught in goal. He then produced a bomb which was knocked on by Edrick. Unfortunately Rapa knocks on, on the first tackle after the scrum. Following this Sam produces a grubber which hits the upright and again our chase is not great as the Knights come up with the ball. We then get into the final 20 minutes and Hodgo to Sam to CNK, good step and TRY. Knights then score another try to come within 6 points of us with about 15 to go. This was a time last year when we fell apart. Right when we don't need more pressure BJ lashes out when in possession. Penalty to Knights. Knights then get a series of penalties but we are defending well. We can't buy a penalty. Even a Ponga strangle on CNK does not get us a penalty. BJ and Rapa then carry Edrick over the side line and we have a scrum and possession. Klemmer puts a high shot on JC and we at last have a penalty. Hodgo takes a FG attempt but kicks it into the Knights defenders. Thankfully we get the ball back. The play then goes to Sam on the right and he kicks the FG to take us out to a 7 point lead. He had a fine game by any standards and his first time back in the No.7 in FG in 2019. He deserves to be in the 7 again this week on form.
Good post RR. TBF to the kick that hit the pad, Im pretty sure there were 2 or 3 Raiders waiting for the ball in the in goal had it got past the pad - similar to the CNK try off the Hodgo grubber. I remember saying to my Father-in-law, the 1 time you didnt want the pad.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

As for the Jack love/ hate. It was definatley a licorice all sorts type game from him. 2 really bad kicks, a couple of dropped balls and a bad miss on Ramien - good/ strong ball runner etc or not. However, he had a couple of good kicks, and was otherwise strong in defense. His willingness/ eagerness to chase his own kicks I think is a big plus. Its his 3rd game in his 2nd stint at 6. There are positives to work with moving forward.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Matt wrote:
RedRaider wrote: April 1, 2019, 6:06 am
PigRickman wrote: March 31, 2019, 7:28 pm I've avoided saying anything because people will make it a thing but **** it, it's been rather astounding to me to see the Williams praise.

Save for the try, which the commentators were openly laughing at Mata'atia for his defensive effort, he was totally and completely invisible for 60 minutes. If he was even remotely as good as people think,we're up 20 at the half because he takes over from Jack.
Wighton was having his worst game in FG ever and he was NO WHERE to be seen. If Sezer did that, he'd be lynch out the front of HQ. The only reason that was a tight game was because Wighton stank the joint up and Sam Williams didnt have it in him to take the reigns.

Williams last 20 was very solid, he closed the game out very well. Basically he did exactly as Sezer did in round 1! Haha. Raiders fans are engaged in some kind of stockholm syndrome with "Sammy"... its bizarre.

Now im fine with Williams staying in the team, i'd pick him in the team this week, Sezer has proven that he's not good enough to warrant changing a winning side for him. But the reality is neither of these guys are the answer and the club knows it, which is George is coming. Fingers crossed he delivered like the other english imports have.
In the presser Sticky had Sam as his man of the match. I thought JB and CNK and Sam were our top 3.

Invisible for 60 minutes? I know you're getting on a bit now and your memory is not what it was, but around the 10th minute Sam followed a Hodgo grubber and there was a head on shot which clearly showed down ward pressure on the ball. Even GE, no Sam fan as a player, said he was robbed. Shortly after he put in a high kick into the Knights in goal and it was called a poor kick, but a kick is only as good as its chasers and there was not a single chaser of the kick. Just before half time Sam put in a chip bomb which was taken by Rapa who offloaded to BJ who is held up over the line. Just after this he takes the ball and dummies to the left before he steps through the line to score the Raiders second try. That was his first half. Scored a try, nearly had another, only good Knights defence prevented BJ scoring another. Not a bad half of football. Invisible you say.

We start the second half and early on he produces a great chip kick which this time has a great chase from Rapa and the Knights are caught in goal. He then produced a bomb which was knocked on by Edrick. Unfortunately Rapa knocks on, on the first tackle after the scrum. Following this Sam produces a grubber which hits the upright and again our chase is not great as the Knights come up with the ball. We then get into the final 20 minutes and Hodgo to Sam to CNK, good step and TRY. Knights then score another try to come within 6 points of us with about 15 to go. This was a time last year when we fell apart. Right when we don't need more pressure BJ lashes out when in possession. Penalty to Knights. Knights then get a series of penalties but we are defending well. We can't buy a penalty. Even a Ponga strangle on CNK does not get us a penalty. BJ and Rapa then carry Edrick over the side line and we have a scrum and possession. Klemmer puts a high shot on JC and we at last have a penalty. Hodgo takes a FG attempt but kicks it into the Knights defenders. Thankfully we get the ball back. The play then goes to Sam on the right and he kicks the FG to take us out to a 7 point lead. He had a fine game by any standards and his first time back in the No.7 in FG in 2019. He deserves to be in the 7 again this week on form.
Good post RR. TBF to the kick that hit the pad, Im pretty sure there were 2 or 3 Raiders waiting for the ball in the in goal had it got past the pad - similar to the CNK try off the Hodgo grubber. I remember saying to my Father-in-law, the 1 time you didnt want the pad.
Willians does deserve to be in the side this week but I don’t think fans are forgetting the state of affairs. We have a journey man now as our first choice no. 7

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

kona_dream wrote: April 1, 2019, 2:25 pm
greeneyed wrote: April 1, 2019, 1:56 pm Canberra Raiders centre Joey Leilua pleads guilty to dangerous contact charge, free to play North Queensland Cowboys

Gee I get frustrated with these just accept the guilty pleas. I understand that to fight takes some effort and adds to instability, risk a week etc. But that was not dangerous contact. There was not contact with the head or neck. 76 carry over points will cost him a game at some point.
BJ did the wrong thing but you'll see plenty worse let go this year just like we've all seen plenty worse let go in previous seasons.

As for contesting it, it isn't worth the disruption.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Sam has bulked up and seems to be better in defence. If he can defend as well as Sezer then he is my choice. Williams offers much more in attack and has a better kicking game.

Signing Sezer for 2016 onwards seemed like a good idea at the time but, Williams in 2015 was better than Sezer has been in 3 years.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

People will always see what they want to see with Sam Williams. He's had a few labels put on him over the years (about his defence, involvement and consistency), and probably rightfully so, but it's a hard thing for him to shake.

For a guy that has to step into the team as a halfback on an ad-hoc basis I thought he did OK on Friday. It's not like he's playing alongside James Maloney in the halves - Wighton did him no favours.

Sam is probably the least naturally talented of our three halves, but he is probably our most consistent. His defence is continually improving and is certainly on par with most halves in the comp. I'd prefer him over Sezer at this point in time, who is currently mostly rocks over diamonds.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hudson Young realising a Canberra Raiders dream

A career in the NRL has always been Hudson Young's dream. He just never expected to wake up right in the middle of the real thing so early.

"I’m very fortunate it came when it did, I’ll just try to keep pushing for more now," Young said. "It was definitely a dream come true and hopefully I can try to get another crack soon and cement a spot in the team somewhere. If it’s on the bench, then [so be it].

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 519iy.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders half Sam Williams, fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and forward Hudson Young after the win over the Knights... plus new Raiders board member Katrina Fanning. http://ow.ly/6SDa30ogMgr
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Same team that beat the Tigers
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

gangrenous wrote: April 1, 2019, 5:30 am I think that’s the first time I’ve seen COM live up to his moniker. I like it Image
Nah. I shouldn't have written that. I had had a rough day and took it out on Finchy which was wrong. I apologise to Finchy.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

But COM, dont you hate pants?
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Cranky Old Man wrote: April 1, 2019, 8:04 pm
gangrenous wrote: April 1, 2019, 5:30 am I think that’s the first time I’ve seen COM live up to his moniker. I like it Image
Nah. I shouldn't have written that. I had had a rough day and took it out on Finchy which was wrong. I apologise to Finchy.
All good mate, I too apologise for suggesting what you wrote was "garbage". As you said, I was denigrating other opinions.

I'm not a fan of Wighton, never have been, and Friday's game certainly hasn't changed that opinion.

However, you and others are perfectly entitled to have a different opinion without being belittled for it.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

PigRickman wrote: April 1, 2019, 8:08 pm But COM, dont you hate pants?
When you look like me, mate you like to cover up as much as you can.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

If Hodgo gets injured I wouldn’t hesitate to slot Havili in as I thought he did a brilliant job last year. But while Hodgo is fit and well and knocking out 80 minutes I’m not sure Havili is the best bench option. It’s been noted we are developing some good forward depth and while Havili is doing a job I think there might be better options off the bench. Not saying Havili is out of form just think we can do better maybe.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

2019 Rd 4 V Cowboys: Teams and Previews

Post by Danaman137 »

Billy Walker wrote:If Hodgo gets injured I wouldn’t hesitate to slot Havili in as I thought he did a brilliant job last year. But while Hodgo is fit and well and knocking out 80 minutes I’m not sure Havili is the best bench option. It’s been noted we are developing some good forward depth and while Havili is doing a job I think there might be better options off the bench. Not saying Havili is out of form just think we can do better maybe.
I disagree. Our game plan predominantly runs through the 9 position. If hodgo goes down early in a game (which is very possible, ACL injuries have a history of going again) we need someone who is comfortable and confident in the position.
It’s a spine position and without Havili we simply can’t cover it in my opinion. Think of the other spine positions.
If CNK gets hurt in a game we have rapana or Cotric who can fill in there.
Halves we have whitehead and Hodgson with Havili pushing to 9.

Besides, we usually have a forward on the end of the bench who only gets 15 mins a game if he’s lucky. If we drop Havili and bring in another forward Ricky will probably treat him the same.
IMO the only reason Havili doesn’t wear the #14 jersey is that he’s wearing the #9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Cranky Old Man wrote:
I love you, Cranky

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

LastRaider wrote: April 1, 2019, 3:34 pm 1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. BJ
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Sutton
9. Hodgson
10. Papilii
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. Bateman

14. Sololia
15. Guler
16. Horsburgh
17. Young

Line speed although has improved still needs to be faster so I think it’s time to carry 4 forwards on the bench and rotate them more. This includes Whitehead and Tapine as they are struggling to move up in the last 15 minutes of the game I have noticed.

Why does Guler deserve a run over Havilii who has been good and means we can cover edge/middle/hooker/half injuries (he or Hodgo to half)? EDIT: yeah someone just said that.

I loved Bateman on the edge too but not sure where he is nest yet, or if it even matters. Him on an edge means we have big unit Tapine in the middle as a real danger prop.
Last edited by BadnMean on April 2, 2019, 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

LastRaider wrote: April 1, 2019, 3:45 pm
Willians does deserve to be in the side this week but I don’t think fans are forgetting the state of affairs. We have a journey man now as our first choice no. 7

Sometimes they have their time in the sun. Colin Best was a journeyman who played a season for the ages here. Shifcoske was in the same boat when he came and played the house down a few years. Jason Smith had an Indian summer here. Paul Osbourne was the very definition of a journeyman. Sometimes, they learn a bit along the journey and get the job done.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Gangers, The second of your screen shots is the one they were showing on the Fox telecast. As Rickman said, the play went up to the video ref as a try and then they showed that still. We have seen such evidence given as a try many times before. Once the video ref has made his decision as 'no try' though, then that's the end of it. Nothing will change the decision. We saw that in the debacle decisions when we played Cronulla last year. I thought it was a 'no try' on first viewing and rated it as 'nearly a try' for Sam, the point being it was a good chase by Sam which just didn't come off due to the grounding.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Green eyed Mick wrote: April 1, 2019, 4:10 pm
kona_dream wrote: April 1, 2019, 2:25 pm

BJ did the wrong thing but you'll see plenty worse let go this year just like we've all seen plenty worse let go in previous seasons.

As for contesting it, it isn't worth the disruption.
I agree with everything you've said here GEM. I have more an issue with BJ for showing the ill-discipline and lashing out. There is nowhere under the current rules (ie post 2013 when the punch, even in self defence, was no longer acceptable in the game) where striking out at a player is a smart move by a footballer. BJ chose to do it at a time when he was in possession in our half and the Knights had just got back to 16-10. :nooo
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How your team rates after three rounds

Canberra Raiders

A good start from the Raiders. Off-season recruit John Bateman has been their standout, while Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad was in fine form in their win over the Knights.

The defence is tougher, and so much for the “Faders” tag — Canberra have conceded just one try in the last 20 minutes over three games.

Rating: 7/10

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... nt=control
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

RedRaider wrote:
Gangers, The second of your screen shots is the one they were showing on the Fox telecast. As Rickman said, the play went up to the video ref as a try and then they showed that still. We have seen such evidence given as a try many times before. Once the video ref has made his decision as 'no try' though, then that's the end of it. Nothing will change the decision. We saw that in the debacle decisions when we played Cronulla last year. I thought it was a 'no try' on first viewing and rated it as 'nearly a try' for Sam, the point being it was a good chase by Sam which just didn't come off due to the grounding.
I got all the screen caps from the Fox footage. You’ve just latched onto the one that vaguely supports your narrative in isolation.

We have seen those awarded before (this very weekend). But that doesn’t make it right. By the rules those other decisions are wrong.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Matt wrote: April 1, 2019, 3:44 pm As for the Jack love/ hate. It was definatley a licorice all sorts type game from him. 2 really bad kicks, a couple of dropped balls and a bad miss on Ramien - good/ strong ball runner etc or not. However, he had a couple of good kicks, and was otherwise strong in defense. His willingness/ eagerness to chase his own kicks I think is a big plus. Its his 3rd game in his 2nd stint at 6. There are positives to work with moving forward.
Our very own josh reynolds.
😀
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

Jack's enthusiasm in chasing his own kicks should not be underrated or undervalued.

It's leading by example and the rest of our team's kick chase efforts goes up to follow him.

He'll get better with his kicks - I'm not too fussed about the 2 he kicked out on the full, he'll improve with experience. Don't forget, our first string kicker, Sezer, kicked one out on the full the other week too. So it does happen.

What I'd like to see though is more of a spread of kicking duties between our 6, 7 and 9.

I think we saw more of that in the later stages of the game against the Knights and we looked better for it.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: April 2, 2019, 6:45 am How your team rates after three rounds

Canberra Raiders

A good start from the Raiders. Off-season recruit John Bateman has been their standout, while Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad was in fine form in their win over the Knights.

The defence is tougher, and so much for the “Faders” tag — Canberra have conceded just one try in the last 20 minutes over three games.

Rating: 7/10

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... nt=control
FINALLY!!!!