Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart calls on Andrew Barr to build new Canberra stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: NRL says marquee content on table if Canberra builds stadium

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: May 25, 2019, 9:46 am
PigRickman wrote:
gangrenous wrote: May 25, 2019, 7:26 am He can’t even build a proper case for it in the appropriate discussion. Still waiting on his howlers.
You got given one, that happened in the very game prior and as if to totally prove the point that you’re not able to objectively assess these things, you dismissed it as not a meeting your ever moving criteria :lol:

Why would anyone bother with you on any level after that?
As I responded already. A line-ball judgement decision on a forward pass is very objectively different from a play continuing with a touch judge raised flag which also was reviewed by a video ref.

Anyone else apart from Nickman objectively agree that those are in the same ball park? I doubt it, because they’re clearly not. Your example was not a howler.
Hahah of course it wasn’t
Not to you, nothing would satisfy you. That’s the point.
Go and show that play to 10 NRL neutral fans and ask them.
And whilst your at it, compile that list of “howlers” their teams have suffered

What you’re engaging here is the text book, open and shut definition of confirmation bias

And let’s not forget
gangrenous wrote: May 18, 2019, 9:13 pm Dropped it!
Hahahaha
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

NRL says marquee content on table if Canberra builds stadium

Post by gangrenous »

Look if you two are so confident you’re right - post a poll on LU with video footage of the Cronulla flag decision, and the forward pass and ask them which decision is the worst refereeing, and do not tamper with the result by doing things like linking to our argument or recruiting votes. If you do that and you get over 40% of the vote I won’t make a post here about refereeing bias against the Raiders for a year.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

That sounds like a lot of work...

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:
The Rickman wrote: May 25, 2019, 9:50 am Hahaha it’s people like gangrenous, cat and Fergus that are the reason I make the posts I do mocking their absolutely outrageous attitudes, yet I’M the one that gets told to cut it out. Brilliant stuff

I’m keen to hear again about how Granville should’ve been suspended

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You’re being told to cut it out, as what you’re doing, bringing up the same shtick in every thread, is very annoying.
Well I find it quite annoying when you do your “poor raiders” routine in every thread, which is the reason I do mine! Your behaviour in response to Granville being let off suspension was quite ridiculous

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote: May 25, 2019, 10:52 am
greeneyed wrote:
The Rickman wrote: May 25, 2019, 9:50 am Hahaha it’s people like gangrenous, cat and Fergus that are the reason I make the posts I do mocking their absolutely outrageous attitudes, yet I’M the one that gets told to cut it out. Brilliant stuff

You’re being told to cut it out, as what you’re doing, bringing up the same shtick in every thread, is very annoying.
Well I find it quite annoying when you do your “poor raiders” routine in every thread, which is the reason I do mine! Your behaviour in response to Granville being let off suspension was quite ridiculous

My views are well formed and evidence based. I'm not sure why you want to "mock" other posters... sure, disagree with them... but why do you want to mock people?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:
The Rickman wrote: May 25, 2019, 10:52 am
greeneyed wrote:

My views are well formed and evidence based. I'm not sure why you want to "mock" other posters... sure, disagree with them... but why do you want to mock people?
How was your view that Granville shouldn’t have got off anything other than complete unconscious bias?

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: May 25, 2019, 10:31 am Look if you two are so confident you’re right - post a poll on LU with video footage of the Cronulla flag decision, and the forward pass and ask them which decision is the worst refereeing, and do not tamper with the result by doing things like linking to our argument or recruiting votes. If you do that and you get over 40% of the vote I won’t make a post here about refereeing bias against the Raiders for a year.
Why the **** would anyone bother? You were given what you wanted and dismissed it, you’re not interested in actually being objective about anything.

So you’ll go on the rest of you life wondering why everything is so unfair.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous, the problem is that you can pull these things from “the top of your head” because it’s all you focus on, you’re furious about it, it’s all you see!

But it works both ways, if you told me to name any howlers AGAINST the raiders, I wouldn’t have been able to pull the same 4 that you have, because I just don’t obsess over these things

The reason nobody’s pulling when the decision goes our way off the tops of our head is literally nobody on this forum (myself included) gets worried in the slightest when we win BECAUSE of calls going our way, so it’s discarded from memory almost instantly

You being able to pull these out of thin air doesn’t support your argument, it just means it’s what you focus on

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I agree with that

Still I figure you’re invested enough in Raiders games to be able to recall at least one example.

I can remember one which was the hoodoo game against the Dragons. Clear knock on by Dugan. Long time ago though.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

PigRickman wrote:
gangrenous wrote: May 25, 2019, 10:31 am Look if you two are so confident you’re right - post a poll on LU with video footage of the Cronulla flag decision, and the forward pass and ask them which decision is the worst refereeing, and do not tamper with the result by doing things like linking to our argument or recruiting votes. If you do that and you get over 40% of the vote I won’t make a post here about refereeing bias against the Raiders for a year.
Why the **** would anyone bother? You were given what you wanted and dismissed it, you’re not interested in actually being objective about anything.

Me: give me some even numbers
Pigman: 3
Me: that’s not an even number it isn’t divisible by 2
Pigman: You cannot be objective about even numbers
Me: Sure I can, ask anyone if they agree 3 is even
Pigman: Why, you clearly can’t be objective when it comes to numbers?!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: May 25, 2019, 12:58 pm
PigRickman wrote:

Me: give me some even numbers
Pigman: 3
Me: that’s not an even number it isn’t divisible by 2
Pigman: You cannot be objective about even numbers
Me: Sure I can, ask anyone if they agree 3 is even
Pigman: Why, you clearly can’t be objective when it comes to numbers?!
Haha, that’s not how this is and the fact you think it is speaks absolute volumes

How about this, I’ll post a thread in LU asking if he

*checks notes*

DROPPED IT!

and if that forward pass call was clearly incorrect
And when I get 75%+ against your view, you accept you’re biased and post in 50 consecutive game threads “I am not objective, please disregard my insane ramblings”
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I agree he didn’t drop it. He bobbles it and it looked suss. But I looked at the replay and I agree it’s a try.

I’m not arguing that it was or wasn’t a forward pass. I’d have to watch a replay to see what I think there. My argument is that it was not a howler. I have explained why, which is that it was close, a judgement call, made in real time. The flag going up was none of those things.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

So don’t agree?!?

Pigman: what if I show you’re a biased idiot
gangers: but I’m not
Pigman: but what if I show you are, and over 75% agree that you’re wrong, will you put a sock in it
Gangers: no, it’s not a “howler”, it’s only a howler if it meets my completely arbitrary definition, which moves depending on the event and is dependent solely on my judgement, which many claim is pretty biased
Pigman: well what’s the point then?
Gangers: got him
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Biased - fair
Idiot - nope
Arbitrary definition - that a howler not be close? Not worse if considered on replay? Cry me a river.
Proven me wrong - because you choose goalposts that don’t represent my argument? Hardly
Last edited by gangrenous on May 25, 2019, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The only way to frame it on LU would be something like

Aside from the team you support is there a side you think receives more poor refereeing decisions than others? Then you could make a poll? But then people would just vote for their own side, particularly the Roosters bloke (probably Lucy) who has 27 aliases.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think that’s well reasoned.

I think the opposite would also be more stark. Which team gets more favourable calls would be won by broncos in a landslide. And given it’s a zero sum game someone is losing and not wearing tin foil hats...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It’s simple, go and ask a bunch of fans to name games in the last 3 years which they’ve been **** over in, and every single one of those fan bases will have a list and games against our club will invariably fall on those lists.

Am I going to spend 3-4 hours of my time doing this just to prove gangers is a biased idiot? Haha **** no

All he’d do is dismiss them as not “howlers” by his arbitrary and biased definition.
Gangers: got ‘im!
Lol
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

3-4 hours? Do you type with your elbows?

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: May 25, 2019, 2:16 pm 3-4 hours? Do you type with your elbows?

So I’ve got to make all posts, then collate the information, then present it here, spend hours shifting through which are being excluded because they don’t fit gangers biased interpretation on what a “howler” is and then several hours laughing at his ridiculousness, which is really the fun part but there is a bit involved to get here

I can just skip to this point and enjoy myself

Also, let’s not lose sight of this, gangers is making the claim the raiders are disadvantaged more than any other by bias, and that we have suffered a greater determent than any other club

The onus is on him to prove that claim.
And I’m afraid views of those within the party probably aren’t relevant. Gangers saying people here agree with him would be akin to the LNP saying they’ve got humane asylum seeker policies and citing a survey of all LNP members as evidence that claim is right

It’s not my job to prove gangers theories right or wrong. He’s making the claim, a claim unsupported by anything other than his gut feel... so if he wants to avoid the mockery, he can go and waste his own time proving his hypothesis

Otherwise I could just sit here and say “the raiders have won more games through refereeing errors then any other over the last 5 years, if you don’t believe me, prove me wrong”
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

So how about that stadium?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I see the confusion here. What the NRL actually offered was a marquee with a table.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 25, 2019, 5:32 pm So how about that stadium?
Forget it
The territory won’t ever vote in a LNP government and this ALP government have proven time and time again they aren’t prioritising this project

The voters of Canberra need to ask themselves very honestly about how important this new stadium is.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

edwahu wrote:I see the confusion here. What the NRL actually offered was a marquee with a table.
3rd party deal with Barlens Hire?

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

edwahu wrote:I see the confusion here. What the NRL actually offered was a marquee with a table.
But they are deducting the cost from the Raiders annual grant
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

But the LNP wasn't prioritising the project either. Both parties obviously looked at what Labor was doing in NSW about stadium expenditure - and the noises being made by the chattering classes and chardonnay drinkers in Sydney - and did the ACT pollies did their best to walk away from a new stadium here. So no matter which party you voted for in the last ACT elections... they weren't giving us a new stadium.

There's no reason why fans of the Raiders, and voters, shouldn't keep up the pressure.

And some politicians might realise at some stage that the new stadiums in Sydney are actually extremely popular and probably will be in Canberra. And more popular than trams.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Except those trams are packed every day during peak hour

That stadium might be packed once a year

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-TW- wrote:Except those trams are packed every day during peak hour

Might have something to do with them cancelling every single bus that previously serviced Northbourne ave.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: May 25, 2019, 6:35 pm But the LNP wasn't prioritising the project either. Both parties obviously looked at what Labor was doing in NSW about stadium expenditure - and the noises being made by the chattering classes and chardonnay drinkers in Sydney - and did the ACT pollies did their best to walk away from a new stadium here. So no matter which party you voted for in the last ACT elections... they weren't giving us a new stadium.

There's no reason why fans of the Raiders, and voters, shouldn't keep up the pressure.

And some politicians might realise at some stage that the new stadiums in Sydney are actually extremely popular and probably will be in Canberra. And more popular than trams.
Sure. The Canberra public can keeping doing what they're doing and they'll continue to get what they've always gotten.
Which is for the most part a pretty good government that doesn't give a **** about 10-15k of footy fans for 13 weeks of year. That's sort of my point i guess, either this stadium issue is a significant issue for the territory, in which case you should look at your voting options, or when push comes to shove, it's not really that important, in which case we should probably stop whinging about the prioritisation of this project.

Me personally? Im firmly in the latter. I'd like a new you beaut stadium in the middle of Civic, but the ALP government prioritisation of it seems pretty on point to me.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PigRickman wrote: May 25, 2019, 8:11 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 25, 2019, 6:35 pm But the LNP wasn't prioritising the project either. Both parties obviously looked at what Labor was doing in NSW about stadium expenditure - and the noises being made by the chattering classes and chardonnay drinkers in Sydney - and did the ACT pollies did their best to walk away from a new stadium here. So no matter which party you voted for in the last ACT elections... they weren't giving us a new stadium.

Sure. The Canberra public can keeping doing what they're doing and they'll continue to get what they've always gotten.
Which is for the most part a pretty good government that doesn't give a **** about 10-15k of footy fans for 13 weeks of year. That's sort of my point i guess, either this stadium issue is a significant issue for the territory, in which case you should look at your voting options, or when push comes to shove, it's not really that important, in which case we should probably stop whinging about the prioritisation of this project.

Me personally? Im firmly in the latter. I'd like a new you beaut stadium in the middle of Civic, but the ALP government prioritisation of it seems pretty on point to me.
What you're saying makes absolutely no sense. If neither major party (the only two parties that can conceivably form government) is really offering a new stadium as part of their platform... at least within the time period of my life expectancy... how does "looking at your voting options" make a single bit of difference.

The ONLY way to get this back on the agenda is to continue to lobby for it. I'm a voter who'd like to see it. The club would like to see it and I support them in their hope that there is a new stadium built and their efforts to secure it.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The current government has gotten you no where and continues to deliver nothing on this front, the LNP have shown they are willing to invest in this kind of infrastructure in other states.
Certainly it's reasonable to say the best chance for this project would be under an LNP local government. And certainly it's reasonable to say the current ALP doesnt give a **** about your fan experience at the footy.

If it's a core issue, one that is important enough to you, might be worth giving the other guys a go and seeing if they can do what this mob cant. That's all.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PigRickman wrote: May 25, 2019, 9:06 pm The current government has gotten you no where and continues to deliver nothing on this front, the LNP have shown they are willing to invest in this kind of infrastructure in other states.
Certainly it's reasonable to say the best chance for this project would be under an LNP local government. And certainly it's reasonable to say the current ALP doesnt give a **** about your fan experience at the footy.

If it's a core issue, one that is important enough to you, might be worth giving the other guys a go and seeing if they can do what this mob cant. That's all.
I hope the ACT Liberals change their policy, but it's not their policy to build a stadium. Not at all. The Liberal Senator is showing signs of trying to get it back on the agenda, but it isn't the policy of the ACT Liberals to build a stadium. Labor's policy... well you know what it is. Next election, I'll vote for the party that is actually offering a new stadium.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
PigRickman wrote: May 25, 2019, 9:06 pm The current government has gotten you no where and continues to deliver nothing on this front, the LNP have shown they are willing to invest in this kind of infrastructure in other states.

I hope the ACT Liberals change their policy, but it's not their policy to build a stadium. Not at all. The Liberal Senator is showing signs of trying to get it back on the agenda, but it isn't the policy of the ACT Liberals to build a stadium. Labor's policy... well you know what it is. Next election, I'll vote for the party that is actually offering a new stadium.
So you'll do the same as I did last election. You'll get your name marked off and walk out? Because neither party has said they will build a stadium. Correction: The ALP have said they will but keep throwing out excuses for the past 5 years. The Liberal party went to the last election with their only policy being scrapping the tram mid project after we'd paid for a large chunk of it. Now I'm no supporter of the tram but it just didn't make sense to scrap it that far into it. That was basically the only thing the liberal party actually announced.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gergreg wrote:
-TW- wrote:Except those trams are packed every day during peak hour

Might have something to do with them cancelling every single bus that previously serviced Northbourne ave.

Good point on removing the buses. Close every sports ground in Canberra and the new Civic stadium will get plenty of use.

Whoops shouldn’t give Minister Fitzharris any ideas.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Why would you have a dedicated priority light rail line, and then run buses down the same corridor?

That's just a waste of resources