Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart calls on Andrew Barr to build new Canberra stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart calls on Andrew Barr to build new Canberra stadium

Post by gerg »

Never made sense to blow up the old one near the lake.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart calls on Andrew Barr to build new Canberra stadium

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: June 16, 2019, 3:31 pm When the CT posted a link to that article on FB someone said they needed to invest in a new theatre first

Yes, a new theatre..

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
That's actually the current plan, isn't it?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Azza wrote: June 16, 2019, 3:52 pm Nah not Andrew, but it just shows how clueless some people are. Upgrade cycling infrastructure that is already ahead of most states when the stadium needs an update? yeah right...that's the thing with these sorts of pieces of infrastructure. They will always prove controversial - amazing the NSW government managed to get it off the ground for the SFS and Olympic stadium
Building stadiums in Sydney seemed controversial if you listened to the twitterati and read the musings of some old rugby union dude in the SMH. But people actually voted FOR new stadiums.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I actually wasnt the biggest fan of bankwest stadium when I went for the tigers game. The food was A+ , fairly priced, good quality and great variety.
Someone put the ticket scanners on the wrong side, which was annoying and a bit funny.

But the important bit , i felt like i was further away then at most other stadiums, and i was sitting in the raiders area near the corner about 10 rows back
And the lights were not that special, special lights are in melbourne at AAMI park
Vaccinated
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Mr Barr says he has to prioritise Public Transport? Tell that to the people of Tuggeranong who had their bus routes taken away a few weeks ago.

It’s embarrassing that someone can be so sincerely insincere.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

**** the people of Tuggeranong.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It's not just the people in Tuggeranong that have been shafted with the public transport system. They **** the entire network.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I for one am extremely happy with the network, as I live on a rapid route I couldn't care less about the changes

raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

-TW- wrote: June 16, 2019, 11:29 pm I for one am extremely happy with the network, as I live on a rapid route I couldn't care less about the changes

And I live on the light rail but that doesn't mean I'm a blind **** who can't see how garbage the changes have been.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
BJ
Steve Walters

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart calls on Andrew Barr to build new Canberra stadium

Post by BJ »

raiderskater wrote:
-TW- wrote: June 16, 2019, 11:29 pm I for one am extremely happy with the network, as I live on a rapid route I couldn't care less about the changes

And I live on the light rail but that doesn't mean I'm a blind **** who can't see how garbage the changes have been.
I’m also in a suburb on the Rapid Transport route, but I too can’t believe so many other people could have their Bus services ripped away without regard.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

cat wrote: June 16, 2019, 9:20 pm I actually wasnt the biggest fan of bankwest stadium when I went for the tigers game. The food was A+ , fairly priced, good quality and great variety.
Someone put the ticket scanners on the wrong side, which was annoying and a bit funny.

But the important bit , i felt like i was further away then at most other stadiums, and i was sitting in the raiders area near the corner about 10 rows back
And the lights were not that special, special lights are in melbourne at AAMI park
So it was dark and the view wasn't that great? I mean, I know you were in the sort of corner but it's very interesting because every single other report is about how marvellous it all is - the raiders fans looked great on tv, and the tv people surely get a great view, but if the actual stadium experience wasn't that great (in terms of the view from your position) than has a pup been a bit sold?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BJ wrote:
raiderskater wrote:

I’m also in a suburb on the Rapid Transport route, but I too can’t believe so many other people could have their Bus services ripped away without regard.
It's a double edged sword, they've done well in servicing the well patronised routes whilst sought to seek efficiency from those with minimal demand.

Sure people will lose out but there was a ridiculous amount of dead running in suburban areas.. like articulated buses with 2 or 3 people.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lui_Bon wrote: June 18, 2019, 12:13 am
cat wrote: June 16, 2019, 9:20 pm I actually wasnt the biggest fan of bankwest stadium when I went for the tigers game. The food was A+ , fairly priced, good quality and great variety.

So it was dark and the view wasn't that great? I mean, I know you were in the sort of corner but it's very interesting because every single other report is about how marvellous it all is - the raiders fans looked great on tv, and the tv people surely get a great view, but if the actual stadium experience wasn't that great (in terms of the view from your position) than has a pup been a bit sold?
I thought the experience was very good. I wouldn’t be happy if I were an Eels member, banished from the western side and forced to look into the sun in an afternoon game. As there are NO seats for the public on the western side. It is media and corporates exclusively. That’s been a BIG bugbear for Eels members apparently. The only other concern I’d have is you look directly into the lights at night as a spectator. The lights are in the roof line, not towers.

Those are the only complaints I can conceive of. The seating is a LOT closer to the field than Canberra Stadium. Not a bad seat. You couldn’t get much closer to the field. One problem was that for an away fan, you could only get inner bowl seats on the 10m line. All the other premium seats given to the home members, though many were empty. The stadium light shows are brilliant, the best I’ve ever seen. The stadium is budget construction, but one great feature is that the food and drinks concession level opens directly onto views of the field. You can stand and watch the game from tables while eating. It’s a budget experience but no better in the NRL.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Yeah, I'm with GE. I actually thought the view from the away fan seats was pretty decent, though I'm not usually fond of end-on seats. It was certainly pretty close to the ground - when Croker scored his try I deadset thought he was going to jump the barrier for a second, he was so close. Lighting seemed okay, not really something I was paying attention to.

One bonus was that the roofing comes out so far that when it started raining again during the game, I only got a few light sprinkles where I was sitting. I was maybe six or seven rows back from the fence.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-TW- wrote:
BJ wrote:
raiderskater wrote:

It's a double edged sword, they've done well in servicing the well patronised routes whilst sought to seek efficiency from those with minimal demand.

Sure people will lose out but there was a ridiculous amount of dead running in suburban areas.. like articulated buses with 2 or 3 people.

A quick google says that 7% of Canberrans use public transport so having about 7,000 people sign a petition to revert back to the old bus network is pretty bad.

raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

gergreg wrote: June 18, 2019, 7:50 am
-TW- wrote:
BJ wrote:
raiderskater wrote:

A quick google says that 7% of Canberrans use public transport so having about 7,000 people sign a petition to revert back to the old bus network is pretty bad.

There is one thing the reverters miss on their petition though.

I'm pretty happy the rapid service between Belconnen and Gungahlin (formerly 250, now R8) runs on weekends now. My grandma doesn't like to drive much but she always felt guilty that if we went to lunch on a weekend I was picking her up. It was just that to go from her place to mine by bus on a weekend took over an hour, whereas now it takes about 25 minutes.

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Just my opinion, as i said the food was brilliant

Agree with ge in regards to only 3 sides for the general public and members. Also only 15 rows of seats before you have to go to the upper level.

I feel a lot closer to the action at Canberra stadium but then i am front row , half way line.

And i feel closer to the field in similar seats at AAMI park and Cbus stadium

For all the hoop la that has been going on in Sydney I expected more.
But as GE said it is a budget stadium

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

raiderskater wrote: June 18, 2019, 8:08 am
-TW- wrote:
BJ wrote:
raiderskater wrote:

I'm pretty happy the rapid service between Belconnen and Gungahlin (formerly 250, now R8) runs on weekends now. My grandma doesn't like to drive much but she always felt guilty that if we went to lunch on a weekend I was picking her up. It was just that to go from her place to mine by bus on a weekend took over an hour, whereas now it takes about 25 minutes.
Everybody who's played Sim City knows you need to get the balance right with infrastructure. You can't have oversupply in some areas and be lacking in others. :cmon
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the firm that designed Western Sydney Stadium, as well as Robina. It’s almost a cookie cutter of Robina. That’s one of their budget stadium designs, relatively cheap to put up. They did the indoor one at Dunedin too.

https://populous.com/portfolio#stadiums

They also did Lang Park, Stadium Australia and whole pile of other stadiums in Australia.

You can see there are stadiums around the world they’ve built which have higher end facilities for the public.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

raiderskater wrote:
-TW- wrote:
BJ wrote:
raiderskater wrote: And I live on the light rail but that doesn't mean I'm a blind **** who can't see how garbage the changes have been.

Reverters aren't missing anything. Clearly they felt the system was better before so they signed a petition. I do like that I can work a little later and then not have a longer commute because direct buses stopped earlier before. But my daily commute has gone up at the least 30 minutes per day. How can anybody spin that into a positive - besides GE suggesting it gives me more time on the GH.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: June 18, 2019, 8:31 am This is the firm that designed Western Sydney Stadium, as well as Robina. It’s almost a cookie cutter of Robina. They did the indoor one at Dunedin too.

https://populous.com/portfolio#stadiums
Robina stadium is excellent as well. Only a single tier but still holds nearly 28,000. Same issue though in that the Western Stand is almost wholly dedicated to corporate seating.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:
raiderskater wrote: June 18, 2019, 8:08 am
-TW- wrote:
BJ wrote: I’m also in a suburb on the Rapid Transport route, but I too can’t believe so many other people could have their Bus services ripped away without regard.

Everybody who's played Sim City knows you need to get the balance right with infrastructure. You can't have oversupply in some areas and be lacking in others. :cmon
Cities: Skylines is much better

Least the public transport works

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sports Minister Richard Colbeck quashes federal government providing Canberra Stadium help

It's more than cold water, the federal government have poured an ice slurry on Canberra's chances of getting a new Civic Stadium built before 2025. Sports Minister Richard Colbeck, says Scott Morrison's government has no plans to forgive the ACT's Mr Fluffy debt - which ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr says is necessary if a new home ground for the Canberra Raiders could be brought forward.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote: June 18, 2019, 10:03 am
Northern Raider wrote:Everybody who's played Sim City knows you need to get the balance right with infrastructure. You can't have oversupply in some areas and be lacking in others. :cmon
Cities: Skylines is much better

Least the public transport works

Cities: Skylines is the absolute bomb.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I loved BankWest Stadium. Particularly the bit where I paid $25 for a general admission ticket and then sat on the halfway line to watch the game from the $50 seats as nobody was there checking where I should be sitting...

Good view of the game, decent food prices and pretty good facilities. Thumbs up.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Seiffert82 wrote: June 20, 2019, 7:31 am I loved BankWest Stadium. Particularly the bit where I paid $25 for a general admission ticket and then sat on the halfway line to watch the game from the $50 seats as nobody was there checking where I should be sitting...

Good view of the game, decent food prices and pretty good facilities. Thumbs up.
I do the same at Robina Stadium. Buy the cheap seats then sit in an empty seat on half way. I use the $25 saving to buy a pie.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I have been to bankwest twice and imo it is easily a better view then canberra.

Canberra has great atmosphere from the viking clap and horn of helmsdeep.

But the incline is pretty average at canberra.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: June 20, 2019, 7:31 am I loved BankWest Stadium. Particularly the bit where I paid $25 for a general admission ticket and then sat on the halfway line to watch the game from the $50 seats as nobody was there checking where I should be sitting...

I do the same at Robina Stadium. Buy the cheap seats then sit in an empty seat on half way. I use the $25 saving to buy a pie.
I’ve done the same everytime I go to Canberra too, with the exception of the finals matches

Buy a cheap seat, wait until kickoff and then move into the East Stand on about halfway
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

papabear wrote:I have been to bankwest twice and imo it is easily a better view then canberra.

Canberra has great atmosphere from the viking clap and horn of helmsdeep.

But the incline is pretty average at canberra.
Agreed. Canberra stadium the grandstand is too far back compared to the modern rugby league grounds.

I mean, I love the place because I’ve seen so many raiders victories there, but you’re just right on top of the action at Lang Park, Robina, AAMI and even the SFS

Absolutely HATE Homebush. What an absolute joke as a “rugby league stadium”

And MCG for an Origin, while the atmosphere of 100 thousand people is amazing, the viewing experience just sucks
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: June 20, 2019, 8:29 am

:lol: That'd want to be a decent pie. I doubt it is, but the point is well made.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How do you build it on top of a creek that regularly floods? Why don't they knock down the CIT and build it on that site?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:How do you build it on top of a creek that regularly floods? Why don't they knock down the CIT and build it on that site?
Just redirect the flood water into the away teams changeroom
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021