Josh Hodgson

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: Josh Hodgson

Post by edwahu »

papabear wrote: April 17, 2019, 3:48 pm I agree that defending isn’t what he is paid the big bucks for.

The problem for me is I think better sides then parra might get more success out of working him over to blunt his attack and pick up points.

And since his lateral movement in defence is to **** you can’t really hide him on the edges.

If he improved his hit a bit so teams didn’t target him so much I think the rest of his game would really improve opening everything else up for us.
Why is it a problem for you when he has carved up some of the best defending sides in the comp before? and when his defense has never been an issue and still isn't?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

edwahu wrote: April 17, 2019, 6:58 pm
papabear wrote: April 17, 2019, 3:48 pm I agree that defending isn’t what he is paid the big bucks for.

The problem for me is I think better sides then parra might get more success out of working him over to blunt his attack and pick up points.

And since his lateral movement in defence is to **** you can’t really hide him on the edges.

If he improved his hit a bit so teams didn’t target him so much I think the rest of his game would really improve opening everything else up for us.
Why is it a problem for you when he has carved up some of the best defending sides in the comp before? and when his defense has never been an issue and still isn't?
Hahahah this forum... apparently Cotric and Whitehead stink now too, even though Whitehead has 4 points already in our POTY rankings, and we want to offload Sezer after 5 rounds.

This forum.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

edwahu wrote: April 17, 2019, 6:58 pm

I don't think there's any sort of game plan to work over a hooker defensively. You cannot isolate somebody in the middle the same way you can with a half on the edge. Raiders worked the middle against the Eels. Not because they were targeting Mahoney. It was to tire out their big forwards.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

What about Hodgos defense today? 51 tackles at 95% efficiency. Outstanding.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Papa put the call out and he answered.
He was VERY busy.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Defense was good. Also he didn't try to overplay things out of dummy half. Played more of a distributor role today.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Much better performance from Hodgson today.

The more our halves are involved the more effective our attack is.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I'm not so convinced. Our halves only had 3 more touches than last week with most of the tries down to individual brilliance. It was the least controlled performance from the spine this year and it showed.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

edwahu wrote: April 22, 2019, 5:28 pm I'm not so convinced. Our halves only had 3 more touches than last week with most of the tries down to individual brilliance. It was the least controlled performance from the spine this year and it showed.
We didn't spend set after set camped in the attacking 20m this game so even if distribution was similar, the circumstances were not.

We spent a lot more time working our way out our own 20/30 so the distribution in that case seemed just fine to me. Our halves got a fair look when we did get attacking sets.

He went just fine. So did Sam. Jack is a complete maniac, but is doing more good than harm so far.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Thats the part of our game that has plenty of improvement in it.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

As the above poster said in this game arguably their forward pack won the possession / territory battle.

We were all over parra like a bad smell with good ball when the ball should be going to halves. 3 more possessions with half the amount of quality possessions is a good result.

Our first try was a nice movement from good shape.

As for individual brilliant try as opposed to well organised well that has been us since Stuart got here.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The difference in tactics is a major reason why there was a difference in possession and the dominance in the middle. Ending up with half the quality possession but three more possessions for your halves seems like a poor result.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Josh Hodgson

Post by gangrenous »

Seems like it perhaps. But I don’t think it is.

We played a couple of sets one out and got monstered. Good to see the tactics change, unlike the Storm game.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gangrenous wrote: April 23, 2019, 6:37 am Seems like it perhaps. But I don’t think it is.

We played a couple of sets one out and got monstered. Good to see the tactics change, unlike the Storm game.
This.

The opposition has a lot to do with it. The broncos came to play and they werent going to be beaten on attrition or out enthused or out physicalled.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think Parra is a far better side than Brisbane so far this year and turned up to play. Ricky's coaching was a big reason why we won that game, I don't think you can say the same for the Broncos match.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Maybe, brisbane appeared to be getting off their line and pretty enthusiastic all match.

Parra are playing a lot better but a lot of their talent is in their outside backs then there middle.

Game plan aside our middle looked a lot more enthusiastic, energy filled against parra then brisbane.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Parra is a better side but their middles suit ours better. They've got that classic slow lateral mover to take advantage of. Same with Manly.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Isn't Hodgo fast approaching 100FG games for our great club..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

-PJ- wrote: April 26, 2019, 5:05 pm Isn't Hodgo fast approaching 100FG games for our great club..
Another 25 to go after this round.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

zim wrote: April 26, 2019, 11:48 pm
-PJ- wrote: April 26, 2019, 5:05 pm Isn't Hodgo fast approaching 100FG games for our great club..
Actually only 9 to go after this round.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Finchy wrote: April 27, 2019, 8:29 am
zim wrote: April 26, 2019, 11:48 pm
Actually only 9 to go after this round.
Well I knew Hodgo was much closer to 100 than what zim reckons.. :)
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Well Wikipedia is right out of date.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Bookface mate..

If it's on Bookface it's fa real...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Knock knock.
Who's th...
JOSHY HODGSON!!!

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

I’m fed up with Hodgson!

Crash balls and useless short kicks that find legs!!!

They are momentum killers.

He’s clearly a dumb footballer because he’s shown no sign of learning anything about his game in the past 2 years.

Is he dining out on his breakout season in 2016?
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Rickmando wrote:I’m fed up with Hodgson!

He’s clearly a dumb footballer because he’s shown no sign of learning anything about his game in the past 2 years.

This x 1000% stupid plays in the red zone, gives our backs and halves no clean ball... crash tackle and early kicks are all he has

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yes he’s making bad calls at the moment but let’s not throw that baby out with the bath water.

Get Ennis in this week and watch the game through together.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Rickmando wrote: April 28, 2019, 2:50 pm I’m fed up with Hodgson!

Would you rather he wasn't a part of our club ?

I'll give you a moment to think about it..

EDIT
Last edited by greeneyed on April 28, 2019, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate term
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Can we just... like once, deal with a loss in a rational way
No one bats 1.000
No NRL team goes 24/24

You lose matches and when you do, you don’t demand the sacking of our only superstar spine player because he’s down on form
Jesus guys

We lost a game of footy, we’re 5-2 if we go 10-4 over the next 14 weeks we’re playing a home semi
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I won’t go back to the Glenn Buttriss days
You can’t make me
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I had a great spot on the hill so couldn’t watch as close as I normally do.

For me though we had an attacking raid with about 3 mins to go where josh Hodgson played short every time.

I can’t remember Leila getting a chance at early ball all game, and it wasn’t Williams fault he was just given the ball on the 5th time to call a spade a spade.

The options he takes are poor if he is the second or third best Hooker that shows how poor the rest of the comp is.

The thing that got me most of that game is in the attacking zone you should generally attack either with your weapons or attach the space the defence gives you.

Our best weapon is Leilua and he sure as **** doesn’t move the ball the right way after they started stacking d on their left side there was an acre on the right and we didn’t go there.

On a good note I thought wighton looked good real good.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

Just chill people,i`ve said it before,just let Sammy have the reins in the 20m
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah I don’t know about that, haha
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

We know Josh Hodgson is easily the best spine player we have. He knows it too, as does Ricky.

That doesn't mean he should take it upon himself to try and run every single facet of our game. You can't do that out of hooker, it isn't possible.

Watch Cameron Smith. He's played without Slater AND Cronk many times over the last few years and had a bunch of rookies alongside him in their place. Yet he still gives them that trust to do their job. Part of why he's so good is because he knows when to go without the ball, as much as he knows when to go with it.

We're under the belief that a lot of this is gameplan. If part of the gameplan is to kick into the legs of the opposition 2-3 times a game, or run constantly into traps down the blinside (to name but a few) then Ricky Stuart needs to have a CAT scan.

Granted we don't have the best halves. Jack's move is gonna continue to be topsy turvy and ideally Sam shouldn't be a starter. He needs to trust them though and if they're not good enough to carry out the task, leave that to coaching and recruitment. It's making his own game far less effective and costing us.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Our halves actually got on par or a not miles off amount of footy with plenty of other side's this weekend as a ratio to Hodgos possessions, for example it was exactly the same as the Storm ratio. I think there is a bit of an imagined way people think teams should play which you rarely see in practice.

Now sure the execution from Hodgo needs to improve, especially his kicking, but tactically it's still sound.