Storm 13+
21%

Total votes: 29

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 2019 Rd 2 V Storm: Teams and Previews

Post by BadnMean »

Yorkshire Raider wrote: March 18, 2019, 5:40 am Looking forward to this game. We have it live over here in the UK. Hoping we keep it tight and can stay with them.
The same sort of intensity in the contact will be needed, but you've also got to match that with defensive awareness and mental strength against Melbourne. We were very willing vs GC but without halves and in the wet they really didn't throw much at us that tested our decision making or alertness at all stages like Melbourne will.

That's the big test.

Welcome aboard.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

raiderskater wrote: March 18, 2019, 6:07 am
Woodgers wrote: March 17, 2019, 9:48 pm
Azza wrote: March 17, 2019, 9:05 pm Agreed; I'm a bit worried about the short turnaround!
Its perhaps the toughest turnaround possible considering their grinding style and the conditions we played in away so still need to fly back. We've just got to deal with it though, no point complaining or feeling hard done by. Turn up with the same effort and intent and hopefully we have enough energy to get past them at home. A good crowd wouldn't hurt.
If the boys put in with attitude and effort as they did last night, it won't matter the size of the crowd, the noise will be incredible. I think that was one of the things that impressed me most last night.

I'm quite concerned about the turnaround, too. Hopefully they planned ahead for it and are going to be nice and organised. I think it's safe to say we have the worst turnaround possible this week - a game in hideous conditions on Sunday evening to a game against the toughest team in the comp on Friday evening. Hopefully the boys are in the mindset of "so let's prove we can do it!" rather than "omg this sucks".
It's early rounds coming off a win, first home game. They'll be buzzing.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

The Rickman wrote: March 18, 2019, 7:48 am
gangrenous wrote:The toughest team in the comp on 8 days turnaround!
Enough with the excuses already! We’re going to flog them at home in front of a packed crowd!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hey Rickman you`ve convinced me matey,i`m on your Ricky train.If you`re looking for a driver i`m your man!!!!!! :roflmao
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

Im very happy with the work our sports hypnotherapist has achieved in such a short space of time
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I would be very surprised if we beat the storm. Then again I didn't think we'd beat the tits.

The storm have a certain intensity about them.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jack Wighton ready to show Canberra Raiders can control close games

Jack Wighton hopes his successful return to the halves will silence doubts about the Raiders' ability to control a game. But the Raiders five-eighth admits he and halfback Aidan Sezer will need to find another level for their date with the Melbourne Storm.

"It was a scrappy game but there was a lot of hype around that we wouldn’t be able to control a game, so it was good to show everybody we feel comfortable together and have a bit of fun," Wighton said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 51522.html
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’m keen to see how it goes on a dry track. One big plus for him is he is dangerous with ball in hand and not only will take the tackle but has the ability to muscle his way though when he does unlike a lot of five-eighths in the game presently.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Yeah, 130 meters from a five eighth without a line break would be a rare thing these days.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: March 18, 2019, 6:02 pm I’m keen to see how it goes on a dry track. One big plus for him is he is dangerous with ball in hand and not only will take the tackle but has the ability to muscle his way though when he does unlike a lot of five-eighths in the game presently.
Yeah there is a genuine benefit from having a guy whose spent almost his entire career being able to take tough carries and carve out metres from DH or one off the ruck early in the set.
The guy replacing him is expect to do it too, but having at added option where if our big boys are blowing hard, Wighton can roll his sleeves up and take a 2-3 hit ups to give them a blow is an underrated aspect of his move
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

It sounds like he knows what game management is, which is more than could be said about Austin

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Austin seemed to think game management was energy management, so he made a real effort to avoid wasting energy on tackles in the second half.
Yorkshire Raider
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: John Bateman

Post by Yorkshire Raider »

Cranky Old Man wrote: March 18, 2019, 8:37 am
Yorkshire Raider wrote: March 18, 2019, 5:40 am Looking forward to this game. We have it live over here in the UK. Hoping we keep it tight and can stay with them.
Welcome to the Greenhouse madhouse Yorkshire Raider. Which clique are you going to join?
I'll take my time to decide. Which do you suggest 😂
Yorkshire Raider
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: John Bateman

Post by Yorkshire Raider »

BadnMean wrote: March 18, 2019, 2:48 pm
The same sort of intensity in the contact will be needed, but you've also got to match that with defensive awareness and mental strength against Melbourne. We were very willing vs GC but without halves and in the wet they really didn't throw much at us that tested our decision making or alertness at all stages like Melbourne will.

That's the big test.

Welcome aboard.
Cheers mate. No I wasn't that impressed with GC but I'm obviously putting it down to conditions and first game syndrome. Fully expect Storm to test our middle a lot more. Probably a decent time to play them though I think so early in comp.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

MrPosh wrote: March 17, 2019, 8:11 pm
zim wrote: March 17, 2019, 7:45 pm I'd still like to see Soliola starting. He's much more effective than Lui in all facets at the moment and Lui would have an easier time against the 2nd string forwards than he would be against guys like Bromwich and NAS.
Still getting dominated a little too easily and a little too slow at marker.
Having Soliola on when Papili is off gives a better balance to the team, if not the big impact that would be nice in the first ten.
zim wrote: March 17, 2019, 8:15 pm I just really don't care about having a better balanced team if for example we're already down 12-0 when our 2nd best prop comes on. Me and Ricky are never going to agree on this. Come at me clique boys.
Zim, there are 2 parts to this, and TBH, Ive flip flopped on it all off season, as I had Sia starting too.

The 1st and most important is, the game is 80mins. Props only play half those mins. In previous yrs, we started our best 2, then sucked through the middle until they returned.

The other is, we have 2 rookie props on the bench. What happens when they are on the field at the same time? Ill guarantee, a good side, esp one with a stud like Cam Smith running the show, and a couple of experienced big boppas in Bromwich and Funicane, will work them over something chronic. It would be a disaster. Therefore, the steadying presence and experience of a Soliola next to those guys is massive.

Im happy to split them, and it worked against the Titans.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt wrote: March 19, 2019, 9:36 am
MrPosh wrote: March 17, 2019, 8:11 pm
zim wrote: March 17, 2019, 7:45 pm I'd still like to see Soliola starting. He's much more effective than Lui in all facets at the moment and Lui would have an easier time against the 2nd string forwards than he would be against guys like Bromwich and NAS.
Still getting dominated a little too easily and a little too slow at marker.
Having Soliola on when Papili is off gives a better balance to the team, if not the big impact that would be nice in the first ten.
zim wrote: March 17, 2019, 8:15 pm I just really don't care about having a better balanced team if for example we're already down 12-0 when our 2nd best prop comes on. Me and Ricky are never going to agree on this. Come at me clique boys.
Zim, there are 2 parts to this, and TBH, Ive flip flopped on it all off season, as I had Sia starting too.

The 1st and most important is, the game is 80mins. Props only play half those mins. In previous yrs, we started our best 2, then sucked through the middle until they returned.

The other is, we have 2 rookie props on the bench. What happens when they are on the field at the same time? Ill guarantee, a good side, esp one with a stud like Cam Smith running the show, and a couple of experienced big boppas in Bromwich and Funicane, will work them over something chronic. It would be a disaster. Therefore, the steadying presence and experience of a Soliola next to those guys is massive.

Im happy to split them, and it worked against the Titans.
Yep, the two strongest props at the club are now no doubt Papalii and Soliola. But Ricky got it right, splitting them.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

To me the issue of splitting the rotation comes down to styles, not names.
I saw the value in trying Boyd and Paulo together but it was clear early it didnt work because when they came off, you got rolled up. To me you want the big physical enforcers paired with the foot speed/high energy guys. And rotate them that way.

Papa and Sia are our physical enforces and forward leaders. I think in this instance is makes sense to split them.
I really want to see Gruler work his way back into the 17, that's a kid i want to see developed this year, and i have some TPJ/Barnett vibes about that. I like Lui, i think he tries very hard but ideally, all things going well, i want Papa, Gruler, Sia and Sutton as our middles. Gruler's upside is worth pursuing and the difference between Lui and Gruler isnt so much that we should risk a situation with Gruler over IMO.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Storm were arguably the best side in round one but I think we match up quite well with them. You just know that Hodgson will be all over Smith and so long as we contain Munster who I think can drift in and out of games a little I think we're a real chance.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

PigRickman wrote: March 19, 2019, 11:37 am To me the issue of splitting the rotation comes down to styles, not names.
I saw the value in trying Boyd and Paulo together but it was clear early it didnt work because when they came off, you got rolled up. To me you want the big physical enforcers paired with the foot speed/high energy guys. And rotate them that way.

Papa and Sia are our physical enforces and forward leaders. I think in this instance is makes sense to split them.
I really want to see Gruler work his way back into the 17, that's a kid i want to see developed this year, and i have some TPJ/Barnett vibes about that. I like Lui, i think he tries very hard but ideally, all things going well, i want Papa, Gruler, Sia and Sutton as our middles. Gruler's upside is worth pursuing and the difference between Lui and Gruler isnt so much that we should risk a situation with Gruler over IMO.
Lui go's OK but he's a squad filler,he's never going to develop into a gun. therefore we need to give guys like Guler and Murchie some opportunities and see if they can succeed in the top grade.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Yorkshire Raider wrote: March 19, 2019, 8:57 am
Cranky Old Man wrote: March 18, 2019, 8:37 am
Welcome to the Greenhouse madhouse Yorkshire Raider. Which clique are you going to join?
I'll take my time to decide. Which do you suggest 😂
Anyone but Nickman, or whatever alias he is travelling under at the moment. Stay away from his clique.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Nickman’s a massive Rick-head
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

PigRickman wrote: March 19, 2019, 11:37 am To me the issue of splitting the rotation comes down to styles, not names.

Agree 100%. I have mentioned Guler in other threads - I worry we will end up losing him to a Sydney club if we do not give him a go this year. As you mention, the difference between Lui and Guler is not enough to justify keeping him away.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

I’m really excited to see this new-look forward pack against Melbourne this week. The Storm have consistently been the toughest ruck battle for years - for the most part we’ve lost so many games against them primarily because of this. We’ve played them extremely poorly, home and away.

I think if we can hold our own in the ruck battle we’re going to be a lot more competitive against them than usual...
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

On the Guler issue- it’s up to him to force his way in now.

In the first month or two Ricky faced the risk of a prop bench rotation with 3 nrl games between them if he picked Guler, Sutton &Horsburg...

Too much risk when we have a known quantity of reliable service here in Lui.

I agree Guler is a good prospect but Horsburg appears the more aggressive and dynamic at this point, plus Guler is contracted longer. I’m fine with the call at this point.

I do hope to see Guler get a look in after the inevitable injury/suspension/origin and hopefully make himself undroppable so Lui or Sutton need to aim up.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL Team: Raiders V Storm

Canberra Raiders V Melbourne Storm
Friday 22 March 6:00pm
Canberra Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3

The Canberra Raiders have named their line-up for Friday night’s match against the Melbourne Storm at GIO Stadium.

Jordan Rapana has been named on the wing and is set to return early from a shoulder injury. Rapana replaces Bailey Simonsson who made his debut last weekend against the Titans.

Dunamis Lui has been named to start from the bench, after he was a late swap for Sia Soliola last weekend, with Soilola named on the bench this week.

There are no further changes to the Raiders 17 that defeated the Titans.

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Joe Tapine
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. John Bateman

14. Siliva Havili
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Sia Soliola
17. Corey Horsburgh

18. Sam Williams
19. JJ Collins
20. Bailey Simonsson
21. Jack Murchie

Melbourne Storm

1. Jahrome Hughes
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. William Chambers
4. Curtis Scott
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Cameron Munster
7. Brodie Croft
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith
10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenny Bromwich
13. Dale Finucane

14. Brandon Smith
15. Christian Welch
16. Tui Kamikamika
17. Pat Kaufusi

18. Marion Seve
19. Albert Vete
20. Ryan Papenhuyzen
21. Billy Walters

Officials:

Referees: Adam Gee, Phil Henderson
Sideline Officials: Jeff Younis, Adam Cassidy
Video Referees: Jared Maxwell, Bryan Norrie

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersStorm

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2019 #FromAllAngles

Mounties NSW Cup team: Click here

Jersey Flegg team: Click here

Canberra Raiders media

Five Things: Raiders v Storm: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/03 ... s-v-storm/

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

RAPANA

It is a miracle
Sezer's Palace
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by Sezer's Palace »

Hahahaha I thought it was a bold prediction to suggest he'd be back before Round 5.

He is amazing.
Instagram: @sezerspalace
Twitter: @jackkcronin
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Hes back!!!!!
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Man our sports science guys are the best in the league - we so regularly get players ready sooner than expected.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

My cup runneth over

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Wow! So he was only 5 days recovery away from starting the season ?!
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

RAPANA
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

You guys are joking; right? He’s not playing this week is he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: 2019 Rd 2 V Storm: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by gangrenous »

luke wrote:RAPANA
RAPANA?!

AWESOME!
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Re: 2019 Rd 2 V Storm: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*