Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Matt's Match-ups 2019

Post by Raiders_Pat »

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: August 6, 2019, 8:55 pm I couldn't give the skin to Aidan Sezer over Cooper Cronk!
Surely it's just clickbait by now :lol:

Sezer has been doing well. If he steers us home over Cronk in a 6 pt game then Matt can smoke a fat dooby and retire to valhalla.

There's your sig Matt!
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: August 6, 2019, 10:58 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 6, 2019, 8:55 pm I couldn't give the skin to Aidan Sezer over Cooper Cronk!
Surely it's just clickbait by now :lol:

Sezer has been doing well. If he steers us home over Cronk in a 6 pt game then Matt can smoke a fat dooby and retire to valhalla.

There's your sig Matt!
Fingers and toes are crossed
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Classic example of status over form gents, even if it does fly in the face if the Milf rule.

I really think we win BTW. I'm confident
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I think you're doing a great job Matt...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I think a 6-0 win on forward skins doesn't paint a true picture. Their pack should not be underestimated.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Morris, Keary, and Cronk should all win their skins this week.

Normally not Morris, but Raps has been quieter than normal returning from injury and not having Leilua outside him. Morris scored a hat trick last week.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Finchy wrote: August 7, 2019, 9:00 am Morris, Keary, and Cronk should all win their skins this week.

Normally not Morris, but Raps has been quieter than normal returning from injury and not having Leilua outside him. Morris scored a hat trick last week.
Thats a 1wk form line that I get bagged for Finchy. I looked at it.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Matt wrote: August 7, 2019, 9:30 am
Finchy wrote: August 7, 2019, 9:00 am Morris, Keary, and Cronk should all win their skins this week.

That's the point! Morris should win this week, based on your 1 week form line!
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Finchy wrote: August 7, 2019, 10:46 am

Come on Matt. Some consistency please.

P.S. you know we'll bag you regardless :D
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: August 7, 2019, 12:00 pm
Finchy wrote: August 7, 2019, 10:46 am

Come on Matt. Some consistency please.

P.S. you know we'll bag you regardless :D
:lol:
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I agree with Matt in the Sezer /Cronk battle. Cronk seems to be just going through games with as little effort as possible lately, it is definitely time for him to retire. He knew that beating the Titans would not require much of him and held himself back. I believe he anticipates a torrid time in this coming game. Bateman always singles out a danger man for special attention.

I have never been much of a fan of Tupou, his only asset is his height which is equally his biggest liability. Expect plenty of grubbers in behind him on sunday, more especially if the ground is greasy. He has minimal agility.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Cranky Old Man wrote: August 7, 2019, 2:24 pm I agree with Matt in the Sezer /Cronk battle. Cronk seems to be just going through games with as little effort as possible lately, it is definitely time for him to retire. He knew that beating the Titans would not require much of him and held himself back. I believe he anticipates a torrid time in this coming game. Bateman always singles out a danger man for special attention.

I have never been much of a fan of Tupou, his only asset is his height which is equally his biggest liability. Expect plenty of grubbers in behind him on sunday, more especially if the ground is greasy. He has minimal agility.
:thumbsup
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Matt’s Match-ups Rd 22: Raiders V Storm

Storm V Raiders

Jahrome Hughes 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
Suliasi Vunivalu 2. Nick Cotric
Will Chambers 3. Jarrod Croker ©
Justin Olam 4. Joseph Leilua
Josh Addo-Carr 5. Jordan Rapana
Cameron Munster 6. Jack Wighton
Brodie Croft 7. Aidan Sezer
Jesse Bromwich 8. Josh Papalii
Cameron Smith © 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Nelson Asofa-Solomona 10. Sia Soliola
Felise Kaufusi 11. John Bateman
Kenneath Bromwich 12. Elliott Whitehead
Dale Finucane 13. Joseph Tapine

Interchange
Ryan Papenhuyzen 17. 14. Bailey Simonsson #
Tino Faasuameleaui 15. Dunamis Lui
Joe Stimson 16. Corey Horsburgh
Tui Kamikamica 14. 17. Ryan Sutton #

Extended Bench
Max King 18. Sam Williams
Tom Eisenhuth 19. Hudson Young
Sandor Earl 20. Siliva Havili
Billy Walters 21. Emre Guler

#- Skins altered to pair like skins.
(Bolded players are the winners of the skin. The extended bench is excluded.)

Match-ups:

Fullbacks:
Charnze Nicholl-Klokstad has looked safe as houses under the high ball this year, but against the Roosters he dropped two, taking his error tally to 11 for the season. He is still in the top three for runs, run metres and tackle busts. Jahrome Hughes has been named to return from injury. He too has been very solid at the back, but not as good as Chanze.

Wingers:
A winger's main role is to score tries, and Josh Addo-Carr’s 11 is better than any other winger in this contest... plus he is an Origin player. Suliasi Vunivalu has eight tries in 2019, the next best in this contest. Both average a bit over 120m a game too.

Jordan Rapana averages a bit over 120m, and has six tries, and is starting to look better, but a silly penalty on Latrell Mitchell was costly. With Joseph Leliua returning, Bailey Simonsson has moved to the bench as the utility, meaning Nick Cotric returns to the left wing. His return from suspension wasn’t his best. He was very patchy, and an obvious double movement didn’t help his cause.

Centres:
Jarrod Croker celebrated NRL game 250 with a try, but that’s probably where that finished, knocked out with about five minutes to go. He has been voted the second best centre in the NRL on the fan survey, behind last week’s opponent Latrell Mitchell. That’s enough for me to let Will Chambers go through to the keeper.

Joseph Leilua returns from a neck injury that could have ended is career, let alone season - after 11 weeks. He will play NRL game 200 against the Storm. Justin Olam is an "all effort" style centre. With Olam, it is not the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the dog. He showed very good hands against the Broncos a week ago to setup Addo-Carr. It’s an easy injury skin ruling though.

Halves:
Jack Wighton has had a great season and come a long way this year - and will play game 150 in green against the Storm. However, Cameron Munster made that same leap a few years ago, and is now arguably the best five-eighth in the world. His try last week sealed victory in a game where the Storm looked like getting beaten against the Bunnies. Cooper Cronk dislodged Wighton’s effort to do the same on Sunday.

Aidan Sezer has been in great touch in recent weeks. He must have thought he had won the game on Sunday with a late scything run, only to fall agonisingly short. Brodie Croft must have run over Cameron Smith's cat, because I’m sure there is something going on with the team chemistry there. He didn't play the full game against the Broncos two weeks ago and he seems to play third fiddle to Hughes in attack. Not sure what the go is there. He has five tries and five assists to Sezer’s three and five - but given Sezer has played half as many games, I'll go with Sezer in this one.

Prop:
Jesse Bromwich was the bench mark for props for a long time... and with 156m and 130m back-to-back, he still has it. Josh Papalii on the other hand is the current benchmark. Back-to-back 170m efforts are testament to that. Papalii has averaged 13m more a game this year.

Sia Soliola versus Nelson Asofa-Solomona is closer than you’d expect. Soliola averages 23 tackles and 100m a game, while Asofa-Solomona averages 22 tackles and 116m a game in 2019. However, in the last five weeks Asofa-Solomona has run for 745m at 149m a game. The Storm prop is becoming an unstoppable force, so the Raiders' middles will need to really muscle up to shut him down.

Dunamis Lui is a solid middle who plays his role, so he doesn't lose the skin to the three game rookie, Tino Faasuameleaui.

Corey Horsburgh has had a larger role in recent weeks and continues to perform for the Green Machine. Joe Stimson has signed with the Bulldogs for next year, and his minutes reflect that. Their season averages are also a no contest. Horsburgh gets the skin.

Both Ryan Sutton and Tui Kamikamica returned to the NRL last week after a few weeks off. Tui Kamikamica managed 18 tackles and 66m, while Sutton produced 24 tackles and 64m. In a one game shootout, it’s Sutton by a nose - but on the season averages it’s not even close.

Hooker/utility:
Josh Hodgson and Cam Smith are the best two hookers in the competition right now, I’m not going to try and split them.

Ryan Papenhuyzen is an excitement machine. He has been so good, Craig Bellamy has had to find a spot for him. He has mostly played a roaming lock role, but his few games at fullback have been exceptional. He is returning from a week off with injury. Bailey Simonsson has been rewarded for his efforts in his rookie season by holding a spot in the 17 on the bench. But Papenhuyzen gets this skin.

Backrow:
John Bateman is the best edge backrower in the NRL at the moment. He laid on a try with individual brilliance last week - a fantastic offload. Felise Kaufusi is a Queensland Origin player, but he spent 10 minutes in the sin bin last week, and also averages five tackles and 14m a game less than Bateman. And that is not to mention Bateman’s one on one steals.

In recent weeks Elliott Whitehead’s ball running has been strong. His defensive impact has also been telling. Kenny Bromwich has been good defensively, while his ball running has been variable. Over the course of the season, Bromwich’s statistics are better than Whitehead’s. Bromwich has averaged 35 tackles and 92m, while he's bagged four tries and laid on eight more. I'm focused on recent form though - plus, I think Whitehead has had more bearing on the Raiders' results.

Joseph Tapine has taken his game to a new level in the past few weeks. All of a sudden, he looks and plays like they guy we expected him to be. He ran 112m last week and 172m the week before - and scored a try. Dale Funicane finally got some credit for his ability this season, awarded a pair of Blues jerseys. Funicane has also been impressive the last fortnight, running 132m and 193m. Ultimately, Funicane is far more consistent than Tapine.

Result
The tally is Storm eight and Raiders eight plus a draw. There is no tougher road trip in the NRL at the moment, the trip to Melbourne. The Raiders haven’t beaten a top five side this season. Their premiership credentials seem to take a hit every time they don’t. Being in the fight is one thing, but proving you can do it is important too. I can’t see the Raiders getting the win, but I really hope I’m wrong.

Result: Storm will be too good (by 4-8).

Plus follow The Greenhouse on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I think you're doing a great job Matt..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I think you got every skin right... not sure what this bodes for Saturday...
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Smith should have the hooker skin
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

A few tough contests this time round and I reckon Matt has got it right. I'm somehwhat disappointed. :(
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: August 15, 2019, 8:54 am A few tough contests this time round and I reckon Matt has got it right. I'm somehwhat disappointed. :(
Sorry NR, there's always next wk :D
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: August 15, 2019, 9:27 am
Northern Raider wrote: August 15, 2019, 8:54 am A few tough contests this time round and I reckon Matt has got it right. I'm somehwhat disappointed. :(
Sorry NR, there's always next wk :D
Lift your game.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

You needed to give us a Felise Kaufusi 11. John Bateman or something so we'd at least have something to whinge about
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

gangrenous wrote: August 13, 2019, 8:43 pm Smith should have the hooker skin
true, particularly if you take recent form in to account
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think there is a case for Croft and Sezer to be even and Smith definitely should win the skin against Hodgson.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: August 15, 2019, 3:26 pm I think there is a case for Croft and Sezer to be even and Smith definitely should win the skin against Hodgson.
That's how I would have had it personally but no outrageous calls this week
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I hope for Rabbits Warren sake that Nelson Asofa-Solomona and Sia Soliola don’t come together too many times.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

In hindsight that's almost the way it played out. Hard to compare Hodgon and Smith though. Smith was his usual consistent self, whereas the game ebbed and flowed depending on whether Hodgo was doing something amazing or incredibly ****.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 17, 2019, 8:45 pm In hindsight that's almost the way it played out. Hard to compare Hodgon and Smith though. Smith was his usual consistent self, whereas the game ebbed and flowed depending on whether Hodgo was doing something amazing or incredibly ****.
#14 and #17 are the 2 skins that Id say are wrong. Both Raiders were better than their counterparts.

Papenhuyzen 3mins to Simmos 13mins.
Kami 31mins for 54m and 25 tackles vs Sutton 33mins for 98m and 18 tackles.

I reckon you could probably argue Wighton over Munster too.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I think one of the biggest mistakes melbourne made was not bringing Papenhuyzen on just after Suli scored. Would have been extremely dangerous with that added enthusiasm. Leaving him so late left him with nothing.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: August 19, 2019, 2:40 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: August 17, 2019, 8:45 pm In hindsight that's almost the way it played out. Hard to compare Hodgon and Smith though. Smith was his usual consistent self, whereas the game ebbed and flowed depending on whether Hodgo was doing something amazing or incredibly ****.
#14 and #17 are the 2 skins that Id say are wrong. Both Raiders were better than their counterparts.

Wighton was a mixed bag but always looked threatening. I reckon we kept Munster well and truly in check.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, I'd take Wighton over Munster, but on the whole we had their measure in most positions.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: August 19, 2019, 4:17 pm

Wighton was a mixed bag but always looked threatening. I reckon we kept Munster well and truly in check.
Munster is probably 2nd to Teddy this yr as far as best player, so for him to be quite, we did a great job.

Mixed bag sure, but back to back 170m wks for a 5/8 is massive.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: August 19, 2019, 9:31 pm

Munster is probably 2nd to Teddy this yr as far as best player, so for him to be quite, we did a great job.

He did it in only 70 mins too :D
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: August 20, 2019, 8:03 am

true dat
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Matt wrote: August 20, 2019, 10:28 am
Northern Raider wrote: August 20, 2019, 8:03 am

true dat
Braith anasta praised munster for a rubbish kick on the 3rd/4th that went into touch while we were a man down. I thought it was rubbish and impatient
Dont delete this GE