Matt's Match-ups 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Matt's Match-ups 2019

Post by Northern Raider »

Your Tapine vs LL explanation is simply laughable. Look at their most recent games (which is what I thought you did). Tapine out performed Leilua on stats despite 20 mins less game time.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I didn't see Korbin Sim's last game, but surely it wasn't as bad as Corey Horsburgh's game in Darwin

sure Horsburgh averages about 20m and 1 tackle more per game, but he did let in a try or 2 last game.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Despite Cotric not being a superstar at centre, he's still definitely better than Tim Lafai
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Matt’s Match-ups Rd 18: Raiders V Tigers

Tigers V Raiders

Corey Thompson 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
Paul Momirovski 2. Bailey Simonsson
Moses Mbye © 3. Jarrod Croker ©
Esan Marsters 4. Michael Oldfield
David Nofoaluma 5. Jordan Rapana
Benji Marshall 6. Jack Wighton
Luke Brooks 7. Aidan Sezer
Josh Aloiai 8. Josh Papalii
Robbie Farah 9. Josh Hodgson
Alex Twal 10. Dunamis Lui
Ryan Matterson 11. John Bateman
Chris Lawrence 12. Elliott Whitehead
Matthew Eisenhuth 13. Joseph Tapine

Interchange
Jacob Liddle 14. Siliva Havili
Thomas Mikaele 15. Corey Horsbough
Elijah Taylor 16. Sia Soliola
Michael Chee-Kam 17. Emre Guler

Extended Bench
Tommy Talau 18. Sam Williams
Chris McQueen 19. Royce Hunt
Luke Garner 20. Jack Murchie
Oliver Clark 21. JJ Collins

#- Skins altered to pair like skins.
(Bolded players are the winners of the skin. The extended bench is excluded.)

Match-ups:

Fullbacks:
While most teams have been looking for a ball playing fullback, it seems there is a place for the high involvement, big effort fullback in the modern game, and this week we have two on show. Charnze Nicholl-Klokstad scored a double and ran for over 200m. I like Corey Thompson, and his enigmatic electric style. He also crossed on the weekend, and while he is playing very well in his own right, he isn’t at Nicholl-Klokstad’s level at the moment.

Wingers:
Bailey Simonsson scored NRL try number five on the weekend and ran for 170m. He is averaging 136m a game, and continues to look like a mini version of Jordan Rapana with his workrate. Paul Momirovski has been in and out of the Tigers' team, but hasn’t played for a fortnight. A skin for Simosnson.

Both Jordan Rapana and David Nofoaluma have run for over 300m in their past two games. However, there are two tie breakers. Despite being in a beaten side on the weekend, Nofoaluma crossed twice. Also, three weeks ago, Rapana only managed 66m and Nofoaluma managed 154m and a try, in a winning side.

Centres:
Jarrod Croker scored a try, set up a try and saved a try in Wollongong. What more do you need from your captain? Oh wait, he also notched try number 121 for the Raiders, taking the all time record for most tries in green. He also passed 1900 points, the youngest player to ever do so in the NRL. Moses Mybe may have played in Origin this year, but honestly, I’m not sure what he did to earn it. It looked as though his coach was going to drop him from the side completely, until he got the call up. I don’t think he added anything to Queensland and I don’t see what he adds to the Tigers.

With Nick Cotric suspended and Sebastian Kris injured, Michael Oldfield finds himself at centre. Esan Marsters wins the "suspension skin".

Halves:
Benji Marshall played game 300 last week. It’s been a great career and the video that the NRL produced last week was actually a good watch. He is playing "okay" football, but Jack Wighton is in fantastic form, both for the Blues and Raiders. That form has seen him named in the Australian merit side, albeit at centre. His sleight of hand in the lead up to the Croker and Simmonson tries was first class.

Aidan Sezer has been chopped and changed with Sam Williams this year. However, his display against the Dragons was very impressive. Early ball lead to the Cotric try. He popped up on the left a few times. His kicking game was solid. He even ran the ball a few times. Luke Brooks has been poor since he played the Raiders earlier this year. His record against the Raiders is even worse. So, this is a skin for Sezer.

Prop:
Josh Papalii is the best prop in the game at the moment. I like what Josh Aloiai brings, but this is an easy skin for Papalii.

Dunamis Lui continues to be a solid influence... and he laid on a few really solid shots against the Dragons. Alex Twal is one of the best prop forwards in 2019. He has a massive motor, and is proving to be a younger, more mobile, version of Aidan Tolman. He is a defensively strong middle forward who has made 129 tackles in three weeks. That's a skin for Twal.

A couple of young tyros are going at it in this skin. Corey Horsburgh versus Thomas Mikaele. Mikaele is a high impact big body player. His role has gradually increased over the course of the year. He's run for over 300m in the past three games. Horsburgh has had a much bigger role to play, from a much earlier on this season. However, in recent weeks, Horsburgh has been contributing his average, while Mikaele has excelled.

Sia Soliola pumped out an impressive 133m and 19 tackles against the Dragons. With Papalii returning from Origin, Soliola got a rare start. He took advantage of that, and pressed a case for retaining the role. He faces off against another veteran player, Elijah Taylor. Taylor continues to be defensively strong, and is a handy ball playing forward... but his efforts aren’t winning his team games.

Hooker/utility:
Josh Hodgson had his best game of the year against the Dragons. He laid on three tries, kicked well and defended stoutly. Robbie Farah had a great start to 2019, but that form has waned. This is actually an easy skin for Hodgson.

Siliva Havili had a solid game against the Dragons, scoring a try and nearly bagged a second, if not for a strip. He deputised for Hodgson, when the England international received an early shower for his efforts. Jacob Liddle has played varied minutes and it is hard to gauge how he is going. But this is the second time he has been stuck behind Farah... and while Farah was with the Rabbitohs, Liddle couldn’t nail down a role.

Backrow:
John Bateman has probably been the best edge back rower in the NRL for 2019. Ryan Matterson has probably been the best edge back rower not to make a representative side. But Bateman gets the skin.

Chris Lawrence might have a new face, but his playing ability hasn’t improved. Elliott Whitehead has been the Raiders' hard nut. He plays tough, puts his body on the line, and was almost knocked out doing it last weekend. No contest.

I have maligned some of Joseph Tapine’s efforts this year, but his last couple of performances have been far better. He bagged a try on the weekend and ran for 98m and made 22 tackles. Matthew Eisenhuth has also had a great few weeks. Both players have run for over 200m in the past couple of games - but Eisenhuth has made double the tackles. So, it is tackles versus a try… I think Tapine gets the skin and completes the starting back rower complete sweep for the Raiders.

Michael Chee-Kam, the Raiders junior, has nailed down a spot in the top 17 at the Tigers. His versatility and match winning ability has already been on show in 2019. Emre Guler was solid last week against the Dragons, but with only one game under his belt, Chee-Kam gets an easy skin.

Result
The tally is Tigers six and Raiders 11. The Raiders broke the Benji/ Farah hoodoo at Western Sydney Stadium earlier this year. The Tigers were also the third team the Raiders held to zero in 2019. And given the Raiders are coming home after a 12 man win against the Dragons, I see big things this week for the Green Machine.

Result: Raiders to blitz it at home (by 12-18).

Plus follow The Greenhouse on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Whilst I disagree that Nofoluma is better than Rapana, you explained the choice well. This week's Matt's Matchup's is far too sensible for my liking....
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Finchy wrote: July 16, 2019, 7:31 pm Whilst I disagree that Nofoluma is better than Rapana, you explained the choice well. This week's Matt's Matchup's is far too sensible for my liking....
:roflmao
Sorry mate
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

man we win a lot of skins this week, should be a massacre....
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I think you're doing a great job Stat...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Finchy wrote: July 16, 2019, 7:31 pm Whilst I disagree that Nofoluma is better than Rapana, you explained the choice well. This week's Matt's Matchup's is far too sensible for my liking....
Pains me to say it but I also agree with Matt on that one. Feel I need to go wash now. :(

I'll also believe thats about to change. Last week Raps looked as close to 100% as we've seen since returning from injury.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: July 17, 2019, 8:54 am
Pains me to say it but I also agree with Matt on that one. Feel I need to go wash now. :(

I'll also believe thats about to change. Last week Raps looked as close to 100% as we've seen since returning from injury.
:lol:

I too feel like Rapas best is just around the corner. Needs to get some game time under his belt without injury breaks.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: July 17, 2019, 9:07 am
Northern Raider wrote: July 17, 2019, 8:54 am

I too feel like Rapas best is just around the corner. Needs to get some game time under his belt without injury breaks.
Yeah first weeks back he looked still busted and struggled. Last match he was pushing out of a few tackles again and poking his nose through. Just didn't quite find open space. But he looked more effective. Positive signs.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Raps always slays the Tigpies. He'll score a double this week.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

IBG wrote: July 17, 2019, 12:00 pm Raps always slays the Tigpies. He'll score a double this week.
:thumbsup
Like where your heads at
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Matt’s Match-ups Rd 19: Raiders V Panthers

Panthers V Raiders

Dylan Edwards 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
Josh Mansour 2. Bailey Simonsson
Dean Whare 3. Jarrod Croker ©
Brent Naden 4. Michael Oldfield
Brian To’o 5. Jordan Rapana
James Maloney 6. Jack Wighton
Nathan Cleary 7. Aidan Sezer
James Tamou © 8. Josh Papalii
Mitch Kenny 9. Josh Hodgson
James Fisher-Harris 10. Sia Soliola
Viliame Kikau 11. John Bateman
Frank Winterstein 12. Elliott Whitehead
Isaiah Yeo 13. Joseph Tapine

Interchange
Wayde Egan 14. Siliva Havili
Jarome Luai 15. Emre Guler
Moses Leota 16. Corey Horsburgh
Regan Campbell-Gillard 17. Dunamis Lui

Extended Bench
Jed Cartwright 18. Sam Williams
Spencer Leniu 19. Royce Hunt
Stephen Crichton 20. Sebastian Kris
Liam Martin 21. JJ Collins

Match-ups:

Fullbacks:
Charnze Nicholl-Klokstad performance this season doesn’t need explanation. Dylan Edwards' second stint in the NRL for 2019 is much better than his first. His involvement is way up and he is proving far more dangerous too. He still has an error in him though.

Wingers:
Bailey Simonsson has five tries in 2019 and averages 134m a game. Josh Mansour only has a solitary try in 2019, but averages 159m a game. Tough call, but I will edge it to the better finisher.

Jordan Rapana got on the score sheet against the Tigers and passed 100m. Brian To’o has benefitted from all the defenders that Villiame Kikau has been sucking in on the left hand side of the field - giving him room to on the right to score tries. He crossed twice against the Dragons, and has five tries in eight games. He also averages 168m a game. The rookie has Rapana covered.

Centres:
What’s Dean Whare done lately? Jarrod Croker has him covered, and twice this Sunday.

Michael Oldfield had a Barry Crocker against the Tigers. Brent Naden, the former Raiders and Mounties player, who bagged a double last week, gets an easy skin.

Halves:
Jack Wighton is having a good year, but against the Tigers he did not. Another kick out on the full and a pass that went closer to the touchie than his winger. James ‘Jimmy wins’ Maloney has been doing exactly that - winning - since the Origin period started. Panthers are 7-0 in that time, largely due to him.

Aidan Sezer has been in great form the past two weeks. He laid on tries for both Nicoll-Klokstad and Rapana against the Tigers. Nathan Cleary returned from the ankle injury he suffered in Origin II last week, and still looked a little rusty.

Prop:
Josh Papalii is the best prop in the game at the moment. James Tamou has been good in 2019, but this isn’t worth a discussion.

Sia Soliola repaid his coach's faith when he started him last week. He pumped out 147m and 21 tackles against the Tigers, continuing his good form in 2019. However, James Fisher-Harris is the Panthers' version of Josh Papalii. He averages 44 tackles and 125m a game. He has also played a few 80 minute games at prop, which is no mean feat. Tight skin, but I'll edge it the Panthers player's way.

Corey Horsburgh is averaging 88m and 22 tackles a game. However, his minutes have fallen in recent weeks. Moses Leota averages less metres and tackles per game and he crossed for a rare try last week... so I’m going to give him the skin.

Like Corey Horsburgh, Regan Campbell-Gillard averages more meters and tackles than his opponent. However, while Leota’s try is rare, Dunamis Lui crossing for a try is like finding hen's teeth or horse's toes. So, in honour of his first try in five years, I’m going to give him the controversial skin.

Hooker/utility:
If Josh Hodgson was good against the Dragons, he was great against the Tigers. Mitch Kenny wishes his had that kind of talent.

Wade Egan has been playing the lion’s share of the split minutes with Kenny, but he has been doing a very good job. He has been getting his forwards over the advantage line, and creating chances. Siliva Havili has returned to a low minute impact middle role. He is playing that role, but due to the low minutes, his form and involvement has been dropping off.

The Panthers boast two utilities, with Jarome Luai also on the bench. Last week, I believe he officially played on the edge, but really he had a floating role, playing edge, lock and hooker. This is a real X-factor selection that worked wonders for the Panthers last week. Emre Guler finds himself in the very unfamiliar utility category. He is playing a low minutes, fresh legs, role. This one is a fairly easy call.

Backrow:
Pending his judiciary hearing Tuesday night, Villiame Kikau will face off against John Bateman for "round two". In Round 8, Ricky Stuart used his defensive back rowers to cancel out the Panthers' best attacking weapon. Kikau may have knocked Bateman out of the contest, fracturing his eye socket, but Elliot Whitehead chopped him down, and then took out Isaiah Yeo for good measure.

Elliott Whitehead faces off against "Frankenstein" this week, aka Frank Winterstein. The only thing worth talking about is his nickname.

Joseph Tapine’s last couple of performances have been better, but I still think he needs to be playing more minutes. Last week he only managed 33 minutes, but still pumped out 93m and 23 tackles. Isaiah Yeo has moved from the edge to lock in a move to shore up the middle defence for the Panthers. Last week he produced 115m and 37 tackles. Given Yeo’s output and minutes are far greater than Tapine, the skin goes to Yeo.

Result
The tally is Panthers seven and Raiders 10. The Raiders face a number of big challenges in the run to the finals - and meeting the Panthers on a seven game winning streak is a big one. This really should be a tight contest, especially as it is to be played at Panthers Stadium. I really think the difference in this contest is the Raiders defence.

Result: The Raiders' defence to prove the difference (by 2-8).

Plus follow The Greenhouse on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Cleary over Sezer is a big call, though Sezer has been good of late.

Bateman over Kikau is interesting. Bateman hasn't been as dominant since he's come back from injury, and I get the feeling Kikau is the more likely of the two to score a match winning try on the weekend.

Whitehead over Winterstein is also a close one. Whitehead has been quieter than normal. Whilst Winterstein would normally belong in PigRickman's "Who the **** is this ****", he's been a beast lately. Looking very dangerous.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I would swap the skins for Simonsson, Rapana and Sezer.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Finchy wrote: July 23, 2019, 7:36 pm
Bateman over Kikau is interesting. Bateman hasn't been as dominant since he's come back from injury, and I get the feeling Kikau is the more likely of the two to score a match winning try on the weekend.
This one is a bit moot now Kikau is suspended. Bateman should win a skin against whoever comes in.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Fair dinkum Matt. Yeo over Tapine is a **** joke. You're comparing total numbers of a guy who played 80 mins vs one who played 40.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I'm expecting Wighton to be better this week. Think a bit of fatigue is affecting his execution. Havili has had his minutes reduced but still somehow managed 3 missed tackles. That's really not good enough. He's steadily moving out of my first 17.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: July 23, 2019, 8:38 pm
This one is a bit moot now Kikau is suspended. Bateman should win a skin against whoever comes in.
Yep, i love Kikau. Think he's a superstar but i wouldnt trade him for Bateman. No chance. Bateman is right to win the skin. He's the better footballer, which says a lot more about Bateman than it does about Kikau

Matt gets a pass from me on that one
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Northern Raider wrote: July 23, 2019, 8:47 pm Fair dinkum Matt. Yeo over Tapine is a **** joke. You're comparing total numbers of a guy who played 80 mins vs one who played 40.
Yeah, Matty, you know I’m usually supportive but this is a bit of a rough explanation.

“Last week he only managed 33 minutes, but still pumped out 93m and 23 tackles.” That sounds like a pretty good effort to me. Guy can’t sub himself back in.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

PigRickman wrote: July 23, 2019, 9:21 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 23, 2019, 8:38 pm
Yep, i love Kikau. Think he's a superstar but i wouldnt trade him for Bateman. No chance. Bateman is right to win the skin. He's the better footballer, which says a lot more about Bateman than it does about Kikau

Matt gets a pass from me on that one
:cmon
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: July 23, 2019, 8:47 pm Fair dinkum Matt. Yeo over Tapine is a **** joke. You're comparing total numbers of a guy who played 80 mins vs one who played 40.
It was 33, but if in a dog fight 2nd half your coach doesn't stick a former international back out there, what does it say? Pretty sure that he didn't return after his opening stint
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

yeo is a bum
Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: July 24, 2019, 6:00 am
It was 33, but if in a dog fight 2nd half your coach doesn't stick a former international back out there, what does it say? Pretty sure that he didn't return after his opening stint
Well if Tapine was only on that long then 93m and 23 tackles is pretty **** amazing for such limited time. I'd take 33 quality minutes from Tarps over 80 mins of ploding from Yeo any day.

P.S. Sticky needs to have Tarps on the field longer. He's a weapon.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Matt’s Match-ups Rd 20: Raiders V Warriors

I’ll be on ABC radio tomorrow afternoon, 4.30pm-ish, spruiking all things Raiders and The Greenhouse. Please tune in.

Warriors V Raiders

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck © 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
Gerard Beale 2. Bailey Simonsson
Peta Hiku 3. Jarrod Croker ©
Blake Ayshford 4. Michael Oldfield
Ken Maumalo 5. Jordan Rapana
Kodi Nikorima 6. Jack Wighton
Blake Green 7. Aidan Sezer
Agnatius Paasi 8. Josh Papalii
Isaac Luke 9. Josh Hodgson
Leeson Ah Mau 10. Sia Soliola
Adam Blair 11. John Bateman
Isaiah Papali’i 12. Elliott Whitehead
Jazz Tevaga 13. Joseph Tapine

Interchange
Chanel Harris-Tavita 17. vs 14. Siliva Havili
Sam Lisone 15. Emre Guler
Bunty Afoa 16. Corey Horsburgh
Lachlan Burr 14. vs 17. Dunamis Lui

Extended Bench
Karl Lawton 18. Sam Williams
Not Named 19. Hudson Young
Joshua Curran 20. Sebastian Kris
Adam Pompey 21. Royce Hunt
Adam Keighran 22. Not Named

Match-ups:

Fullbacks:
Charnze Nicholl-Klokstad's performance this season has been phenomenal - a rise from fringe first grader to top flight fullback. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has been all class this year, and is the leading metre eater in the NRL. He set a new NRL single game record in the golden point draw against the Broncos of 367m. He is a big reason the Warriors are even in the finals hunt. If not for a dubious forward pass call last week, he would have won the game for the Warriors. This is probably the best match-up of the week, the master versus his apprentice.

Wingers:
Bailey Simonsson has been in great touch, averaging 131m a game and a try every other game. The Raiders have unearthed another talented outside back here. Gerard Beale is averaging 90m a game, but passed 100m last last week. He has been shifted from centre to wing and back again. Bailey gets the skin.

Ken Maumalo is the equal leading try scorer this year, and the second biggest metre gainer this year. Jordan Rapana is starting to get back to form, but not in his countryman’s class in 2019.

Centres:
Jarrod Croker has been in fantastic form this year. The only issue has been his goal kicking, which is currently at the worst kicking percentage of his career. Peta Hiku has been in great form himself, with six tries and ten assists. Two of those assists were last week, while he also ran for 160m. The week before he ran for 122m... and in the golden point draw against the Broncos he ran for a whooping 242m.

This is game seven for Michael Oldfield this season. He was awful a fortnight ago, but much better this past week against the Panthers. This is game four for Ayshford, and has been doing next to nothing. This isn’t a contest.

Halves:
Jack Wighton has run for back to back 130m games. He laid on the try for Elliott Whitehead last week against the Panthers. Kodi Nikorima returns from injury this week. He made the mid-season transfer from the Broncos to the Warriors after an indifferent start to the season. He has strengthened his new team, but at the expense of some exciting young talented halves. Wighton gets the skin.

Aidan Sezer has found a great patch of form. His running game has returned, as has his finessed kicking. In nine games he has three tries, including one last weekend, and four try assists. Blake Green crossed last week for his only try of the year, and he has seven assists for 2019. This one goes to Sezer.

Prop:
Josh Papalii is the best prop in the game at present and he crossed for a try on the weekend. Both props average 27 tackles a game. While Papalii only made 65m last week against the Panthers, he averages 17m more a game than Agnatius Paasi.

Sia Soliola in his 100th game for the Raiders, made 75m and 23 tackles, and led from the front. The look on his face, when the Raiders turned the Panthers away after being camped in the Raiders half early in the game, said it all. Leeson Ah Mau averages 109m and 28 tackles a game. While this is more than Soliola, he hasn’t moved the needle for the Warriors up front, which is why they brought him over from the Dragons.

Corey Horsburgh isn’t just a hot head. He is a ball playing forward too. The fiery forward played link man on a few occasions against the Panthers, and gave the Raiders a chance to use the width of the field. He still managed 95m and 17 tackles in the match. Bunty Afoa is a "smash it up the middle", no nonsense forward. He averages 92m and 24 tackles a game. However, last week he played tackle bot, racking up 41 and proving his motor. Corey gets the skin for his passing!

Dunamis Lui has been much better in recent weeks. His defence has been good, and his ball carrying has been more aggressive. He only averages 82m and 24 tackles a game, but managed 102m last week, and a try the week before. Lachlan Burr average 33 tackles and 83m a game, but has become a bit of a penalty magnet. He is a big minute middle, who does a lot of the clean up work for the Warriors around the ruck. He can play enforcer when required. But it is not enough to take the skin from Lui.

Sam Lisone and Emre Guler have both been playing a low-minute, bench middle role. Lisone averages 61m and 13 tackles to Guler's 44m and 14 tackles. Too hard to really compare, so I’ll leave it to the raw numbers.

Hooker/utility:
Josh Hodgson’s past three weeks have been top drawer. He has had defences bamboozled. Exhibit A? A great sleight of hand to put Josh Papalii over for the Raiders' first try against the Panthers. Isaac Luke has been much better for the Warriors in recent weeks, but is on report this week for a dangerous throw that was similar to the throw that saw Nick Cotric suspended.

Siliva Havili has returned a the low-minute, middle role. He is playing that role, but due to the low minutes, his involvement is dropping off. Chanel Harris-Tavita has had to play utility and five-eighth in the past fortnight. He has looked really dangerous too. I’m surprised the rookie has stood up to the defensive side of the game, especially. I’ve been very impressed with his performances.

Backrow:
John Bateman was the best man on the field last week against the Panthers. The icing on the cake was a try to seal the game. Adam Blair, is Adam Blair. A grubby, lazy edge forward.

Elliott Whitehead bagged a try against the Panthers and was in great touch. His defence was especially stout. Isaiah Papali’i has been solid in 2019, averaging 78m and 37 tackles a game, but hasn’t been the difference to his team that Whitehead has.

Joseph Tapine has proved in the past few weeks that he is explosive, with great footwork at the line. However, as I've said a few times before, he needs to find a way to play more minutes. A player of this talent should be playing longer than he does. Jazz Tevaga does a lot of the middle third dirty work. He has made the conversion from hooker to lock. But with Luke at the judiciary and Karl Lawton no certainty to return from injury, he may yet be asked to spend some time at hooker.

Result
The tally is Warriors six and Raiders 11. It’s a short turnaround for the Raiders, but having made the trip directly to Auckland from Sydney last week, it gives them their best chance to counter the effects. Its fourth versus 12th. No matter the circumstances, the Raiders must find a way to win this. The next month is far too difficult to drop this game.

Result: Raiders in a convincing performance (by 12-18).

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

What time are you going to be on ABC Radio Canberra tomorrow Matt?
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Hiku over Croker? Like to see crokers try tally and try assists compared to hiku!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Green with Envy
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Green with Envy »

Hiku has been surprisingly good lately...I remember 2 or 3 years back I was surprised that he was even in contention for first grade. Personally, I'd still go for Croker but I can see Matt's reasoning.

Matt, I tend to agree with most of the selections. Personally, I think Leeson Ah Mau is hard done by based on the reasoning that you have provided. Based on both the eye test and stats, Ah Mau is playing to a superior standard as a prop than Soliola at present, and good players in otherwise average teams does not change that. To give an imperfect analogy, RTS is a stud who has failed to move the needle at the Warriors but I would still select him over nearly any other fullback bar Tedesco.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts though, I always look forward to reading your breakdowns and player comparisons.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Green with Envy wrote:Hiku has been surprisingly good lately...
But I haven’t even written any recently... oh... Hiku...

Never mind
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: July 30, 2019, 10:34 pm What time are you going to be on ABC Radio Canberra tomorrow Matt?
4.30pm ish
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Ilanraiders wrote: July 30, 2019, 10:39 pm Hiku over Croker? Like to see crokers try tally and try assists compared to hiku!!
Croker 7 trys, 5 assists
Hiku 6 trys, 10 assists
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gangrenous wrote: July 31, 2019, 8:20 am
Green with Envy wrote:Hiku has been surprisingly good lately...
But I haven’t even written any recently... oh... Hiku...

Never mind
:roflmao
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Green with Envy wrote: July 30, 2019, 11:45 pm Hiku has been surprisingly good lately...I remember 2 or 3 years back I was surprised that he was even in contention for first grade. Personally, I'd still go for Croker but I can see Matt's reasoning.

Matt, I tend to agree with most of the selections. Personally, I think Leeson Ah Mau is hard done by based on the reasoning that you have provided. Based on both the eye test and stats, Ah Mau is playing to a superior standard as a prop than Soliola at present, and good players in otherwise average teams does not change that. To give an imperfect analogy, RTS is a stud who has failed to move the needle at the Warriors but I would still select him over nearly any other fullback bar Tedesco.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts though, I always look forward to reading your breakdowns and player comparisons.
Ah Mau is at his most effective playing 50+mins. He isnt getting that. TBH, I dont think he is playing with the same punch that he did at Dragons.

Side note, i scorn him for he horrible start to the year fantasy footy wise :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Yep, Hiku been playing some real good footy lately. Looked like a future star at Manly. Injury impacted his time at the Panthers and taken a while to stamp himself on the NRL again.