-PJ- wrote: March 20, 2019, 8:39 am I think Matt is doin a fair job !!!'
cheers
Don't get too excited, I said fair !!!'
:roflmao
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: Matt's Match-ups 2019

Post by RedRaider »

I agree with all except the draw Matt. Smith remains No.1 at the start of 2019 imo.

But close to a record low of Raider skin wins following a 21 blot win on the weekend just emphasises how well the Storm played. This will be a real test for the Raiders against a side who won't throw away possession like the Titans.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

RedRaider wrote: March 20, 2019, 9:15 am I agree with all except the draw Matt. Smith remains No.1 at the start of 2019 imo.

But close to a record low of Raider skin wins following a 21 blot win on the weekend just emphasises how well the Storm played. This will be a real test for the Raiders against a side who won't throw away possession like the Titans.
Absolutely agree with the bolded part. If our defence looks composed this week against a methodical and unrelenting Storm outfit I will feel that our 2019 season is well and truly on the right track.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

PIgRickman's coaching match ups this week can be found in my signature

NFO, IGWTD
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Scott over Leilua? Leave me alone!
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

PigRickman wrote: March 20, 2019, 9:29 am PIgRickman's coaching match ups this week can be found in my signature

NFO, IGWTD
But Eddy scored a try this week and Rapa didnt play. Injury rule applies :P
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Northern Raider wrote: March 19, 2019, 5:31 pm
RedRaider wrote: March 19, 2019, 5:01 pm
Matt wrote: March 17, 2019, 7:04 pm
The Rickman wrote: March 17, 2019, 9:56 am
Northern Raider wrote:Matt on the money for Rnd 1. Which is slightly disappointing. :(

Jai Arrow vs John Bateman a tough call but you have to go with the guy who’s been going great guns in the NRL for the past couple of years.
Also, his rules clearly state that blokes on an NRL debut will lose their skin

And it’ll be the only skin Bateman loses this year!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After tonight, yep
Round 4 might be a test.
Thanks echoes
My apologies NR. Who'd have thought 2 people on the GH could read a post and give such similar replies. You were first so I'll correct mine.
Matt will have a difficult choice when J.Bateman is matched against J.Taumalolo.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: March 20, 2019, 12:57 pm
PigRickman wrote: March 20, 2019, 9:29 am PIgRickman's coaching match ups this week can be found in my signature

NFO, IGWTD
I said coaching Power Rankings, not players.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Matt wrote:

NFO, IGWTD
Isn’t there also a rule about players who are the best in the league.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Matt's Match-ups Rd 3: Raiders V Knights

I believe the Raiders were ultimately beaten in Round 2 by the five day turnaround. They looked lethargic to start the game, and the Strom capitalised. To their credit, they didn't roll over in the second half, as they might have done in previous years. In fact, they won the second half, and tackled for all 80 minutes. There is lots to work with, but still work to do. Raiders fans should be hopeful.

Knights V Raiders

Connor Watson 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
Edrick Lee 2. Nick Cotric
Hymel Hunt 3. Jarrod Croker C
Jesse Ramien 4. Joseph Leilua
Shaun Kenny-Dowall 5. Jordan Rapana
Kalyn Ponga 6. Jack Wighton
Mitchell Pearce C 7. Aidan Sezer
David Klemmer 8. Josh Papalii
Danny Levi 9. Josh Hodgson C
James Gavet 10. Dunamis Lui
Lachlan Fitzgibbon 11. John Bateman
Sione Mata'utai 12. Elliott Whitehead
Tim Glasby 13. Ryan Sutton

Interchange
Kurt Mann 14. Siliva Havili
Aidan Guerra 15. Hudson Young
Mitchell Barnett 16. Sia Soliola
Herman Ese'ese 17. Corey Horsbough

Extended Bench
Josh King 18. Sam Williams
Mason Lino 19. JJ Collins
Jamie Buhrer 20. Bailey Simonsson
Brodie Jones 21. Jack Murchie

(Bolded players are the winners of the skin. The extended bench is excluded.)

Match-ups:

Fullbacks:
Charnze Nicholl-Klokstad made one terrible mistake rushing up from fullback on Brodie Croft, leaving no one at home, and allowing him to kick in behind the line for Suliasi Vunivalu to score the second try. Other than that, he was super involved, piling up 180m run and safe as houses cleaning up kicks at the back. Connor Watson has struggled to get into the early part of the season. His positional switch with Kalyn Ponga doesn't seem to be working for him.

Wingers:
This will be a super popular skin, and I'm sure I'll see a new addition to Pigman's signature, but for the second week, in game number 50, I wasn't impressed with Nick Cotric. His lack of effort to tackle Vunivalu for the first try was poor... I mean this try to push the winger out thing rarely works. If he wraps his arms around him, he might dislodge the ball, might roll him over or might tackle him into touch. It is starting to feel like second year syndrome, but it's his third season. His opponent is former Raiders cult hero, but finals zero, Edrick Lee. Lee has added some much needed kilograms to his frame this year, but is hasn't slowed him, nor his try scoring threat. He ran for 153m and a match winning intercept try in Round 1, then 99m and a try last week.

A couple of Kiwi teammates battle it out on the other wing. Let's face it, Jordan Rapana looked under done last week. However, his hit on Chambers was glorious. He is a better player than Shaun Kenny-Dowall, but right now he has to get some match fitness. Kenny-Dowall has been okay, posting 118m and 96m in the two games, so Rapana doesn't have far to climb, but as yet can't win the skin.

Centres:
For the second week, I have been super impressed with Jarrod Croker's defence. Who knew the Raiders captain could lay on a shot?! He also bagged a double in a losing side. Hymel Hunt, like Kenny-Dowall has been okay, running for over 100m both weeks, but it's not world beating.

Joseph Leilua had a slow night at the office. He and Rapana didn't really click, as seen by the pass that was behind Rapana early in the first half. Leilua wasn't as involved as he normally is either, with the Storm doing well to shut him down. Leipana has some work to do to recover. That said, Jesse Ramien hasn't been the same tackle busting ball carrier that he was at the Sharks last year... and is off to a slow start to the year. Leilua's try in Round 1 gets him the edge.

Halves:
Jack Wighton has again impressed me at five-eighth. His ball running was strong, his defence was robust, and his ball playing looked dangerous. The only mistake I can remember is when Aidan Sezer was tackled on the last, Josh Hodgson was on the run to the ruck, and Wighton wasn't making a bee line there also to win the last play option. Instead it ended in a crash ball to Josh Papalii. While tackled 1m out on the last is a decent option, it's not so great when you are behind on the scoreboard. Like Wighton, Kalyn Ponga has made the much hyped move to five-eighth. He has made more impact than Wighton though. He looks very dangerous, especially combining with Lachlan Fitzgibbon. I still think he would be better off at fullback, even if it meant he was playing five-eighth in attack, as the Knights are losing his running game at No. 6. With the way Watson is struggling, I can see the switch being made at some point this year, even if it means Warriors import Mason Lino comes in at No. 6 and Watson is dropped.

Aidan Sezer was good in Round 1, but had an oh so familiar 'Barry Crocker' in Round 2. Mitchell Pearce hasn't been unstoppable; however, he has been a general. He took on the captaincy this year, and its showing in his game day maturity and leadership. He is combining well with his new halves partner, and his kicking game is still first class.

Prop:
Origin opponents face off this week - Josh Papalii and David Klemmer. Josh Papalii was great in Round 1, and okay in Round 2. David Klemmer on the other hand has been in beastmode to start 2019, posting over 400 run metres in a fortnight. This is very impressive, until you realise Jason Taumalolo, Jai Arrow and Blake Ferguson have run for 300m, or near enough, in one game.

James Gavet and Dunamis Lui are very similar players. Both are experienced and hard working. However, neither are 'needle movers' and neither are really setting the world on fire. I can't split them.

Sia Soliola is super consistent, and when he came on against the Storm, the momentum changed almost instantly. His presence is so important to this side. Right now, I believe he is our best prop. He is up against a former teammate in Mitch Barnett. Barnett has been very good for the Knights in the opening two rounds, crossing for a try last week. That try was the result of a determined carry, very Barnett-esque. He ran the 'stop me if you can' line and crashed over. This is a very tight skin, but I'll give it to the try scorer.

Corey Horsbough's fire worked against him last week. Too many penalties and the cheeky hair rub on Curtis Scott wasn't needed. Herman Ese'ese was the marquee signing for the Knights last year, and didn't make the Round 1 side, such is the strength of the Knights' pack this season. However, he proved his worth last week with a strong stint off the bench. Should he continue to be on the outside at the Knights, I'd love to hear that Ricky and Don have offered him a start here. He has a big motor, and is a genuine metre eater when given the minutes.

Hooker/utility:
Danny Levi might have caps for his country, but he isn't in Josh Hodgson's class. Easy pick. Hodgson has to be more creative in the red zone though.

Kurt Mann isn't Kurt Gidley... in Mann the Knights have a poor man's jack of all trades. Mann is an outside back, who can play five-eighth at a pinch. His hooker play isn't exactly inspiring. Siliva Havili proved his value on the weekend, really showing that Brandon Smith and Jazz Tevaga aren't the only hookers who can be effective running forwards.

Backrow:
Joseph Tapine is out injured, so John Bateman has made the move to the edge to fill in. Bateman is one of the form backrowers in the competition, and while I like Lachlan Fitzgibbon as a player, and as a try scoring strike weapon, Bateman has just been too classy to start 2019.

Elliott Whitehead had another slow game against the Storm. Both he and Sione Mata'utai are asked to do a great deal of defence for their teams. Right now, Mata'utai is producing more. As much as it pains me, Mr Walking HIA, gets the skin.

With Bateman covering Tapine, Ryan Sutton gets his first start in the NRL. He hasn't been getting the minutes to really get a feel for how he is going. He is going okay, and does look more comfortable than in the trials, but it is hard to really tell. He faces off against Tim Glasby. Despite Glasby crossing in week one, he has looked average, but he still holds the skin.

Aidan Guerra is a bit of a tackle bot these days, but he is still a class player, and given his opponent is a rookie, he gets the easy skin over Hudson Young.

Result
The tally is Knights 10 and Raiders six plus a draw. The Knights have a very good side in 2019, and while they are still a little clunky, I expect them to be well into the top eight come September. Despite that, and the skins against them, I actually expect the Raiders to get back in the winner's circle this week.

Result: Raiders to bounce back at home (by 8-12).

Plus follow The Greenhouse on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Matt's Match-ups 2019

Post by gangrenous »

Oh you did not just give a skin to Edrick Lee over Nick Cotric?! That’s a shocker Matt!

SKD over Rapana? Is it opposite week?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Edrick Lee 2. Nick Cotric

The tragedy of the one week form rule!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gangrenous wrote: March 26, 2019, 7:10 pm Oh you did not just give a skin to Edrick Lee over Nick Cotric?! That’s a shocker Matt!

please read the reason, esp Eddys :D
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Matts doin his best...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

The wingers should definitely be swapped. And I'd consider giving Sia the nod or at least a tie.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I actually agree with Matt. Cotric hasn't been himself this year. Usually makes no errors, strong in defence, countless strong runs and tackle breaks. He's been a bit like Whitehead and Tapine. Very flat.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Matt wrote:
gangrenous wrote: March 26, 2019, 7:10 pm Oh you did not just give a skin to Edrick Lee over Nick Cotric?! That’s a shocker Matt!

I read the reasons. I’m a big fan of your match-ups and love that you stick to your guns and make unpopular calls.

But these are just wrong. You need a special theory of quantum match ups to supersede your Newtonian rules. Because those match-ups aren’t surviving the experimental reality on Friday!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Is this Matt's matchups or GE's matchups?

I really enjoy reading these every week but what is the point of it if the team that wins the skins 10 to 5 is predicted to lose the match?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: March 26, 2019, 8:30 pm Is this Matt's matchups or GE's matchups?

I posted Matt's article for him tonight after he sent it in...
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
gergreg wrote: March 26, 2019, 8:30 pm Is this Matt's matchups or GE's matchups?

Gotcha.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Matt, the skins count should read 10-6 with one draw. I've not watched the Knights but I think the wing skins and Sia will be reversed during actual play. I hope that's how it pans out, anyway.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote: March 26, 2019, 7:25 pm Matts doin his best...
:thumbsup

oh wait... :lol:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: March 26, 2019, 7:12 pm Edrick Lee 2. Nick Cotric

The tragedy of the one week form rule!
Three of those players have played for 2 wks GE, and I explained the Rapa one. Better player, who looks underdone.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gergreg wrote: March 26, 2019, 8:37 pm
greeneyed wrote:

Gotcha.

GE has been tinkering with the images and web pages. Had to get the up to date info, or my pay gets docked :lol:
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Finchy wrote: March 26, 2019, 8:17 pm I actually agree with Matt. Cotric hasn't been himself this year. Usually makes no errors, strong in defence, countless strong runs and tackle breaks. He's been a bit like Whitehead and Tapine. Very flat.
He was ok week 1, setting up 1 of the 3 tries in the monsoon. He looked like he lacked energy Rd 2... but so did others, which suggests the short turnaround (and Rd 1 mud) played a role.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Cotric has been average at best.
E. Lee has been very strong

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gangrenous wrote: March 26, 2019, 8:18 pm
Matt wrote:

I read the reasons. I’m a big fan of your match-ups and love that you stick to your guns and make unpopular calls.

But these are just wrong. You need a special theory of quantum match ups to supersede your Newtonian rules. Because those match-ups aren’t surviving the experimental reality on Friday!
Whatever the formula is it obviously doesn't factor in quality of opposition or playing conditions.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Cotric started a bit slow last year too. So much so we were talking about second year syndrome. He'll turn it on soon.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Edrick Lee's autobiography will detail how he had to leave the Raiders to find his place as a true NRL footballer....but more importantly, to win one of Matt's skins.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Think I’ll take Cotric and a one armed Rapana over Edrick Lee and Shaun Kenny-Edwards.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

I agree with Matt. No doubt Cotric and Rapa are streets ahead of Eddie and SKD - and are two of my faves - but the Knights’ wingers have them covered over the first two weeks.

Very confident that’ll change tomorrow though.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Ruben Daley wrote: March 28, 2019, 10:49 am I agree with Matt. No doubt Cotric and Rapa are streets ahead of Eddie and SKD - and are two of my faves - but the Knights’ wingers have them covered over the first two weeks.

Very confident that’ll change tomorrow though.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Someone read my blurb and gets it.
:cmon :cmon :cmon :cmon
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

God bless Matt.

Lee > Cotric and SKD > Rapana... i mean you could just bottle that. Perfection.
*kisses fingers*

This is why his system sucks.
You could ask anyone in the knights org to do a direct trade, either of theirs for either of ours. And everyone to a man, including SKD and Edrick themselves would take that deal.
This is what i keep saying... have your system and decide the skins when it is close based on your silly 2 week rule... but when it is clear, it's clear. Just award the skin accordingly.