Ricky Stuart on League Life

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Ricky Stuart on League Life

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart will be on League Life tonight from 7:30pm. The format is a fan forum.

Just had a preview on NRL 360, he was talking about the issues associated with player misbehaviour and the impact on clubs.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Ricky Stuart on League Life tonight

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart: We should have dealt with these problems a long time ago and been tougher in the past. The players have brought these decisions from the NRL on themselves.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rod Pyne Raiders fan: Can recall players shown the door at the Raiders, only to be picked up by other clubs.

Ricky Stuart: Making a strong stance on behaviour, letting players go, then what happened to the Raiders really disappointed the club. Making the right decision puts the club at a disadvantage. We need a market mechanism to reduce the value of a player who has been sacked. It became a bidding war for those players we let go, they were high quality players, it becomes embarrassing for the club when they star playing for other clubs and they beat us.

The NRL has to make the decisions for the clubs on sanctions. The clubs want a good brand and good culture, but they also want to win. They take decisions from that perspective. I'll always give a guy a second chance or third chance, if they're contrite. But I've got a problem with some of these players damaging the brand.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Players behaving badly should have pay limited: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Ricky Stuart believes players kicked out of the game should have their earning capacity severely restricted if thrown a lifeline by a rival club.

"I believe if a player leaves a club, he should not be entitled to his maximum wage in regards to his ability. It became a bidding war when those [misbehaving] players left the Raiders. That's what was very embarrassing for the Raiders, and what was even more embarrassing was when you played against those players and they'd beat you.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 513xk.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart on Jack Wighton: The discipline he's had from the NRL, it has been a wonderful education for Jack. He knows he's lucky to be playing, I was pleased to hear him say it. He knows he let his team down, the club down, his mates down. The NRL now has to take responsibility for the sanctions. But the tough discipline has been a big learning club for him. I've seen how he's more controlled in his actions in this off season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart: Wests Tigers CEO... he'll learn, out of the game for six months. Look at Ben Barba. The biggest deterrent is that players can't play. They should lose wages, they should lose ability to play, it is the biggest and best deterrent. We can't do any more education. We do it. These players have to have common sense. If Ben Barba was driving a truck when he first did it, instead of going to another club or England, he'd still be playing rugby league today.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart: I used to get brown paper bags... Mal used to get hessian bags.

Nice joke when asked about brown papers bags in the game. To be clear... he wasn't serious!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Paul White very quite during salary cap talks..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Anyone catch that Broncos fan giving the eye to the camera :roflmao
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: March 13, 2019, 7:15 pm Ricky Stuart: I used to get brown paper bags... Mal used to get hessian bags.

Nice joke when asked about brown papers bags in the game. To be clear... he wasn't serious!
That was gold from Stick..
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

On expansion. Sharks to Central QLD is a perfect match.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart: This time next year what will you be doing... have to agree... I want to still be sitting in Hawaii still celebrating the 2019 premiership, while the assistant coaches have done a great job during the pre season.

Very good show. If you missed it, make sure you catch the replay.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: March 13, 2019, 6:53 pm Players behaving badly should have pay limited: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Ricky Stuart believes players kicked out of the game should have their earning capacity severely restricted if thrown a lifeline by a rival club.

"I believe if a player leaves a club, he should not be entitled to his maximum wage in regards to his ability. It became a bidding war when those [misbehaving] players left the Raiders. That's what was very embarrassing for the Raiders, and what was even more embarrassing was when you played against those players and they'd beat you.

Won't work. If the restriction makes the player play for less money then the "bad boy" players become very attractive as bargains for clubs...

Maybe fix by no cap relief available if a player on a restricted contract gets deregistered/stood down for further breaches or is found guilty etc... That would make the club think twice about which kind of de-bell-end they employ.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Mals denying any hessian bag btw...
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

The Great Man, holding court...

I was a skeptic at first, but Rick does actually seem to be clear-headed and focused this year. Let’s hope he delivers us a premiership!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I thought Ricky did very well BTW. He's passionate, and amusing, everything he says is interesting. I love listening to him in these sorts of events. Last year he did a lunch for the local life saving club on the Sunshine Coast and it was great.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘He’d still be in the game’: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says Ben Barba case reveals ’disturbing’ NRL flaw

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart has sensationally called for an overhaul into the NRL’s punishment protocols, imploring the game to reduce the value of misbehaving players and make them work outside football for a living.

“They understand what it’s like to have to get up in the morning and go and do something you don’t really enjoy as much as going to training with your mates and going to rugby league. That’s the biggest deterrent. That’s the best education for a player.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 6cfbc9a96a
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

BadnMean wrote: March 13, 2019, 7:30 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 13, 2019, 6:53 pm Players behaving badly should have pay limited: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Won't work. If the restriction makes the player play for less money then the "bad boy" players become very attractive as bargains for clubs...

Maybe fix by no cap relief available if a player on a restricted contract gets deregistered/stood down for further breaches or is found guilty etc... That would make the club think twice about which kind of de-bell-end they employ.
Youd put a 10% or so tax on them that counts on the cap and is paid to the nrl or previous club
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Make it 100 per cent. Whatever they sign them for, it costs double on the cap. Then it would really bite. Then see how many players "walk out" to get out of contracts like Dugan and Ferguson.... or refuse to deal with clubs on behavioural clauses like Carney.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Interesting answer from Paul White on expansion (to something which wasn't actually a a question)(and I paraphrase from memory): "I don't know anyone who doesn't think new clubs wouldn't be a money pit, and I use as a example the AFL with GWS and Gold Coast". So he's not complaining about a lack of playing talent, or even a lack of available dollars, just that the NRL (including clubs) would have to prop up expansion clubs. I wonder if that would be true of say, Perth and Wellington, or Perth and Central Qld, but maybe not Ipswich or Redcliff and Gosford? I just got a whiff of "nothing can eat into OUR profits"...
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I like Ricky and agree he was impressive tonight. Can’t help feel a little uncomfortable with him taking such a moral stance given the way the Wighton issue played out. That said - what’s done is done- it’s a new season, a fresh start so no point dwelling on the past.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

greeneyed wrote: March 13, 2019, 8:17 pm ‘He’d still be in the game’: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says Ben Barba case reveals ’disturbing’ NRL flaw

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart has sensationally called for an overhaul into the NRL’s punishment protocols, imploring the game to reduce the value of misbehaving players and make them work outside football for a living.

“They understand what it’s like to have to get up in the morning and go and do something you don’t really enjoy as much as going to training with your mates and going to rugby league. That’s the biggest deterrent. That’s the best education for a player.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 6cfbc9a96a
Fair enough comment from Sticky. I'll need to know what 9-5 job on the tools that Jacky Boi picked up during the back half of 2018 before I give it too much credit though.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I enjoyed watching League Life last night, some interesting points of view there.

I agree with Ricky when he said the NRL should be the one suspending players for bad behavior, the coach is going to want the good players available to win the games and be the ones trying to convince everyone that they can turn the players behavior around to get them on the park quickly.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Lui_Bon wrote: March 13, 2019, 10:33 pm Interesting answer from Paul White on expansion (to something which wasn't actually a a question)(and I paraphrase from memory): "I don't know anyone who doesn't think new clubs wouldn't be a money pit, and I use as a example the AFL with GWS and Gold Coast". So he's not complaining about a lack of playing talent, or even a lack of available dollars, just that the NRL (including clubs) would have to prop up expansion clubs. I wonder if that would be true of say, Perth and Wellington, or Perth and Central Qld, but maybe not Ipswich or Redcliff and Gosford? I just got a whiff of "nothing can eat into OUR profits"...
He fundamentally doesn't want a 2nd Brisbane team, so anything he can say to disrupt expansion is of benefit to him...
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

hrundi89 wrote: March 14, 2019, 10:58 am
Lui_Bon wrote: March 13, 2019, 10:33 pm Interesting answer from Paul White on expansion (to something which wasn't actually a a question)(and I paraphrase from memory): "I don't know anyone who doesn't think new clubs wouldn't be a money pit, and I use as a example the AFL with GWS and Gold Coast". So he's not complaining about a lack of playing talent, or even a lack of available dollars, just that the NRL (including clubs) would have to prop up expansion clubs. I wonder if that would be true of say, Perth and Wellington, or Perth and Central Qld, but maybe not Ipswich or Redcliff and Gosford? I just got a whiff of "nothing can eat into OUR profits"...
He fundamentally doesn't want a 2nd Brisbane team, so anything he can say to disrupt expansion is of benefit to him...
It was a good question raised, I didn't realise 45% of the current players are developed in Queensland!

Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

simo wrote: March 13, 2019, 10:27 pm
Youd put a 10% or so tax on them that counts on the cap and is paid to the nrl or previous club
Absolutely. Make it a 20-30% figure

The main problem is there is currently a clear market advantage to sign a player with poor off-field history.
Matt Lodge went to the Broncos on the minimum wage, which is the entire reason it was worth it to them to take the punt on him to change. They got a good player for less on the cap. Gold in a hard salary cap league.

Put 30% salary cap redemption tax on these kinds of players and they no longer seem worth it.
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

hrundi89 wrote:
The donkeys do not and have not ever wanted a 2nd Brisbane team. Their sponsorship monopoly would be over in an instant and then where will the paper bags come from

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Ricky Stuart on League Life

Post by greeneyed »

Wayne Bennett whacks ‘drama queen’ rival coaches after off-season from hell

South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett has sensationally labelled rival coach Ricky Stuart and others “drama queens” for comments made about the NRL’s off-season from hell. Bennett was asked directly about Stuart’s comments and took the opportunity to take a swing at his rival coaches.

“I can’t believe some of the silly statements that they’ve all made. They earn a living from this game,” Bennett said. “I think there’s a few drama queens out there to be honest with you.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 69ff02e054
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Wayne: “I think there’s a few drama queens out there to be honest with you.”

Also Wayne: “When they start realising that the game’s not going to have a place for them anymore they will get the message. As somebody suggested to me yesterday we shouldn’t have an off-season anymore, just play right through and we’ll all be happy. Next time I see Todd (Greenberg) I’ll mention it to him, see if we can play 12 months.”

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Let's just stop asking Wayne his opinion on anything..

Let him fade away into the background at Redfern for the rest of his days.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Sid wrote: March 14, 2019, 2:46 pm Wayne: “I think there’s a few drama queens out there to be honest with you.”

Also Wayne: “When they start realising that the game’s not going to have a place for them anymore they will get the message. As somebody suggested to me yesterday we shouldn’t have an off-season anymore, just play right through and we’ll all be happy. Next time I see Todd (Greenberg) I’ll mention it to him, see if we can play 12 months.”
Yeah Wayne. Players don't slap their women around from March to September.

Let's play 12 months of the year..
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Pretty sure he was joking, lads.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

so you could say he was being dramatic?

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The Rickman wrote: March 14, 2019, 2:52 pm Pretty sure he was joking, lads.
Probably..but you never know with Mr Bennett.

I'd prefer life just rolled on without someone asking Wayne first...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

He does have a pretty good sense of humour, he has that real dry wit about him... I can totally picture him saying that with his typical smirk on his face.