Titans 13+
No votes

Total votes: 18

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2019 Rd 1 V Titans: Game Day

Post by Northern Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: March 17, 2019, 9:03 pm Great win - can’t fault that effort. Do have to note the Titans were pretty average missing both halves but you can only play what’s in front of you.
Pretty tough for the Titans losing their halfback before the game then their 5/8 in the first half. That's where Peats and the forwards need to step up and help cover the loss. They didn't.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

The best thing about CNK’s game today was his positioning in defense, he was right there for a lot of kicks behind the line.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Lui_Bon wrote: March 17, 2019, 9:17 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 17, 2019, 9:04 pm Tapani was a little quieter than usual today
Yes, but Hodgson seemed to pass to his left about 4 times out of five. Not sure what Tarpine could have done - maybe gone wandering I guess.
Yeah Tarps hardly saw any ball. He got through plenty of tackles still.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Round 1 = Mission Accomplished. Two competition points. It took us 5 rounds to have 2 competition points last year.

I didn't get to see the game - grandkids came around. But did hear the final 30 minutes on ABC and conditions sounded atrocious. Great to keep any team to blot. Sounded like the Titans were poor at ball control but that can be a factor of Raiders pressure as well as the conditions. They lost their half before the match and 5/8 early in the game so I imagine their kick pressure on us was not that great. Happy to be corrected if that assumption is not right.

Storm at home next Friday, so short turn around and the Storm looked in hot form last Thursday night. Looking forward to watching Rd 2.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH REPORT: Canberra Raiders sink Gold Coast Titans in wet

The Canberra Raiders kept the Gold Coast Titans scoreless, but coach Ricky Stuart says the NRL's benchmark will tell them exactly where their defence is at. The Green Machine kept the Titans scoreless in the 21-0 victory on the Gold Coast on Sunday night.

"It's tough to attack in those conditions, so we'll certainly get tested next week against Melbourne," coach Ricky Stuart said. "Next week we'll really see where our defence is. I'm sure the conditions won't be anything like it was tonight, but we still had to make tackles."

CANBERRA RAIDERS 21 (Sia Soliola, Joey Leilua, Bailey Simonsson tries; Jarrod Croker 4 goals; Aidan Sezer drop goal) bt GOLD COAST TITANS 0 at Gold Coast. Referees: Dave Munro, Liam Kennedy. Crowd: 9843.

Injuries: Tyrone Roberts (Achilles) left the field early.
Judiciary: No charges
Dally M votes: Josh Papalii 3, John Bateman 2, Josh Hodgson 1. Judge: Corey Parker
Crowd: 9843

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 514wp.html

Talking points: Canberra Raiders halves looking all Wight: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 514wq.html

MATCH REPORT: Green Machine too slick for Titans in the wet: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/17/ryl ... h-brennan/

MATCH REPORT: Raiders shutout Titans: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/03 ... ut-titans/

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Titans v Raiders: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/17/mat ... v-raiders/

PRESS CONFERENCE: Ricky Stuart: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/03 ... -v-titans/

TEAM SONG: Raiders V Titans: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/03 ... -v-titans/

Burning finals desire driving ‘disgruntled’ Canberra: Stuart: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/17/bur ... ky-stuart/

Jacks to solve 'rudderless' halves woes after Roberts injury: Brennan: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/17/can ... n-the-wet/

Vote for NRL.com Team of the Week: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/17/nrl ... -vote-now/
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

The game management, the effort in defense, thugs game made me so happy.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

greeneyed wrote: March 17, 2019, 9:35 pm
Crowd: 9843
I would have guessed half that from watching on TV, I guess they must have been huddled under cover.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote:What's the collective take on our new #1?

I thought it was a very solid debut for us.
I was very impressed. The conditions were difficult as ****, he made some mistakes, but mistakes were made all over the park. He also did some very good things, and he was the custodian of the first time we’ve held a team to nil in apparently six years, so I’m very happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

CNK did some good things,but he didn’t chime in once for a link play or pass the ball to create opportunities.

We can’t threaten the best defences without a fullback who can create passing opportunities.

Hopefully he can develop this part of his game over the coming weeks.
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by tommyhud9 »

So many positives IMO to take out of tonight, but the main one I feel was our ability to manage the end of the game so professionally. Our defence did not let up, Sezer, Wighton and especially Hodgson kicked magnificently. The Sezer taking the FG was a nice touch and good practice for the season ahead. Great result.

150mm of rain fell on the GC in a 2 hour period so I think we can excuse the horrible ball handling.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

By my calculations, since I moved to Canberra in 2004 and started supporting the Raiders, we have only kept the opposition scoreless twice 56-0 at home against the Broncos in 2008 and 14-0 at home against Parramatta in 2013.

Not sure when we last kept the opposition scoreless away from home.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Bay53 wrote: March 17, 2019, 10:06 pm By my calculations, since I moved to Canberra in 2004 and started supporting the Raiders, we have only kept the opposition scoreless twice 56-0 at home against the Broncos in 2008 and 14-0 at home against Parramatta in 2013.

Looks to be 2001 against the Bulldogs. 32-0 against what looks to be a decent Dogs team.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Bay53 wrote: March 17, 2019, 10:08 pm
Bay53 wrote: March 17, 2019, 10:06 pm By my calculations, since I moved to Canberra in 2004 and started supporting the Raiders, we have only kept the opposition scoreless twice 56-0 at home against the Broncos in 2008 and 14-0 at home against Parramatta in 2013.

Looks to be 2001 against the Bulldogs. 32-0 against what looks to be a decent Dogs team.
Yes in 2001 Dogs came 2nd, we were 11th so a 32-0 win must have been one out of the box.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

New year new me.. Bateman looks the goods and cnk was solid, same as simminson and the horse, keeping them to nil was critical, next week is a bigger test, but neeegz is posso for the first time since I thought Carney would win us a premiership, and I thought Dugan would be a one club player.. anyhoo, cheers to a good year you lunatics.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: March 17, 2019, 9:13 pm I’ve heard a few people mention Ennis’ Influence- I’m interested to know how involved his role is. I imagine it’s more than an occasional txt to our hookers but would doubt he would always be at every training and in the sheds on game day. Does anybody know how involved his role is?
Video Hodgson interview suggested he came down to training once a week or so, plus whatever additional contact.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

-TW- wrote: March 17, 2019, 8:33 pm Anyone still upset we offloaded Boyd?
Not even **** remotely.

78 metres off 11 carries or something, one decent hit. Terrible stuff.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Titans were absolutely diabolical for most of the game, but credit to us for making them look that way in general.

In those conditions, that was almost a perfect performance from us, especially given it's round 1.

Friday will be tough, but I've seen enough to know the attitude across the park is lightyears ahead of the past couple of seasons. Add Rapana to this team and decent conditions, and we'll be good to watch.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

We’ll beat the Storm on Friday, I genuinely believe that

Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Deadset some of you blokes would whinge if you won the lottery. Of course it's only rd 1 and of course the Titans were very very poor but it's always good to a win rd 1. Don't think it's any coincidence we kept a side to nil for the 1st time in 5 years with J.Wighton 5/8. J. Bateman outstanding, love him already, CNK shaky start where he didn't want to try and catch a bomb but he improved as the game went on. Sezer kicked well. Hodgo tremendous. Heaps of improvement in us. Will need to be a lot better to be a chance v the storm.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hazza wrote:Deadset some of you blokes would whinge if you won the lottery. Of course it's only rd 1 and of course the Titans were very very poor but it's always good to a win rd 1. Don't think it's any coincidence we kept a side to nil for the 1st time in 5 years with J.Wighton 5/8. J. Bateman outstanding, love him already, CNK shaky start where he didn't want to try and catch a bomb but he improved as the game went on. Sezer kicked well. Hodgo tremendous. Heaps of improvement in us. Will need to be a lot better to be a chance v the storm.
Hahaha who’s whinging, Hazza?

Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

The Rickman wrote: March 17, 2019, 10:46 pm
Hazza wrote:Deadset some of you blokes would whinge if you won the lottery. Of course it's only rd 1 and of course the Titans were very very poor but it's always good to a win rd 1. Don't think it's any coincidence we kept a side to nil for the 1st time in 5 years with J.Wighton 5/8. J. Bateman outstanding, love him already, CNK shaky start where he didn't want to try and catch a bomb but he improved as the game went on. Sezer kicked well. Hodgo tremendous. Heaps of improvement in us. Will need to be a lot better to be a chance v the storm.

haha read through the whole thread ol mate Dubby was having a crack wasn't he. I swear some blokes on here want us to get beat .

Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Just watched highlights: Funniest moment was the grin on Hodgson's face when Bateman makes the opposition flinch.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hazza wrote:
The Rickman wrote: March 17, 2019, 10:46 pm

haha read through the whole thread ol mate Dubby was having a crack wasn't he. I swear some blokes on here want us to get beat .
Well dubby certainly seems to have this strange fascination with seeing us lose, but the majority of the site seems to be behind the team!

Honestly, if we listened to dubby the world would still be in the 1920s!

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

gangrenous wrote: March 17, 2019, 9:11 pm CNK reminded me a lot of Rapana’s early games at the Raiders with the energy, and effort. Good signs I think.
Yeah I can see the parallels, though Rapana appeared bigger and stronger at the time, making him more effective.

I thought he had a good crack today, so did Simonnson. Looking forward to seeing how they develop over the next month or two under the pressure of versing some tougher opponents.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Yeah it will be interesting to see how we go but honestly it is such a ridiculously tight comp, there are no easy games and the Titans will beat plenty up there this year. I don't think we should dismiss this as 'just the Titans with injuries'. You have to appreciate your wins, anyone can beat anyone. Sure most teams would have beaten the Titans tonight but would it have been as committed and comprehensive?

There aren't that many sporting competitions anywhere that can boast what the NRL has despite their salary cap flaws.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Woodgers wrote:Yeah it will be interesting to see how we go but honestly it is such a ridiculously tight comp, there are no easy games and the Titans will beat plenty up there this year. I don't think we should dismiss this as 'just the Titans with injuries'. You have to appreciate your wins, anyone can beat anyone. Sure most teams would have beaten the Titans tonight but would it have been as committed and comprehensive?

There aren't that many sporting competitions anywhere that can boast what the NRL has despite their salary cap flaws.
Yep, spot on. We played well today, it was a complete performance, the best we’ve had since 2016

Nobody can take that away from us

Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

Northern Raider wrote: March 17, 2019, 8:20 pm RUOK keggles?
Oh not sure I would need an expert like yourself to assess me and help guide me through the darkness and hopefully correct my shortcomings.

The analytical brain food that you provide here is a source of fuel that no one can function without.

Fly high ....you've got this.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

The caveats on this win are both significant and obvious.

That said, beyond getting the two points there were some real positives to come from the performance.

* Bateman looks an instant NRL player, in ability and in attitude. Great performance.
* Jack had some nice moments. I think the wet weather might have even helped him a little, in that that it gave him no option to keep it simple. The aggression and speed he brings was notable.
* Horsburgh terrific. When a kid takes two hitups in his first set on debut you know there´s something about him. Yes he made errors, but what impressed me most was how he got straight up and ripped in on the following defensive set - on at least one occasion forcing an error and getting the footy back for his team.
* CNK showed some good signs, particularly with his positional play. Will take a while to see whether he has some game with the footy in hand, but I thought he showed a bit. Simmonson went alright too.

Papalii and Hodgson both superb, a little bit of class from these boys really made the difference ultimately. I also thought that - whilst reasonably quiet overall - Nick Cotric had some very telling touches. Forcing the error from the bomb and then laying on the try for Leilua the following play was absolutely brilliant, at a point where the match was still very much in the balance.

Looking forward to seeing how we aim up against the Storm next week.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

BJ wrote: March 17, 2019, 10:03 pm CNK did some good things,but he didn’t chime in once for a link play or pass the ball to create opportunities.

We can’t threaten the best defences without a fullback who can create passing opportunities.

I mean, I feel like it was the wrong sort of game to judge that kind of thing. He might have just been reluctant to pass in these conditions for fear of the ball being spilled, which...fair.

We do have a reasonable record against the Storm at home and if we can clean up the handling we're in with a decent shot this week. The short turnaround might work against us though. There were a couple of times I thought that we were giving ourselves a heavier workload than necessary and it was hard going last night. I hope the boys didn't wear themselves out too completely.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

raiderskater wrote:
BJ wrote: March 17, 2019, 10:03 pm CNK did some good things,but he didn’t chime in once for a link play or pass the ball to create opportunities.

I mean, I feel like it was the wrong sort of game to judge that kind of thing. He might have just been reluctant to pass in these conditions for fear of the ball being spilled, which...fair.

We do have a reasonable record against the Storm at home and if we can clean up the handling we're in with a decent shot this week. The short turnaround might work against us though. There were a couple of times I thought that we were giving ourselves a heavier workload than necessary and it was hard going last night. I hope the boys didn't wear themselves out too completely.
The short turnaround isn’t an excuse

The team will be good to go on Friday night, they’re better than excuses this season

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

If Papa isn't one of the toughest s-o-b's playin this game I'll dog paddle to Cairns..

What a machine..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

John Bateman stats according to NRL.com - 145 running metres, 36 tackles, 5 tackle busts. That is a really impressive debut.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Bay53 wrote:By my calculations, since I moved to Canberra in 2004 and started supporting the Raiders, we have only kept the opposition scoreless twice 56-0 at home against the Broncos in 2008 and 14-0 at home against Parramatta in 2013.

Broncos was 2009, I only know because I looked it up when they were talking about how long it was since we’d kept a team scoreless.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

TongueFTW wrote: March 18, 2019, 6:32 am John Bateman stats according to NRL.com - 145 running metres, 36 tackles, 5 tackle busts. That is a really impressive debut.
The best news is, that was nowhere near his best - although the stats are pretty impressive.
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

-TW- wrote:Anyone still upset we offloaded Boyd?
I thanked a titans fan about a week ago for taking him

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman