Canterbury Bulldogs poach Canberra Raiders wrestling coach on eve of NRL season

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

Quite an interesting one considering it's been the pre-season of defence.

Canterbury has poached respected wrestling coach Steve Babic from Canberra on the eve of the NRL season.

Babic worked at the Raiders for nine years and was one of Ricky Stuart’s most respected and important staff members. He was named the Clubman of the Year in 2015.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 3cfe677b0c[/url]
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: More coaching changes

Post by The Nickman »

If he's largely responsible for our defence in the last nine years it's absolutely no big loss.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Re: More coaching changes

Post by Rickmando »

Wouldn’t have said the wrestle was much of strength for us - I trust Rick to make the right call on personnel though, so I’m 100% behind this move.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canterbury Bulldogs poach Canberra Raiders wrestling coach on eve of NRL season

Post by greeneyed »

The Raiders were wrestling much more effectively in the second half of 2016. Then the Raiders started getting heavily penalised for it. Not a real strength in the past two years. Probably not a bad thing to have a bit of a shake up.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Re: Canterbury Bulldogs poach Canberra Raiders wrestling coach on eve of NRL season

Post by Rickmando »

I do think our defensive line’s refusal to come up and meet opposition attackers until they’ve run at least 10m severely limits our opportunity to wrestle, put the players on their backs, or do anything other than get carried another 5m+ after contact... and would certainly provide a challenge to any wrestling coach aspiring to work with us
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Man I hate wrestiling as part of rugby league. As soon as a player is off his feet it should be a penalty if any wrestling takes place.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote: March 8, 2019, 11:18 am Man I hate wrestiling as part of rugby league. As soon as a player is off his feet it should be a penalty if any wrestling takes place.
I hate it too. Every side does it in every single tackle. Watching the WCC it was blatant the differences between the NRL and superleague.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The refs seem unable to understand when and when not to penalise wrestling.

So inconsistently managed.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

One of the things I like about watching Superleague or Women's Rugby League is that there is much less wrestling compared to any NRL game. But yes, under the current structure any NRL club would be mad not to invest time and resources into it.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

BJ wrote: March 8, 2019, 11:39 am The refs seem unable to understand when and when not to penalise wrestling.

So inconsistently managed.
Oh they understand.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Northern Raider wrote: March 8, 2019, 11:18 am Man I hate wrestiling as part of rugby league. As soon as a player is off his feet it should be a penalty if any wrestling takes place.
I love that someone with the Macho Man Randy Savage as their avatar hates wrestling in Rugby League :lol:
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: March 8, 2019, 1:36 pm
I love that someone with the Macho Man Randy Savage as their avatar hates wrestling in Rugby League :lol:
Leave wrestling for wrestling. :|

Come to think of it, maybe we can recruit Brock Lesnar as our new wrestling coach. :hmmm
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Wrestling is part of the game. Glad we got rid of Babic, he did nothing for our defense over the last 3 years. What I don’t get though, why he wasn’t sacked after our in-depth season review? All defensive coaches and staff should have been the focus to shuffle around or remove

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

He was working for the Brumbies at their last home game.

Obviously Dean Pay and Steve Antonelli were impressed with him.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We had a wrestling coach ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Ginga
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Ginga »

Northern Raider wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: March 8, 2019, 1:36 pm
I love that someone with the Macho Man Randy Savage as their avatar hates wrestling in Rugby League Image
Leave wrestling for wrestling. :|

Come to think of it, maybe we can recruit Brock Lesnar as our new wrestling coach. :hmmm
Brock would be far more suited in a pharmaceutical type role

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Matt Hughes would be the man to get. Former UFC champion with a wrestling background.

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 8, 2019, 4:41 pm Matt Hughes would be the man to get. Former UFC champion with a wrestling background.
Same with Brock Lesnar. :cmon
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

We shouldn't have to look too far. Plenty of good wrestling coaches
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

9 years of soft Raider defence. What did he bring to the side in terms of defensive outcomes? Sounds like another of the 'good blokes' but this is professional sport. Results should matter. I think he will enjoy an early 'mad monday' with the dogs.
zilhouse
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Alan tongue

Post by zilhouse »

I think he's a lot better than you guys are giving him credit for
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Actually met this bloke at a community touch game that Blake Austin organised. He said that he didn’t only handled defence from contact to play the ball. Really nice guy, seemed very intelligent. Seems like he did the full preseason here though so can’t be too much of a loss at this timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

zilhouse wrote: March 8, 2019, 8:12 pm I think he's a lot better than you guys are giving him credit for
Spot on mate Steve did a lot of work behind the scenes too that helped a lot of the players.

A lot of the comments are ill-informed.
Jackbequick
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Ken Negas

Post by Jackbequick »

I've done some wrestling and don't think I would have the slightest clue how to adapt it to footy. I don't think you can just be any old wrestler off the street, even a good one. I'd say you'd need to know how to apply it to footy. I checked out steve babic's instagram page. From the comments left it looks like the players really respected him. But, preseason is over - moving forward and onwards- go green machine!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I taught Mrs PJ how to wrestle..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

He's the bloke I asked to speak to Russell at last year's fan day about nutrition and eating more vegetables.

Russell's still not convinced.

Logically, he deserves to be moved on.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

hrundi89 wrote: March 12, 2019, 8:47 am He's the bloke I asked to speak to Russell at last year's fan day about nutrition and eating more vegetables.

Russell's still not convinced.

Logically, he deserves to be moved on.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Solid reasoning
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

I’m surprised at the amount of support Babic is getting. He’s clearly done more than what I appreciated at face value. That’s on me for not knowing.

In saying that - it’s worth remembering that there is only one member of this coaching staff that is untouchable/irreplaceable - the great man Rick.

As long as he isn’t poached by one of the other clubs, we are in safe hands!!!