Canberra Raiders back NRL integrity unit taking over player punishment

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders back NRL integrity unit taking over player punishment

Post by greeneyed »

Something awry with NRL's salary cap compensation

The NRL is contemplating giving greater salary cap compensation for players stood down while facing serious criminal charges than they give for players injured while representing their country.

The NRL has offered the Raiders a cut of $350,000 in salary cap compensation for Jordan Rapana, injured while playing for New Zealand, He must miss the opening 12 weeks of the upcoming season and $350,000 is the maximum relief for a $1 million per season player. The Raiders might get $200,000 relief for Rapana. Meanwhile, there are reports the Dragons will get $600,000 in salary cap relief if Jack de Belin's stood down, the full amount of his salary.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 510ct.html
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Something awry with NRL's salary cap compensation

Post by Johno »

Beggars belief
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I can accept the relief, even if I don't agree with it, but it should be pro-rated and have the same position restrictions.

And they should fix the rep one so the off-season counts as at least some missed time.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I agree with giving cap relief to players stood down for misbehaving but the article is spot on. To give 100% credit for a player breaking the law but only 35% for a player injured in rep footy is totally ****-about. Fairly typical of the NRL though.

Maybe we can exploit it. We can EDIT the sign Shaun Johnson with the cash freed up.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Completely unsurprising sadly.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

EDIT
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

It just seams like the NRL is shooting from the hip now with no real plan for the future. The future looks bleak

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

LastRaider wrote: February 26, 2019, 5:06 pm It just seams like the NRL is shooting from the hip now with no real plan for the future. The future looks bleak

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
So, business as usual then?
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Post by Goldcoast Raider »

Can someone send this article to Paul Kent, I would but wouldn’t have a clue how to do it 🤪, at least he will bring some light to it on NRL 360 with a million people watching
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I think Players should be stood down on pay while facing these kinds of serious charges.
Why in the world would anyone have a problem with the club being able to go and replace the player?
So the team has to run a player short in their roster, as what, some kind of punishment for having a player charged?
It makes total sense to make the player exempt from the cap during the period they are stood down on pay!
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas

Sorry lol I would but I’m a dumb ass
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

Surely they amend the rep relief one at the same time? Still dont agree with the bad behaviour bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

EDIT
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Beejay wrote: February 26, 2019, 5:27 pm I think Players should be stood down on pay while facing these kinds of serious charges.
Why in the world would anyone have a problem with the club being able to go and replace the player?
So the team has to run a player short in their roster, as what, some kind of punishment for having a player charged?
It makes total sense to make the player exempt from the cap during the period they are stood down on pay!
So what happens if DeBelin comes back mid year and the Dragons have an extra 600k player on their books already?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I hate the NRL

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Yet another example of how bad the nrl are at scenario planning.

Year after year people on this site raise potential issues about an NRL policy and then the Commission are suddenly shocked when X, Y and Z happens and the foreseeable, suddenly becomes reality.

The GH is the Nostradamus of rugby league. Or possibly the one eyed Raiders fan is king in the land of the blind.
Last edited by BJ on February 26, 2019, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

edwahu wrote: February 26, 2019, 5:48 pm
Beejay wrote: February 26, 2019, 5:27 pm I think Players should be stood down on pay while facing these kinds of serious charges.
So what happens if DeBelin comes back mid year and the Dragons have an extra 600k player on their books already?
Would make it very complicated. Like most of this subject is.
However consider for a moment the only way that could happen; the Police drop the charges.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Beejay wrote: February 26, 2019, 6:32 pm
Would make it very complicated. Like most of this subject is.
However consider for a moment the only way that could happen; the Police drop the charges.
or he is found not guilty
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

So a club is better off with somebody accused of a serious crime rather than a injury to a player in an international game. Surely this is a joke.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: February 26, 2019, 4:44 pm I agree with giving cap relief to players stood down for misbehaving but the article is spot on. To give 100% credit for a player breaking the law but only 35% for a player injured in rep footy is totally ****-about. Fairly typical of the NRL though.

Maybe we can exploit it. We can EDIT the sign Shaun Johnson with the cash freed up.
yeah thats exactly my spot
I think cap relief for players being stood down for misbehaving is important, you cant expect the clubs or league to adequately handle these players unless you give the clubs the ability to compete without them.

But if you're going down the path of cap relief, and you're going to give it to players who are in strife, you have to at least make the concession that players injured in the course of their **** job, promoting the game, by playing international football, should also get it

Not like you're taking on a lot of risk of abuse, players injured in rep games are not the dudes teams will be fudging medicals on to obtain cap relief! They're their best players!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The contract of the person replacing him would have to be written in a way that it is not guaranteed. Simple.
Then if DeBelin comes back, they have the flexibility to manage their cap...

That's the nature of the situation. The contracts signed have to reflect the volatility of the situation.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

magoo wrote:So a club is better off with somebody accused of a serious crime rather than a injury to a player in an international game. Surely this is a joke.
This is the long and short of it. Your club is better off if you do a rape than an ACL.
No compensation. No extra incentive to rehire bad eggs.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah. That's really ****.
It's a huge **** error in policy when it is a competitive advantage to have a player accused of rape, rather than do a major injury representing their country.
Last edited by Botman on February 26, 2019, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Even funnier if it happened playing for us.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

zim wrote: February 26, 2019, 7:24 pm
magoo wrote:So a club is better off with somebody accused of a serious crime rather than a injury to a player in an international game. Surely this is a joke.
This is the long and short of it. Your club is better off if you do a rape than an ACL.
Hold on your horses moochacho.
WorkChoice
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

LP Raider wrote:
Hold on your horses moochacho.
No horses either.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Quite right. Its greatly reducing the risk for clubs to sign players with questionable histories.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Can we get some retrospective cap relief for all the **** Todd Carney pulled?

Might be able to squeeze about 800k
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The fact that we are even having this conversation speaks volume about the NRL.

How many sports codes are there where players being stood down after being charged is so common that the question of compenaation even arises as an issue???

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

I think it's remarkable that Greenberg has managed to **** up things even more than David Gallop has done at the FFA.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: February 26, 2019, 7:53 pm The fact that we are even having this conversation speaks volume about the NRL.

How many sports codes are there where players being stood down after being charged is so common that the question of compenaation even arises as an issue???
The NFL :lol:
Not great, bob.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

So reading between the lines here the NRL has demanded that the Dragons stand down De Belin because they're getting heat, and somehow the Dragons have backed the NRL into a corner on the issue and have some kind of recourse and the NRL has come up with this doozy to appease them. Any other ideas?
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Apparently the Roosters led the charge for salary cap relief if players were stood down, and it was backed by others.
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas

greeneyed wrote: February 26, 2019, 8:28 pm Apparently the Roosters led the charge for salary cap relief if players were stood down, and it was backed by others.
Didn’t they just get rid of all there screw ups 🤔
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Goldcoast Raider wrote: February 26, 2019, 8:53 pm
greeneyed wrote: February 26, 2019, 8:28 pm Apparently the Roosters led the charge for salary cap relief if players were stood down, and it was backed by others.
Didn’t they just get rid of all there screw ups 🤔
If you're based in the eastern suburbs you're going to have plenty more.