Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Re: Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

Post by Wiki Special »

PigRickman - will have to disagree with your comment above regarding the kicking game of Johns. If you ever rewatch the 2001 GF Johns kicking game wins Newcastle the match. Exactly like Stuart in th 1990 GF.
edwahu

Re: Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

Post by edwahu »

Northern Raider wrote: July 24, 2019, 8:32 am Hasn't this thread gone a little off course. :lol:
At least it beats the course every other thread on here ends up taking.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

edwahu wrote: July 24, 2019, 9:07 am
Northern Raider wrote: July 24, 2019, 8:32 am Hasn't this thread gone a little off course. :lol:
At least it beats the course every other thread on here ends up taking.
I think with Williams coming in we should offload Croker....
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: July 24, 2019, 8:25 am I don't disagree Johns was better, but Stuart played less rep footy then he should've because of the QLD selection block repeatedly pushing for Langer's selection over him for Australia and of course due to Super League rep bans.

For starters Stuart likely wouldve been halfback for NSW and Australia in 95 and John's nowhere near rep footy which swaps 3 Origin games and an entire world cup. That already brings the numbers closer together.

Same goes for players like Mullins and Furner who missed a huge amount of rep footy because of the bans. The selection of players was also heavily influenced for a long time after the bans and the bias against Superleague players that persisted for years afterwards.
Absolutely. The same for Sterling and Mortimer. Stuart V Langer. Sterling V Mortimer. Great halves fighting each other for rep honours. No wonder their numbers are lower! Sterling should be on the top five lists BTW.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

For anyone here saying that they believe Johns was better than Stuart (and it seems to me this is largely the younger guys), when was the last time you saw Stuart play? Have you watched any replays recently or are you going soley off your memory? Because if it's the latter, I highly recommend you go back and watch a game or two on youtube (not just highlights) from the 94 season.

There was one or two full Raiders games from that era kicking around last time I checked.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Wiki Special wrote: July 24, 2019, 8:49 am PigRickman - will have to disagree with your comment above regarding the kicking game of Johns. If you ever rewatch the 2001 GF Johns kicking game wins Newcastle the match. Exactly like Stuart in th 1990 GF.
Stuart's kicking game was unparalleled in basically every game he played. Johns had a very good kicking game but it was not as consistently excellent as Stuart's
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: July 24, 2019, 10:18 am
Wiki Special wrote: July 24, 2019, 8:49 am PigRickman - will have to disagree with your comment above regarding the kicking game of Johns. If you ever rewatch the 2001 GF Johns kicking game wins Newcastle the match. Exactly like Stuart in th 1990 GF.
Stuart's kicking game was unparalleled in basically every game he played. Johns had a very good kicking game but it was not as consistently excellent as Stuart's
Not even close. Stuart's amazing passing game is criminally under-remembered by history too.

The only facets Johns has him on is his running game and defence, but Ricky Stuart was no slouch on either of those abilities either, considering the halfback didn't even defend in the line for most of his career.
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

Also I think people are selling short some of Joey's team mates saying Ricky had far superior weapons outside him. Ours were better but knights were no slouch.

Having rudder at 6 meant he played both sides, centres and wingers were matt Gidley, tahu, hughes, Albert and Robbie O at the back, plenty of guys to hit there

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

Just checked in 2001 they had MacDougal instead of Albert

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Bennyinthewest wrote: July 24, 2019, 11:30 am Also I think people are selling short some of Joey's team mates saying Ricky had far superior weapons outside him. Ours were better but knights were no slouch.

Having rudder at 6 meant he played both sides, centres and wingers were matt Gidley, tahu, hughes, Albert and Robbie O at the back, plenty of guys to hit there

Tahu, Gidley, Robbie O'Roids, McDougall, Buderus, Parsons, Kennedy and Steve Simpson were in that 2001 GF team.
It's utter bollocks to say Johns had trash around him. That's a star studded line up

the '97 team wasn't that great, but it also won half a comp, and that half of the league was objectively lower quality. That knights team doesnt make the top 4 in the SL imo.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

PigRickman wrote: July 24, 2019, 10:18 am
I'm not saying Johns had a better kicking game than Stuart but I am saying both had elite kicking games. In my opinion, saying 'very good' when talking Johns is selling him short.

Others obviously disagree.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: July 24, 2019, 11:42 am
Bennyinthewest wrote: July 24, 2019, 11:30 am Also I think people are selling short some of Joey's team mates saying Ricky had far superior weapons outside him. Ours were better but knights were no slouch.

Tahu, Gidley, Robbie O'Roids, McDougall, Buderus, Parsons, Kennedy and Steve Simpson were in that 2001 GF team.
It's utter bollocks to say Johns had trash around him. That's a star studded line up

the '97 team wasn't that great, but it also won half a comp, and that half of the league was objectively lower quality. That knights team doesnt make the top 4 in the SL imo.
You guys are both right, but come on now. In the immortal words of Matt's Matchups:

Belcher/Mullins - O'Davis
Nagas/Chicka/Nadruku - McDougall/Tahu/Albert
Meninga/Croker/Daley/Wiki - Hughes/Matt Gidley
Steve Walters - Buderus
Daley - Kurt Gidley/Sean **** Rudder

None of these skins are remotely even **** close either haha
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: July 24, 2019, 12:02 pm

You guys are both right, but come on now. In the immortal words of Matt's Matchups:

Steve Walters - Buderus

They're definitely not. That 94 team was the best team ever established imo, including the cheating storm
But it's just not right or fair to say Johns carried bums. Those dudes were not bums.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

We now have to go back 3 pages of the George Williams thread to find any mention of George Williams.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Long may it reign
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The Rickman wrote: July 24, 2019, 10:12 am For anyone here saying that they believe Johns was better than Stuart (and it seems to me this is largely the younger guys), when was the last time you saw Stuart play? Have you watched any replays recently or are you going soley off your memory? Because if it's the latter, I highly recommend you go back and watch a game or two on youtube (not just highlights) from the 94 season.

There was one or two full Raiders games from that era kicking around last time I checked.
He was even better in 93.

Until THAT INJURY...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: July 24, 2019, 3:01 pm We now have to go back 3 pages of the George Williams thread to find any mention of George Williams.
Not any more.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: July 24, 2019, 3:27 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 24, 2019, 3:01 pm We now have to go back 3 pages of the George Williams thread to find any mention of George Williams.
Not any more.
wait, what?

dammit :rant
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote: July 24, 2019, 3:24 pm
The Rickman wrote: July 24, 2019, 10:12 am For anyone here saying that they believe Johns was better than Stuart (and it seems to me this is largely the younger guys), when was the last time you saw Stuart play? Have you watched any replays recently or are you going soley off your memory? Because if it's the latter, I highly recommend you go back and watch a game or two on youtube (not just highlights) from the 94 season.

He was even better in 93.

Until THAT INJURY...
He actually was. We didn't win the comp so people forget it, but Stuart in 1993 was a good a season from a halfback as you'll ever see. Dally M and Rothmans Medal winner. He really was a class above the comp that year. Followed it up in '94 and '95.

Daley was my favourite player and Meninga is a legend, but in reality Stuart was the driving force behind our team in 89-95.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Yep..

Stick walked on water in 1993.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

So the Raiders should dump Williams before the ink is dry and resign golden era R. Stuart?

(who by the way I watched from '89 on and he was streets ahead of anyone else in his era- Langer was a 1 trick gnome- and better than Joey too)
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

Northern Raider wrote:We now have to go back 3 pages of the George Williams thread to find any mention of George Williams.
George Williams.... nah mate we are talking about Andrew johns in here

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

thedevilingreen wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:We now have to go back 3 pages of the George Williams thread to find any mention of George Williams.

George Williams is already being talked about in the same breath as Andrew Johns!

This is truly a golden era for the Raiders.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

thedevilingreen wrote: July 25, 2019, 11:43 am
Never heard of him. Is he related to the dude from Silverchair?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No, but he might have met the bloke from Silverchair.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

thedevilingreen wrote: July 25, 2019, 11:43 am

Well... to be fair we were discussing how much of a better player Ricky Stuart was over Andrew Johns

And Frankly, that discussion should be allowed in every single thread on the forum
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Since we’ve got the week off, don’t waste it by playing with your kids or spending time with the significant other. Put it to actual good use.
Watch Wigan V Salford and catch up on new boy George Williams.
He’s been having a belter of a second half to the year since it was made public he’s coming here, and the whole Wigan team is playing better.
The game was on early this morning but you can watch the replay on Kayo now.
During the pregame they did a feature on him breaking down all the parts of his game, and spoiler alert it was a wankfest.
Pretty much on par with my observation from early this year, the guy has ALL the skills and a is a stud. Will just come down to his mental application and desire. But bloke is a proven winner. Back him in.

Look forward to him coming into a premiership winning team to go back to back.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Yeah, the overreactions to his slow start to the year have proven to be just that. He is a really quality player from what I can see, there are not many NRL halves I would take before him given what's available.

The only query left would be his defense at NRL level.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Week off, time to clean behind the fridge.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

The Rickman wrote: July 24, 2019, 12:02 pm

Steve Walters - Buderus

Nobody can argue that - geez we had some players back then!
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

edwahu wrote: September 21, 2019, 10:00 am Yeah, the overreactions to his slow start to the year have proven to be just that. He is a really quality player from what I can see, there are not many NRL halves I would take before him given what's available.

The only query left would be his defense at NRL level.
Agreed. And I only saw the last 10 minutes this morning but he certainly was not afraid to put his body in front of the attackers on his line with the Wigan side under heavy pressure.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

reptar wrote: September 21, 2019, 10:01 am Week off, time to clean behind the fridge.
There's no way I'm lookin behind the fridge..
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Yeah he's been bloody impressive lately from what I've seen - seems as though settling his future has completely relaxed him.

Fingers crossed he can translate it over to here, because if he can, we'll have one quality players on our hands.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ill be most curious to see how he goes defensively
If he can provide us an upgrade in creativity and play making in the halves, and be trusted to make tackles the way Sezer is now that would be a massive result for the club
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I'm ok on his defence personally, it should be able to hold up. He's pretty stocky and seems to hit well. Sezer doesn't tend to do much defensive work either - he makes the least amount of tackles and second least amount of 1 on 1 tackles per game out of the 16 regular halfbacks.

I'm more concerned with how things like his short kicking and passing games will hold up, which are a real quality of his over there. He also seems to be a good runner with decent toe, but after seeing how easily Austin's ripped up there I probably won't give that as much weight.