Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

Post by Seiffert82 »

Sid wrote: July 12, 2019, 8:39 am
PigRickman wrote: July 12, 2019, 8:36 am
Seiffert82 wrote: July 12, 2019, 1:58 am
Neeeegz wrote: July 10, 2019, 7:43 am
PigRickman wrote:
Even if your figures are spot on, unless we've got an extra 300k+ sitting around, we arent getting a cup of coffee with TPJ's manager for 450k
Towards it.. I wouldn't go above 650k for tpj on current form, he's not consistent enough yet

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Spot on. Some of the numbers thrown around earlier in the season were outrageous.
You guys can not go above 650k if you like, and the teams you run wont be getting TPJ.
It's that simple.

TPJ is going to get more than that on potential alone. As well he should.
he reportedly got $600k per year over 3 years...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 8eac108037
Whether that's spot on or not, it seems about right for a borderline rep front rower IMO. He's no Jason Taumalolo at this stage - still very inconsistent.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

Post by RedRaider »

TPJ wants to play for Tonga so his Rep career will be limited and not involve Origin. Fair enough - play where your heart tells you to. We all saw his potential in the lower grades with the Raiders. But converting that potential into being a dominant FG player is something a lot of players have promised but not delivered on - Shannon Boyd had one great season and then...

I've not seen George Williams play but it never hurts to have a current International join the Raiders squad. I'm glad Sticky has spoken to the current halves. There is season 2019 still to complete.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I would've thought if recent history has taught us a couple of things, it's that forwards are very expendable and we shouldn't be taking risks by spruiking big money in that area for potentially fat lazy lumps.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The talent and upside disparity between TPJ and Paulo/Boyd... is significant, to say the least.

But it's a point well made, it's the sort of thing that could easily blow up in your face and given the trejectory the club is on at the moment with it's pack, i can see how the case would be made that the risk is too great given he doesnt fill a major need and there are some... troubling areas that might need an upgrade to take us where we want to go
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Good chance he'll Milford all over the place

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I look forward to hearing from Georgie, along with an interpreter of course !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

simo wrote:
greeneyed wrote: July 11, 2019, 5:09 pm Memberships without tickets would cost less than $100 from memory... You're basically buying a members merchandise pack. Would make sense to tailor an English members program... even if you sell a smallish number.
Unless they can package it with whatever the english nrl streaming subscription is
Still remember getting my first members pack delivered to London - Made my month.

Similar to nine or fox, you’d be hard pressed to get premier sports to give up their rights or package them up with any expat deals.

Best bet is still the 10am pint at the ol’Walkabout, though even they’re getting scarcer by the year Image

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

Great game from George Williams on Friday morning (Thursday night in the U.K.).

Although Wigan and Williams had a slow start to the season they are now both hitting a rich vein of form.

It will be interesting to see how he plays next year as he predominately operates on the left (like Wighton) but at times can drift over to the right.

He also has a wonderful short kicking game (which really has to be on point in UK as the in-goals are so small).
Last edited by Roy Rover on July 20, 2019, 2:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Roy Rover wrote: July 20, 2019, 1:21 pm Great game from George Williams on Friday morning (Thursday night in the U.K.).

Although Wigan and William's had a slow start to the season they are now both hitting a rich vein of form.

It will be interesting to see how plays next year as he predominately operates on the left (like Wighton) but at times can drift over to the right.

He also has a wonderful short kicking game (which is really has to be on point in UK as the in-goals are so small over there).
Might be a bit relieved and less distracted now all this transfer stuff is announced and out in the open.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

BadnMean wrote: July 20, 2019, 2:18 pm
Roy Rover wrote: July 20, 2019, 1:21 pm Great game from George Williams on Friday morning (Thursday night in the U.K.).

Although Wigan and William's had a slow start to the season they are now both hitting a rich vein of form.

It will be interesting to see how plays next year as he predominately operates on the left (like Wighton) but at times can drift over to the right.

He also has a wonderful short kicking game (which is really has to be on point in UK as the in-goals are so small over there).
Might be a bit relieved and less distracted now all this transfer stuff is announced and out in the open.
The team has taken a long time to extract themselves from the Shaun Wane straitjacket (effective though it was).

Adrian Lam has found his feet and the team has developed a style. Williams appears to be blossoming under Lam and his game is going from strength to strength.
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

What happens if Aiden Sezer kills it for the rest of the year, winning dally m points along the way and the raiders make the GF or win the comp...Who are your halves next season?
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Amazing his attitude adjustment once back on the open market or on the outer. Lets see how he goes against the Rooster or Melbourne come back end. Played well last night as a 600k half should every week reasonably consistently.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

Post by LastRaider »

jimmy82 wrote:What happens if Aiden Sezer kills it for the rest of the year, winning dally m points along the way and the raiders make the GF or win the comp...Who are your halves next season?
Even more reason to let him go. You don’t want players who need incentive all the time to play well. You look at players like Papa who knows he can get a player contract anywhere anytime but still turns up every game and plays consistantly. There the players you want
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

LastRaider wrote: July 21, 2019, 9:20 am
jimmy82 wrote:What happens if Aiden Sezer kills it for the rest of the year, winning dally m points along the way and the raiders make the GF or win the comp...Who are your halves next season?
Even more reason to let him go. You don’t want players who need incentive all the time to play well. You look at players like Papa who knows he can get a player contract anywhere anytime but still turns up every game and plays consistantly. There the players you want
More to the point Sezer still has 12 months to go on his contract. If he's killing it we won't have an issue finding another club willing to take on his current deal.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

You don’t think it was potentially Hodgson stifling his game, maybe they have actually figured out how to best use Sezer?
I don’t think he’s never not tried, just the game plan around the 6, 9 and 7 was always wrong. The last two weeks has shown he is clearly superior to Williams in both attack and defence. I think they have finally figured out how to gel. Each person knows their role
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I'll be interested to see him over the coming weeks against tougher opposition, but it's starting to look pretty clear that the muppet is putting in 100% only because he knows he's on the chopping block and each game is an audition - therefore basically confirming he's been phoning it in for most of the last three years. Might also explain why he's been able to get up against the Dogs so often. That doesn't change his talent ceiling, which is still low, but when he's at his best he's potentially a mid-range NRL half, instead of the bottom rung one he's been in most of his time here.

Funnily enough, his best season was considered to be 2015, when he was trying to court clubs down south as he'd made it clear he wanted to move. Prior to that I distinctly recall him being ****, so sensing a trend here.... and if so, even more glad that we signed someone to replace him. He can go be Bronson Harrison in the UK Super League.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Bronson Harrison contract years were some of the best phoning it in I've seen

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

The classic last year was Shannon Boyd. Played out of his skin against the Titans, then didn’t do anything after that
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

LastRaider wrote: July 21, 2019, 11:34 am The classic last year was Shannon Boyd. Played out of his skin against the Titans, then didn’t do anything after that
I’ll take Dunamis Lui any day. For cost/return ratio, Lui is all over him.
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue

Post by thedevilingreen »

afgtnk wrote:I'll be interested to see him over the coming weeks against tougher opposition, but it's starting to look pretty clear that the muppet is putting in 100% only because he knows he's on the chopping block and each game is an audition - therefore basically confirming he's been phoning it in for most of the last three years. Might also explain why he's been able to get up against the Dogs so often. That doesn't change his talent ceiling, which is still low, but when he's at his best he's potentially a mid-range NRL half, instead of the bottom rung one he's been in most of his time here.

Funnily enough, his best season was considered to be 2015, when he was trying to court clubs down south as he'd made it clear he wanted to move. Prior to that I distinctly recall him being ****, so sensing a trend here.... and if so, even more glad that we signed someone to replace him. He can go be Bronson Harrison in the UK Super League.
What's up mate the Croker crusade didn't happen go back to the familiar punching bag. Head up champion one of those blows will land eventually

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

:lol: that’s a hell of a post from ajdhdjdja
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

PigRickman wrote: July 21, 2019, 2:49 pm :lol: that’s a hell of a post from ajdhdjdja
He is a bit like those Lee Childs novels, same story infinitely repeated with just a name and place change. Boring as all hell and a complete waste of the readers time.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote::lol: that’s a hell of a post from ajdhdjdja
No point changing a winning formula at this point of your career
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Cranky Old Man wrote:
PigRickman wrote: July 21, 2019, 2:49 pm Image that’s a hell of a post from ajdhdjdja
He is a bit like those Lee Childs novels, same story infinitely repeated with just a name and place change. Boring as all hell and a complete waste of the readers time.
If Tom Cruise plays abahaagsjd in the movie, it'll be even worse

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote:
Cranky Old Man wrote:
PigRickman wrote: July 21, 2019, 2:49 pm Image that’s a hell of a post from ajdhdjdja
If Tom Cruise plays abahaagsjd in the movie, it'll be even worse

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Tom Cruise, really?

Strikes me more of a good Danny De Vito cast
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Blogger »

Pointed comment from Josh Hodgson last night on the Matty Johns Sunday Night show. When asked about George Williams he highlighted that he has a great short kicking game and then added that this is an area - getting repeat sets - where we have not been good enough.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

afgtnk wrote: July 21, 2019, 10:48 am I'll be interested to see him over the coming weeks against tougher opposition, but it's starting to look pretty clear that the muppet is putting in 100% only because he knows he's on the chopping block and each game is an audition - therefore basically confirming he's been phoning it in for most of the last three years. Might also explain why he's been able to get up against the Dogs so often. That doesn't change his talent ceiling, which is still low, but when he's at his best he's potentially a mid-range NRL half, instead of the bottom rung one he's been in most of his time here.

Aiden Sezer's stats back up this assessment.
In 2015 he was told he wasn't required at the Titans. That year he had career high for Try assists (0.5 pg) and Line break assists (0.66 pg), when you combine the two stats together he's doubling every other year in first grade. Others like tries, and linebreaks he is high on, but had his best year in 2016 - his first with us.

2019 he was behind Sam Williams for creative stats at the beginning of the year, and then amazingly over the last 6 games he's now made a 60% improvement on his best year for try assists, doubled his next best for linebreaks, 2nd best ever for line break assists, and best year for tries.

Masterstroke by Ricky to tell him he's not wanted.
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

Green Blogger wrote: July 22, 2019, 1:27 pm Pointed comment from Josh Hodgson last night on the Matty Johns Sunday Night show. When asked about George Williams he highlighted that he has a great short kicking game and then added that this is an area - getting repeat sets - where we have not been good enough.
Yep, I picked that up too. Wonder if Sezer was watching the show?

Incidentally, Matty Johns also said that Stick was the best player he ever played against...high praise indeed.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

amiafish wrote: July 22, 2019, 5:34 pm
Green Blogger wrote: July 22, 2019, 1:27 pm Pointed comment from Josh Hodgson last night on the Matty Johns Sunday Night show. When asked about George Williams he highlighted that he has a great short kicking game and then added that this is an area - getting repeat sets - where we have not been good enough.

Incidentally, Matty Johns also said that Stick was the best player he ever played against...high praise indeed.
He played against his brother, and no lie is spoted.
Dont @ me.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Stuart was arguably the most under-rated halfback to play the game. Our club went to the next level in 1988 when he arrived. His kicking game was phenomenal and he orchestrated the Green Machine attack like a magician. In 1993 we were absolute morals to win the comp until he broke his leg. We had lost something like 1 game in 15 rounds - then he breaks his leg when we flog Parra 68-0 and we comprehensively lose 3 straight games to bow out of the comp in a whimper.

Stuart has never had the recognition he deserves.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 22, 2019, 11:29 pm

Stuart was arguably the most under-rated halfback to play the game. Our club went to the next level in 1988 when he arrived. His kicking game was phenomenal and he orchestrated the Green Machine attack like a magician. In 1993 we were absolute morals to win the comp until he broke his leg. We had lost something like 1 game in 15 rounds - then he breaks his leg when we flog Parra 68-0 and we comprehensively lose 3 straight games to bow out of the comp in a whimper.

Completely agree.
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 22, 2019, 11:29 pm Stuart was arguably the most under-rated halfback to play the game. Our club went to the next level in 1988 when he arrived. His kicking game was phenomenal and he orchestrated the Green Machine attack like a magician. In 1993 we were absolute morals to win the comp until he broke his leg. We had lost something like 1 game in 15 rounds - then he breaks his leg when we flog Parra 68-0 and we comprehensively lose 3 straight games to bow out of the comp in a whimper.

Yep, that inexplicable leg break cost us the 1993 Premiership in all likelihood (IIRC he was just making a routine tackle going backwards and it just snapped).

Agree about the kicking game and generalisimo organisation, but I reckon the biggest thing Ricky brought to the game was his mastery of the long spiral pass, from both sides. There had been players that threw the occasional spiral (usually from right to left...Wally Lewis comes to mind), but Ricky was the first who could change the point of attack from both sides by loading up a 20 metre+ spiral to give his outside men acres of space. He made Lozza and Mal look better than they otherwise would have...notice how their impact was severely dampened when poor old Steve Stone took over in 1993.

There'll probably never be another half like him again, because his era saw the last of the deep-backline structures that rewarded his style of passing game. With the modern obsession with advantage-line passing and post-contact metres, our halves are just shadows of guys like Ricky.

Oh, and Alfie Langer should thank his lucky stars that he kept Ricky out the Australian No. 7 jersey for so long...absolute travesty.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

So why keep reading them?
Cranky Old Man wrote:

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 22, 2019, 11:29 pm

He used to get it. You watch any games from 1994 and guys like Ray Warren and Peter Sterling wax lyrical about how he's the greatest player they've ever seen... the sad thing is though, he gets injured in 96 and people seem to forget about him, and then Channel 9 picked up this weird obsession with Andrew Johns I've never quite understood and... well, you know the rest
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

A lot of people my age (i.e. those who didn't watch Stuart play) like to talk about how Johns was the best 7 ever... but most older friends and colleagues, and a lot of non-Raiders fans included, tell me that Stuart is the GOAT when it comes to halfbacks. From what I've seen in highlights and what I've heard/know about league history, I gotta agree with the older heads. Stuart is the master, Johns is just a student. He's the grandfather of the modern half play.