Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote: July 11, 2019, 11:04 am Jesus that's a **** take on many counts

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
Hahaha it really is, it's just a cacophony of absolute Bull.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Re: Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

Post by Brew »

-PJ- wrote:We can push for a premiership if GWilliams fires..

Is he the missing piece ?

Is this our time ?
No.

We had our time.

We are in a better spot then previous years but I can’t see it. The way the NRL operates we are just a small fish in a big pond.

The only way I could see it is if we had Bellamy as Coach. Imagine what he would do with that squad.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Brew wrote: July 11, 2019, 2:51 pm

Is this our time ?
No.

We had our time.

We are in a better spot then previous years but I can’t see it. The way the NRL operates we are just a small fish in a big pond.

The only way I could see it is if we had Bellamy as Coach. Imagine what he would do with that squad.

Well you can go sit in the corner with dubby.. :)
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Haha dubby and Brew... what a combo
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

A public tar and feathering maybe ??
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Hodgson and Sutton speak on George Williams: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/07 ... -williams/
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 10, 2019, 5:24 pm Just saw the Insta announcement of Georgie boy. Like the look of him. Have had a nose like that in the side since Loz

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He reminds me of Andy Gregory, his nose started at his forehead, good player though.

Loved watching him for the Steelers
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Billy Walker wrote: July 10, 2019, 7:40 pm WiganRaider - is there an increased interest in Raiders games in Pommyland now we have so many internationals running out? Should Donny be looking to the UK for a shorts sponsor?
There definitely is, but it's still very niche.

Rugby League is a minority sport over here (although not in Wigan!) and very small percentage of those fans watch the NRL.

And if you want more than $100 for the sponsorship, I wouldn't bother. I think most NRL games get fewer than 10k viewers.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Memberships without tickets would cost less than $100 from memory... You're basically buying a members merchandise pack. Would make sense to tailor an English members program... even if you sell a smallish number.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: July 11, 2019, 5:09 pm Memberships without tickets would cost less than $100 from memory... You're basically buying a members merchandise pack. Would make sense to tailor an English members program... even if you sell a smallish number.
Unless they can package it with whatever the english nrl streaming subscription is
Dont delete this GE
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The Rickman wrote:Haha dubby and Brew... what a combo
Like you simo and nick? Lol.

Come here Brew.

We're keeping it real

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Halves a problem for the future, by George: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart sat down with both incumbent halfback Aidan Sezer and current understudy Sam Williams on Thursday to let them know exactly where they stood.

"Sammy and Aidan are fighting for their spot there at the moment. I've only just finished a meeting with both boys and they know exactly where they both stand. They're both very important to the squad."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

dubby wrote: July 11, 2019, 5:40 pm

Come here Brew.

We're keeping it real

Dont bring me into it you sad ****
Dont delete this GE
WiganRaider
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: John Bateman

Post by WiganRaider »

Billy Walker wrote: July 10, 2019, 7:40 pm WiganRaider - is there an increased interest in Raiders games in Pommyland now we have so many internationals running out? Should Donny be looking to the UK for a shorts sponsor?
Absolutely, especially from us Wiganers considering 3 of our lads have come across to the Raiders.

I have always watched the NRL but because more English lads are playing there is 100% more interest. I really hope Callum Watkins goes well for GCT too, there more guys get regular game time in the NRL the better they will become and hopefully we will eventually be able to beat you lot at international level!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Neeeegz wrote: July 10, 2019, 7:43 am
PigRickman wrote:
Neeeegz wrote: July 9, 2019, 6:57 pm
zim wrote:I think Luke took a "dud" deal this year in the hopes of re-signing for more. Whether dud means close to min wage.... I don't see him leaving as freeing up much.
I remember the 200k figure being thrown around at the time of his extension, so it'll save us around 100k in the cap if we give a low wage player say 105k to replace him in the 30

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Even if your figures are spot on, unless we've got an extra 300k+ sitting around, we arent getting a cup of coffee with TPJ's manager for 450k
Towards it.. I wouldn't go above 650k for tpj on current form, he's not consistent enough yet

Spot on. Some of the numbers thrown around earlier in the season were outrageous.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

dubby wrote:

Come here Brew.

We're keeping it real

Yep. Everyone hates a realist.

In Ricky We Trust
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 12, 2019, 1:58 am
PigRickman wrote:
Neeeegz wrote: July 9, 2019, 6:57 pm
zim wrote:I think Luke took a "dud" deal this year in the hopes of re-signing for more. Whether dud means close to min wage.... I don't see him leaving as freeing up much.
I remember the 200k figure being thrown around at the time of his extension, so it'll save us around 100k in the cap if we give a low wage player say 105k to replace him in the 30

Even if your figures are spot on, unless we've got an extra 300k+ sitting around, we arent getting a cup of coffee with TPJ's manager for 450k
Towards it.. I wouldn't go above 650k for tpj on current form, he's not consistent enough yet

Spot on. Some of the numbers thrown around earlier in the season were outrageous.
You guys can not go above 650k if you like, and the teams you run wont be getting TPJ.
It's that simple.

TPJ is going to get more than that on potential alone. As well he should.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

PigRickman wrote: July 12, 2019, 8:36 am
Seiffert82 wrote: July 12, 2019, 1:58 am
PigRickman wrote:
Neeeegz wrote: July 9, 2019, 6:57 pm I remember the 200k figure being thrown around at the time of his extension, so it'll save us around 100k in the cap if we give a low wage player say 105k to replace him in the 30

You guys can not go above 650k if you like, and the teams you run wont be getting TPJ.
It's that simple.

TPJ is going to get more than that on potential alone. As well he should.
he reportedly got $600k per year over 3 years...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 8eac108037
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

:lol: Yeah that's not going to be TPJ's take home pay in Brisbane. I think we all know that.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

WiganRaider wrote: July 12, 2019, 1:08 am
Absolutely, especially from us Wiganers considering 3 of our lads have come across to the Raiders.

I have always watched the NRL but because more English lads are playing there is 100% more interest. I really hope Callum Watkins goes well for GCT too, there more guys get regular game time in the NRL the better they will become and hopefully we will eventually be able to beat you lot at international level!
Cheers Wigan - do you guys still play that other game, what’s it called... cricket? Interest has really died off in it over here over the last few year, not even sure we still field a side and wouldn’t imagine they would be much good if we did.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Brew wrote: July 12, 2019, 8:13 am
dubby wrote:

Come here Brew.

We're keeping it real

Yep. Everyone hates a realist.

You spelt that last word slightly wrong then.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

PigRickman wrote:Image Yeah that's not going to be TPJ's take home pay in Brisbane. I think we all know that.
I'd love to know how that ended up. They were very willing to see him leave when million dollar figures were being bandied about.

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: July 12, 2019, 10:39 am
PigRickman wrote:Image Yeah that's not going to be TPJ's take home pay in Brisbane. I think we all know that.
I'd love to know how that ended up. They were very willing to see him leave when million dollar figures were being bandied about.

You’re our man for boots on the ground reporting for the broncos
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

PigRickman wrote:
T_R wrote: July 12, 2019, 10:39 am

You’re our man for boots on the ground reporting for the broncos
Very infrequently, I'm afraid.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

dubby wrote:
-PJ- wrote:
dubby wrote: July 10, 2019, 4:36 pm

Is this our time ?
No.

Hope this helps.

Why ?

Who do we need dubby ?

I haven't heard much about him to be fair. But he's a serious upgrade on what we have right ?
I mean, come on..he's a test player. So we get him here in Nov for one of our"toughest pre seasons ever" and see how it goes..

With Croker, Wighton, Cotric, Leilua, Rapana, Bateman, Whitehead, Hodgson, Papalii and co we have a serious roster assembled.

I wish Georgie all the best, and I hope he steps up and leads us well...
Peej, we just aren't there yet.

I'll admit I don't know enough about Georgie Porgie. I'll be surprised if he's in the class of Cronk, JT, even Pearce, DCE and Morgan. My guess is he's probably on par with Sezer. Hope I'm wrong.

Mate.

We're just not a club with a winning culture. We just aren't. That takes time. And complete chance. The storm were kicked in the bum when they got Smith, Cronk, Slater and GI.

That'll never happen again.

And they cheated to keep them.

Until we get a freak, we'll always amount to "could have been ".

Sorry dude, but our spine sucks. It's crap. Hodgo is good, Jack is McCrone mark 2, samari pizza cat is solid but no more, #7 has sucked since the coach played.

Rapana is almost 30, BJ is busted, and we've relied on individual brilliance a lot since 2016.

That's not enough.

We'll have our moments.

We'll have hope.

But it's all meaningless.

Whilst I am not here to argue that we are a definite chance your argument that you need a winning culture is flawed. The sharks won in 2016 after having 5 pretty ordinary seasons before hand. Twice missing out on the 8 ( 1 of those years a wooden spoon) and 3 times limping in.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

PigRickman wrote: July 12, 2019, 9:02 am :lol: Yeah that's not going to be TPJ's take home pay in Brisbane. I think we all know that.
I agree with that, I thought the 'not go above 650k' comment was referring to the salary cap price, not the total price
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sid wrote: July 12, 2019, 2:07 pm
PigRickman wrote: July 12, 2019, 9:02 am :lol: Yeah that's not going to be TPJ's take home pay in Brisbane. I think we all know that.
I agree with that, I thought the 'not go above 650k' comment was referring to the salary cap price, not the total price
Yeah but there isnt much of a chance for our club to get him on a deal that nets him only 650k on the cap. We'd nee 200k of TPA's lined up to make that work, which would double the TPA's we have on the books right now according to that NRL release earlier this year
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Off to the Old Dart

Aidan Sezer is on the verge of farewelling the NRL to finish his career in the UK Super League. Huddersfield are in negotiations to prize the Canberra playmaker out of the ACT, where he has struggled for a permanent role in first grade.

Read more: https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... awhykkk6/1
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Not sure I trust Sporting News with "leaks" like this. They get it wrong so often.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

George Williams reveals how he's feeling about his move to the Canberra Raiders

New Raiders recruit George Williams is looking forward to coming Down Under and testing himself in the NRL - something that's always been a goal. And he doesn't mind if he's in jersey six or seven.

"I don't mind. I'll play either or. I need to prove myself in training first, I can't be thinking I'm going to be picked," Williams said. "I've played both. I know I play six for Wigan, but they're pretty similar roles nowadays. There's not too much of a difference.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: July 12, 2019, 3:49 pm Not sure I trust Sporting News with "leaks" like this. They get it wrong so often.
Hahaha I was thinking the same thing. They're up there with the **** Lurker.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: July 12, 2019, 3:49 pm Not sure I trust Sporting News with "leaks" like this. They get it wrong so often.
True but someone has to go.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Both journo and editing staff don't know the difference between prise and prize- there's no danger of any Pulitzers being handed out.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

You don’t think that’s a prise they’ll win any time soon?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

gangrenous wrote: July 12, 2019, 8:26 pm You don’t think that’s a prise they’ll win any time soon?
There'd be a high price to pay if they did.