Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

Post by Sid »

PigRickman wrote: July 9, 2019, 11:16 am Re: George, i've only seen highlights but what comes up time and time again on those highlights:

- good and willing support player, sort of right place right time player
- looks to have a good and creative short kicking game
- have a very nice cut out ball to his winger in his repertoire
- lively ball runner
as for kicking game we need this most
Wighton and Hodgson have been shown to be good long - mid range general play kickers, not so much the short stuff

Edit
additionally
outside of those things defence is important, though probably hard to gauge how good/bad his defense is going by the Super League
Last edited by Sid on July 9, 2019, 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

Post by Botman »

Agreed Sid, if he comes here and solves our issues with kicking inside the red zone, it'll go a LONG LONG way to overcoming some of our issues.
I thought Sezer was going to be that guy and he hasnt gotten close. Hopefully George finally solves it
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

If anything, Jack Wighton has the best short kicking game at the club right now... it really has developed better than I'd thought it would.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: July 9, 2019, 11:21 am If anything, Jack Wighton has the best short kicking game at the club right now... it really has developed better than I'd thought it would.
Yeah, it's him with probably Bateman second haha
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams

Post by zim »

PigRickman wrote: July 9, 2019, 11:14 am
zim wrote: July 9, 2019, 10:16 am
PigRickman wrote: July 9, 2019, 8:33 am FWIW i wont be shocked if both Sezer and Sam williams are at other clubs next year and our first choice back up is either Hingano or a very cheap recruit like the above mentioned Cust, Brock Lamb or even Lachlin Croker who i think has developed at manly into a pretty reasonable back up half

People will say why not just keep Sam? And the simple answer i would bet he's way more money than you'd think. I bet someone like Cust for $150k would represent a major salary cap savings on Williams as a back up
Cust would be great but he seems ready for the step up. Not sure he'd be ok with another backup role. Seems like he could push Elgey out as preferred DCE partner. Doesn't hurt to ask though.
Croker has been playing a lot better but he is always just one wet track away from 6 weeks out.
Lamb would be dirt cheap.
Probably right on Cust, if not Manly, someone will give him a genuine shot to a FG that wont be here in front of George or Jack
You're right about Croker and his injuries but putting that aside, it's a local kid who we can probably get back cheaply and i thought he showed some real development in the period DCE was out
There is a bunch of Knights halves i get confused in my head, was Lamb the one who was pretty solid defender but just had no real creativity or ability as a ball player? Or was he Lamb the other one who couldnt tackle at all?
Lamb is a solid defender. He had one great half season at the knights where it looked like he was going to kick on to something. Then they signed Pearce and with that news Lamb's form went straight out the window and never came back.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dusty wrote: July 9, 2019, 10:54 am
greeneyed wrote:Brendan O’Hagan and Toby Westcott? But they’re not from Queensland.

Cooper Bambling was... but left last year.
I was thinking Westcott, not sure why I thought he was from QLD?!?

Either one of those two would be decent depth

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Westcott comes from Orange originally.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

George Williams officially to join Canberra Raiders

The Canberra Raiders have unveiled England playmaker George Williams as a recruit after he left his UK Super League club on Tuesday morning. It could mean at least one of Hingano, Sam Williams or Sezer will leave, but the club is keen to re-sign Sam Williams.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/raiders-si ... aa1cf50a92
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

35% of all kicks in play retained by a teammate...
That’s such a weird stat I don’t know what to make of it !
Backs up the good kicking game I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Beejay on July 9, 2019, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

good short kicking game, rarely kicks long?

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm very pleased to hear the club wants to keep Sam Williams. He's the best back up half in the business and can do a job in firsts in the event of injuries. I know he'd prefer to play firsts full time... but he's a very valuable member of the squad as one of the top three halves.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: July 9, 2019, 11:54 am I'm very pleased to hear the club wants to keep Sam Williams. He's the best back up half in the business and can do a job in firsts in the event of injuries. I know he'd prefer to play firsts full time... but he's a very valuable member of the squad as one of the top three halves.
Would love to keep him, but the question has to be asked that if he is clearly a first drop player (which he will be next year), what is he worth? I would imagine (and I cant argue with the logic) that he would be the best paid first drop half in the league. If we can recruit someone like a Lamb/Croker for significantly less, that may top up a Rapana contract, or release enough to bring in a TPJ style player.

If those are the options, I would be willing to help decorate the farewell party.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Re: Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams

Post by Botman »

zim wrote: July 9, 2019, 11:27 am Lamb is a solid defender. He had one great half season at the knights where it looked like he was going to kick on to something.
Good i got this one right! haha
If he was cheaper, id go Lamb over Sam Williams. If we have an injury in the halves, i want the dude coming in to know how to defend. If George Williams is a hit, we'll have enough creativity to carry a defence first half when Wighton is playing origin.
If Georgey boy stinks, there aint nothing Sam or Brock can do to salvage it, so go cheap
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Coastalraider wrote: July 9, 2019, 12:10 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 9, 2019, 11:54 am I'm very pleased to hear the club wants to keep Sam Williams. He's the best back up half in the business and can do a job in firsts in the event of injuries. I know he'd prefer to play firsts full time... but he's a very valuable member of the squad as one of the top three halves.
Would love to keep him, but the question has to be asked that if he is clearly a first drop player (which he will be next year), what is he worth? I would imagine (and I cant argue with the logic) that he would be the best paid first drop half in the league. If we can recruit someone like a Lamb/Croker for significantly less, that may top up a Rapana contract, or release enough to bring in a TPJ style player.

If those are the options, I would be willing to help decorate the farewell party.
Agreed. I have to worry there's a bit of the old brigade, good Canberra boy nepotism going on with Sam. I would imagine he's on overs.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

If your Sezer or Sam your heading back to the UK to try and cash in. Re sign Sam on nothing or Hingano who probably deserves a crack. Lock in one of our young halves on a development and play them in cup for a year. Should free up some cash! Would hate to waste it on players who are not up to it like Lamb.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I've heard there's big wraps on Toby Westcott, so he might be promoted into the 30 as Mounties half

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Maybe they’ll look at Hodgson as a back up half and upgrade Starling?

In Ricky We Trust
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Ditto. I don't think we're getting enough value out of Sezer for what he seems to be getting paid. Williams is the budget-friendly half who slots in seamlessly whenever there's an injury. Hingano is probably on his way out.

Raiders will have to let at least one, if not two, halves go seeing as they've had to pay Wigan a transfer fee and then his actual salary. That's a lot of pressure on the budget before you even get to salary cap issues. Alternatively, maybe release a half and someone who hasn't gotten any NRL game time this season for whatever reason, like Luke Bateman.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

makes sense that the club have probably known they'd keep Williams and not Sezer, could be one part of why he was being picked ahead of Sezer for a while there for team development and combinations.

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I think Luke took a "dud" deal this year in the hopes of re-signing for more. Whether dud means close to min wage.... I don't see him leaving as freeing up much.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'He has always been at the top': Canberra Raiders recruit George Williams tipped to thrive

Ryan Sutton should have known it would happen this way. Because George Williams has been there for every step of Sutton's journey, from junior football to winning Super League titles with Wigan.

"We've played together, gone through the academy together. He's always been an outstanding player, he has always been at the top.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

Williams joins UK squeeze in nation's capital: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/09/wil ... s-capital/
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

zim wrote: July 9, 2019, 4:22 pm I think Luke took a "dud" deal this year in the hopes of re-signing for more. Whether dud means close to min wage.... I don't see him leaving as freeing up much.
Frees up a low wage spot for somebody with more potential which is quite valuable imo
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Welcome to the raiders GW. I wish you all the best!

Hint: Sezer, Williams, Hingano will NOT be at the raiders next year.

And I hope this little pommy half goes absolutely fantastic. History is against him, traditionally English halves suck down under.

Schofield
Gregory
Tomlin
Thorman

All below average.

Could even include Davis, the Welsh wizard, who mostly played fullback for NQ when they were little more than a qld cup side

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 9, 2019, 4:43 pm
zim wrote: July 9, 2019, 4:22 pm I think Luke took a "dud" deal this year in the hopes of re-signing for more. Whether dud means close to min wage.... I don't see him leaving as freeing up much.
Frees up a low wage spot for somebody with more potential which is quite valuable imo
We're talking about the cap though. Releasing a low wage spot doesn't really do anything in that regard.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

dubby wrote: July 9, 2019, 4:44 pm Welcome to the raiders GW. I wish you all the best!

And I hope this little pommy half goes absolutely fantastic. History is against him, traditionally English halves suck down under.

Schofield
Gregory
Tomlin
Thorman

All below average.

Could even include Davis, the Welsh wizard, who mostly played fullback for NQ when they were little more than a qld cup side
This guy.
Yeah I'm an adult.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

zim wrote:
dubby wrote: July 9, 2019, 4:44 pm Welcome to the raiders GW. I wish you all the best!

Schofield
Gregory
Tomlin
Thorman

All below average.

This guy.
Yeah I'm an adult.
Wut?

Anything substantial to add?

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Can you see the phrase I've highlighted?
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

No

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

So looks like tapatalk doesn't having bolding.
I was making fun of the phrase "suck down under".
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

yurithe1 wrote: July 9, 2019, 3:27 pm Ditto. I don't think we're getting enough value out of Sezer for what he seems to be getting paid. Williams is the budget-friendly half who slots in seamlessly whenever there's an injury. Hingano is probably on his way out.

Raiders will have to let at least one, if not two, halves go seeing as they've had to pay Wigan a transfer fee and then his actual salary. That's a lot of pressure on the budget before you even get to salary cap issues. Alternatively, maybe release a half and someone who hasn't gotten any NRL game time this season for whatever reason, like Luke Bateman.
I would speculate that G Williams will be on significantly less than Sezer's current contract as Sezer was a starting NRL half when we signed him and G Williams will likely be on lower coin for the first year or two like other English players when they first move here. Also I'm pretty sure transfer fees don't count toward the cap. I think recent and forthcoming contracts/upgrades will likely stretch our cap more than the Williams signing tbh.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

zim wrote:So looks like tapatalk doesn't having bolding.
I was making fun of the phrase "suck down under".
Doh

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The transfer fee definitely doesn't count to the salary cap. Not sure if they count to the football department cap... probably doesn't as it wouldn't make sense, but the NRL isn't known for that.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Pfft. NRL and common sense. Ne'er the twain shall meet

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I am pretty sure transfer fees don't get charged to either cap (absolutely certain it doesn't count to the salary cap)... but it is a real cost to the football club.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Sid wrote:IF 2 of Williams, Sezer and Hingano were to leave
who are available depth halves for 2020?

Fri 5 Jul 2019

Troy Dargan
Ryley Jacks
Lachlan Croker
Cade Cust
Billy Walters
Jai Field
Darren Nicholls
Connor Tracey
Brock Lamb

plus whoever else I've missed
Ata has next year in his favour, so may leave if he gets any bites after November, I would love cust as a backup and Nichols has looked good also out of that list. Not sure cust would take being backup, he's first grade ready now and will require a significant upgrade

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk