Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly settle three year deal for George Williams

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: July 6, 2019, 5:31 pm Confirmed very late in the season, 9 August.
right, so i think we can probably assume that's the SOP here.
We're sitting tight for another 4-6 weeks for confirmation of what the RL world knows
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

-TW- wrote:Then he ate the restaurant and they had to close the restaurant

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
Then he drove around looking for another all you can eat seafood restaurant. And when he couldn't find one, he went fishing.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:
-TW- wrote:Then he ate the restaurant and they had to close the restaurant

Then he drove around looking for another all you can eat seafood restaurant. And when he couldn't find one, he went fishing.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Doesn’t sound like a man who’s had all you can eat to me.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

that could have been me!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

That's the most flagrant case of false advertising I've seen since the "Neverending Story"
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

I really don't think we would get any confirmation of this signing until well after the season has finished. As apart from the momentary excitement from the fans, it only serves to hinder the club.
1. It could annoy Sezer that his position would possibly be talked about even more as a temporary filler, not something you want heading into the finals.
2. It potentially devalues Sezer's contract value and the Raider's leverage in moving him to another club.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

kona_dream wrote: July 8, 2019, 12:58 pm 2. It potentially devalues Sezer's contract value and the Raider's leverage in moving him to another club.
Great point. Best to move Sezer on before the announcement of Williams.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Peter wrote:
kona_dream wrote: July 8, 2019, 12:58 pm 2. It potentially devalues Sezer's contract value and the Raider's leverage in moving him to another club.
Great point. Best to move Sezer on before the announcement of Williams.
We're still going to be paying a significant chunk to move him on.. his market value would be half it was this time last year

jamesp1987
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: John Bateman

Post by jamesp1987 »

Wigan have just announced that Williams will leave the club at the end of the season to join an NRL team, can we expect an announcement from the Raiders in the next few days?
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

Post by Sid »

George Williams' NRL move now confirmed by Wigan Warriors

Wigan have finally confirmed George Williams will be leaving this year to move to the NRL. His departure for Canberra Raiders has been one of the worst-kept secrets in rugby league.

Read more: https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/george ... -1-9864988

Well I’ll be.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wigan Warriors club statement

The Warriors confirm that stand-off George Williams will leave the Club at the end of the season to take up a contract in the NRL after accepting an undisclosed transfer fee from an NRL Club.

Williams has helped the Warriors to two Betfred Super League titles and a World Club Challenge and has made 172 appearances for his hometown Club.

Radlinski said: “George has developed into one of the world’s finest half-backs, and although we are naturally disappointed to lose a homegrown player of his calibre, we wish him the best in his move to the NRL. I have no doubt he’ll take that competition by storm.

“On a personal level, it has been great to see George develop from a 12-year-old junior into the player he is today. He has the complete skillset of an international class half-back.

“George has never hidden away from me his ambitions to test himself in another league and experience a new lifestyle, and we feel that this is the right time for us to grant his wish having turned down several approaches for his services in the last three years.

“I have no doubts in my mind that George will continue to show his skill and leadership for the remainder of his time with us and I’m sure our loyal fans will continue to support him for the rest of the season.”

Speaking about his future move, Williams said: “Firstly, I want to say a massive thanks to everyone at Wigan Warriors for everything they have done for me. Those people who have supported me, coached me and played with me – I really appreciated your support.

“I’ve been at Wigan since I was 12-years-old and I have managed to live my dream playing 170+ games and winning two Grand Final’s for my hometown Club, along the way making some incredible memories and friends for life.

“Another dream of mine was always to play and to test myself in the NRL so I want to thank Ian Lenagan and Kris Radlinski for their understanding in allowing me to do this. It is something I have always wanted to pursue and playing in the NRL is a big goal of mine, so I’m excited and very much looking forward to the massive challenge ahead.

“Most importantly, although I will leave at the end of the season it doesn’t change my attitude for the remaining games of this year. I will give everything I’ve got to go out on the highest and best way possible with my best mates.”

As part of the release agreement, Wigan Warriors can confirm that they have first refusal for George Williams’ services should he return to the Betfred Super League once his time in the NRL has come to an end.

Read more: https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... YyVmdEK.99
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Re: Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams

Post by Ilanraiders »

Good, now it’s all confirmed!! Now who’s leaving :? :? Sezer Or Williams because they don’t want to play second fiddle or Rapana to free up some cash to cater for Williams?
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Id say Sezer will leave and we will try and keep Sammy as backup.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Sam Williams talking to a few ESL Clubs. He was negotiating while in first grade and in a bit of form so who knows now.
Think he is realising your career is short make the most of it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

-GD- wrote: July 9, 2019, 7:46 am Id say Sezer will leave and we will try and keep Sammy as backup.
I reckon, wouldn't be surprised to see a release announcement in the next few days.... I'm actually surprised they didn't try for a clean swap :lol:
Long time creeper....... First time poster
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Ilanraiders wrote: July 9, 2019, 6:55 am Good, now it’s all confirmed!! Now who’s leaving :? :? Sezer Or Williams because they don’t want to play second fiddle or Rapana to free up some cash to cater for Williams?
Since finding out Cade Cust is on $85k plus match payments, I honestly wouldn't mind seeing them both go to be replaced by G Williams and Cust.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

haha, maybe they read this thread?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

FWIW i wont be shocked if both Sezer and Sam williams are at other clubs next year and our first choice back up is either Hingano or a very cheap recruit like the above mentioned Cust, Brock Lamb or even Lachlin Croker who i think has developed at manly into a pretty reasonable back up half

People will say why not just keep Sam? And the simple answer i would bet he's way more money than you'd think. I bet someone like Cust for $150k would represent a major salary cap savings on Williams as a back up
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Finally announced on Raiders website!
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

PigRickman wrote: July 9, 2019, 8:33 am FWIW i wont be shocked if both Sezer and Sam williams are at other clubs next year and our first choice back up is either Hingano or a very cheap recruit like the above mentioned Cust, Brock Lamb or even Lachlin Croker who i think has developed at manly into a pretty reasonable back up half

People will say why not just keep Sam? And the simple answer i would bet he's way more money than you'd think. I bet someone like Cust for $150k would represent a major salary cap savings on Williams as a back up
I wouldn't be surprised if Sam is on $300k and honestly I'd prefer Cust even without making much savings. We know Sammy is at his ceiling but Cust has a lot of potential.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

I think it would be unlikely sam is on anything significant given he was signed when we had established halves and at the time he wasn't even a starting half in the super league, he was mainly a bench player for wakefield
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

George Williams signs three year deal with Canberra Raiders commencing in 2020

The Canberra Raiders have confirmed the signing of England International half George Williams on a three-year deal commencing in 2020.

Williams has played 172 Super League matches for the Wigan Warriors since making his debut in 2013, winning two Super League championships with Wigan in 2016 and 2018, alongside current Raiders forward John Bateman.

He’s also excelled at test level for England, representing his nation on 10 occasions.

Raiders CEO Don Furner said the club was excited about Williams joining the Raiders in 2020 and wished him all the best for the remainder of his time with Wigan.

“George is an experienced half who joins us after a very successful career with Wigan in the Super League,” Furner said. “The clubs had success in recent times in recruiting proven performers from the Super League and we believe George will fit into our system like others have.

“The club would like to wish George all the best for the remainder of the season with Wigan and we look forward to him joining us for pre-season training.”

Speaking about his future move on www.wiganwarriors.com, Williams said:

“Firstly, I want to say a massive thanks to everyone at Wigan Warriors for everything they have done for me. Those people who have supported me, coached me and played with me – I really appreciated your support.

“I’ve been at Wigan since I was 12-years-old and I have managed to live my dream playing 170+ games and winning two Grand Final’s for my hometown Club, along the way making some incredible memories and friends for life.

“Another dream of mine was always to play and to test myself in the NRL so I want to thank Ian Lenagan and Kris Radlinski for their understanding in allowing me to do this. It is something I have always wanted to pursue and playing in the NRL is a big goal of mine, so I’m excited and very much looking forward to the massive challenge ahead.

“Most importantly, although I will leave at the end of the season it doesn’t change my attitude for the remaining games of this year. I will give everything I’ve got to go out on the highest and best way possible with my best mates.”

Canberra Raiders media release

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/07 ... -williams/

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/09/rai ... -williams/

Highlights: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/07 ... in-action/
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Re: Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

Post by LastRaider »

Ilanraiders wrote:Good, now it’s all confirmed!! Now who’s leaving :? :? Sezer Or Williams because they don’t want to play second fiddle or Rapana to free up some cash to cater for Williams?
Move on both I say keep Hingano and move a development player half up from our juniors

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Re: Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

Post by Dusty »

LastRaider wrote:
Ilanraiders wrote:Good, now it’s all confirmed!! Now who’s leaving :? :? Sezer Or Williams because they don’t want to play second fiddle or Rapana to free up some cash to cater for Williams?
Move on both I say keep Hingano and move a development player half up from our juniors

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I could handle that.

6. Wighton
7. G. Williams

Back up/depth
7. Hingano
6. Cust
#. Young fella from QLD, can’t recall his name

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brendan O’Hagan and Toby Westcott? But they’re not from Queensland.

Cooper Bambling was... but left last year.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: July 9, 2019, 9:24 am Brendan O’Hagan and Toby Westcott? But they’re not from Queensland.

I think he means ash taylor who would suit a 3rd backup half role currently
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

About a year back a guy i know was adamant that the club was very high on O'Hagan. But those who watch him here seem to say he's just not going to cut it defensively, so maybe that's changed.
But yeah ideally, id move Sezer on and let Sam Williams figure it out on the FA market. And roll with Wighton, George, Hingano, some dirt minimum level back up or one of the kids if the club feels one of them is ready to be in the top grade as an emergency
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

PigRickman wrote: July 9, 2019, 8:33 am FWIW i wont be shocked if both Sezer and Sam williams are at other clubs next year and our first choice back up is either Hingano or a very cheap recruit like the above mentioned Cust, Brock Lamb or even Lachlin Croker who i think has developed at manly into a pretty reasonable back up half

Yeah, I've spent a while trying to work out if the club was keeping Williams or Sezer, but right now my gut feeling is that they will both go.

FWIW Williams and Hingano aren't contracted beyond this season, Sezer is contracted for this season and next, but unless WIlliams is coming here cheap to have a shot at first grade, Sezer might go elsewhere if he's not going to have a first shot in the halves here.. as many have probably speculated already

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I certainly wouldn’t want both Sezer and Sam Williams to leave. I don’t think Hingano is a real back up option. Maybe one of the young halves will come through, but that won’t be in 2020.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Cust would be great but he seems ready for the step up. Not sure he'd be ok with another backup role. Seems like he could push Elgey out as preferred DCE partner. Doesn't hurt to ask though.
Croker has been playing a lot better but he is always just one wet track away from 6 weeks out.
Lamb would be dirt cheap.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

This is the biggest signing the Raiders have made in the halves in 25 years.

George Williams short kicking game is first class, really really good. Running and passing game excellent. Won two premierships and current starting half for England.
He is also a strong defender.

The only concern will be his move to the right hand side, with Wighton to stay on the left. George plays left now, however he is a right foot kicker (Wighton a lefty) so his kicking game should suit the Right.
That dynamic, and how it is managed will be the key to this being as successful as it could be.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

greeneyed wrote:Brendan O’Hagan and Toby Westcott? But they’re not from Queensland.

I was thinking Westcott, not sure why I thought he was from QLD?!?

Either one of those two would be decent depth

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

IF 2 of Williams, Sezer and Hingano were to leave
who are available depth halves for 2020?

Fri 5 Jul 2019

Troy Dargan
Ryley Jacks
Lachlan Croker
Cade Cust
Billy Walters
Jai Field
Darren Nicholls
Connor Tracey
Brock Lamb

plus whoever else I've missed

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

zim wrote: July 9, 2019, 10:16 am

Cust would be great but he seems ready for the step up. Not sure he'd be ok with another backup role. Seems like he could push Elgey out as preferred DCE partner. Doesn't hurt to ask though.
Croker has been playing a lot better but he is always just one wet track away from 6 weeks out.
Lamb would be dirt cheap.
Probably right on Cust, if not Manly, someone will give him a genuine shot to a FG that wont be here in front of George or Jack
You're right about Croker and his injuries but putting that aside, it's a local kid who we can probably get back cheaply and i thought he showed some real development in the period DCE was out
There is a bunch of Knights halves i get confused in my head, was Lamb the one who was pretty solid defender but just had no real creativity or ability as a ball player? Or was he Lamb the other one who couldnt tackle at all?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Re: George, i've only seen highlights but what comes up time and time again on those highlights:

- good and willing support player, sort of right place right time player
- looks to have a good and creative short kicking game
- have a very nice cut out ball to his winger in his repertoire
- lively ball runner