Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly settle three year deal for George Williams

Post by Cranky Old Man »

His play is very reminiscent of Milford before he became too comfortable.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Cranky Old Man wrote: July 4, 2019, 1:06 pm His play is very reminiscent of Milford before he became too comfortable.
Before he ate all the pies.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Don’t agree with the Milford comparison at all tbh.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Based on nothing at all, but I expect to see both Williams and Wighton play both sides of the field next season.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 4, 2019, 3:21 pm Based on nothing at all, but I expect to see both Williams and Wighton play both sides of the field next season.
I think you might be on to something here. Players are generally given a licence to roam once the coach trusts their ability to do so effectively. I'd speculate that our players don't roam because Sezer can barely direct play down his assigned side and it's Jack's first season in the halves... so they've been instructed to play mostly down their corridors for the time being. Definitely wouldn't be surprised to see more roaming by our halves next season.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 4, 2019, 3:53 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: July 4, 2019, 3:21 pm Based on nothing at all, but I expect to see both Williams and Wighton play both sides of the field next season.
I think you might be on to something here. Players are generally given a licence to roam once the coach trusts their ability to do so effectively. I'd speculate that our players don't roam because Sezer can barely direct play down his assigned side and it's Jack's first season in the halves... so they've been instructed to play mostly down their corridors for the time being. Definitely wouldn't be surprised to see more roaming by our halves next season.
Yeah, it's nice to without precedent with Leilua doing it quite a lot a few years back. Obviously it's a more natural style in the halves, so all things being equal, if the coach trusts them, he will clearly give them a licence to play what's in front of them.

I'm quietly hopeful anyway.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Sid wrote: July 4, 2019, 12:51 pm hahah I can just imagine seeing him running the same left channel as Jack all game with both calling for the ball while not having any halves on the right hand side
I like it. We should also shift BJ to the left as well. Load up the right side with Whitehead, Bateman and Tapine. :thumbsup
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Northern Raider wrote: July 4, 2019, 5:09 pm
Sid wrote: July 4, 2019, 12:51 pm hahah I can just imagine seeing him running the same left channel as Jack all game with both calling for the ball while not having any halves on the right hand side
I like it. We should also shift BJ to the left as well. Load up the right side with Whitehead, Bateman and Tapine. :thumbsup
load everyone to the left and leave the right side bare
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sid wrote: July 4, 2019, 5:11 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 4, 2019, 5:09 pm
load everyone to the left and leave the right side bare
I think it's revolutionary enough to work! Sure, we might leak a few points on our right, but we'll be unstoppable on the left!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Milford has never replicated the form for Brisbane that he showed for us

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: July 4, 2019, 5:25 pm Milford has never replicated the form for Brisbane that he showed for us

Not so sure about that, he was desperately unlucky to not win the Clive Churchill medal against the Cowboys, he really should've got that even in a losing team. Definitely wins it if the Cowboys don't score with seconds to go to take it to Golden Point.

I agree that he's been absolutely garbage since that Grand Final though.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

dubby wrote: July 4, 2019, 5:25 pm Milford has never replicated the form for Brisbane that he showed for us

That’s just not true. He 100% should have been given the Clive Churchill. A Thurston missed goal and gift field goal wrongly saw him get it.

I remember watching that game just seething that he was so good.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Then he ate the restaurant and they had to close the restaurant

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Broncos 3 highest paid players are Milford, Bird and Boyd. Got $2.8m tied up in those 3. Ouch.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

julian87 wrote: July 4, 2019, 6:02 pm

That’s just not true. He 100% should have been given the Clive Churchill. A Thurston missed goal and gift field goal wrongly saw him get it.

I remember watching that game just seething that he was so good.
Yep, at that stage he was looking worth the 900k.

Unfortunately for him and fortunately for any bitter Raiders fans that's about the last time he ever looked that good. Since then he's been a mixed bag. His talent flashes through, but he's been shoehorned and misused by coaches a bit and a bit disillusioned or indifferent in attitude in patches.

They probably could/would/may see some value for Milford if they get the team culture and his position right- I don't think Milford is going to lead any change for good, he will follow if it's put in around him though.

Boyd and Bird are just dumb, dumb investments. Hubris maybe thinking that even if it looks silly or a stretch on paper they just assume it will come good when they do it at the Broncos because Broncos?
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Huge let down since then, yes. I’d still gamble and sign him in a **** heartbeat if the opportunity arose though.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: July 4, 2019, 5:28 pm

Not so sure about that, he was desperately unlucky to not win the Clive Churchill medal against the Cowboys, he really should've got that even in a losing team. Definitely wins it if the Cowboys don't score with seconds to go to take it to Golden Point.

Absolutely right.
He was insanely good in his first season for the broncos and definitely the best on ground for that GF. Should have won the CCM
Since then... pies on pies.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Firstly **** ITALL but also
julian87 wrote: July 4, 2019, 8:46 pm Huge let down since then, yes. I’d still gamble and sign him in a **** heartbeat if the opportunity arose though.
Yes, in a heartbeat. Talent over everything.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Rickman wrote:
Haha I'm pretty sure that's how Rob is picturing it in his head too.
I can see what rob is saying, GW has that skip step and lovely passing right to left same as Jack, it's going to need some real adjustments to play on the right for one of the two
Edrick The Entertainer
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

PigRickman wrote: July 4, 2019, 9:15 pm
The Rickman wrote: July 4, 2019, 5:28 pm

Absolutely right.
He was insanely good in his first season for the broncos and definitely the best on ground for that GF. Should have won the CCM
Since then... pies on pies.
Totally agree. Had a cracker of a first season. I remember death riding him every game and getting the **** as he blitzed it. Forever thankful the cowgirls beat them in the GF.
Since then he has been an also ran. I think on balance a classic example of a guy pushed into a chief playmaker role well before he was ready. He will never be your loud, confident game controller. Plays best when he can just float around and play to his natural gifts. Plus, sizing him up for all that frontline defence has definitely impacted his lethal agility/20 metre speed, which was his absolute weapon.

That 2.8 mil figure about Milford, Boyd and Bird is truly frightening if you’re a bronco fan.
IMO his next contract is a massive pay cut. Just not worth that coin on last few years and current form.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Honestly, that grand final destroyed both Ben Hunt and Anthony Milford, and subsequently the Broncos. If they win that I have no doubt those two are still at the Broncos and absolutely killing it as their halves combination, and possibly even Queensland's.

They've seriously both been shadows of their former selves ever since that game.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Yes good point. Hunt especially seems to only ever be a crucial knock-on away from completely breaking down.
Cruel game footy sometimes. Shows you that without a strong mindset and ridiculously self assured perspective all the talent in the world won’t get you to that extra step consistently
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

The Rickman wrote: July 5, 2019, 10:27 am Honestly, that grand final destroyed both Ben Hunt and Anthony Milford, and subsequently the Broncos. If they win that I have no doubt those two are still at the Broncos and absolutely killing it as their halves combination, and possibly even Queensland's.

They've seriously both been shadows of their former selves ever since that game.
I can't remember whether Hunt was already out the door by the time they played the GF but the Broncos made a big mistake in letting him go with a view to promoting Milford to the chief playmaker role. I was living in QLD at the time and I remember saying to friends who are Broncos fans that they will struggle without Hunt... and it's been very tough road for them since. It was a very bad gamble that didn't pay off in the end (and so was the gamble on Bird).

As Old School Green mentioned, he's not the type of guy you want as your main man in the halves. I think that's the main reason why he looks like a shadow of his former self, more so than any confidence he lost from losing the GF (although I'd probably agree that in Hunt's case he seems to still be haunted by the events of that night). But I think Milford could still kill it playing alongside a traditional half. A team with an established halfback would be doing very well to pick him up at 5/8 on a discounted price tag imo.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 5, 2019, 5:27 pm
The Rickman wrote: July 5, 2019, 10:27 am Honestly, that grand final destroyed both Ben Hunt and Anthony Milford, and subsequently the Broncos. If they win that I have no doubt those two are still at the Broncos and absolutely killing it as their halves combination, and possibly even Queensland's.

I can't remember whether Hunt was already out the door by the time they played the GF but the Broncos made a big mistake in letting him go with a view to promoting Milford to the chief playmaker role. I was living in QLD at the time and I remember saying to friends who are Broncos fans that they will struggle without Hunt... and it's been very tough road for them since. It was a very bad gamble that didn't pay off in the end (and so was the gamble on Bird).

As Old School Green mentioned, he's not the type of guy you want as your main man in the halves. I think that's the main reason why he looks like a shadow of his former self, more so than any confidence he lost from losing the GF (although I'd probably agree that in Hunt's case he seems to still be haunted by the events of that night). But I think Milford could still kill it playing alongside a traditional half. A team with an established halfback would be doing very well to pick him up at 5/8 on a discounted price tag imo.
I agree with this. And, given old man Halo’s miraculous recovery from his circa 2014 near death heart issue and the nice new family home built by the incredibly well respected and successful businessman/builder Andrew Gee, a move out of Brisbane should be fine now 🙄🙄🙄
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Milford can ****. :lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont think Milford would have a problem being the primary half, i really dont.
i think his problem is that his style of play, his natural style, his insticts did not fit with the robotic style that Bennett wants and needs for his teams and now what we have is an insanely gifted, talented footballer who's had virtually every element of creativity coached out of him... i dont know if he'll ever find it again, but a team like ours is his best hope to find it... a group of guys who dont score a lot of tries out of routine structure but lean into the idea that if we stack a team with x-factors, one of them will make the play when we need them too.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

I'm just happy to see all QLD teams bottom 4

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

PigRickman wrote: July 5, 2019, 8:04 pm I dont think Milford would have a problem being the primary half, i really dont.
i think his problem is that his style of play, his natural style, his insticts did not fit with the robotic style that Bennett wants and needs for his teams and now what we have is an insanely gifted, talented footballer who's had virtually every element of creativity coached out of him... i dont know if he'll ever find it again, but a team like ours is his best hope to find it... a group of guys who dont score a lot of tries out of routine structure but lean into the idea that if we stack a team with x-factors, one of them will make the play when we need them too.
For what it is worth, I agree with this. I think the best thing for Milford is to move away from the Broncos to a team like the Raiders. I am undecided if that move would necessarily be a good thing for the Raiders.
Whatever move he makes or doesn't make I think he will have to take a bit of a salary haircut.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I would totally have him at the Raiders.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Any confirmation on GWilliams from the club yet ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: July 6, 2019, 1:20 pm Any confirmation on GWilliams from the club yet ?
No.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Are we waiting for the planets to align ?

Or maybe George is struggling with a way to tell his mum....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

How did this play out with Bateman?
Was it confirmed post esl season?

Either way it’s just Wigan doing their thing. He’s coming and he’ll be in the 7 jersey rd1 next year baring injury
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Confirmed very late in the season, 9 August.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Just watching the exchange rate.