Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: Canberra Raiders say George Williams deal not done

Post by edwahu »

Cranky Old Man wrote: March 16, 2019, 11:23 am I heard from a very good source that fairly recently a guy who has made squillions in the IT industry outside Australia approached the Raiders and wants to "assist" financially in building up the team. I don't know how far this approach has progressed, but perhaps Mr Williams is an early sign.
Bring on the Atlassian Raiders!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

MrPosh wrote:
BadnMean wrote: March 16, 2019, 2:05 pm MrPosh seemed to think they'll have their sights set higher than Sammy. They've seen plenty of him at Catalans.
Wigan certainly couldn't sell Williams as a replacement for, er, Williams to their fans. They would need a bigger name than that.

There is lots of talk of them chasing Owen Farrell and George Ford from rugby union - both former Wigan juniors and the offspring of former Wigan players.

If either of those were the designated replacement, there's no reason Sammy couldn't be along for the ride.

After all, they've got Jarrod Sammut in the halves this year.
Could we get Owen Farrell instead???

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Look, Paul Henry is coming.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Please tell George he’ll need to pay us a $450,000 transfer fee, if he wants to come here. Our halves are awesome.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Having watched most of Wigan’s games this year he has been very, very ordinary.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

julian87 wrote: March 17, 2019, 8:58 pm Having watched most of Wigan’s games this year he has been very, very ordinary.
Who cares what you think, he's a pom get him here asap.
WorkChoice
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

The question is, is he going to be any better than Sezer. I know it's one game in but we looked far more dangerous when Wighton had the ball. If Wighton keeps bringing what he did againstbthe titans he needs to stay at 6.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

If our halves continue to perform like that we dont need anyone.

I just have a nag that Sezer wants to return to Sydney.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 18, 2019, 7:23 am If our halves continue to perform like that we dont need anyone.

It almost sounded like that in some of Sezer's interviews- a vibe that he wanted to prove what he could do this year so he could leave with his head held high.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

BadnMean wrote:
LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 18, 2019, 7:23 am If our halves continue to perform like that we dont need anyone.

It almost sounded like that in some of Sezer's interviews- a vibe that he wanted to prove what he could do this year so he could leave with his head held high.
Yeah, I have a feeling he’s off at the end of the year. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s at the Bulldogs
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

BadnMean wrote: March 18, 2019, 8:56 am

Williams is not a suitable partner for Wighton.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

MrPosh wrote: March 18, 2019, 5:52 pm

Agree 100%

O’Loughlin is deadset Wigan’s halfback
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

yeah i have no idea what this guy is or isnt, but those whose opinion i value say he's an out and out running half. That's not an fit for Wighton.

I'll say this... Hodgson has been a stud, Elliott Whitehead has been a stud, the VERY early returns on Bateman is that he's a stud... I thought Sutton looked like he needed a bit more time but i could see the value... and Jordan Turner sucked

4/5 is pretty **** great, even if Sutton brings it to 3.5 or 3 / 5 so you'd have to back the club to know what it's doing with english imports.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

julian87 wrote: March 18, 2019, 5:59 pm
MrPosh wrote: March 18, 2019, 5:52 pm

Agree 100%

O’Loughlin is deadset Wigan’s halfback
O'Loughlin plays at loose forward - although a lot of the play goes through him.

Tommy Leuleui and Jarrod Sammut share the half-back role.
Yorkshire Raider
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: John Bateman

Post by Yorkshire Raider »

Lots of strong rumours over here that Williams is going to Raiders. He's a good player but he's certainly not an out and out runner. With the structure you guys play over here he would go well eventually but I don't see him as first grade yet. As for signing Owen Garrwll that's a no go. Not a chance he will leave Union.
PhilY
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jason Croker

Post by PhilY »

Seems a little harsh. The guy plays for England but is not good enough for a team that struggles to make the finals? I’ll take the risk he’ll make the cut 😁
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I've accepted we are getting him. But, having never seen him play a single game, based on the reports ive read, I've got to say that i really dont know if hes the answer. We need a organising half. Sezer was ok in the first game. He may go onto become the half we know he can be, but he's had 3 years and hasn't delivered. If he comes cheap and for an opportunity then I'm sweet with it. However the reality is that he's probably coming on reasonable half back money with is bordering reckless.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I for one welcome our new English overlords.
PhilY
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by PhilY »

I remember a heap of folk on this site bagging the signing of Bateman - “ no place for him”. Ummmmm
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PhilY wrote: March 19, 2019, 6:58 pm I remember a heap of folk on this site bagging the signing of Bateman - “ no place for him”. Ummmmm
I wasn't.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

PhilY wrote: March 19, 2019, 6:58 pm I remember a heap of folk on this site bagging the signing of Bateman - “ no place for him”. Ummmmm
I actually dont recall seeing much of that at all?
I think most either said they had no idea but we've had good success here so cool or yeah this guy is good.

I know there was some discussion about where to shuffle the pack to fit him in (Tapine in the middle, Whitehead at lock, or Papa up front etc) but i dont recall seeing a lot of negative posts.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I definitely wasn't a massive fan of our pursuit of Bateman initially, since we were about to lose 2 props and were stacked in the second row. Papalii hadn't yet moved and shown how good he would be in the middle. I also didn't realise he was rated highly as a lock himself.

Regardless I am a big fan of the Williams signing as part of the Pom strategy. Management are at least trying something different and sticking to it, and unlike the South's Logan one it can't easily be derailed if it works.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

But even those, like you, who werent that thrilled, i feel like everyone was pretty measured about it.
PhilY
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by PhilY »

Jack is an experienced player in training as a half. Williams is an experience player, playing for England as a half. Logic suggests getting Williams on board is a good move.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders say George Williams deal not done

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

#NRL360 @FOXNRL We asked Kenty this the other day, but he just said that transfer fees don't count to the salary cap. He says that once there's a deal with Wigan on a transfer fee, @George7Williams will head to the #Canberra #Raiders.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Canberra Raiders say George Williams deal not done

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: March 20, 2019, 6:13 pm @TheGHRaiders on Twitter

#NRL360 @FOXNRL We asked Kenty this the other day, but he just said that transfer fees don't count to the salary cap. He says that once there's a deal with Wigan on a transfer fee, @George7Williams will head to the #Canberra #Raiders.
I wonder if there's any chance of it happening this year, maybe with a few midseason shifts...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders_Pat wrote: March 20, 2019, 7:02 pm

#NRL360 @FOXNRL We asked Kenty this the other day, but he just said that transfer fees don't count to the salary cap. He says that once there's a deal with Wigan on a transfer fee, @George7Williams will to head to the #Canberra #Raiders.
I wonder if there's any chance of it happening this year, maybe with a few midseason shifts...
I'm wondering why Luke Bateman isn't named in any team this week, and not on the injury list.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

I didn't think transfer fees were part of the cap.

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 20, 2019, 7:15 pm I didn't think transfer fees were part of the cap.

It wouldn't make sense that they do... but there are a lot of things in the NRL that make no sense at all.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: March 20, 2019, 7:12 pm

#NRL360 @FOXNRL We asked Kenty this the other day, but he just said that transfer fees don't count to the salary cap. He says that once there's a deal with Wigan on a transfer fee, @George7Williams will to head to the #Canberra #Raiders.
I'm wondering why Luke Bateman isn't named in any team this week, and not on the injury list.
He was named at 13 for Mounties?

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/03 ... v-newtown/
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

greeneyed wrote:
LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 20, 2019, 7:15 pm I didn't think transfer fees were part of the cap.

It wouldn't make sense that they do... but there are a lot of things in the NRL that make no sense at all.
That is true

Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

greeneyed wrote: March 20, 2019, 7:26 pm

It's still not clear if they count or not.

But if it's Sam Burgess they don't!

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/ ... a60f3fe5d3

The NRL make up and change rules as it suits them.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Coastalraider wrote: March 20, 2019, 7:36 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 20, 2019, 7:12 pm

He was named at 13 for Mounties?

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/03 ... v-newtown/
Thanks, he wasn't originally. This was the team released yesterday afternoon shortly after 4pm:

Mounties

1. Brad Abbey
2. Tony Satini
3. Reuben Rennie
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Andre Niko
6. Ata Hingano
7. Brendan O’Hagan
8. Emre Guler
9. Tom Starling
10. Royce Hunt
11. Reuben Porter
12. Hudson Young
13. Steven Tavita

14. Mitch Kennedy
15. Dean Matterson
16. Jarrett Boland
17. Daniel Keir

18. Anthony Layoun
19. Jarrod Brackenhofer
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

I was hoping we told Wigan "drop the transfer fee and we'll give you back Bateman". Then we get George and Luke knocks on their door.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

EJ wrote:I was hoping we told Wigan "drop the transfer fee and we'll give you back Bateman". Then we get George and Luke knocks on their door.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
The Luke / John Bateman mix up tricked 2000+ SuperCoach players so it might just work
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine