All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders say George Williams deal not done

Post by Botman »

edwahu wrote: March 14, 2019, 9:33 am
greeneyed wrote: March 14, 2019, 9:30 am That’s a transfer fee of $375,000, if it were true.
and the 3 bed apartment? It sounds more than a little dodgey to me.
If it's out there like that, on twitter. Then you would HOPE we've got our ducks in a row on this, otherwise, yeah, big problems. And it will be found out.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Sid wrote: March 14, 2019, 9:35 am Does it concern anyone that George Williams has his eyes closed and shoe laces untied while he is kicking the ball in the article picture?
I'm loving this guy already. What a maverick. Don't change a thing Georgie. Tackle that air! I think Andrew Johns gave him the tip that you get get extra banana swerve from a ricochet effect if your boot is loose against your foot.

I haven't had this much fun since Blake Austin used to throw in those extra spins and pirhouuettes on his runs just for fun.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

PigRickman wrote: March 14, 2019, 9:50 am
greeneyed wrote: March 14, 2019, 9:30 am That’s a transfer fee of $375,000, if it were true.
If it's out there like that, on twitter. Then you would HOPE we've got our ducks in a row on this, otherwise, yeah, big problems. And it will be found out.
Paid it off over 3 seasons, under a potentially increased cap each year like the Sharkies got away with...
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

BadnMean wrote: March 14, 2019, 10:03 am
PigRickman wrote: March 14, 2019, 9:50 am
Paid it off over 3 seasons, under a potentially increased cap each year like the Sharkies got away with...
Yep. We just have to self report.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

The three-bed apartment could be part of a TPA approved by the NRL for all we know.

It could also be a short-term thing, provided for his first off-season with the club while he settles.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Pretty sure he is single, so if I was an Auditor those 2 spare bedrooms alone would have me asking questions. I suspect I am a bit more thorough than the NRL in that regard though.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

edwahu wrote: March 14, 2019, 10:36 am Pretty sure he is single, so if I was an Auditor those 2 spare bedrooms alone would have me asking questions. I suspect I am a bit more thorough than the NRL in that regard though.
enough rooms to sneak in 2 more Superleague players :hmmm
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Enough room for a bag of cash and a dozen EDIT
Last edited by The Nickman on March 15, 2019, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Arrr, sorry Ferg... everything just went quiet there all of a sudden.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Sid wrote: March 14, 2019, 9:35 am Does it concern anyone that George Williams has his eyes closed and shoe laces untied while he is kicking the ball in the article picture?
If he's that good he doesn't even need eyes I say more power to him.
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Mole is sticking to his guns

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That story was written on the back of The Mole's story... and prior to the Canberra Raiders' denial. Just to put it in context.

But I'm suspecting an agreement has been made... and Wigan is putting a condition on the transfer deal... that it can't be announced until after the end of their season, or close to. There's just too much comment coming out of the north of England that there's some sort of agreement.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Raiders fan Rod Pyne had an opportunity to ask Ricky last night..

So..Ricky. Is it true the Raiders have signed Wigan half George Williams ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

From memory, the word we hear from up North generally turn out to be good mail- Hodgo, Whitehead, Turner, Bateman all came down after a bit of smoke.

If this doesn't come through I think it's only because of a financial sticking point.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

edwahu wrote:
Wait till you hear about the boat... The kid has to come over from the UK somehow
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: March 14, 2019, 10:45 am Enough room for a bag of cash and EDIT
The Rickman wrote: March 14, 2019, 10:46 am Arrr, sorry Ferg... everything just went quiet there all of a sudden.
:lol: :lol:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: March 15, 2019, 10:32 am
The Rickman wrote: March 14, 2019, 10:45 am Enough room for a bag of cash and a dozen EDIT
The Rickman wrote: March 14, 2019, 10:46 am Arrr, sorry Ferg... everything just went quiet there all of a sudden.
:lol: :lol:
Oh man, he ruined my bit!

He could have just edited like I have in the quote!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

George Williams to Canberra... soon: https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... ufibewclow

#TheLurkerDisclaimer
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

So terms have been agreed but we haven't settled on a transfer fee yet. And we don't want to upset our halves before round 1.

Sounds like a definite maybe he is coming

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 15, 2019, 7:37 pm So terms have been agreed but we haven't settled on a transfer fee yet. And we don't want to upset our halves before round 1.

Sounds like a definite maybe he is coming

It is starting to sound an awful lot like this.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He's coming, lads
Maybe the i's havent be dotted and t's not crossed, but he's coming.
This isnt smoke, it's a full blown **** bushfire, raging out of control and the Wigan are demanding the Raiders do their best baghdad bob impersonation. No one is buying it, we shouldnt be selling it, or at least Wigan shouldnt be making us sell it.

George Williams is here in 2020 baring some wild miracle. That's just what it is. We'd be well served as a fan base to call this what it is, and treat it as such.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I agree. The media reports from the UK. The way ennis spoke about him. He's definitely coming. Just dunno how to feel about it
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

It's being spoken about over here exactly the same way the Bateman deal was - like it's a done deal.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Yeah, he’s coming, but I’m a lot more excited about the Bateman signing than this one
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

He set up a nice try this morning. Jinked across field and put a player through a gap. Looks to have a good step . Nippy player.

I wasn't watching all of it but it did take me awhile to know he was playing. He didn't do much else in the match that I saw

Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Watched the second half of Wigan v Warrington game this morning.
Wigan seem to have a fair hangover from their premiership last year. Lost some players and have a new coach.
Williams seemed to drift in and out of the game, similar to the rest of the team.
But as it was my first time watching him here are my thoughts on his game;

Passing is really good. Was throwing 20m spiral passes both ways. Flick passes out back while standing in a tackle and fending. Short balls and face balls in shape. It was wet, and they weren’t getting many opportunities to put Warrington on the back foot, so we’re playing against a pretty organised defence.

Kicking game quite good. In particular chipped over top to find grass and force repeat set. Forced two in the second half.

Defence. Strong. Looked comfortable in their structure. Physically he is strong, made a few one on one tackles. He’s about the same height but thicker than Sezer.

Running game decent. No real opportunities. But did go to the line with structure but held onto it when Warrington had them covered and he bounced off the tackle and then ran back infield stepping and then gave a short ball to someone who went straight through and scored. Something from nothing really, the defence was quite good until that.

In summary, he’s definitely not one dimensional. Passing and kicking skills quite high, better than most even in the NRL. His defence is excellent for a half, and he’s bigger than most.

It’s going to come down to his mental strength whether he makes it in the NRL, won’t be skills based.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I heard from a very good source that fairly recently a guy who has made squillions in the IT industry outside Australia approached the Raiders and wants to "assist" financially in building up the team. I don't know how far this approach has progressed, but perhaps Mr Williams is an early sign.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Lui_Bon wrote: March 13, 2019, 10:11 pm
Mr. Snrub wrote: March 12, 2019, 2:40 pm Do you think that Sezer has told the Raiders that he's ready to move on next year? That's why they've organised the signing of Williams now?
Good question - I haven't got a clue but it might make sense. Then again, where would Sezer be moving on to?
Perhaps part of a player swap deal for George Williams means he goes to Wigan - only a guess, I have no evidence of this. But we have been whittling away at Wigan and I would have thought they would want some player talent with NRL experience in return. If players like Dobson can make a difference in ESL then Sezer could.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

RedRaider wrote: March 16, 2019, 11:47 am
Lui_Bon wrote: March 13, 2019, 10:11 pm
Mr. Snrub wrote: March 12, 2019, 2:40 pm Do you think that Sezer has told the Raiders that he's ready to move on next year? That's why they've organised the signing of Williams now?
Good question - I haven't got a clue but it might make sense. Then again, where would Sezer be moving on to?
Perhaps part of a player swap deal for George Williams means he goes to Wigan - only a guess, I have no evidence of this. But we have been whittling away at Wigan and I would have thought they would want some player talent with NRL experience in return. If players like Dobson can make a difference in ESL then Sezer could.
Everyone seems to have forgotten Sam Williams. His contract expires this year. I think that it's up to Sezar to prove he deserves to play first grade seeing as he's getting the first bite of the cherry. If he flops and Williams kills it, he'll be released and Williams will be re-signed to continue as a depth player. Otherwise, Sammy goes back to ESL for 2020 and beyond.

Actually, here's a thought – what if Sammy's been promised to Wigan as part of a player swap to offset the transfer fee. They're going to be looking for a halfback for next year.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

MrPosh seemed to think they'll have their sights set higher than Sammy. They've seen plenty of him at Catalans.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Can he tackle?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Cranky Old Man wrote:I heard from a very good source that fairly recently a guy who has made squillions in the IT industry outside Australia approached the Raiders and wants to "assist" financially in building up the team. I don't know how far this approach has progressed, but perhaps Mr Williams is an early sign.
Let's hope so

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cranky Old Man wrote: March 16, 2019, 11:23 am I heard from a very good source that fairly recently a guy who has made squillions in the IT industry outside Australia approached the Raiders and wants to "assist" financially in building up the team. I don't know how far this approach has progressed, but perhaps Mr Williams is an early sign.
Who?
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

greeneyed wrote: March 16, 2019, 4:53 pm
Cranky Old Man wrote: March 16, 2019, 11:23 am I heard from a very good source that fairly recently a guy who has made squillions in the IT industry outside Australia approached the Raiders and wants to "assist" financially in building up the team. I don't know how far this approach has progressed, but perhaps Mr Williams is an early sign.
Who?
I cant say publicly, perhaps if you dm me I can give you some more details.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

BadnMean wrote: March 16, 2019, 2:05 pm MrPosh seemed to think they'll have their sights set higher than Sammy. They've seen plenty of him at Catalans.
Wigan certainly couldn't sell Williams as a replacement for, er, Williams to their fans. They would need a bigger name than that.

There is lots of talk of them chasing Owen Farrell and George Ford from rugby union - both former Wigan juniors and the offspring of former Wigan players.

If either of those were the designated replacement, there's no reason Sammy couldn't be along for the ride.

After all, they've got Jarrod Sammut in the halves this year.