Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly set to offer Wigan half George Williams three year deal

Post by edwahu »

Having a transfer fee count on the cap still makes no sense to me.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly set to offer Wigan half George Williams three year deal

Post by kona_dream »

I am not sure how the transfer fee works on the cap. I assume it is averaged over the length of his contract. But no one in the NRL would pay $750,0000 simply as a transfer fee. You would need a 10 year contract for it to be feasible.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Is it part of the cap? I didnt think it was.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: February 26, 2019, 7:19 am Is it part of the cap? I didnt think it was.
No certainly wasn’t part of the cap when the warrriors signed Tomkins and I don’t think Batemans will be on our cap this year
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: February 26, 2019, 7:19 am Is it part of the cap? I didnt think it was.
It was when Segeyaro came back.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

This club needs to do some homework in its own backyard and look at our 20’s from last year and this year. We have some great halves coming through that will be snapped up by others if they dont move fast and lock them away. This bloke is not the answer just another plug in the whole of not nurturing and testing our own. Ohagan was the 20’s origin half for god sake. Westcott looks controlled and has a great kicking game but just needs time in nsw cup and i am sure there are others. Get them all under a McFadden 2 year boot camp and see what falls out the back end. My tip is Ohagan to play first grade this year

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

He can’t play first grade this year because he’s not in the top squad.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think the rule is changing so he could play after June 30. He would need to really show some major defensive improvements though.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

There is absolutely no possible way the transfer fee could count against the cap. Otherwise no club would ever pay one.

$750,000 across three years? Even if it's in thirds, that'd make someone like Williams cost nearly a million a season. Who is going to take a punt on a player at that cost?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Timbo wrote: February 26, 2019, 9:11 am There is absolutely no possible way the transfer fee could count against the cap. Otherwise no club would ever pay one.

$750,000 across three years? Even if it's in thirds, that'd make someone like Williams cost nearly a million a season. Who is going to take a punt on a player at that cost?
Like I said, it was widely reported as counting for Segeyaro.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 259cc1e69f
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

So we've opted out and as far as I'm aware we didn't confirm interest..

On a roll Moley !!!!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

edwahu wrote: February 26, 2019, 9:00 am I think the rule is changing so he could play after June 30. He would need to really show some major defensive improvements though.
Agree. At the moment O'Hagan would be the worst defensive half we have.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

simo wrote: February 26, 2019, 5:56 am Sutton and murchie for him. The murch isnt getting a run here, hes a top quality backrower and when his two year contract is done we will take him back, more experienced and ready to take whiteheads/batemans spot
Cripes. Sutton has barely played a game and it's been in conditions he's not used to. No one is going to take Whitehead's spot. He is f'ing quality.

By Bateman, I hope you mean Luke rather than John. Why would anyone apart from a Pommie-hater swap an international centre/2nd rower rather than a bog ordinary, but hard-working lock.

I there's going be a swap, then let BJ go. He's a liability in defence and we have Bateman who can play in the centres to replace him, even though he's not as gifted as BJ. Just make sure we've signed Rapana first.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

-PJ- wrote: February 26, 2019, 9:24 am So we've opted out and as far as I'm aware we didn't confirm interest..

On a roll Moley !!!!!
Indeed, one day we're interested next day we're not.

Management aren't that quick to act.
WorkChoice
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

yurithe1 wrote: February 26, 2019, 10:55 am
simo wrote: February 26, 2019, 5:56 am Sutton and murchie for him. The murch isnt getting a run here, hes a top quality backrower and when his two year contract is done we will take him back, more experienced and ready to take whiteheads/batemans spot
Cripes. Sutton has barely played a game and it's been in conditions he's not used to. No one is going to take Whitehead's spot. He is f'ing quality.

By Bateman, I hope you mean Luke rather than John. Why would anyone apart from a Pommie-hater swap an international centre/2nd rower rather than a bog ordinary, but hard-working lock.

I there's going be a swap, then let BJ go. He's a liability in defence and we have Bateman who can play in the centres to replace him, even though he's not as gifted as BJ. Just make sure we've signed Rapana first.
Whitehead is quality. The timeframe i spoke of will be in 3 years time when whitehead or bateman may wish to return to england.
Serial pommy hater wishing to bring in a pommy. Just rounds out the quality of your rant
Dont delete this GE
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Pigman wrote: February 25, 2019, 7:00 pm are we sure he can tackle.
Granted i dont watch much ESL, but when i do, i dont see a lot of tackling going on there.

Not a high priority there
No idea either Piggy but not a lot to beat eh?
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

Jeez there is no way I would be looking to get rid of BJ I'm tipping he is in for a good year.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

simo wrote: February 26, 2019, 11:45 am

Whitehead is quality. The timeframe i spoke of will be in 3 years time when whitehead or bateman may wish to return to england.
Serial pommy hater wishing to bring in a pommy. Just rounds out the quality of your rant
Did I say you were a Pommie-hater? I think people here are too quick to take things personally.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Keghead wrote:

Jeez there is no way I would be looking to get rid of BJ I'm tipping he is in for a good year.
BJ has limited life left in hin as an NRL player. He's a defensive hack, but granted strong with the ball. He's on the wane.

EDIT.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Johno wrote: February 26, 2019, 12:23 pm
Pigman wrote: February 25, 2019, 7:00 pm are we sure he can tackle.
Granted i dont watch much ESL, but when i do, i dont see a lot of tackling going on there.

Not a high priority there
No idea either Piggy but not a lot to beat eh?
Touche'
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

dubby wrote: February 26, 2019, 6:11 pm
Keghead wrote:

BJ has limited life left in hin as an NRL player. He's a defensive hack, but granted strong with the ball. He's on the wane.

EDIT.

BJ’s defence is always going to be a weak spot but he’s the reigning Daly M Centre of the Year who’s apparently in excellent shape. Reckon he’s got a couple of seasons before he’ll be “on the wane”.
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

Keghead wrote:

EDIT.

Its not all about Stats,Previous Results,and Personal Perceptions for mine its about maturing as a human and a footballer and I see that in BJ,he has himself much fitter this year and with that will come more focus.I also believe part of his defensive deficiencies may have moved to England.It will be interesting to watch both left and right centers defensive efforts this year.I for one will be cheering for him I personally don't understand why anyone wouldn't.

EDIT ( :) )
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Keghead wrote: February 26, 2019, 10:28 pm
Keghead wrote:

EDIT.

Its not all about Stats,Previous Results,and Personal Perceptions for mine its about maturing as a human and a footballer and I see that in BJ,he has himself much fitter this year and with that will come more focus.I also believe part of his defensive deficiencies may have moved to England.It will be interesting to watch both left and right centers defensive efforts this year.I for one will be cheering for him I personally don't understand why anyone wouldn't.

EDIT ( :) )
I agree with this - every year, blokes that I thought were tools start to grow up... and blokes who were just a bit loose start to understand what it is they're involved in. You would know all the names, but I'll give you Dugan, Fergo and Mitchell Pearce.
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Canberra Raiders reportedly interested in Wigan half George Williams

Post by Keghead »

Lui_Bon wrote: February 26, 2019, 10:41 pm
Keghead wrote: February 26, 2019, 10:28 pm
Keghead wrote:

EDIT.

EDIT ( Image )
I agree with this - every year, blokes that I thought were tools start to grow up... and blokes who were just a bit loose start to understand what it is they're involved in. You would know all the names, but I'll give you Dugan, Fergo and Mitchell Pearce.
Thanks Lui we must think along the same lines Image

Last edited by Keghead on February 28, 2019, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly interested in Wigan half George Williams

Post by BJ »

I was watching some of the Raiders games on Fox from last season over the summer. I don’t think I recognised how good BJ was and how many of our line breaks and tries came off his work on the previous tackle.

He’s almost our only X factor player.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I agree. I've said it many times. Removing BJ removes the best part of the raiders I.e. the right edge bromance with rapa. While i accept there are some defensive liabilities these are more than compensated by what he brings in attack.

That said, I think this year will be a turning point for him. Hes had a free reign until now. Reports are that ball control will be a focus this year which really doesnt fit in with the way he likes to play. With Austin leaving, there'll be no excuses for poor defensive reads in the future. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

BJ is awesome, but his big problem is his decision making defensively and I'm not convinced he is coachable in that regard. Hopefully with better defenders around the number of tough decisions he has to make is reduced so it doesn't matter.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

BJ certainly improved his defence when Sezer moved to his side for the later part of 2017.

So hopefully issues were more due to Austin than BJ. But he still needs to improve.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I didnt see the stream from Bega - was Sezer defending on the RH edge and Wighton on the left?
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Coastalraider wrote: March 1, 2019, 9:02 am I didnt see the stream from Bega - was Sezer defending on the RH edge and Wighton on the left?
yes
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: March 1, 2019, 8:28 am BJ certainly improved his defence when Sezer moved to his side for the later part of 2017.

So hopefully issues were more due to Austin than BJ. But he still needs to improve.
His defense with Sezer next to him wasnt elite or top of the league, but it was sure as **** above average for NRL centres.
Conversely, when Austin moved next to Croker and outside Papa, we suddenly got an influx of Croker cant tackle and Papalii is lazy posts.

Haha, it was amazing.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Well BJ was the Dally M Centre of the year
Which means in a rubbish team he was a stand out

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Rampaging, unpredictable, volatile, beautiful BJ- don't you ever go changing.

Let the man march boys, let the man march.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

A ‘massive’ signing: Michael Ennis backs George Williams to solve Canberra’s play-making woes

Raiders coaching consultant Michael Ennis believes Wigan half George Williams would be a huge addition to the Green Machine.

“If they can land Williams, it would be massive,” said Ennis. “I’ve got a huge opinion on him, he’s one of the best players over there in England. To be able to come over and play with some of his mates seems like the logical fit, given Elliott, Josh and John are all there. He’s a really good defender and he’s an intelligent footballer.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 18d6038764
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Being born in England, more poms the better.

You Aussies suck at everything atm, Ricky has it sorted.
WorkChoice