Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly set to offer Wigan half George Williams three year deal

Post by Danaman137 »

greeneyed wrote:When The Mole was asked if this was on... he said...

@9_Moley

No - they were looking at him but out of their price range.

https://twitter.com/9_Moley/status/1099857120051179520
Annnd there’s the first sign that our cap is **** for 2020 too. The incompetence continues!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly set to offer Wigan half George Williams three year deal

Post by Timbo »

If the Mole says no then I can't wait to see Williams running out for us Rd.1 2020.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Sezer's Palace
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by Sezer's Palace »

zim wrote: February 25, 2019, 1:00 pm
Sezer's Palace wrote: February 25, 2019, 12:45 pm Not what I'm suggesting in the slightest.

What I mean is, if we are committed to making Wighton a 5/8, we should be looking to sign a fullback for 2020 rather than another half. If Wighton to 5/8 is a stop gap move, I think we would've been better off playing S. Williams/Hingano and Sezer as our halves for this season.
Which is not putting your strongest foot forward ie not doing everything you can to make the 8.
I don't think I'm wording my opinion well.

I think Wighton at five-eighth is a project/risk. As seen in the trial on the weekend, he has the potential to be a great half but he's still very raw. I believe right now that Wighton/Sezer/Williams/Hodgson is a better spine and playing that spine would be putting our best foot forward for this season. I think Stuart is playing at Wighton at five-eighth because he has more long-term upside than the other candidates. If we shifted him back to fullback after a year of developing him at five-eighth, I don't think it would be a mistake.
Instagram: @sezerspalace
Twitter: @jackkcronin
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

kiwi raider wrote: February 25, 2019, 12:07 pm
julian87 wrote: February 25, 2019, 11:52 am This bloke is a genuine 6 if you get that at all these days not a 7. Him and Wighton would be disastrous
Yea problem is Sezer is really more of a 6 too, A lot of people reckon he was a 7 at The titans But Even Sezer himself has recently stated he was always a 5/8 there and has had trouble being the halfback at Canberra
Complicating matters is that Sezer himself is unsure where his best spot is – at No.7 or No.6.

"I'm not too sure, you know. All my younger grades, and my first four years in first grade, were at five-eighth," he said.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/05/hal ... e-raiders/

What about
6. G Williams
7. Townsend :hmmm
I'd much prefer Williams and a Fullback, or Williams and a forward like TPJ.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Can't really comment.
What do our British friends say?

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

dubby wrote: February 25, 2019, 4:34 pm Can't really comment.

Our British friends are probably still asleep, and with recent history around our signing rumours, by the time they wake up this likely will have all blown over :roflmao
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Here's some highlights with a pretty awful soundtrack. I think his game would come across ok, good passing game but I doubt his running game is effective against NRL defenses. Doesn't look an organizer either but it is highlights so hard to tell, but it's not part of his game that stood out when I watched him either.

Danaman137
Brett Mullins

Post by Danaman137 »

From that highlight package his running game looks a little clunky. I think Nrl defences would sort him out quite quickly. Passing game and short kicking game look good though. Not sure if he’d be worth a £400,000 transfer fee though. Also highlight packages can make anyone look like a superstar.

nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

It's like a slow Austin.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

nacho wrote: February 25, 2019, 5:09 pm It's like a slow Austin.
Apart from his ability to pass the ball.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Danaman137 wrote: February 25, 2019, 5:06 pm From that highlight package his running game looks a little clunky. I think Nrl defences would sort him out quite quickly. Passing game and short kicking game look good though. Not sure if he’d be worth a £400,000 transfer fee though. Also highlight packages can make anyone look like a superstar.

Yeah true, unfortunately there is a shortage of lowlights videos availabe :lol:

The Wigan vs Leeds game is on at 8pm tonight on Fox and the World Club Challenge is replayed thursday if you want to see the rest of his game.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins

Post by Danaman137 »

edwahu wrote:
Danaman137 wrote: February 25, 2019, 5:06 pm From that highlight package his running game looks a little clunky. I think Nrl defences would sort him out quite quickly. Passing game and short kicking game look good though. Not sure if he’d be worth a £400,000 transfer fee though. Also highlight packages can make anyone look like a superstar.

Yeah true, unfortunately there is a shortage of lowlights videos availabe :lol:

The Wigan vs Leeds game is on at 8pm tonight on Fox and the World Club Challenge is replayed thursday if you want to see the rest of his game.
I’ve told the missus that footy doesn’t start back till another 3 weeks. Don’t think she’ll be happy if I put the super league on tonight Image

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

English forwards go OK. But halves and backs killing it at NRL have been few and far between.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

BJ wrote: February 25, 2019, 5:24 pm English forwards go OK. But halves and backs killing it at NRL have been few and far between.
It's a small sample size. I can't really think of one good one who came over in their prime since Ellery Hanley.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins

Post by Danaman137 »

edwahu wrote:
BJ wrote: February 25, 2019, 5:24 pm English forwards go OK. But halves and backs killing it at NRL have been few and far between.
It's a small sample size. I can't really think of one good one who came over in their prime since Ellery Hanley.
Hardaker (spelling) won the man of steel award and then came over. Only lasted a year and a half I think and wasn’t anything special.

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Danaman137 wrote: February 25, 2019, 5:26 pm
edwahu wrote:
Hardaker (spelling) won the man of steel award and then came over. Only lasted a year and a half I think and wasn’t anything special.

Yeah true, but he has Todd Carney levels of discipline.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Can't remember his name but was spruked as Slater equivalent. Was a fullback who was at the warriors and left for home mid contract
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

That'll be Sam Tomkins. Elliot signed him for 1m per annum!!
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Good at the line, nice short kicking game, and pretty quick. If Wighton doesn't work out, he'd be a pretty handy pick-up.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Brian Carney went well. Gareth Widdop is a proven competitor. Zak Hardaker was only ever on loan to the Panthers so who knows if he treated it as anything other than a holiday. Sam Tompkins had to deal with his issues at home (his missus was extremely homesick from the moment they got off the plane) and I didn’t mind what I saw of Joe Burgess from his limited starts.

By the same token, two fairly big name poms that have been signed in the last decade or so - Scott Moore and Lee Mossop - were both forwards and spectacular failures.

I don’t think it’s as simple as a ‘forwards good, backs bad’ thing from England.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

going back further, Cliff Watson was an absolute monster in the forwards.

The centre, 5/8 for Balmain...Schofield?
Going way back..Tommy Bishop was a bit special at half back for Cronulla in their early days
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Morning!

You can be sure there is something here. The source is about as credible as you can get over here. My guess is that the Raiders and Williams are on board, but Wigan not so much.

Generally, Wigan are a wealthy club, so expect to shed players alongside or opposed to a transfer fee. Any of Sezer, Wighton, Croker or Leilua - along with Sutton - would soften the blow for Wigan.

He's a very good player, especially with ball in hand. Excellent running game, very good defence and a fine passing and kicking game. Everything you would expect from a test half.

My concern for the Raiders is whether he solves the problem of managing the tight games. He's a bit of a maverick and not the cool head that's been missing.

Nonetheless, a fine player and not far off genuine world class. Very good mates with Bateman, by all accounts.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Tommy Bishop was a tough competitor, and underrated in my eyes fwiw
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

edwahu wrote: February 25, 2019, 5:09 pm
And kick
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I wonder if we release to Wigan any one of Sezer/BJ/Sam Williams/Abbey/Hingano might soften that transfer fee.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

Green eyed Mick wrote: February 25, 2019, 6:45 pm
edwahu wrote: February 25, 2019, 5:09 pm
And kick
And tackle
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

are we sure he can tackle.
Granted i dont watch much ESL, but when i do, i dont see a lot of tackling going on there.

Not a high priority there
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

dubby wrote: February 25, 2019, 6:45 pm I wonder if we release to Wigan any one of Sezer/BJ/Sam Williams/Abbey/Hingano might soften that transfer fee.

Almost certainly to Sezer and BJ. The other three wouldn't get into Wigan's reserves.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Johno wrote: February 25, 2019, 6:15 pm going back further, Cliff Watson was an absolute monster in the forwards.

The centre, 5/8 for Balmain...Schofield?
Going way back..Tommy Bishop was a bit special at half back for Cronulla in their early days
Andy Currier? Played for Balmain in '89 era, good goal kicker. Pretty sure he was a back and must have gone alright to be in that Balmain team in their golden era. He played a good few years. He was no Daley or Meninga but was ok.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

MrPosh wrote:

Morning!

You can be sure there is something here. The source is about as credible as you can get over here. My guess is that the Raiders and Williams are on board, but Wigan not so much.

Generally, Wigan are a wealthy club, so expect to shed players alongside or opposed to a transfer fee. Any of Sezer, Wighton, Croker or Leilua - along with Sutton - would soften the blow for Wigan.

He's a very good player, especially with ball in hand. Excellent running game, very good defence and a fine passing and kicking game. Everything you would expect from a test half.

My concern for the Raiders is whether he solves the problem of managing the tight games. He's a bit of a maverick and not the cool head that's been missing.

Nonetheless, a fine player and not far off genuine world class. Very good mates with Bateman, by all accounts.
Thanks!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

MrPosh wrote: February 25, 2019, 6:29 pm

Morning!

Good info, Mr Posh!

I reckon he looks like he could convert to the NRL. £400,000 transfer is crazy though.

Don’t reckon any of your potential swap options are likely other than Sutton and he’s only just arrived. Wighton, Sezer and Leilua would all have decent NRL offers and Croker won’t leave the NRL while he’s still got life - and a few records - in him.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Not sure Sutton will make it. Swap him back to Wigan
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Just duel sign him. He can just commute between the two clubs on weekends. Boom we just saved £400,000

Why is it always left up to me to solve everything.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Sutton and murchie for him. The murch isnt getting a run here, hes a top quality backrower and when his two year contract is done we will take him back, more experienced and ready to take whiteheads/batemans spot
Dont delete this GE
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Wigan star George Williams in sights of Warriors as Raiders opt out
The Mole

The Warriors lead half a dozen NRL clubs chasing the hottest property in England: Wigan halfback George Williams.

The Raiders recently made inquiries about Williams as they also are in the market for an established No.7, but the transfer fee put him out of their price range.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-news-t ... 391cd6aa2e