12%

Total votes: 26

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: 2019 Rd 1 V Titans: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Sid »

The Rickman wrote: March 13, 2019, 2:29 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 13, 2019, 2:25 pm Horsburgh will join a fairly exclusive club of Raiders Rangas if he gets a run. There is obviously Toungy but beyond that I have to go back to John McLeod as a strawberry blonde in 82’. Who am I missing? Who else has broken the golden rule of fashion and combined red and green without a colour in between??
How on EARTH do you forget Joel Monaghan or Joel Edwards??
Matt Gafa too!
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Billy Walker wrote: March 13, 2019, 2:25 pm Horsburgh will join a fairly exclusive club of Raiders Rangas if he gets a run. There is obviously Toungy but beyond that I have to go back to John McLeod as a strawberry blonde in 82’. Who am I missing? Who else has broken the golden rule of fashion and combined red and green without a colour in between??
Gucci
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

The Rickman wrote: March 13, 2019, 2:29 pm
How on EARTH do you forget Joel Monaghan or Joel Edwards??
Yeah a couple of big oversights there! I had a feeling I missed a couple of obvious ones.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Times Season Guide out tomorrow!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tallis calls on Canberra Raiders Josh Papalii to release the 'Raging Bull'

Gorden Tallis says Josh Papalii needs to be the "Raging Bull" of the Raiders forward pack.

"He's stepped up at rep level, he's played great for Queensland the last few years, he's played for his country," Fox Sports analyst Tallis said. "It's time for Josh week-in, week-out to lead this side. Josh is an enforcer, he never takes a backwards step and is probably not far off a leadership role.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 512ve.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders assistant coach Andrew McFadden better in second-coming

Andrew McFadden knows what it's like in the hot seat. It's why he knows he comes home to Canberra as a better coach and better able to help Stuart.

"The six years in New Zealand were unbelievable for my development for a couple of reasons," McFadden said. "Obviously the experience of being an NRL head coach in that I got exposed to things that I hadn't been before - all that stuff that you don't get a whole lot of exposure as an assistant coach.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 512vd.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders prop Sia Soliola: We're ready to go

Raiders forward Sia Soliola has banged the drum ahead of Sunday''s clash against the Titans by declaring that the green machine are ready to go! The veteran forward has also admitted that he's relishing the prospect of coming up against former teammate Shannon Boyd.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/03 ... ady-to-go/
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Sundays forecast at this stage

Gold Coast area
Cloudy. High (80%) chance of showers, most likely in the morning and afternoon. The chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoon and evening. Light winds becoming south to southeasterly 15 to 20 km/h during the day then becoming light during the evening.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: March 13, 2019, 3:40 pm Tallis calls on Canberra Raiders Josh Papalii to release the 'Raging Bull'

Gorden Tallis says Josh Papalii needs to be the "Raging Bull" of the Raiders forward pack.

"He's stepped up at rep level, he's played great for Queensland the last few years, he's played for his country," Fox Sports analyst Tallis said. "It's time for Josh week-in, week-out to lead this side. Josh is an enforcer, he never takes a backwards step and is probably not far off a leadership role.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 512ve.html
I think he's right. Papa can be a little bit easy going at times- he made his name when Furner (one of his master-strokes actually, he deserves credit) forced (previously fairly mild mannered) Papa to go out and target Gallen all game, at his peak. He got aggro, didn't back down and a legend was born.

I think he needs to bring that mongrel more often.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders co-captains Jarrod Croker and Josh Hodgson explain how the new leadership team will work

Q: Raiders coach Ricky Stuart said he's increased the pressure on the leaders this season to take the club to the next level. What does that mean and what has changed?

A: Jarrod Croker: Every successful club needs good leaders and needs a good leadership group. It's just about growing as leaders and growing as a group. In the past, it's been myself, Sia [Soliola] and Hodgo seen as the three main leaders. If one of us three is barking orders all day, every day it can get a bit monotonous.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 513ww.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Home away from home: The story of the Canberra Raiders' English stars

John Bateman could so easily have ended up in prison. Gone would be those precious moments with his daughter, his Super League titles and the NRL debut he will make for the Canberra Raiders on the Gold Coast on Sunday.

Daily phone calls to his daughter mean home never feels too far away - not even in the leafy surrounds of Barton as Canberra's four adopted Englishmen recreate The Beatles' famous Abbey Road cover.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 512zs.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Hodgson says Canberra Raiders ready for clash of the Titans

Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson has declared the Green Machine is ready to go for their season opener against the Gold Coast Titans.

"If you're not ready now you never will be after three months of pre-season," he said on Wednesday. "We're all good and ready to go. Everyone's just really excited for the year to be back again, it's been a long old off-season."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 513x1.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Soward's Power Rankings: Round 1:

10. Canberra Raiders
It wouldn't surprise me if they made the top eight because they've got talent but they don't know how to win close games. Until they sort out their halves they'll live in that bracket of teams from eight to 12 on the ladder. Jack Wighton at five-eighth has a lot on his shoulders.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/11/jam ... ters-rule/

NRL Tipping: Round 1 - what the experts are saying:

Titans v Raiders
Both sides will play a lot of football and ask a lot of questions. I would like to see the Titans be a bit more consistent and be a top-eight side, I would love to see them in the finals. Having Mal Meninga up there will breathe a bit of confidence into the whole club. For the Raiders, I'm very excited with the prospect of Jack Wighton playing at five-eighth. He's a wonderful running player – he reminds me a lot of Laurie Daley's frame as a running back who can take on any defender. Titans by 4

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/13/nrl ... re-saying/

Looks like Margie McDonald is a massive Raiders fan. Good to see!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ex-All Black's son to make NRL debut for Canberra Raiders

Former New Zealand sevens rugby union representative Bailey Simonsson will match his All Black dad when he makes his NRL debut this weekend.

"I've got a real desire to play in the NRL and especially in Canberra with the first side that gave me a chance when I was younger. To be back here and play is a bit of dream."

Read more: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/11 ... r-canberra
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: March 13, 2019, 4:25 pm VIDEO: Canberra Raiders prop Sia Soliola: We're ready to go

Raiders forward Sia Soliola has banged the drum ahead of Sunday''s clash against the Titans by declaring that the green machine are ready to go! The veteran forward has also admitted that he's relishing the prospect of coming up against former teammate Shannon Boyd.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/03 ... ady-to-go/
Sia always looked built like a brick **** house but this season he looks even bigger. Those shoulders would send a tank to the wreckers.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Michael Ennis anoints Canberra Raiders Josh Hodgson as Cameron Smith’s heir apparent

Canberra’s Josh Hodgson has the potential to become the NRL’s best traditional-style dummy-half, according to former NSW rake Michael Ennis.

“Josh, along with Cameron (Smith), is probably among the best traditional dummy- halves in the game,” Ennis said. “Damien (Cook) - he’s a different style of hooker. He’s explosive and is a real attacking weapon. But your Hodgsons and your Smiths pull and probe oppositions apart.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... cda0b3cc0b
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

While I'm on board with ennis being part of the family I hate the hype this brings. He's clearly got a good footy mind, I just hope all the talk that's happened since he's joined hasn't got to the players heads.

I honestly think we are going to get beat convincingly this weekend. Our defence in the trials gave me no basis to be confident. Maybe it was teething pains but to let teams like the eels and bulldogs put 20 on you over 40 mins in successive weeks is a major concern
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

So it’s actually a furphy that Simonsson played 7s for New Zealand. He played in the ‘b’ team while the top team was at the commonwealth games.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

FROG wrote: March 14, 2019, 4:07 am While I'm on board with ennis being part of the family I hate the hype this brings. He's clearly got a good footy mind, I just hope all the talk that's happened since he's joined hasn't got to the players heads.

I honestly think we are going to get beat convincingly this weekend. Our defence in the trials gave me no basis to be confident. Maybe it was teething pains but to let teams like the eels and bulldogs put 20 on you over 40 mins in successive weeks is a major concern
Hmmm could be beneficial also. Raising the bar on the players own expectations. We've been used to being half forgotten, underdogs, overlooked etc down here for so long. Meanwhile Sydney/Brisbane players get built up. Could help the players see and pursue excellence a bit more.

Might help get a few players into origin or get more slack off referees at least.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote: March 14, 2019, 9:51 am
FROG wrote: March 14, 2019, 4:07 am While I'm on board with ennis being part of the family I hate the hype this brings. He's clearly got a good footy mind, I just hope all the talk that's happened since he's joined hasn't got to the players heads.

Hmmm could be beneficial also. Raising the bar on the players own expectations. We've been used to being half forgotten, underdogs, overlooked etc down here for so long. Meanwhile Sydney/Brisbane players get built up. Could help the players see and pursue excellence a bit more.

Might help get a few players into origin or get more slack off referees at least.
And that's the kind of attitude that encourages mediocrity. Nobody was half forgetting, underestimating or overlooking us after we finished second a few years ago, the following year many experts had us tipped to be top 4 or even win the whole thing!

Two absolutely mediocre seasons in a row where we compeltely bottled it and missed the 8 have got us back where we (deservedly) belong in the eyes of punters. None of my non-Raiders mates even remotely rate our team, and you can't blame them.

It's up to us, and us alone to dig ourselves out of this mindset, and I firmly believe the 2019 squad and coaching staff are more than suited for the task at hand!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jarrod Croker puts faith in Canberra Raiders youth movement

Canberra co-captain Jarrod Croker is confident the club's 'generation next' are ready for the biggest challenge of their lives when they take on the Gold Coast Titans on Sunday.

"There will be plenty of energy and emotion, everybody remembers their debut, so those two boys will nervous and excited," Croker said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/14/can ... -movement/

The GH Round 1 preview: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33266#p1642448

Raider.com.au preview: Titans v Raiders: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/03 ... -v-titans/

NRL.com preview: Titans v Raiders: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/09/gol ... s-preview/

Video: Sam Squiers and Jamie Soward preview the last game of the opening Round as Gold Coast Titans take on Canberra Raiders: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/14/tit ... --round-1/
SeeBee101
David Grant

Post by SeeBee101 »

Where is Matt's Match Ups??? :?
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

SeeBee101 wrote: March 14, 2019, 1:58 pm Where is Matt's Match Ups??? :?
Them 7 us 10.

Controversy: Tyrone Peachey over BJ and one of their back rowers over any of ours.
SeeBee101
David Grant

Post by SeeBee101 »

I've got a bad feeling that Peachey will score a double on the weekend. Our inability to wrap up the ball will be the reason.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Saw a tweet saying Taylor may be out of Sundays game
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Regardless i'm getting more confident we'll win. The players have put such an emphasis on this game that they'll be scrapping the entire 80 I reckon.

The problem could be the thud 5 days later. But i'll worry about that uppercut next week.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Woodgers wrote: March 14, 2019, 3:16 pm Regardless i'm getting more confident we'll win. The players have put such an emphasis on this game that they'll be scrapping the entire 80 I reckon.

The problem could be the thud 5 days later. But i'll worry about that uppercut next week.
I'm absolutely certain we'll win this week... and the next
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Siliva Havili looking to repay Canberra Raiders faith

Siliva Havili was set to hang up the boots and begin his career as a podiatrist until the Canberra Raiders came calling.

"The year before last year I didn't know what I was doing so to be in this position I'm really grateful and want to repay the faith to the Raiders and I can do that by playing good footy and representing the club as best as I can.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 5142r.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders determined to avoid Gold Coast repeat

It's the game that defined the Canberra Raiders' season and they're determined to avoid a repeat in their Gold Coast return on Sunday.

"It's just about round one for us and getting off to a good start and getting away with the two points," Jarrod Croker said on Thursday. "We traditionally haven't had a great start the last couple of years. We've left ourselves chasing our tails a little bit too much in the last couple of years.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 5142z.html

Croker wants Raiders' home rocking again

Jarrod Croker has a mission to get Canberra's GIO Stadium rocking again. To truly do that, the Green Machine need to knock off the Titans on the Gold Coast this Sunday night ahead of consecutive NRL home games back in the nation's capital.

"We want to start well up there, get the two points and really get Canberra rolling."

Read more: https://www.sbs.com.au/news/croker-want ... king-again
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote:
The Rickman wrote:
Sid wrote: March 12, 2019, 9:58 am To avoid any confusion I think The Greenhouse should have count down timers for TLT, Game Day Kick Off and The Rickman's Pick... Man
The Rickman's Pick... Man?? Are we doing that again this year?? I've yet to receive any official confirmation from the Greenhouse OR the Raiders!
I haven’t received any official correspondence, but T_R has been all up in my DMs begging for some haikus!
ACTUAL haikus, not the rough assemblage of random syntax we've seen to this point.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

SeeBee101 wrote: March 14, 2019, 2:40 pm I've got a bad feeling that Peachey will score a double on the weekend. Our inability to wrap up the ball will be the reason.
I saw the matchup of Peachy vs Joey and immediately thought that edge is going to be a pointsathon in both directions.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm real excited about this game.

We've been hearing all the positive news out of the club.

I'll be jumping out of my skin Sunday arvo, hanging out for kickoff.

I'm praying for 2pts.

#bleedgreen
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

The only one you need to worry about is:

G.Brennan vs R.Stuart

Brennan’s 24 games up against the Master Coach’s 368? Rick is in the Top 10 of all time! Good luck Garth. Get back to us in 20 years when you’ve got the requisite experience for this type of matchup champ
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders forward Ryan Sutton excited ahead of NRL debut

Canberra Raiders English forward Ryan Sutton is keen to test himself against the Titans forward pack as the former Wigan Warriors man provides a comparison between playing in the Super League and what he has experienced so far in the trials.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/03 ... nrl-debut/

Video: Josh Papalii amongst the biggest hitters in the NRL: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/03 ... n-the-nrl/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Rickmando wrote: March 14, 2019, 5:11 pm
The only one you need to worry about is:

G.Brennan vs R.Stuart

Brennan’s 24 games up against the Master Coach’s 368? Rick is in the Top 10 of all time! Good luck Garth. Get back to us in 20 years when you’ve got the requisite experience for this type of matchup champ
:clap: :clap: :clap: