Titans 13+
12%

Total votes: 26

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Rd 1 V Titans: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by greeneyed »

Class of 1989's 30th anniversary inspiring Canberra Raiders' campaign

The players are using the 30th anniversary as motivation to bring back the glory days, after 14 players were inducted into the Raiders Hall of Fame at the season launch.

"It was a very special night. We touched on that a few times, how great the night was," Croker said of the season launch. "There's plenty of motivation. It's a massive year for the club. I'd like to be in a really good position come, I think it's round 10, when we have the old boys night.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 51461.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Joey Leilua vows to silence Dally M critics

Canberra Raiders centre Joey Leilua is out to prove doubters he was worthy of being crowned last year's Dally M Centre of the Year for the second time in three seasons.

"I've been copping that from the boys all summer, asking me who I paid and that," Leilua said. "I just reply to them that everyone deserved it last year but this year I want to make sure I make a statement that I want to be the best I can be.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/15/can ... m-critics/

Ashley Taylor has shrugged off the "man flu" but could still miss Gold Coast's NRL season opener against Canberra with a quadricep injury: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/taylor-und ... 61a1#close
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

The Rickman wrote: March 14, 2019, 9:56 am
BadnMean wrote: March 14, 2019, 9:51 am
FROG wrote: March 14, 2019, 4:07 am While I'm on board with ennis being part of the family I hate the hype this brings. He's clearly got a good footy mind, I just hope all the talk that's happened since he's joined hasn't got to the players heads.

I honestly think we are going to get beat convincingly this weekend. Our defence in the trials gave me no basis to be confident. Maybe it was teething pains but to let teams like the eels and bulldogs put 20 on you over 40 mins in successive weeks is a major concern
Hmmm could be beneficial also. Raising the bar on the players own expectations. We've been used to being half forgotten, underdogs, overlooked etc down here for so long. Meanwhile Sydney/Brisbane players get built up. Could help the players see and pursue excellence a bit more.

Might help get a few players into origin or get more slack off referees at least.
And that's the kind of attitude that encourages mediocrity. Nobody was half forgetting, underestimating or overlooking us after we finished second a few years ago, the following year many experts had us tipped to be top 4 or even win the whole thing!

Two absolutely mediocre seasons in a row where we compeltely bottled it and missed the 8 have got us back where we (deservedly) belong in the eyes of punters. None of my non-Raiders mates even remotely rate our team, and you can't blame them.

It's up to us, and us alone to dig ourselves out of this mindset, and I firmly believe the 2019 squad and coaching staff are more than suited for the task at hand!!
Last edited by scotchberry on March 15, 2019, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

greeneyed wrote: March 14, 2019, 9:06 pm John Bateman signing a show of Canberra Raiders intent – Elliott Whitehead

John Bateman's signing is an indication that Canberra Raiders are serious about reaching the NRL Finals, according to Elliott Whitehead.

"He's a quality player and he's going to bring a lot to our team, he showed that in Super League – how good he is. To sign someone like him shows that Canberra are going in the right direction to get back into the finals."

Read more: https://www.aol.co.uk/sport/2019/03/14/ ... whitehead/
You better believe it.

Sign another back rower when you already have 3 internationals on the books and play a reserve grade winger at Fullback.

I Reckon Elliot is well and truely getting his resume filled out for the head coaching position one day.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

gergreg wrote: March 15, 2019, 7:52 am I don't get the clear underrating of the Bulldogs. Considering their roster they played with plenty of spirit and were pretty good last year. Even when they lost they were very competitive.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
I predicting them to be the West Tigers of last year.

They will finish around 12th but hold their own most weeks
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

scotchberry wrote: March 15, 2019, 10:17 pm
FROG wrote: March 14, 2019, 4:07 am While I'm on board with ennis being part of the family I hate the hype this brings. He's clearly got a good footy mind, I just hope all the talk that's happened since he's joined hasn't got to the players heads.

I honestly think we are going to get beat convincingly this weekend. Our defence in the trials gave me no basis to be confident. Maybe it was teething pains but to let teams like the eels and bulldogs put 20 on you over 40 mins in successive weeks is a major concern
Hmmm could be beneficial also. Raising the bar on the players own expectations. We've been used to being half forgotten, underdogs, overlooked etc down here for so long. Meanwhile Sydney/Brisbane players get built up. Could help the players see and pursue excellence a bit more.

Might help get a few players into origin or get more slack off referees at least.
And that's the kind of attitude that encourages mediocrity. Nobody was half forgetting, underestimating or overlooking us after we finished second a few years ago, the following year many experts had us tipped to be top 4 or even win the whole thing!

Two absolutely mediocre seasons in a row where we compeltely bottled it and missed the 8 have got us back where we (deservedly) belong in the eyes of punters. None of my non-Raiders mates even remotely rate our team, and you can't blame them.

It's up to us, and us alone to dig ourselves out of this mindset, and I firmly believe the 2019 squad and coaching staff are more than suited for the task at hand!!
It was up until about round 7 2017 and we were still the bookies outright favourite for the comp and then Captain “air traffic control” threw a ball into the head of Dylan Walker when totally dominating the match and ever since then it’s been a total mental capitulation of basic skills on field and an even greater never ending storey of excuses off field that has lead to the biggest waste of talent of the last 20 odd years (maybe Warriors could be included there somewhere) that has got us here today.

We are lead by a arrogant, egotistic, stubborn, no fault nepotistic idiot who reacts totally unstable emotionally when questioned under pressure and this filters down to the entire squad when put under pressure on the playing field that leads to Ropana, BJ, Tapine etc and the like all going GI Joe and we end up with nothing but the inmates running the asylum on field against the refs that results in total breakdown of any controlled function s of football playing ability.

Of yeah - what a spine, props and depth we have this season !!!.

All hail “the leader”
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

scotchberry wrote: March 15, 2019, 10:33 pm

It was up until about round 7 2017 and we were still the bookies outright favourite for the comp and then Captain “air traffic control” threw a ball into the head of Dylan Walker when totally dominating the match and ever since then it’s been a total mental capitulation of basic skills on field and an even greater never ending storey of excuses off field that has lead to the biggest waste of talent of the last 20 odd years (maybe Warriors could be included there somewhere) that has got us here today.

We are lead by a arrogant, egotistic, stubborn, no fault nepotistic idiot who reacts totally unstable emotionally when questioned under pressure and this filters down to the entire squad when put under pressure on the playing field that leads to Ropana, BJ, Tapine etc and the like all going GI Joe and we end up with nothing but the inmates running the asylum on field against the refs that results in total breakdown of any controlled function s of football playing ability.

All hail “the leader”
Wow. Full blast Scotchnberry after 15 Scotch Whiskeys. Take that Ricky-clique!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Yes BnM, scotchberry is sure questioning the optimism of the born again Rick-heads on here.

For me, our poor defensive effort is far and away our biggest problem. Now we have all read about the defensive focus of our off season. However when given an opportunity to demonstrate the 2019 'defensive difference', the Dogs put 20 points via 4 tries on us in one half of footy. These were the Dogs which only scored 65 tries in 2018 which placed them 15th out of 16 in terms of tries scored in the NRL.

Talk is cheap. I want to see us as a defensive powerhouse this season. I've not yet seen any evidence that we will be any better than 2018 or 2017 in terms of stopping tries. We all live in hope before the season begins, but I want to see evidence via performance. Bring on the Titans.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm looking forward to seeing John Bateman in our jersey..I really am excited..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

scotchberry wrote: March 15, 2019, 10:23 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 14, 2019, 9:06 pm John Bateman signing a show of Canberra Raiders intent – Elliott Whitehead

John Bateman's signing is an indication that Canberra Raiders are serious about reaching the NRL Finals, according to Elliott Whitehead.

"He's a quality player and he's going to bring a lot to our team, he showed that in Super League – how good he is. To sign someone like him shows that Canberra are going in the right direction to get back into the finals."

You better believe it.

Sign another back rower when you already have 3 internationals on the books and play a reserve grade winger at Fullback.

I Reckon Elliot is well and truely getting his resume filled out for the head coaching position one day.

you must be fun to hang around.

bateman is a gun and NKS was great when given the chance and can more than handle fullback as he has shown in the trials, he had TSV, fusitua and mamarlo in front of him at the warriors, all great players.

you have no idea really
raider 4 life
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

If Papalli was always going to move to prop (which he was whether this year or next- his lack of agility was starting to tell defensively) then actually signing another international backrower AND keeping the Kangaroo prop on the books does look like a nifty signing in hindsight.

We didn't get everything we wanted but looking at the forward pack we can see the plan to add lungs and mobility has been followed (lets face it, the big bopper plan failed) and we have internationals front row and back row, a value moneyball in Lui and some kids barging the door down in Hors and hopefully Guler does too. At least that looks good and thought out.

Halves is where Stick has taken his big risk. Golden boy Jack. We'll know in 2 months.

CNK has his chance- if not we can try Rapana there and Oldy on his wing...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

On the Road with the Raiders: Check out some of the behind the scenes action from our first away trip of the season: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/03 ... e-raiders/

Captains Run: Raiders v Titans: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/03 ... -v-titans/
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Play like the Warriors did today, and we’ll do well
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

scotchberry wrote: March 15, 2019, 10:25 pm
gergreg wrote: March 15, 2019, 7:52 am I don't get the clear underrating of the Bulldogs. Considering their roster they played with plenty of spirit and were pretty good last year. Even when they lost they were very competitive.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
I predicting them to be the West Tigers of last year.

They will finish around 12th but hold their own most weeks
They didn’t hold their own today - Warriors looked good but Bulldogs were as foul as Foran’s hair!
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

roneel78 wrote: March 15, 2019, 7:22 am Worst attack in the NrL? What do you base that on? They weren’t the worst last year and finished the year quite well....they put 36 on newcastle in newcastle, 36 on the broncos, 27 on the warriors, 38 on the dragons at kogarah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gees those dogs were awful
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders get Jack Wighton and Josh Hodgson back together

It only happened once in 2018 - and it resulted in the Canberra Raiders' biggest win of the season. The Green Machine will have Josh Hodgson and Jack Wighton for just their second game together in 18 months.

Former Kangaroos five-eighth Matthew Johns is a fan of Wighton's move from fullback to No.6. "I like it. One of the things you're seeing these days is the six and the one are playing such similar roles," Johns said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 514g0.html

Titans' Cartwright seeks NRL redemption: https://au.sports.yahoo.com/titans-cart ... --spt.html
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

nemesis wrote: March 16, 2019, 12:03 pm
scotchberry wrote: March 15, 2019, 10:23 pm

You better believe it.

you must be fun to hang around.

bateman is a gun and NKS was great when given the chance and can more than handle fullback as he has shown in the trials, he had TSV, fusitua and mamarlo in front of him at the warriors, all great players.

you have no idea really
:thumbsup
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Simonsson's career has Sticky start, times two

Paul Simonsson still remembers the role Ricky Stuart played in ending his North Sydney debut in heartache. But 28 years later, the Canberra Raiders coach will hand his son Bailey a dream NRL debut.

"I played against the Canberra Raiders on North Sydney Oval [on debut]," Paul recalls. "We kicked off, Canberra played out their first set of six. Ricky Stuart kicked it over my head, I went to turn and my studs got caught and the boot didn't swivel at all and I tore my cruciate and I was gone for the year.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 513uw.html

Have Canberra missed another Premiership window? https://www.zerotackle.com/have-canberr ... dow-42003/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Aidan ready to Sezer the Canberra Raiders: Matty Johns

Sezer will assume the responsibility of leading the Green Machine around the park against the Gold Coast Titans on Sunday. Matthew Johns backed Sezer to also take the next step in steering the ship on his own.

"I reckon he can. Generally the ability to manage a game by yourself is the last piece in the puzzle for halfbacks," Johns said. You look at Cooper Cronk - his first five years he shared it and played half a field. Then the back half of his career he's just run the whole ship.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 514g2.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Squad Update: Raiders v Titans: Sam Williams and Jack Murchie have traveled to the Gold Coast and remain in the Canberra Raiders squad of 19 for the clash with the Titans, with Luke Bateman and JJ Collins dropping out of the squad after playing for Mounties on Friday night: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/03 ... -v-titans/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders downsize should suit against Gold Coast Titans

Big used to be beautiful, but now small is supreme. The Canberra Raiders will run out their trimmed-down forward pack against the Gold Coast Titans on the Gold Coast on Sunday.

"I think that will suit Canberra. Slimming down and having not quite as big a pack as they had will give them a little bit more with the football," Matthew Johns said. "I think losing some of those big blokes won't hurt them at all."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 514rb.html
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

We need to play up tempo. Make our metres off quick play the balls.

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

scotchberry wrote: March 15, 2019, 10:33 pm

All hail “the leader”
I feel your frustration scotchberry... I was once angry, frustrated, and full of rage at Rick and the boys. I had lost the faith. I was no longer bleeding green!

But Rick has only had the 5 seasons here, he should get hthe benefit of the doubt. The man is 10th all-time in NRL games coached! And it really looks as though all the off season soul-searching will pay off big time in 2019. Everything I’ve heard from him convinces me he’s learned from his mistakes and is ready to remedy the problems obvious to all of us in 2017-2018. I can’t not believe the man.

Getting behind Rick these past few weeks has felt like a huge weight lifted. My wife has told me I’m far more pleasant to be around, the dog no longer whimpers in the corner when I walk in the door. I can’t wait for Rick to deliver tomorrow night and we go 1-0!!!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

We are going to win on Sunday. I’ve never been more confident of this fact.

And then it’s going to be ever so sweet to rub it in the face of doubters like dubby and Brew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: March 14, 2019, 9:30 pm Bryan Fletcher predicts Canberra Raiders will concede most points in the competition in Round 1.
So..more than 40 Fletch ??
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders forward Elliott Whitehead aims to shed versatility tag

Canberra's Elliott Whitehead is hoping to shelve his versatility tag and become a mainstay on the edge again after conceding that two seasons of covering different positions had unsettled his rhythm.

"Hopefully I can stay in the back row for this year and get some consistency back in my game. The last couple of years I've moved around with injuries. If I must again then so be it but I'd like to hopefully stay in one spot as much as I can.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/17/can ... ility-tag/

VIDEO: How Ennis will help the Canberra Raiders attack

Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson talks about what it’s like to work with 2016 premiership-winning hooker Michael Ennis.

Video: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/17/how ... rs-attack/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Titans v Raiders - Round 1

Sam Squiers and Jamie Soward preview the last game of the opening Round as Gold Coast Titans take on Canberra Raiders at Cbus Super Stadium.

Video: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/14/tit ... --round-1/
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

greeneyed wrote:VIDEO: Titans v Raiders - Round 1

Sam Squiers and Jamie Soward preview the last game of the opening Round as Gold Coast Titans take on Canberra Raiders at Cbus Super Stadium.

Video: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/14/tit ... --round-1/
How do I subscribe to this insightful and entertaining video content?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?