19%
Titans 13+
12%

Total votes: 26

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Rd 1 V Titans: Teams and Previews

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson had initial concerns over Jack Wighton switch to five eighth

Canberra co-captain Josh Hodgson has revealed he initially told Ricky Stuart that Jack Wighton's switch to five-eighth wouldn't work and the Raiders coach should abandon the plan.

"I told him very bluntly I don't think it will work, he's just too good at the back for us defensively and when he gets the ball in his hands to move him. I was pushing against it. But once I went to training and I saw the boys train a few times, I saw him with the ball in his hands and I changed my mind.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/hodgson-ha ... fcb4147da0
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Michael Ennis hypes up new Canberra Raiders recruit John Bateman as a combination clone of James Graham and Anthony Watmough

Rugby league great Michael Ennis has only travelled to Canberra a handful of times in his new role as a coaching consultant for the club, but their shiny new toy in John Bateman has already caught his eye.

''He's a guy that I've really enjoyed watching in the Super League and he's a guy that reminds me so much of James Graham, not so much in stature, but he's one of those guys that no matter who you support, you can't help but fall in love because he's someone that just gives so much to their club and team,'' Ennis said.

Read more: https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... nkb6s4vxg3
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Unpredictable Green Machine has Matthew Johns scratching his head

They're the unpredictable Green Machine that has former Kangaroo Matthew Johns scratching his head.

"Certainly their expectations are lower. A few years ago they came out of nowhere playing a different style of football with that big pack of forwards, playing off offloads, playing unorthodox, playing open football, shocked everyone and raised expectations and they found that hard to back up," Johns said. "I've got them in that bunch of teams that you don't know what they're going to do."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 510le.html
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: February 27, 2019, 4:05 pm Michael Ennis hypes up new Canberra Raiders recruit John Bateman as a combination clone of James Graham and Anthony Watmough

Rugby league great Michael Ennis has only travelled to Canberra a handful of times in his new role as a coaching consultant for the club, but their shiny new toy in John Bateman has already caught his eye.

''He's a guy that I've really enjoyed watching in the Super League and he's a guy that reminds me so much of James Graham, not so much in stature, but he's one of those guys that no matter who you support, you can't help but fall in love because he's someone that just gives so much to their club and team,'' Ennis said.

Read more: https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... nkb6s4vxg3
It's pretty clear to me now that "weird gypsy strength" is what we've been missing for the last 2 years. I think Mulholland has finally cracked it!

But hailing this guy as the 2nd coming of James Graham with added bonus Watmough ... Good grief.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

If Bateman lives anywhere near up to this hype and we can keep this pack healthy then business is looking a bit better than originally forecast.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Our issue is the same as it has been for the past two seasons. Allowing the opposition quick play the balls, and huge metres every set of six, then putting pressure on our edge defenders to make decisions on the back foot. We need players capable of dominant tackles and winning the ruck in the middle - if John Bateman can help do that, it will make a huge difference.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Hodgson explains why Canberra Raiders won’t be ‘Faders’ in 2019

Last year Canberra returned to old ways. The Raiders, became the ‘Faders’. But co-captain Josh Hodgson says they have turned a corner, opting for mobility over size.

“We’ve got a different-sized team this year compared to previous years,” he said. “When you’ve got a big pack and when you’re under the pump for so long with big men who are close to 120kg, it takes its toll. It’s not that they were unfit, but it makes it a lot easier when the guys are lighter.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... nt=control
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Nice burn Hodgo...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

TongueFTW wrote:Our issue is the same as it has been for the past two seasons. Allowing the opposition quick play the balls, and huge metres every set of six, then putting pressure on our edge defenders to make decisions on the back foot. We need players capable of dominant tackles and winning the ruck in the middle - if John Bateman can help do that, it will make a huge difference.
This is exactly right, we just haven’t learn’t how to wrestle properly and slow the other team down. I hope the wrestle has been part of there defensive training this year although didn’t see much in the trial.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Green Chapel

Post by Green Chapel »

Will be a tough game .... Raiders will win by 2 -7.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Woodgers wrote: February 27, 2019, 8:12 pm If Bateman lives anywhere near up to this hype and we can keep this pack healthy then business is looking a bit better than originally forecast.
Not better than some of us forecast. A few of us true believers honestly think we'll go all the way this season!
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

The Rickman wrote: February 28, 2019, 12:16 pm
Woodgers wrote: February 27, 2019, 8:12 pm If Bateman lives anywhere near up to this hype and we can keep this pack healthy then business is looking a bit better than originally forecast.
Not better than some of us forecast. A few of us true believers honestly think we'll go all the way this season!
I feel like yourself and PigRickMan have recently stumbled across the hypnotist that Mr Burns used on the class of 92 Nuclear Power Plant softball team. And Sticky is still messing around with sports psychologists like it's 2001! Always a step ahead fellas....
Image Image
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

We'll win.
Big time advantage in the HC spot.

Easy money. 1-0. Let's go.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Woodgers wrote: February 28, 2019, 1:19 pm
The Rickman wrote: February 28, 2019, 12:16 pm
I feel like yourself and PigRickMan have recently stumbled across the hypnotist that Mr Burns used on the class of 92 Nuclear Power Plant softball team. And Sticky is still messing around with sports psychologists like it's 2001! Always a step ahead fellas....
Image Image
Come on Woodgers (or should I say Rickgers??)... get onboard before it's too late!

After Round 1 you're just going to be classed as a bandwagoner, get on at the bottom floor!!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Thinking about getting on board with the Rickman Cliqueman Gang.. Ricky has my full support until round 8, but if he hasn't delivered a premiership by round 8 it's pitchforks and torches out from me!!

Sid by name, SiRickman'd by nature
Last edited by Sid on February 28, 2019, 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

OK i'm in.

The Leader is good, the Leader is great, I surrender my will as of this date.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

PigRickman wrote: February 28, 2019, 1:20 pm We'll win.
Big time advantage in the HC spot.

Easy money. 1-0. Let's go.
Sezer field goal too !!
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Count me in for the Rickman Clique, man....

It’s time to be more positive about our esteemed HC! He’s been doing the job for nearly 2 decades!! He watches the game closer than anyone else in the business!!!

Get Rick, or die tryin’
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders pleased with Jack Wighton switch from fullback to five-eighth

Raiders star Jack Wighton has passed his first Test as Canberra's five-eighth in flying colours, after critics questioned Ricky Stuart's decision to vacate the No.1 jersey.

"Jack and I, and our new fullback Charnze (Nicoll-Klokstad) were the only three blokes who played the full eighty minutes," Jarrod Croker said. "Jack needed a full hit out at five-eighth and he went really well. He loves that front line defence, he loves that contact, he's a physical boy. We saw him set up a few nice tries in the second half.

Read more: https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... kd2xyaizjv

Audio: Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker speaks to Big Sports Breakfast about the club's preparations for the 2019 season: http://media.skyracing.com.au/POD/1/EuRr9N.mp3
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

mamando wrote: February 28, 2019, 2:04 pm Count me in for the Rickman Clique, man....

It’s time to be more positive about our esteemed HC! He’s been doing the job for nearly 2 decades!! He watches the game closer than anyone else in the business!!!

Get Rick, or die tryin’
Rickmando
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I love me some Rickmando!!
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Rickmando has just circled round 8 in his calendar... can’t wait to shove it in a few peoples faces.

The Great Man will silence all the doubters. Just needs a few things to go his way for once!!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I reckon, I mean Rickon, GE is just as excited about round 8 as you blokes.

Is everyone going to change from ***Rick*** to ***cappy*** or ***whitey***?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Mine will be changed to PigRicktheKingman
because we'll be 8-0 and +115 in F/A
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

Is Rick Sanchez taken yet?
Long time creeper....... First time poster
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Can I change my name from Rick to The Original Rick. I really should have trademarked Image️ this 8 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker the latest to heap praise on new recruit John Bateman

The Canberra Raiders just can't stop talking about the arrival of John Bateman in the nation's capital.

"John Bateman is the one that I'm really looking forward to see play. He's a lot smaller than I thought he would be. He's only 92 or 93kgs. He's got a bit of an Anthony Watmough shape about him. So, I'm excited to see how he goes.

Read more: https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... eippawu97f

Will Wighton’s move to five-eighth pay off? https://www.zerotackle.com/will-wighton ... off-41056/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Attacking Canberra Raiders lock down on NRL defence

Canberra's scoring ability has never been an issue in five seasons under coach Ricky Stuart, but expect to see a more defensively-minded Raiders outfit this year.

"You look at the top teams in the competition and they aren't conceding many points form week to week so it's something we've been working on," Josh Hodgson said. "We've got a few new faces at the club so that freshens things up a bit and that's probably a good time to bring in some new structures and tighten things up."

Read more: https://www.sbs.com.au/news/attacking-r ... rl-defence
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

boydy80 wrote: February 28, 2019, 5:46 pm Is Rick Sanchez taken yet?
Wubba lubba dub dub
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

greeneyed wrote: February 28, 2019, 7:09 am Josh Hodgson explains why Canberra Raiders won’t be ‘Faders’ in 2019

Last year Canberra returned to old ways. The Raiders, became the ‘Faders’. But co-captain Josh Hodgson says they have turned a corner, opting for mobility over size.

“We’ve got a different-sized team this year compared to previous years,” he said. “When you’ve got a big pack and when you’re under the pump for so long with big men who are close to 120kg, it takes its toll. It’s not that they were unfit, but it makes it a lot easier when the guys are lighter.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... nt=control
“I played against Ryan when he was coming through at Wigan, he’s a solid prop. He’s got a great engine and some nice hands and footwork. He’s going to put some pressure on our pack to perform.”

Doesn't sound like Hodgo expects Sutton to be in the 17 come Round One.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Im not convinced we will do any better this year. Watching the trials, I wonder what the new approach to defence means. We gave up 20 points in the first half of both games.
Also not impressed with CNK. Runs to the line and stops to dance. Easy target.
With Wighton needing half a season to come to terms with 5/8 we are looking down the barrell of a poor start to 2019 and being a long way behind.
This could be the nail in the coffin for Ricky.
Hope Im wrong but I am not going onto the season with confidence.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Geez I'm glad we weren't pumped in both trials, you'd be inconsolable...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

woppadingo wrote: March 1, 2019, 6:29 am Im not convinced we will do any better this year. Watching the trials, I wonder what the new approach to defence means. We gave up 20 points in the first half of both games.
Also not impressed with CNK. Runs to the line and stops to dance. Easy target.
With Wighton needing half a season to come to terms with 5/8 we are looking down the barrell of a poor start to 2019 and being a long way behind.
This could be the nail in the coffin for Ricky.
Hope Im wrong but I am not going onto the season with confidence.
Ricky still has plenty of tricks up his sleeve... watch for a big start this year now that he signed us up for double the amount of trials as previous years
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘An absolute freak’: Canberra Raiders’ ‘grubby’ Englishman who became a dad at 15

He is Canberra’s latest English recruit, who has been described as “grubby”, “a half gypsy” and a mix between James Graham and Anthony Watmough.

“He’s not the biggest guy and he doesn’t have the best rig on him. You saw him and thought: ‘OK, there’s nothing special’ but he has a brilliant football brain. He puts his head where other people wouldn’t put their feet — and that is what you need to make it in the NRL,” said ex team mate Heath L’Estrange

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c9acff5598
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

I'm not sure I can take another 17 days of these stories before we take the field.