Titans 13+
12%

Total votes: 26

Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Re: 2019 Rd 1 V Titans: Teams and Previews

Post by Danaman137 »

Yeah I’d prefer Abbey there at this stage. Got a bit of experience, has played some FG before and looks like he’s beefed up a bit in the offseason. Was the leading try scorer for Mounties last season so shouldnt have any trouble finishing off plays. Ideally it’s only a week or 2, then have oldfield back until Rapa is fit. ( which should be round 4-6 by reports). If he **** the bed big time in game one we look to simonsson or Kris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

CJ42 wrote: March 9, 2019, 10:17 am brad abbey will play wing if oldfield is injured. it's not ideal, but it is what it is.
Yeah, you'd think so. It's odd he wasn't used more heavily in the trials if that's the case though.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

2019 Rd 1 V Titans: Teams and Previews

Post by Sid »

If Oldfield is unfit to play round 1 I’d be surprised if we didn’t see Simonsson as the wing replacement
Last edited by Sid on March 9, 2019, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

I think Rick might go with
1. Abbey
2. Nicoll-Klockstad

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

If Abbey is to be in 1 for round he stays there. It's pointless if we are going to use CNK at fullback for the rest of the time not to play him there from the start.
Oldfield out then replace him with a temporary winger. Leave CNK at fullback.

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I've seen little from Abbey, either last year or so far this year, to indicate he is a FGer. BJ hasn't played so far this year but the right side is regularly our weakest defensively. To put Abbey outside him is to open up the right side even more. He may have put on some beef but he still doesn't look strong defensively. Our weakness is our defence. To have Abbey there would be an open invitation to the Titans imo.

The most experience Raiders player in the FB position is Jack. I still reckon that's where he should play. CNK I like, but his goal line defensive effort in the trial was to go low and fall backwards allowing a try to be scored. I've not seen enough of him to know how strong he is defensively, but Jack is a known quantity in last line defence. In 2018 he was finally delivering on his FB development until suspended.

Sam and Sezer are our most experienced halves. Play them in their best positions. The juggle is to put known 5/8 failure Jack back into that position and put a rookie at FB and combine that with a defensive liability on the right wing.
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

Abbey looks like he bulked up massively over the off-season, badly needed.

It's make or break for him in his first couple of opportunities this year for mine
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

CJ42 wrote: March 9, 2019, 10:17 am brad abbey will play wing if oldfield is injured. it's not ideal, but it is what it is.
Last year, I would've agreed but not so sure now. But I think Abbey has fallen out of favour a bit. He wasn't even named for Bega remember.

I also get the impression they're keen on Simonsson. He's definitely got the right body type for first grade. He didn't have a great first trial but I reckon his ceiling is very high.

In regard to Hingano, I agree with the idea that we don't know how good he is because he's never played in the halves for us. I'd love to see him get several games in a row with a stable team around him.

Incidentally - and this isn't in relation to how good or not he is - Hingano is a deceptively big unit. I saw him the other day and he's comparable to Wighton. I was surprised.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Simonsson or Abbey. Either way I am not fussed.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Maybe it's the wild Turkey taking, but Marge you've got a butt that won't quit, hey they've got those big chewy pretzels here #@ hhrgghfrthg $5 get outta here

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Ruben Daley wrote:
Last year, I would've agreed but not so sure now. But I think Abbey has fallen out of favour a bit. He wasn't even named for Bega remember.

I also get the impression they're keen on Simonsson. He's definitely got the right body type for first grade. He didn't have a great first trial but I reckon his ceiling is very high.

In regard to Hingano, I agree with the idea that we don't know how good he is because he's never played in the halves for us. I'd love to see him get several games in a row with a stable team around him.

Incidentally - and this isn't in relation to how good or not he is - Hingano is a deceptively big unit. I saw him the other day and he's comparable to Wighton. I was surprised.
I would never have compared Wighton to Hingano size wise. Interesting.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

did I hear titans named their side today?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Not sure . Titans listed players who are playing in Qcup this weekend.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

bonehead wrote: March 9, 2019, 3:20 pm did I hear titans named their side today?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
It's against the NRL procedures to announce early. All have to be done at 4pm Tuesday (it was that time last year anyway).
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

If Oldy out Simonsson will definitely replace him. Put the house on it. Abbey's no chance, he won't be at the club by June 30
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

Hazza wrote: March 9, 2019, 3:40 pm If Oldy out Simonsson will definitely replace him. Put the house on it. Abbey's no chance, he won't be at the club by June 30
Got the inside word, Hazza?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 9, 2019, 3:40 pm Broncos named their round 1 squad

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/08/tho ... one-squad/

That's definitely against the NRL rules on team lists.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

gergreg wrote: March 9, 2019, 2:59 pm
Ruben Daley wrote:
CJ42 wrote: March 9, 2019, 10:17 am
I would never have compared Wighton to Hingano size wise. Interesting.

Yeah, me neither.

Just checked and the Raiders’ website lists them as:

Wighton - 189cm, 93kg
Hingano - 183cm, 92kg

So obviously Jack’s got him for height but Hingano is still tall and he’s pretty much the same weight so looks thicker.

I saw him at a distance next to Sezer and assumed he was some junior second-rower. He’s not quite that big but he made Sezer look small.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: March 9, 2019, 3:58 pm
LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 9, 2019, 3:40 pm Broncos named their round 1 squad

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/08/tho ... one-squad/

That's definitely against the NRL rules on team lists.
Given the Debelen fiasco there is no saying the NRL have rules in place for 2019. Alternatively, the Broncos usually play by their own rules.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I think Stuart will pick Simonsson there honestly.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders 'grit teeth' for hectic NRL opening of three games in 12 days

The Canberra Raiders are confident an extra long pre-season regiment will prepare them for a hectic three-week start to the season, coach Ricky Stuart declaring they just have to grit their teeth and get on with it.

"There's no excuses," Stuart said. "We'll handle it, we're fit and given we get no bad luck with injuries, we'll be fine. We've got to be men about the fact that we've got a five-day turnaround and we'll get through it. It's not going to be the worst thing to happen to us this year, we've just got to toughen up and respond."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 5132g.html
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Gee whiz the excuses are starting early this year it seems

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How family and footy saved Canberra Raiders new recruit John Bateman

The Raiders new recruit John Bateman concedes becoming a father at just 16 years of age forced him to grow up quicker than most. He is adamant that rugby league and his close-knit family has been his salvation and if he didn’t have those two anchors in his life, he wouldn’t be here in Canberra.

“It is a tough upbringing and a few of my mates were going down the wrong tracks. But becoming a dad made me grow up a lot faster and realise that I was responsible for a little girl and that I had to step up.”

Read more: https://the-riotact.com/how-family-and- ... _source=ra
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: March 10, 2019, 5:36 pm Canberra Raiders 'grit teeth' for hectic NRL opening of three games in 12 days

The Canberra Raiders are confident an extra long pre-season regiment will prepare them for a hectic three-week start to the season, coach Ricky Stuart declaring they just have to grit their teeth and get on with it.

"There's no excuses," Stuart said. "We'll handle it, we're fit and given we get no bad luck with injuries, we'll be fine. We've got to be men about the fact that we've got a five-day turnaround and we'll get through it. It's not going to be the worst thing to happen to us this year, we've just got to toughen up and respond."

We have to play three games in 12 days?!? That's ridiculous!! Most teams only have to play three games in 14 days!

It's a bloody outrage!!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Rickman wrote:
greeneyed wrote: March 10, 2019, 5:36 pm Canberra Raiders 'grit teeth' for hectic NRL opening of three games in 12 days

We have to play three games in 12 days?!? That's ridiculous!! Most teams only have to play three games in 14 days!

It's a bloody outrage!!
How will Stick deal with the adversity?

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

It's so weird to complain about 3 games in 12 days when there's a seven day turnaround between games 2 and 3!

In reality it's a five-day turnaround followed by a normal one. Anyone else find this a weird way to complain about a five day turnaround??
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

julian87 wrote: March 10, 2019, 7:14 am I think Stuart will pick Simonsson there honestly.
He looked way more comfortable on the wing than at fullback. We'd have to have the youngest round 1 side in the comp if him, guler and horsburgh are all chosen.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

The Rickman wrote: March 11, 2019, 10:45 am It's so weird to complain about 3 games in 12 days when there's a seven day turnaround between games 2 and 3!

In reality it's a five-day turnaround followed by a normal one. Anyone else find this a weird way to complain about a five day turnaround??
I don't see it as the Raiders complaining at all, I see it as a journo needing to provide content to an audience when nothing of any consequence is happening and so jumps onto about the only topic available. Much ado about nothing.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Cranky Old Man wrote: March 11, 2019, 11:18 am
The Rickman wrote: March 11, 2019, 10:45 am It's so weird to complain about 3 games in 12 days when there's a seven day turnaround between games 2 and 3!

I don't see it as the Raiders complaining at all, I see it as a journo needing to provide content to an audience when nothing of any consequence is happening and so jumps onto about the only topic available. Much ado about nothing.
Oh yeah, I wasn't specifically blaming the Raiders, I just found it a REALLY strange way to complain about a single 5-day turnaround.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Rickman wrote:Anyone else find this a weird way to complain about a five day turnaround??
*puts hand up*
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

2019 Rd 1 V Titans: Teams and Previews

Post by Sid »

gangrenous wrote:
The Rickman wrote:Anyone else find this a weird way to complain about a five day turnaround??
*puts hand up*
Yeah you’d get the point across more saying 2 games in 5 days rather than 3 in 12.. two 6 game turnarounds is also 3 games in 12 days

But I do find it weird that any team would begin a season with a 5 day turnaround.. wouldn’t that be the easiest part of the year to plan a draw?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad fills Canberra Raiders fullback void

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad has put to bed every question the Canberra Raiders had about who would fill the void at fullback as he firms for their NRL season opener following a roll of the dice.

"It would mean so much [to play in round one]. It has been hard, it was always a risk to move here. You’re moving away from family, I’ve had to do five weeks without seeing my family. You’re coming here not sure if you’re going to get the position, but that is what I liked and enjoyed about the situation I was in.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 5137u.html
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We've got 24 games in 174 days...outrageous..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders latest Englishman Ryan Sutton out to silence doubters

New Canberra forward Ryan Sutton knows he has a lot of hype to live up to as an Englishman joining the NRL, and he wouldn't have it any other way.

"At 23 I have been told that it is young for a middle and really, they don't really peak for another four or five years," Sutton said. "So, I think that it's a good thing that I have just started to scratch the surface of what I might be capable of.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/11/i-w ... -doubters/

Boyd bracing for Raider revenge: https://www.titans.com.au/news/2019/03/ ... r-revenge/

VIDEO: Simonsson grateful to be back in green: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/03 ... -in-green/