So I've thought about it, and I'm prepared to give Stuart the benefit of the doubt to start 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: So I've thought about it, and I'm prepared to give Stuart the benefit of the doubt to start 2019

Post by The Nickman »

I will, I will, just give me seven rounds, old friend.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Re: So I've thought about it, and I'm prepared to give Stuart the benefit of the doubt to start 2019

Post by Hazza »

Keghead wrote: February 20, 2019, 11:44 am
Hazza wrote: February 20, 2019, 11:21 am
The Nickman wrote: February 20, 2019, 10:37 am A world class centre though apparently, Hazza.
haha look if he's a world class centre there's far more world class centres running round than I thought
Ha Ha this from a bloke who's fav player is Adam Clydsdale and the whole argument started by a nobody like Dubby.

At least come up with a solid basis for your argument.
He was a tremendous footballer that Adam Clydesdale
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:
edwahu wrote: February 20, 2019, 10:23 am That team lost 8 of the next 9 after the move him to center, so safe to say it wasn't his fault. Odd that so many think center is his best spot given that record as well.

They have to stick with him for at least half a season imo.
I've never understood the love people have had for Jack at centre, even in this thread people have referred to him as a "world class" centre, and in the games I saw him play there, he was never above average. Certainly not better than the two current centres we have.

For mine, his top half a dozen (at least) games have all been at fullback. I swear people just rewrite history when they remember the past.
It's pretty obvious that there is genuine potential for Jack Wighton to become a rep quality centre. When he was still considered a rookie he came into the Indigenous side, in the centres and was arguably the best player on the park, the 2 games I can remember.
Further to this is his physical attributes. Big, fast and agile. Rock solid in defence in 1-on-1 situations and able to look competent in what some say is the toughest position on the field to defend. Now I'm not suggesting, nor have I ever, that he is a world class centre but better judges than you or I think that he has what it takes.
There is no shame in admitting that Gould has a better football brain than you or I and if you honestly think otherwise you are flat out wrong. Take your maroon goggles off for a moment. Put aside Gould's agendas for a moment and the saying 'his forgotten more about xxxxxx than I'll ever know' applies with him.

The point is moot as I think he has passed his 'centre' window of opportunity.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Put aside my maroon glasses? I haven't even mentioned Phil Gould in this thread!

This is a strange line of attack, even from you Gerg :lol:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:Put aside my maroon glasses? I haven't even mentioned Phil Gould in this thread!

This is a strange line of attack, even from you Gerg Image
Ok I take it back. We both agree that Gould is a far better judge of talent and general football knowledge than you or I?

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: February 20, 2019, 1:29 pm
The Nickman wrote:Put aside my maroon glasses? I haven't even mentioned Phil Gould in this thread!

Ok I take it back. We both agree that Gould is a far better judge of talent and general football knowledge than you or I?

I can't speak for you, but he definitely knows a lot more than I do!

I don't even know half the league these days.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:

So do you agree with his comments that Wighton could be a rep quality centre if given the opportunity?

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: February 20, 2019, 1:39 pm
The Nickman wrote:

So do you agree with his comments that Wighton could be a rep quality centre if given the opportunity?

Sure, why not? I think every coach who has ever coached Jack Wighton has raved about him, that couldn't be for nothing.

Really unsure where you're going with this. Really seems like you're fighting an argument that no-one else showed up to.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

This is the bloke that thought Anthony Griffin was the answer at Penrith. Phil does get it wrong occasionally
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:
gergreg wrote: February 20, 2019, 1:39 pm
The Nickman wrote:

Sure, why not? I think every coach who has ever coached Jack Wighton has raved about him, that couldn't be for nothing.

Really unsure where you're going with this. Really seems like you're fighting an argument that no-one else showed up to.
Nickman. I've never understood the love people have for Wighton at centre....

Greg. I'm trying to rationalise why people think Wighton would be a good if not high quality centre for you. Just trying to help a fellow fan out.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Who the hell is Greg??
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:Who the hell is Greg??
My alter ego

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I'm not sure I like him.

Wonder what Phil Gould thinks??
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

He's a passionate rugby league fan. Of course Phil loves him.

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Phil thinks gregs tired and will hopefully move him on before the end of the season
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Well, Phil watches a lot more rugby league than us, so I can't disagree with him there. #timetogogreg
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dunno about that. I think I probably missed about 10 games over the course of last season. I don't watch as closely as Stick though, which goes without saying.

robtheraider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Chris O'Sullivan

Post by robtheraider »

All I know is i'm going to round 2 Vs the Storm and looking forward to either cheering or shouting incomprehensible hillbilly gibberish in the last 20 minutes regardless of the result.

In other words, fairly standard Phil Gould commentary
To all the people with telekinetic powers...please raise my hand.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

The Nickman wrote:Actually, scratch my last comment, the person who referred to him as a world class centre was yeh raiders, who literally has never had any idea.
Pffffew I'm cleared of that.. I did want to see him at centre more at the time,
If he has a shocker in the trial he's back to fullback to start the season for mine and Williams goes to 5/8 to start the season, remember rickys start last year and use of his squad, I'm not sure this is a good idea

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

The Nickman wrote: February 20, 2019, 1:31 pm

Ray 'Nickman' Warren.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I also note that Phil Gould thought Luke Lewis and Michael Gordon were on their last legs (about 5 years ago) and that he said Jamal Idris and Segeyaro were going to be “absolute superstars” of the game.

Gould has the occasional great insight into the game, but I don’t think he’s half as insightful as he was two decades ago.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

magoo wrote: February 20, 2019, 11:24 am It's because gould bangs on about how Jack would be a origin player if he was a centre
Good lesson is not to listen to commentators when they talk about Raiders players, remember them talking up McCrone for origin :lol:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Sure Gould knows more about footy than me. That still doesn't mean he's not 99% idiot.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Manbush wrote: February 20, 2019, 10:07 pm
magoo wrote: February 20, 2019, 11:24 am It's because gould bangs on about how Jack would be a origin player if he was a centre
Good lesson is not to listen to commentators when they talk about Raiders players, remember them talking up McCrone for origin :lol:
Yes indeed. Andrew johns stated it many times. Put down the glass pipe joey
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

I´m definitely going to start the year hoping for the best, and try to offer the team and staff a clean slate to begin with.

I agree with some of the reasons for optimism also. I think our pack looks much stronger, certainly much more mobile. There is some real quality there with Papalii, J Bateman, Whitehead, Hodgson and Tapine.

I can´t withdraw from pessimism when I look at the numbers 7 and below, however. We really are so thin in the backs, in both depth and quality. Any sort of serious injury to Wighton, Leilua or Croker (or further setbacks with Rapana) and it´s hard to see the season amounting to much. Let´s hope I´m wrong!
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

The sooner he moves on the better. Our club deserves better!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: February 20, 2019, 1:03 pmThere is no shame in admitting that Gould has a better football brain than you or I and if you honestly think otherwise you are flat out wrong.
When? in 1995?
Or today here in 2019?

It's possibleGould knows more about RL today than everyone on this site, he should given he's employed to speak about the game as an authority and is a GM of a club... but we've also seen absolutely no evidence of that in the past what? 5-6 years, so far as his TV commentary has gone. Granted i only tune into this **** when i have to (i.e when Fox dont have the game live) but everytime i've heard him speak in the last 5 years he's come across as a man who... frankly... doesnt think he needs to and certainly doesnt want to understand the game today. Typical "better in my day" sort of attitude

I would also push against the idea that just because someone was something, that they'll always remain so. There is half a dozen people on this site who i think know and understand a game of RL better than virtually every tv personality we have.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

There you go Gerg, someone's finally shown up to your argument!
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Pigman wrote: February 21, 2019, 9:37 am
gergreg wrote: February 20, 2019, 1:03 pmThere is no shame in admitting that Gould has a better football brain than you or I and if you honestly think otherwise you are flat out wrong.
When? in 1995?
Or today here in 2019?

It's possibleGould knows more about RL today than everyone on this site, he should given he's employed to speak about the game as an authority and is a GM of a club... but we've also seen absolutely no evidence of that in the past what? 5-6 years, so far as his TV commentary has gone. Granted i only tune into this **** when i have to (i.e when Fox dont have the game live) but everytime i've heard him speak in the last 5 years he's come across as a man who... frankly... doesnt think he needs to and certainly doesnt want to understand the game today. Typical "better in my day" sort of attitude

I would also push against the idea that just because someone was something, that they'll always remain so. There is half a dozen people on this site who i think know and understand a game of RL better than virtually every tv personality we have.
Yeah i'll agree with that summary and Gould definitely is of that old school notion who wants to talk about how much simpler and better things were back in the day when players trained on Tuesday and Thursday. The problem the game is experiencing with Gould at the moment is he is trying to run the game from the media, and it must drive the NRL up the wall that he thinks he has all the easy solutions to sometimes complex issues but his voice is biggest enough just to bag everyone he has an agenda with even if he couldn't do it better himself. His commentary on the game he is viewing is based around nitpicking at every single little issue and decision in between having false old man squabbles with the rest of the commentators. His over the top criticism of the officials is quite incredible when you consider he is GM of a club in a high participation area of the game where there have been known issues with the treatment of junior officials in that jurisdiction, and he's spent the past 10 years wrestling with Roy Masters on who can be the saviour of RL in the Western Suburbs of Sydney since the big bad GWS put a marker down.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, people bag Andrew Johns or Brad Fittler because they aren't articulate but they offer far more insight into the game than a lot of others because it hasn't changed that much since they played it. We're seeing that now with Ennis and a few others and of course it won't always be a hard and fast rule that people commentating fresh out of the game will be better (see Corey Parker) but as a generalisation that works for me. Cronk is going to be really good when it's his time, you can already tell.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

the problem with johns and fitler is it really doesnt **** matter how much they do or dont know about the game if they cant articulate it in a way that is useful :lol:
I dont doubt they know a lot more about the game than anyone else, but maybe their minds aren't always on that job at hand

Now obviously this isnt Johns or Fitler, but if it were me on camera, and im half cut on air and mostly concerned about whether TEEEEDDDY! on Friday Night Footy cashed my FTS ticket... it kind of wont matter what i do or dont know.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Haha yeah agreed. Johns and Fittler are **** idiots. Ennis is a good example, Cooper Cronk is a good example, even Matty Johns is a good example when he's being serious... but Andrew Johns and Fittler are **** idiots.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I reckon everything Gus says is part of some sort of 4D chess move so you can't take his comments at face value.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:There you go Gerg, someone's finally shown up to your argument!
Why would I argue that? Pig isn't actually disagreeing with anything I stated.
I believe channel 9 pays Gould to be a heel. His opinions on 100% footy were more interesting, again when you ignore the agendas.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Jesus, you're all over the place on this one Gerg... if that even IS your real name.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:Jesus, you're all over the place on this one Gerg... if that even IS your real name.
You're about as funny as one of Mariners least funny memes.