Michael Ennis joins Canberra Raiders as coaching consultant

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Michael Ennis joins Canberra Raiders as coaching consultant

Post by BJ »

Here’s photos from the game showing the two most populated sections of the ground. Other photos show banks of stands basically empty. ImageImage
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

I don't mind the VC BUT it should take place after both teams are on the field. I seriously don't understand why the Raiders never gets to witness it on the field. I think it would pump them up!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Here’s a 12,500 crowd at the Asia cup soccer match in 2015. Noting the Meninga stand was only half full due to officials segmented off areas.

Watch the very short videos to see what an honest crowd at Bruce stadium looks like.

I only bang on about this because I used to get more accurate crowd info from a match day food vendor and twice decided to do some randomised crowd counting of sections.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a ... FC20150102
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

But the official crowds are... the official crowds. You can't say that, my estimate, by looking and counting a section or two is more accurate than the clicks/beeps at the turnstiles.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:But the official crowds are... the official crowds. You can't say that, my estimate, by looking and counting a section or two is more accurate than the clicks/beeps at the turnstiles.
Cause you can't modify the figures or anything...
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Some interesting posts in here! I want three things.

1. The next chapter in that thrilling tale Gergreg
2. PhilY's autograph/autobiography
3. A lot more Ennis
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

And I'd like a signed, nude photograph of Albi, but I'm just not going to get one... again
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: February 15, 2019, 2:41 pm But the official crowds are... the official crowds. You can't say that, my estimate, by looking and counting a section or two is more accurate than the clicks/beeps at the turnstiles.
I don't know why this is even a debate at this stage but you can't say that the official figures given by the club or NRL, which are supposedly based on clicks/beeps at the turnstiles, are accurate in any sense. Counting attendance at events is always a hotly contested topic - one quick google search on the matter will demonstrate this. Organisations like the NRL have an interest in fudging crowd figures because they are trying to present the game as being at least close to on par with AFL game attendance (which it is nowhere near in reality).

If I were to guess how the NRL or club (I don't really know who is responsible) comes up with their figure for each game, I would suggest that it's a combination of the official number of Raiders season ticketholders plus the number of individual tickets sold for the game. I would be surprised if the turnstile figures are even taken in to consideration (my guess is that the NRL keeps turnstile figures on a database for their own purposes but they aren't released publicly). We have games where the attendance is recorded at 12k and others where the attendance is recorded at 9k but the crowd size by eye is easily about half from when it was 12k... so that leads me to believe that the final figure is made up of all ticketholders plus however many extra tickets sold (even though not all season ticketholders will go to every game).

Counting sold tickets, by the way, is considered a valid method of coming up with an official attendance figure, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if it is in fact the method the NRL uses. This is the method that is used when reporting on attendance at concerts and live music events so I don't see why the NRL wouldn't go down that path (particularly if it makes their product look better).
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: February 15, 2019, 2:41 pm But the official crowds are... the official crowds. You can't say that, my estimate, by looking and counting a section or two is more accurate than the clicks/beeps at the turnstiles.
This mentality is how the raiders end up on the cap all the time
Some agent walks into the office and tells us what his player is worth, and we throw rational observations out the window!

“If that’s what he’s worth, who are we to argue!”
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Raiders_Pat wrote: February 15, 2019, 4:47 pm
I don't know why this is even a debate at this stage but you can't say that the official figures given by the club or NRL, which are supposedly based on clicks/beeps at the turnstiles, are accurate in any sense. Counting attendance at events is always a hotly contested topic - one quick google search on the matter will demonstrate this. Organisations like the NRL have an interest in fudging crowd figures because they are trying to present the game as being at least close to on par with AFL game attendance (which it is nowhere near in reality).

If I were to guess how the NRL or club (I don't really know who is responsible) comes up with their figure for each game, I would suggest that it's a combination of the official number of Raiders season ticketholders plus the number of individual tickets sold for the game. I would be surprised if the turnstile figures are even taken in to consideration (my guess is that the NRL keeps turnstile figures on a database for their own purposes but they aren't released publicly). We have games where the attendance is recorded at 12k and others where the attendance is recorded at 9k but the crowd size by eye is easily about half from when it was 12k... so that leads me to believe that the final figure is made up of all ticketholders plus however many extra tickets sold (even though not all season ticketholders will go to every game).

Counting sold tickets, by the way, is considered a valid method of coming up with an official attendance figure, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if it is in fact the method the NRL uses. This is the method that is used when reporting on attendance at concerts and live music events so I don't see why the NRL wouldn't go down that path (particularly if it makes their product look better).
And that sold figure includes the X number of tickets given away to various corporate sponsors to disperse in promotions etc
Most of which go unused
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Pigman wrote: February 15, 2019, 4:56 pm And that sold figure includes the X number of tickets given away to various corporate sponsors to disperse in promotions etc
Most of which go unused
Yep... also, not sure if all junior registrations come with season tickets now... but if they do, they would definitely use those figures too (and a high number of those tickets would also go unused).
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

The Nickman wrote:And I'd like a signed, nude photograph of Albi, but I'm just not going to get one... again
I’ll trade you the one I have of him for one of you in your roo suit

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

gergreg wrote:5 minutes before kick-off the crowd waits in anticipation for the sign from the upper most section of the stadium. Woodgers scurries into position leading 3 lambs. Each lamb representing 1000 people. The crowd audibly gasps and quickly turns as one to the same spot, but at the North end of the stadium. GE's rendezvous point. Where is he, what could be holding him up, something must be wrong?

Wait, wait I can see something. How many baby goats is he leading? Yes, yes. I can see at least 4. GE finally reaches his position, had to take a bathroom break on the way, prostate playing up again it seems.

He looks to the Southern end, towards Woodgers. In tandem they both make a signal to the heavens. Meanwhile a representative from the opposition's team seeing the signal rushes to the changeroom to inform their team that the clap is on.

This grand spectacle reaches an almost uncontrollable climax as the drums start beating with fierce intensity and the fans rise as one for the Viking clap.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
This wins the greenhouse ^ Well done sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The crowd figures now at least are beeps on tickets at the gate. It’s all moot. The official crowd figures are the official crowd figures.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:The crowd figures now at least are beeps on tickets at the gate. It’s all moot. The official crowd figures are the official crowd figures.
The lengths you will stoop to, all just to avoid shepherding your herd of goats to the promised land.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

So... Michael Ennis aye?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Raiders Lim! wrote: February 16, 2019, 7:28 am So... Michael Ennis aye?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Haha yeah, I was thinking the same thing. For what it's worth, I think it's time to put all of the Ennis salt behind us and embrace this interesting situation that has a massive upside.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Just revisiting this 'Viking clap' thread and I couldn't help but notice the Iranian basketball side stealing our Viking clap overnight. How **** dare they just steal our long held traditions. Those sneaky bastards just think they can swoop in and steal what is rightfully ours, and ours alone. My Viking ancestors who migrated from the north to the Southside of Lake Burley Griffin would be rolling over in their Viking boat pyres.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Undefeated under Michael Ennis's consultancy...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

-PJ- wrote: February 25, 2019, 11:44 am Undefeated under Michael Ennis's consultancy...
8 year contract extension being prepared as we speak
Dont delete this GE
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Post by Goldcoast Raider »

I’m really happy with this signing as we will get more coverage on NRL tonight and NRL 360 🤗
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coaching consultant Michael Ennis cleared to call Green Machine games

Fox Sports has given Canberra’s coaching consultant Michael Ennis the all-clear to call Raiders games despite a perceived conflict of interest.

“No doubt it can be challenging at times, but the ability to stay in touch with the modern game is vital with my commentary and analysis.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... dc49702bda

Not surprising given the huge number of club figures already calling their club's matches. And they have more significant roles than coaching consultant.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

greeneyed wrote:Canberra Raiders coaching consultant Michael Ennis cleared to call Green Machine games

Fox Sports has given Canberra’s coaching consultant Michael Ennis the all-clear to call Raiders games despite a perceived conflict of interest.

“No doubt it can be challenging at times, but the ability to stay in touch with the modern game is vital with my commentary and analysis.”

Not surprising given the huge number of club figures already calling their club's matches. And they have more significant roles than coaching consultant.
I'm amazed there was even an article dedicated to it. How long has Brandy been calling Panthers games for? 15+ years?

Lockyer sits on the Broncos board and has been calling almost every Broncos game since he retired...

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raider Azz wrote: March 24, 2019, 11:28 am
greeneyed wrote:Canberra Raiders coaching consultant Michael Ennis cleared to call Green Machine games

I'm amazed there was even an article dedicated to it. How long has Brandy been calling Panthers games for? 15+ years?

Lockyer sits on the Broncos board and has been calling almost every Broncos game since he retired...

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Gould was supposed to stop calling Penrith Panthers games... but that "ban" halted very quickly.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Fox will happily have Alan Jones on the panel for Election coverage, but the same organisation calls Michael Ennis out for his limited Raiders connection.

News Limited must take the cake for Hypocrite of the century.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Didnt Kevin Walters call Broncos games while coaching? Not to mention the other unbareable ex-Broncos handed jobs that we have to listen to.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Corey Parker, Justin Hodges, Braith Anasta....all played somewhere

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Lockyer still says ‘we’ in commentary of Broncos games. He doesn’t even try to hide his bias.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I hate biased commentators. Personally I don’t think Ennis should be allowed just because those other blokes are allowed

Absolutely nobody should be allowed to commentate a game for a club they have an affiliation with. It’s just not enjoyable at all to hear them get excited when one team leads and despondent when the other team does

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

nacho wrote: February 13, 2019, 12:19 pm I'd rather we only use it when we're in the top 8.
Like Friday night?
Leeroy Jenkins
Brett Mullins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

The official crowd at a Raiders game is figured by adding the "tickers" on the back of each turnstile. This is added up by some person getting paid next to nothing to stand out the front of the game and check you don't bring in a 2L bottle of vodka or some smuggled Kingsleys Chicken.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Leeroy Jenkins wrote: March 25, 2019, 8:14 am
The official crowd at a Raiders game is figured by adding the "tickers" on the back of each turnstile. This is added up by some person getting paid next to nothing to stand out the front of the game and check you don't bring in a 2L bottle of vodka or some smuggled Kingsleys Chicken.
When I used to work at a certain NRL club over 10 years ago, I was part of conversations where it was determined what the crowd number should be announced as, rather than an "official" number.

I'm not sure whether this still happens.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'm pretty confident it's tickets distributed (sold and comp) + members attending
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: March 25, 2019, 6:23 pm I'm pretty confident it's tickets distributed (sold and comp) + members attending
No, that's not correct. There are scanning machines at Canberra Stadium for every ticket. One beep is one person. If members don't attend, or tickets are not used, they are not counted.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:
-TW- wrote: March 25, 2019, 6:23 pm I'm pretty confident it's tickets distributed (sold and comp) + members attending
No, that's not correct. There are scanning machines at Canberra Stadium for every ticket. One beep is one person. If members don't attend, or tickets are not used, they are not counted.
Source?