Canberra Raiders look to upgrade and extend contract for Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 30653
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Western Sydney

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by dubby » February 10, 2019, 5:35 pm

You clearly didn't read the rest of my posts.

And dude, you are practicing what you clearly despise.



Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Image

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13410
Joined: February 26, 2010, 6:01 pm
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins
Location: Canberra :(

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by Green eyed Mick » February 10, 2019, 5:58 pm

He has a unique name. Who gives a ****?

I'm more optimistic now than I was before this signing was announced.

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25639
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by PigRickman » February 10, 2019, 6:15 pm

Im usually very reserved about signing guys of his age... it's pretty rare they hit, you can cite the Rapana's all you like but for each Rapana/Cody Walker there is a wild amounts of guys who didnt make it

BUT i really like this signing and am actually excited for it. And i think he's got a real chance to be something for us. I like game.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers and Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Matt wrote:
June 25, 2019, 9:29 pm
Reed Mahoney 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
LimeGreenMachine
Glenn Lazarus
Posts: 397
Joined: January 5, 2019, 10:09 am
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by LimeGreenMachine » February 10, 2019, 6:21 pm

He has potential . He didn't look out place in first grade what I remember . And what I get in the highlights he fights in tackles , he doesn't get ragged dolled which players who are smaller do , Dufty can and has. Abbey has.

User avatar
simo
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8552
Joined: March 12, 2013, 7:50 pm
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by simo » February 10, 2019, 6:32 pm

dubby wrote:
February 10, 2019, 5:35 pm
You clearly didn't read the rest of my posts.



Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

You really cant hold that against anyone
Dont delete this GE

User avatar
simo
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8552
Joined: March 12, 2013, 7:50 pm
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by simo » February 10, 2019, 6:33 pm

Keghead wrote:
February 10, 2019, 5:15 pm
dubby wrote:Pretty stupid name. Charnze.

He'll either crash or burn. Let's hope he burns.

FTR i'm not a fan of Jack at 6. Dude was horrid in his last stint in the 6.

This will be a crap season when we've got a makeshift 6 and B grade fullback.

Oh well. Worst case we send Jack to 1 and Sam 7.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
So what has your opinion on his name got to do with anything or is it just a chance for you to giggle like an 11 year old and draw some attention to yourself it might be time to grow up a little.

Back on topic thanks this is a football forum (are the cries we hear)not a name judging competition but the thing is if he scores a couple of early try’s or looks like he might be alright you will be one of the first to be sucking up his ****.

Am I allowed to take on a big time MODERATOR like that ?OH no I will be facing my punitive punishment soon enough I suppose.

It’s no wonder the forum numbers don’t grow because it’s one rule for the chosen ones and another for the commoners.

Pathetic doesn’t quite do it justice and I’d like to see you express your opinion to his family face to face because I’m betting you go to water quick smart.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Im a massive keghead fan.
Dont delete this GE

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 23085
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by Northern Raider » February 10, 2019, 6:45 pm

Pigman wrote:
February 10, 2019, 6:15 pm
Im usually very reserved about signing guys of his age... it's pretty rare they hit, you can cite the Rapana's all you like but for each Rapana/Cody Walker there is a wild amounts of guys who didnt make it

BUT i really like this signing and am actually excited for it. And i think he's got a real chance to be something for us. I like game.
I'm normally 'meh' about reserve grade roster moves too but agree this one has some upside. He's always had raps on him. Unfortuately he's been stuck behind some decent talent at the Warriors. He's got his shot at cementing a 1st grade spot now.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 32184
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by Matt » February 10, 2019, 7:01 pm

simo wrote:
February 10, 2019, 6:33 pm
Keghead wrote:
February 10, 2019, 5:15 pm
dubby wrote:Pretty stupid name. Charnze.

He'll either crash or burn. Let's hope he burns.

FTR i'm not a fan of Jack at 6. Dude was horrid in his last stint in the 6.

This will be a crap season when we've got a makeshift 6 and B grade fullback.

Oh well. Worst case we send Jack to 1 and Sam 7.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
So what has your opinion on his name got to do with anything or is it just a chance for you to giggle like an 11 year old and draw some attention to yourself it might be time to grow up a little.

Back on topic thanks this is a football forum (are the cries we hear)not a name judging competition but the thing is if he scores a couple of early try’s or looks like he might be alright you will be one of the first to be sucking up his ****.

Am I allowed to take on a big time MODERATOR like that ?OH no I will be facing my punitive punishment soon enough I suppose.

It’s no wonder the forum numbers don’t grow because it’s one rule for the chosen ones and another for the commoners.

Pathetic doesn’t quite do it justice and I’d like to see you express your opinion to his family face to face because I’m betting you go to water quick smart.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Im a massive keghead fan.
This is a really weird thing to call Dubby out on Keghead. Its a joke that misfired. He wasnt the only one to try and make a joke about it.

That said, your comment walks a really fine line. You are basically calling out all of the mods and admins in that comment. If you feel aggrieved after comments of yours are edited, please open up a dialogue with a mod or admin of your choice.

User avatar
Rick
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6149
Joined: August 11, 2008, 3:56 pm
Favourite Player: Daley
Location: Darwin

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by Rick » February 10, 2019, 8:12 pm

simo wrote:
dubby wrote:
February 10, 2019, 5:35 pm
You clearly didn't read the rest of my posts.



Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

You really cant hold that against anyone
Dubby this is what you would call a burn ImageImageImage


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

User avatar
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8180
Joined: February 1, 2005, 10:34 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by Woodgers » February 10, 2019, 8:57 pm

Not wanting to bring the party down but i'm with Mammando. This thread is the epitome of where this club is at in terms of recruitment.

Before I go any further, the kid has my full support. He's keen to come here to make a fist of it and like any other player including the ones who have been fringe players on the books for years, I give each player a clean slate each season. Guys can and do improve and regress dramatically in this game and effort is rewarded so good luck to him. I haven't followed preseason that intensely but I've looked at some of the training photos and a guy like Oldfield looks big and strong so adding that to his pace he could finally be a genuine 1st grader this year.

I've never recalled this CNK guy whenever I've watched the Warriors and those highlights which are just ISP aren't that great. Yet people have already slotted this guy into starting fullback because he's played some NRL before at another club, albeit in a different position. He's already considered above what we have to most people because he has played NRL elsewhere, this happens over and over. He hasn't even run a ball in anger yet people are already locking him into our #1 just because he is new and interesting from what I can gather. Doesn't this speak volumes for the recruitment at this club, that everyone is excited about signing a fringe first grade footballer and want to gift him a jersey in a key position because he has played NRL at another club? Again, i'm not bagging the kid, it is what it is. I pointed this out a few weeks ago with Dylan Edwards, yes he would improve this footy club and be the best fullback we have if we move Jack to #6 but people were getting so excited like we'd won Powerball. We weren't signing Tedesco, RTS, Holmes, Ponga, Turbo, Munster to play in the #1, we were signing a bloke with potential but we're that starved of any decent signing that Dylan Edwards is considered some kind of Gary Belcher or Brett Mullins. It really does just highlight were this club is at in terms of recruitment.

I'm not being a negative Nancy, I hope this works out well for all parties and i'm not against the signing at all. I'm just highlighting that the commentary in this thread is way over the top for the actual reality of the ability of the player we've just gained.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18893
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by edwahu » February 10, 2019, 9:17 pm

I don't think people got that excited at all?

User avatar
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8180
Joined: February 1, 2005, 10:34 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by Woodgers » February 10, 2019, 9:18 pm

Mate most people have given him the #1 already. How is that not overly excited?
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126932
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by greeneyed » February 10, 2019, 9:24 pm

I guess we will see what happens come the trials... but I won't be at all surprised if he's given the #1 by the coaches.
Image

User avatar
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8180
Joined: February 1, 2005, 10:34 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by Woodgers » February 10, 2019, 9:29 pm

Me either GE. You’ve already got a 30 metre head start on the competition if you’ve played 1st grade at another club. All of a sudden you’re good enough to walk up start for the Raiders. It’s part of the point I’m making, not bagging this particular player.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.

User avatar
zim
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6846
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by zim » February 10, 2019, 10:03 pm

Our alternatives for the first 12 rounds are giving the fullback spot to Oldfield or Abbey. A guy that has never played fullback and a guy that's had 1 or maybe 2 good games for us in 1st grade.

There's always going to be some bias to a new guy coming in because the others have tried and failed or have tried and their limits are known but I don't think it's as pronounced as you're saying. On the contrary I think the particular player definitely matters and where they fit in on arrival is a direct result of "bagging them" or not. Someone like a Dylan Edwards gets a golden key to the fullback spot (without much dissent) because of his ability as a player. Someone like a Bevan French as far as I'm concerned spends the whole season in reserve grade. See also JJ Collins.

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18893
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by edwahu » February 10, 2019, 10:21 pm

Woodgers wrote:
February 10, 2019, 9:18 pm
Mate most people have given him the #1 already. How is that not overly excited?
By default, plus it seems to be based on a rumour as much as what people want.

gergreg
Steve Walters
Posts: 7152
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by gergreg » February 10, 2019, 10:47 pm

Woodgers wrote:Mate most people have given him the #1 already. How is that not overly excited?
Because we've all seen the alternative. Wighton at fullback with Williams (or equivalent weak link in the main defensive line) has not worked. I don't think it's overly excited to drag out the saying 'the definition of madness is to do exactly the same thing and expect different results'.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

julian87
Laurie Daley
Posts: 11486
Joined: October 20, 2005, 3:35 pm

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by julian87 » February 11, 2019, 6:54 am

Woodgers wrote:
February 10, 2019, 9:18 pm
Mate most people have given him the #1 already. How is that not overly excited?
I don’t think people thinking he’s likely better than Brad Abbey is them getting excited.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25639
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by PigRickman » February 11, 2019, 7:28 am

julian87 wrote:
February 11, 2019, 6:54 am
Woodgers wrote:
February 10, 2019, 9:18 pm
Mate most people have given him the #1 already. How is that not overly excited?
I don’t think people thinking he’s likely better than Brad Abbey is them getting excited.
Exactly.
He's a talented kid and is probably better than who we are going to line up at #1 without him.
I think im probably one of the posters whose most excited by this and my enthusiasm is capped at "cool, this guy is talented and hopefully he ends up being a pretty solid Michael Oldfield type player. Which would be better than Abbey"

And im not even THAT down on Abbey either
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers and Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Matt wrote:
June 25, 2019, 9:29 pm
Reed Mahoney 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

julian87
Laurie Daley
Posts: 11486
Joined: October 20, 2005, 3:35 pm

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by julian87 » February 11, 2019, 8:29 am

Pigman wrote:
February 10, 2019, 6:15 pm
Im usually very reserved about signing guys of his age... it's pretty rare they hit, you can cite the Rapana's all you like but for each Rapana/Cody Walker there is a wild amounts of guys who didnt make it

BUT i really like this signing and am actually excited for it. And i think he's got a real chance to be something for us. I like game.
Funny I’ve actually reneged a bit on this thought the last couple of seasons. In a perfect world you want to get those players young teens-20. But I also think it’s a bigger risk signing those iffy if they’ll make it or not players at that age.

If kids are studs (Cleary, Cotric, TPJ) it’s a win/win young. But I think if your coaching and receuitment is solid (and this is where I have serious, serious doubts) those guys should have a good idea if a bloke of 22-24 can do a job on a cut price salary within a salary cap given what they’ve done as a fringe player and in lower grades for their old clubs.

This might change again now that the NYC is done. But I reckon we saw a higher failure rate the last decade of kids picked on NYC form than those who worked hard and were given a chance on senior footy form. I’m likely wrong and have no stats to back it up but that’s my gut feel.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

User avatar
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8180
Joined: February 1, 2005, 10:34 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by Woodgers » February 11, 2019, 9:22 am

Is Sezer the only proven NRL player that came to the Raiders as a specialist in his position, that we have managed to beat other clubs to in approximately the past decade? I actually can't think of the last HIGH quality NRL player that we've signed.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25639
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by PigRickman » February 11, 2019, 9:26 am

Woodgers wrote:
February 11, 2019, 9:22 am
Is Sezer the only proven NRL player that came to the Raiders as a specialist in his position, that we have managed to beat other clubs to in approximately the past decade? I actually can't think of the last HIGH quality NRL player that we've signed.
No he's not because we got Sezer in a weird little DCE window. We didnt have to fend off anyone for him
The Titans didnt want him because they thought they had DCE, Manly showed some interest which died off when they thought DCE would reneg, and reports at the time said his representation approached the Bulldogs about a return to his junior club and they were told "thanks by no thanks"

I... i dont think we beat anyone for Sezer. I think we did the smart thing and got a player we wanted, made him feel loved and wanted at the time the entire league was waiting on DCE. But i dont think Sezer had another offer at the time he signed for us
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers and Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Matt wrote:
June 25, 2019, 9:29 pm
Reed Mahoney 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
LimeGreenMachine
Glenn Lazarus
Posts: 397
Joined: January 5, 2019, 10:09 am
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by LimeGreenMachine » February 11, 2019, 9:37 am

Woodgers wrote:
February 11, 2019, 9:22 am
Is Sezer the only proven NRL player that came to the Raiders as a specialist in his position, that we have managed to beat other clubs to in approximately the past decade? I actually can't think of the last HIGH quality NRL player that we've signed.

Slim pickings but maybe Joey Leilua and Dave Shillington

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25639
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by PigRickman » February 11, 2019, 9:49 am

julian87 wrote:
February 11, 2019, 8:29 am
This might change again now that the NYC is done. But I reckon we saw a higher failure rate the last decade of kids picked on NYC form than those who worked hard and were given a chance on senior footy form. I’m likely wrong and have no stats to back it up but that’s my gut feel.
Yeah that’s an interesting thought. I hadn’t really thought about that aspect of the NYC being axed
That’ll be an interesting thing to look at for sure. Not sure if you’re right either but the logic of it makes sense to me
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers and Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Matt wrote:
June 25, 2019, 9:29 pm
Reed Mahoney 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
robtheraider
David Grant
Posts: 726
Joined: June 26, 2011, 3:33 pm
Favourite Player: Chris O'Sullivan

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by robtheraider » February 11, 2019, 10:12 am

Woodgers wrote:
February 10, 2019, 9:18 pm
Mate most people have given him the #1 already. How is that not overly excited?
Only reason I have given him the 1 is because Ricky has already given it to him....it was the reason he signed.

This is the big signing we've all been promised and waiting for.

This is yet another "special" Ricky moment 100%

In saying that I hope he kills it, and I have a funny feeling this could end up being a rare "I told you so moment"
To all the people with telekinetic powers...please raise my hand.

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18893
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by edwahu » February 11, 2019, 10:26 am

Woodgers wrote:
February 11, 2019, 9:22 am
Is Sezer the only proven NRL player that came to the Raiders as a specialist in his position, that we have managed to beat other clubs to in approximately the past decade? I actually can't think of the last HIGH quality NRL player that we've signed.
I think Tapine and Junior are two that would've been in big demand if free agents. They didn't hit the open market but a big percentage of good players don't these days.

Since then we have clearly hit a brick wall again. It's easily the club's biggest problem.

User avatar
Beejay
John Ferguson
Posts: 2281
Joined: April 4, 2007, 4:47 pm
Location: Shellharbour

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by Beejay » February 11, 2019, 10:49 am

I highly doubt Ricky has ‘offered’ or ‘given’ the fullback spot to a reserve grade winger.
Wighton has been earmarked for the 6 since late last year. So the fullback spot is up for grabs. If I’m a player that thinks I can make it as an NRL fullback, but currently aren’t getting a chance, I’m finding a way to get here. There’s very few clubs that you could say has a fullback spot up for grabs this preseason, so i’d even take a pay cut to get myself in that conversation.

Charnze is a young talented player. But obviously not talented enough to be playing fullback in reserve grade as they had another young player in that spot.
That’s the part I’m cautious on. But hey, Am I really putting my faith in the selection decisions of a squad led by Stephen Kearney. Probably not.

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25639
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by PigRickman » February 11, 2019, 1:40 pm

Yeah i still have some hopes that we can get the the loser of the Edwards-DWZ battle in Penrith... but that's probably more wishful thinking
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers and Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Matt wrote:
June 25, 2019, 9:29 pm
Reed Mahoney 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
simo
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8552
Joined: March 12, 2013, 7:50 pm
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by simo » February 11, 2019, 1:43 pm

Odds on “Stuart set to take a Charnze on new recruit at the back” headline before rd 1?
Dont delete this GE

User avatar
Coastalraider
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1952
Joined: May 31, 2015, 7:25 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by Coastalraider » February 11, 2019, 1:43 pm

Beejay wrote:
February 11, 2019, 10:49 am
I highly doubt Ricky has ‘offered’ or ‘given’ the fullback spot to a reserve grade winger.
Wighton has been earmarked for the 6 since late last year. So the fullback spot is up for grabs. If I’m a player that thinks I can make it as an NRL fullback, but currently aren’t getting a chance, I’m finding a way to get here. There’s very few clubs that you could say has a fullback spot up for grabs this preseason, so i’d even take a pay cut to get myself in that conversation.

Charnze is a young talented player. But obviously not talented enough to be playing fullback in reserve grade as they had another young player in that spot.
That’s the part I’m cautious on. But hey, Am I really putting my faith in the selection decisions of a squad led by Stephen Kearney. Probably not.
Remeber the time Ricky sold a starting 6 spot to a bench utility at the Tigers?

I have a feeling this will work out a little something like Austin.

He looks the type of player who may dazzle with footwork, but once teams get a good look at him they can work out ways to negate his effectiveness.
From his highlight reel he looks like a raider - unstructured and able to find gaps with ad lib play.

User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 30653
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Western Sydney

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by dubby » February 11, 2019, 1:47 pm

Woodgers wrote:Not wanting to bring the party down but i'm with Mammando. This thread is the epitome of where this club is at in terms of recruitment.

Before I go any further, the kid has my full support. He's keen to come here to make a fist of it and like any other player including the ones who have been fringe players on the books for years, I give each player a clean slate each season. Guys can and do improve and regress dramatically in this game and effort is rewarded so good luck to him. I haven't followed preseason that intensely but I've looked at some of the training photos and a guy like Oldfield looks big and strong so adding that to his pace he could finally be a genuine 1st grader this year.

I've never recalled this CNK guy whenever I've watched the Warriors and those highlights which are just ISP aren't that great. Yet people have already slotted this guy into starting fullback because he's played some NRL before at another club, albeit in a different position. He's already considered above what we have to most people because he has played NRL elsewhere, this happens over and over. He hasn't even run a ball in anger yet people are already locking him into our #1 just because he is new and interesting from what I can gather. Doesn't this speak volumes for the recruitment at this club, that everyone is excited about signing a fringe first grade footballer and want to gift him a jersey in a key position because he has played NRL at another club? Again, i'm not bagging the kid, it is what it is. I pointed this out a few weeks ago with Dylan Edwards, yes he would improve this footy club and be the best fullback we have if we move Jack to #6 but people were getting so excited like we'd won Powerball. We weren't signing Tedesco, RTS, Holmes, Ponga, Turbo, Munster to play in the #1, we were signing a bloke with potential but we're that starved of any decent signing that Dylan Edwards is considered some kind of Gary Belcher or Brett Mullins. It really does just highlight were this club is at in terms of recruitment.

I'm not being a negative Nancy, I hope this works out well for all parties and i'm not against the signing at all. I'm just highlighting that the commentary in this thread is way over the top for the actual reality of the ability of the player we've just gained.
Couldn't agree more.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Image

User avatar
Beejay
John Ferguson
Posts: 2281
Joined: April 4, 2007, 4:47 pm
Location: Shellharbour

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by Beejay » February 11, 2019, 1:56 pm

Coastalraider wrote:
February 11, 2019, 1:43 pm
Beejay wrote:
February 11, 2019, 10:49 am
I highly doubt Ricky has ‘offered’ or ‘given’ the fullback spot to a reserve grade winger.
Wighton has been earmarked for the 6 since late last year. So the fullback spot is up for grabs. If I’m a player that thinks I can make it as an NRL fullback, but currently aren’t getting a chance, I’m finding a way to get here. There’s very few clubs that you could say has a fullback spot up for grabs this preseason, so i’d even take a pay cut to get myself in that conversation.

Charnze is a young talented player. But obviously not talented enough to be playing fullback in reserve grade as they had another young player in that spot.
That’s the part I’m cautious on. But hey, Am I really putting my faith in the selection decisions of a squad led by Stephen Kearney. Probably not.
Remeber the time Ricky sold a starting 6 spot to a bench utility at the Tigers?

I have a feeling this will work out a little something like Austin.

He looks the type of player who may dazzle with footwork, but once teams get a good look at him they can work out ways to negate his effectiveness.
From his highlight reel he looks like a raider - unstructured and able to find gaps with ad lib play.
I remember that bench utility being voted their best player in 2014, and Austin seeking a release that was granted due to the Tigers being in turmoil, and as yet hadn't given him a permanent position - they had a couple of young superstars of the future in the halves in Brooks and Moses, with Tedesco at fullback. Offering him a starting spot to motivate a release from his contract was reasonable in that case.

Fairly different to a bloke who's played on the wing in reserve grade for two years.

User avatar
Sid
Steve Walters
Posts: 7068
Joined: May 15, 2015, 8:47 pm
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd
Location: Darwin, N.T.

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by Sid » February 11, 2019, 2:02 pm

These comments from the article show CNK is signed as depth with Rapana or another signing expected to nail down the fullback position

"We just needed some depth in the outside backs and a bit of surety, and [McFadden] coached him at the Warriors and was impressed with him," Raiders recruitment boss Peter Mulholland said.

"He becomes a depth player for us and a player with a good bit of ability too, bearing in mind he can play two or three positions.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 32184
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by Matt » February 11, 2019, 2:26 pm

dubby wrote:
February 11, 2019, 1:47 pm
Woodgers wrote:Not wanting to bring the party down but i'm with Mammando. This thread is the epitome of where this club is at in terms of recruitment.

Before I go any further, the kid has my full support. He's keen to come here to make a fist of it and like any other player including the ones who have been fringe players on the books for years, I give each player a clean slate each season. Guys can and do improve and regress dramatically in this game and effort is rewarded so good luck to him. I haven't followed preseason that intensely but I've looked at some of the training photos and a guy like Oldfield looks big and strong so adding that to his pace he could finally be a genuine 1st grader this year.

I've never recalled this CNK guy whenever I've watched the Warriors and those highlights which are just ISP aren't that great. Yet people have already slotted this guy into starting fullback because he's played some NRL before at another club, albeit in a different position. He's already considered above what we have to most people because he has played NRL elsewhere, this happens over and over. He hasn't even run a ball in anger yet people are already locking him into our #1 just because he is new and interesting from what I can gather. Doesn't this speak volumes for the recruitment at this club, that everyone is excited about signing a fringe first grade footballer and want to gift him a jersey in a key position because he has played NRL at another club? Again, i'm not bagging the kid, it is what it is. I pointed this out a few weeks ago with Dylan Edwards, yes he would improve this footy club and be the best fullback we have if we move Jack to #6 but people were getting so excited like we'd won Powerball. We weren't signing Tedesco, RTS, Holmes, Ponga, Turbo, Munster to play in the #1, we were signing a bloke with potential but we're that starved of any decent signing that Dylan Edwards is considered some kind of Gary Belcher or Brett Mullins. It really does just highlight were this club is at in terms of recruitment.

I'm not being a negative Nancy, I hope this works out well for all parties and i'm not against the signing at all. I'm just highlighting that the commentary in this thread is way over the top for the actual reality of the ability of the player we've just gained.
Couldn't agree more.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I agree too, but like others have pointed out, the other FB options with Jack at 6, and seemingly Cotric on this left wing, are Abbey or Oldfield, unless they upgrade that Simonsson kid. Then of course someone has to play wing for the injured Rapa. Most people have Oldie on that wing.

The choices being, 2 guys with half a dozen NRL games, only 1 of which has games at FB, a journeyman winger/ centre and an uncapped, non nRL contracted, 7s import.

User avatar
Raiders_Pat
David Grant
Posts: 735
Joined: July 24, 2016, 8:11 am
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by Raiders_Pat » February 12, 2019, 12:56 am

Sid wrote:
February 11, 2019, 2:02 pm
These comments from the article show CNK is signed as depth with Rapana or another signing expected to nail down the fullback position

"We just needed some depth in the outside backs and a bit of surety, and [McFadden] coached him at the Warriors and was impressed with him," Raiders recruitment boss Peter Mulholland said.

"He becomes a depth player for us and a player with a good bit of ability too, bearing in mind he can play two or three positions.
I know it's very wishful thinking and I'm not religious in any way but I'm praying to **** god that this means there's another signing on the way...

Post Reply