Canberra Raiders look to upgrade and extend contract for Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: Canberra Raiders look to upgrade and extend contract for Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Post by Finchy »

TongueFTW wrote: July 25, 2019, 10:19 am
The Rickman wrote: July 25, 2019, 8:52 am Jesus guys, to be fair on Luke Bateman, if he came into this current squad the way they’re playing this year and played off the bench he absolutely wouldn’t let anyone down

He’s not gonna win you the game but he’s never been the sort of player that loses you the game either. He cops WAY too much OTT crap on this forum just because he’s not a superstar
His defence/lateral movement is ordinary, he gets dominated in tackles and rarely wins the ruck. He doesn’t have an offload or late footwork at the line, yet isn’t a metre eater either. He makes handling errors at key times, not to mention he is injury prone and has left us down a man plenty of times due to his tackling technique meaning his head is in the wrong position. With the current skill set required, he is simply not good enough for first grade. At his current level, he is in the Jarrad Kennedy, Ben Jones, Jake Foster group of players that belong in reserve grade.
This
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Canberra Raiders look to upgrade and extend contract for Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Post by The Nickman »

The Rickman wrote: July 25, 2019, 8:52 am Jesus guys, to be fair on Luke Bateman, if he came into this current squad the way they’re playing this year and played off the bench he absolutely wouldn’t let anyone down

He’s not gonna win you the game but he’s never been the sort of player that loses you the game either. He cops WAY too much OTT crap on this forum just because he’s not a superstar
His defence/lateral movement is ordinary, he gets dominated in tackles and rarely wins the ruck. He doesn’t have an offload or late footwork at the line, yet isn’t a metre eater either. He makes handling errors at key times, not to mention he is injury prone and has left us down a man plenty of times due to his tackling technique meaning his head is in the wrong position. With the current skill set required, he is simply not good enough for first grade. At his current level, he is in the Jarrad Kennedy, Ben Jones, Jake Foster group of players that belong in reserve grade.
I think a lot of what you said there is incorrect. He's actually not THAT bad, I certainly don't remember his handling OR defence being as bad as you suggest.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

I forgot to mention his tendency to give away some of the most obvious holding down penalties I have seen.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

CNK's honesty makes all the cold pies totally worth it
Tim Gore

As a rugby league broadcaster who interviews players and coaches, every now and then I get lucky and get an insight that just stops me in my tracks and makes my love for the game explode. On Saturday night, Canberra Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad gave me one of those moments.

Read more: https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/07/25/c ... VjaFZn5o1w
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Ah, that was a nice article.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Which is how he would be paid, and how he would be played.

If we ran through 5-6 middle forwards and ended up giving Lukey a game, bravo recruitment manager.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

greeneyed wrote:CNK's honesty makes all the cold pies totally worth it
Tim Gore

As a rugby league broadcaster who interviews players and coaches, every now and then I get lucky and get an insight that just stops me in my tracks and makes my love for the game explode. On Saturday night, Canberra Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad gave me one of those moments.

Read more: https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/07/25/c ... VjaFZn5o1w
I find the more entertaining interviews come from the newer players. Experienced players are more media trained and know how to handle the questions with cliches. It’s more professional but it’s less entertaining as a viewer.

I’d rather watch a post game interview from a debutante who’s kicked the winning goal from the sideline (Kerrod holland) than an experienced campaigner saying “yeah definitely” “one percenters” etc.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: July 25, 2019, 10:43 am

I think a lot of what you said there is incorrect. He's actually not THAT bad, I certainly don't remember his handling OR defence being as bad as you suggest.
Agreed. Particularly his defence. That's just not accurate at all.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

I keep stats on my computer, but can't find player 2018 numbers. His 2017 numbers include 6 try causes, 7 line break causes 1.4 missed tackles per game for a tackle efficiency of 88%.

For comparison, Shannon Boyd in 2017 (with a few more minutes on average) had 90% tackle efficiency, 5 try causes and 1.3 missed tackles per game. Boyd has been criticised (rightfully) for his shoddy defence, and his numbers are pretty much the same (slightly better) than Bateman.

I don't think Luke Bateman is solid defensively (and, for the record - Boyd averaged 92m that season compared to Bateman's 62m).

By the by - I think we all agree that he is (at best) a min wage forward, but there is no way he is getting signed for that.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

TongueFTW wrote: July 25, 2019, 8:01 pm I keep stats on my computer, but can't find player 2018 numbers. His 2017 numbers include 6 try causes, 7 line break causes 1.4 missed tackles per game for a tackle efficiency of 88%.

For comparison, Shannon Boyd in 2017 (with a few more minutes on average) had 90% tackle efficiency, 5 try causes and 1.3 missed tackles per game. Boyd has been criticised (rightfully) for his shoddy defence, and his numbers are pretty much the same (slightly better) than Bateman.

I don't think Luke Bateman is solid defensively (and, for the record - Boyd averaged 92m that season compared to Bateman's 62m).

By the by - I think we all agree that he is (at best) a min wage forward, but there is no way he is getting signed for that.
2018: https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33061
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He's a perfectly adaquate and NRL standard middle third defender. Nothing more, nothing less.
He doesnt offer a lot with the ball, but his does have a high motor and he is the guy, similar to Fensom and others like him who'll take that tough early tackle hit up into the teeth of it off his line, get SMASHED for limited yardage

but there is value in that as an end of roster footballer.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

No other club is going to be knocking down Luke’s door. He’s the kind of player that you hope you don’t have to use but if crisis hits you’re glad you’ve got him waiting in the wings. As long as it’s on the minimum I’m 100% happy to retain him in the squad.

Perhaps he got a bit complacent in 2017/2018 as Stick was giving him a spot in the 17 every week. If his number was called again I’m sure he would put in a very good performance by his standards just as we saw in 2016 when he first broke into the team.

If you’re unhappy with this move by the club then you don’t understand cap management. How many other clubs have a bloke with 71 first grade games at 23 years old as their bottom of the barrel middle forward? Minimum wage, get it done.

Middles in the squad currently ahead of him:
Papalii, Lui, Soliola, Tapine/J. Bateman (depending on position) Sutton, Horsburgh, Havili, Young/Murchie (again depending on position), Guler, Collins.

Same goes for Sammy Williams. Won’t be on min wage but we certainly shouldn’t have any other clubs to compete with in negotiations.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The question is, is it a close to minimum contract?
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

I’m sure it would be. It’s very unlikely he has any other offers. He knows that, the club knows that. Either he takes a min wage deal or he doesn’t have a contract. The club has messed up some cap decisions in the past but I think that’s on players that were much more prominent in the squad or had competing offers or potential offers from other clubs. That’s definitely not that case here.
If it is the case, let him go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

PigRickman wrote: July 25, 2019, 7:32 pm
The Rickman wrote: July 25, 2019, 10:43 am

Agreed. Particularly his defence. That's just not accurate at all.
I think it's quite an accurate assessment tbh if we're all talking about the same Luke Bateman. It's in no way an overstatement to say his defence and lateral movement is ordinary imo... for a guy his size, his lateral movement is ordinary at best. You want your compact forwards to be a bit quicker/lighter on their toes than your bigger forwards and he simply does not provide that. I'd imagine that even Bellamy would struggle to play him in an effective role. This is a minimum contract (as in no more than $110k/season) or let him walk scenario.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

You see, I'd look at Bateman as exactly the guy you'd look to move on. Minimum wage or not, he's not going to figure in first grade plans at any point short of a zombie outbreak, and he takes a role that should be filled with the next bright young thing coming through. Seems to me that roster management should involve moving on the guys who are never going to make it in favour of guys who maybe maybe just might.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

But you can't just have a squad of 17 starters and a bunch of kids. There is value in some veteran leadership at the bottom of the roster who is going to travel with the young guys to mounties each week, play with them
Now maybe Bateman isnt that guy and i dont think anyone will shed a tear if he leaves but i dont think you'll have a successful squad if it's structured in a way that everyone on the back end of the roster is just some kids with potential

Maybe the answer is finding the Dunamis Lui's who bring some age and wisdom of grinding hard and scrapping for a career in with a "solid NRL player" upside... but at age 23 Lui wasnt any better than Bateman is now.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

PigRickman wrote: July 26, 2019, 10:07 am But you can't just have a squad of 17 starters and a bunch of kids. There is value in some veteran leadership at the bottom of the roster who is going to travel with the young guys to mounties each week, play with them
Now maybe Bateman isnt that guy and i dont think anyone will shed a tear if he leaves but i dont think you'll have a successful squad if it's structured in a way that everyone on the back end of the roster is just some kids with potential

Maybe the answer is finding the Dunamis Lui's who bring some age and wisdom of grinding hard and scrapping for a career in with a "solid NRL player" upside... but at age 23 Lui wasnt any better than Bateman is now.
This is exactly it. Bateman would be the guy to move on if you didn't already have 3-4 kids pushing into first grade like our current squad does.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Back in the day when there were three grades (3rd grade went through several variations of nomenclature and age restriction) it was usual for reserve grade to optimally have about 10 blokes who had first grade experience (half on the way up, half on the way down), but all were generally considered as potential first graders if necessary. Third grade was for up and comers, or at least blokes that were thought to have the potential to go further. But there were always a handful of blokes in and around the reserve grade side who were there in those thoroughly unprofessional days to exert some leadership and "professionalism" over the younger players and try to mitigate the bad examples given by hugely talented but grossly ill disciplined players like Langlands, Raper etc.
Bateman, Sam Williams, Glen Buttriss etc were exemplars of the kind of players required to show players that professionalism would provide them with opportunities when not blessed with extravagant talents.
I havent written that very well, but you get my meaning I hope.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders bargain buy earning a 10th of NRL’s elite fullbacks

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is earning about one tenth of the game’s elite fullbacks but his output is not too far shy of the likes of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, James Tedesco, Tom Trbojevic, and Kalyn Ponga.

In his 17 games for Ricky Stuart since, Nicoll-Klokstad has averaged 24.5 possessions per game for 167 run metres, a total of 61 tackle busts, three try assists, 13 offloads, and 79.1 per cent kick defusal.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 5e35d39119
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I bet Donny isn’t thrilled about articles like this. 100% true but not what you need in the middle of contract negotiations
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Cranky Old Man wrote: July 26, 2019, 11:14 am Back in the day when there were three grades (3rd grade went through several variations of nomenclature and age restriction) it was usual for reserve grade to optimally have about 10 blokes who had first grade experience (half on the way up, half on the way down), but all were generally considered as potential first graders if necessary. Third grade was for up and comers, or at least blokes that were thought to have the potential to go further. But there were always a handful of blokes in and around the reserve grade side who were there in those thoroughly unprofessional days to exert some leadership and "professionalism" over the younger players and try to mitigate the bad examples given by hugely talented but grossly ill disciplined players like Langlands, Raper etc.
Bateman, Sam Williams, Glen Buttriss etc were exemplars of the kind of players required to show players that professionalism would provide them with opportunities when not blessed with extravagant talents.
I havent written that very well, but you get my meaning I hope.
Yep, bang on. We’re chockablock with youngsters full of potential, so we can afford a sensible, hard trainer who has a surprising amount of NRL experience. In some ways, I don’t think we can afford not to.

The comparison with Ben Jones, Jake Foster etc. isn’t quite right because those guys were actually often playing first grade and we didn’t have any gun youngsters. Different story altogether to next year’s squad.

Lastly, the discussion about Bateman’s ability hasn’t so far, as far as I’ve seen, take into account his quick line speed, pressure on the kicker and that he’s regularly making first contact with the ball-carrier (which probably negatively affects his overall missed tackles count).

I’d love if Young, Murchie, Horsburgh etc. took a leaf out of Bateman’s book on those effort plays.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah Luke Bateman is one of those guys who 25 years ago might have captained you Reggies team. DIfferent game now.
And again ill say im not worried too much if we keep or dont keep Luke Bateman. I think if he's on min wage then ive got no issues with it and if he wants a cent more you let him walk. But i do think guys like him, who work hard, and do it all right off the park, and have experience are good to fill the roster out with. Now that player is a dime a dozen so again, doesnt have to be him, just someone who has a similar worth ethic and off field cleanliness off the park for lack of a better term. The last thing you want from your 29th-30th man is some clown who might put you in a spot where you have to endure a fortnight of **** and end up sacking him because he's a clown

And yeah if your team is choc full of vets, he's the guy you move on to create a spot for the Guler/Young/Horse whoever... but it feels like we're pretty young at the back end of the roster
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

This guy. Seriously impressed with this human, let alone his footy ability.

Everything I want in someone representing this proud club.

And to think we had Dugan....

https://twitter.com/mattmanukiatvnz/sta ... 80064?s=21
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Coastalraider wrote: July 30, 2019, 6:44 pm This guy. Seriously impressed with this human, let alone his footy ability.

Lovely story, comes over a genuine human, all power to him.

Id be surprised if he left us, as long as we give him a fair deal
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Johno wrote: July 30, 2019, 9:04 pm
Coastalraider wrote: July 30, 2019, 6:44 pm This guy. Seriously impressed with this human, let alone his footy ability.

What is fair? Hes really hard to put a$ figure on
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

simo wrote: July 31, 2019, 8:41 am

Agree Simo. You could triple his current deal and it would still feel undervalued if his form was maintained. On the flip side has he earned a high end contract on the back of 20 odd games in first grade?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Northern Raider wrote: July 31, 2019, 9:02 am
simo wrote: July 31, 2019, 8:41 am

Agree Simo. You could triple his current deal and it would still feel undervalued if his form was maintained. On the flip side has he earned a high end contract on the back of 20 odd games in first grade?
I think trippling his current deal on a two year contract with a plan to increase and extend it in the second year of it would be the right play
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Pending our cap situation, and that he's on 110k or something. Signing him to a 2 year extension that starts next year @ 450k a year would be a good spot for both parties.
He's getting a huge pay upgrade and keeps his years low so 18 months from now when he's 25, if he's development has continued, he'll be able to cash in on a huge 3-4 mil dollar deal over 5 years and that'll just about see him through his prime and go from there
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I think pig is on the money there.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

zim wrote: July 31, 2019, 9:48 am I think pig is on the money there.
I think Pig is might be CNK's manager
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Surely not. If he was he'd be talking about how 8 clubs are chasing him and the broncos have offered him 800k to play centre.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

zim wrote: July 31, 2019, 9:56 am Surely not. If he was he'd be talking about how 8 clubs are chasing him and the broncos have offered him 800k to play centre.
Thats the kind of stuff he leaks to the media. Expect a story in the DT any time now.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by yurithe1 »

greeneyed wrote: July 23, 2019, 3:04 pm Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad's reveals the tough challenges in his life on his way to the Canberra Raiders No. 1 jersey

We’re a big family. I’m one of 10 siblings and there were a lot of challenges we had to go through together before I got to that moment. And 2010 was as down as it gets. That was the year my brother Tyson passed away, my mother was in prison and the rest of us left Auckland for Australia.

Read more: https://www.playersvoice.com.au/charnze ... 3v3iCg6.97
Just found this story through other means and it is just inspiring.

There's a photo of him when he was at the Storm and going by that, you would never know what he had going on in the background.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).