Canberra Raiders look to upgrade and extend contract for Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by BadnMean »

sprintman wrote: July 24, 2019, 2:16 pm Read that CNK is on $105K contract. Is that true?
I believe so- he came purely for the opportunity to fight Oldy, Simonson and co for the FB position after Warriors told him he was surplus.

So yeah he came for peanuts by RL standards.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

GreenMachine wrote: July 24, 2019, 11:04 am
BadnMean wrote: July 24, 2019, 10:28 am
GreenMachine wrote: July 24, 2019, 8:45 am The sooner we lock him up to an extension, the better I’ll sleep.
His stats are off the chart for a first year young fullback.
Not to mention his excellent positioning.
Anyone know if he actively marshals the defence from the back?
This is literally a thread announcing a two year extension that you are posting in 🤔
I'd be taking steps to extend beyond 2 years, that is what I meant.

The 2 year deal will be for peanuts when compared to what he can get on the open market now that he is a known quantity.

The club should ensure he doesn't have his head turned.
You’re right. 👍

I actually thought this was a 2 year extension we’d made a while back. There was no extension announced. I must be wishful dreaming.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

He's on NRL minimum till 2020. Gives the Raiders an advantage in extending his contract as we can upgrade the last year of his current deal as part of the incentive. Other teams can only offer contracts from 2021 onwards.

To do this we need a clearer picture of our cap position going into next year. Really no advantage for either party to rush into a new deal now.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

From the guy who did not know McCrone was terrible EDIT
The Rickman wrote:
-TW- wrote: July 23, 2019, 10:16 pm
dubby wrote:Pretty stupid name. Charnze.

He'll either crash or burn. Let's hope he burns.

FTR i'm not a fan of Jack at 6. Dude was horrid in his last stint in the 6.

This will be a crap season when we've got a makeshift 6 and B grade fullback.

Oh well. Worst case we send Jack to 1 and Sam 7.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Oof..

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
To be fair on dubby here though, I can count on no fingers the amount of times he's been correct about anything rugby league, and this is just an extension of that.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: July 24, 2019, 4:07 pm From the guy who did not know McCrone was terrible until his rugby league clueless gf pointed it out
The Rickman wrote:
-TW- wrote: July 23, 2019, 10:16 pm
dubby wrote:Pretty stupid name. Charnze.

He'll either crash or burn. Let's hope he burns.

FTR i'm not a fan of Jack at 6. Dude was horrid in his last stint in the 6.

This will be a crap season when we've got a makeshift 6 and B grade fullback.

Oh well. Worst case we send Jack to 1 and Sam 7.

Oof..

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
To be fair on dubby here though, I can count on no fingers the amount of times he's been correct about anything rugby league, and this is just an extension of that.
Last edited by cat on July 24, 2019, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attacks are not needed
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

That quote worked fine. Text at the top is the gh app default.

As you were.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

you use the app
Last edited by cat on July 24, 2019, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attacks are not needed
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

See, now is the time where someone could come in and throw a few cheaps shots at Nickman from the peanut gallery like he does to everyone else.

I won't though, not me.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: July 24, 2019, 4:39 pm See, now is the time where someone could come in and throw a few cheaps shots at Nickman from the peanut gallery like he does to everyone else.

I won't though, not me.
Hahahahaha fantastic work
greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders look to lock in Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders look to lock in Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, with an upgrade and contract extension

He's been one of the recruits of the year, now fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is set to be rewarded with a contract upgrade and extension. An extension for John Bateman is next on the agenda.

"Without a doubt we want to keep [Nicoll-Klokstad], we want to extend him, all of the above and we'll meet with him then," Furner said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders look to upgrade and extend contract for Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Post by greeneyed »

The Raidres want to re-sign Sam Williams and Luke Bateman... as well as extend John Bateman, and talk about Ryan Sutton and Elliott Whitehead. John Bateman's manager manages Sutton and Whitehead. Still working on Jordan Rapana's extension.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Canberra Raiders look to upgrade and extend contract for Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Post by zim »

Luke would have to be re-signing on min wage surely. There isn't really another reason to re-sign him that makes sense to me.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: July 24, 2019, 5:44 pm Luke would have to be re-signing on min wage surely. There isn't really another reason to re-sign him that makes sense to me.
You'd think so. He's essentially going to spend all season playing Mounties unless there is a serious injury crisis. But he's the sort of player clubs would keep to lead their reserve grade teams in the old days, so maybe that's what they have in mind.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I cannot fathom, with the young forwards we have coming through, why Bateman would be re-signed.

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

According to the story, it is because "he's a Raider, he's one of us", he's been a Raider since he was 15 and it is tough when you're injured and young players take their opportunity.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

That's very nice sentiment, and we can enjoy discussing that in the long, hollow weeks when other teams are playing in the finals.

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It's all relative to his pay packet though isnt it?
If Bateman is a back of the roster min wage re-signing then i think that is perfectly fine. You hope you never need him but if you do, he's got a high work rate (albeit with minimal to no impact), he's a reasonably effecient tackler in the middle. And if you get in a major jam, he comes on the park for 20-30 minutes and you wont lose the game because of him. He wont win you a game either. But he'll do his job to a bottom of the barrel NRL level... that's find as 28th-29th man in your squad
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Have to agree with the above. Luke Bateman is an OK signing at minimum wage. I seem to remember a story last year of him being disappointed with his offer and wanting to “prove his worth” this year.

I feel like the game has passed players like him and Shaun Fensom by, the “hard working toiler” lock forward really is no longer a thing, too one dimensional.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

TongueFTW wrote: July 24, 2019, 6:50 pm Have to agree with the above. Luke Bateman is an OK signing at minimum wage. I seem to remember a story last year of him being disappointed with his offer and wanting to “prove his worth” this year.

I feel like the game has passed players like him and Shaun Fensom by, the “hard working toiler” lock forward really is no longer a thing, too one dimensional.
100%
raider 4 life
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

greeneyed wrote:Canberra Raiders look to lock in Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, with an upgrade and contract extension

He's been one of the recruits of the year, now fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is set to be rewarded with a contract upgrade and extension. An extension for John Bateman is next on the agenda.

"Without a doubt we want to keep [Nicoll-Klokstad], we want to extend him, all of the above and we'll meet with him then," Furner said.

Holy crap! Did I make this happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

PigRickman wrote: July 24, 2019, 6:44 pm It's all relative to his pay packet though isnt it?
If Bateman is a back of the roster min wage re-signing then i think that is perfectly fine. You hope you never need him but if you do, he's got a high work rate (albeit with minimal to no impact), he's a reasonably effecient tackler in the middle. And if you get in a major jam, he comes on the park for 20-30 minutes and you wont lose the game because of him. He wont win you a game either. But he'll do his job to a bottom of the barrel NRL level... that's find as 28th-29th man in your squad
That's about right. I read this "he's a Raider" stuff as - we can sign him for less than we'd get similar in for...
Williams is a man good backup half. No doubt. They actually don't come on super bargain prices usually as they are faring FG'ers. If we get him for lowball, that's a win.

L Bateman was only 23 when he did his knee. Had some good FG games and some bog average ones but he knows what it's about. He actually has potential do be better at that age + some decent FG experience so why scrap him if we can keep him for low $$$. We already have some choice kids in the system/squad so if we round out the rest with solid FG fill ins for another year or two then we have a deep squad that can cope with setbacks and still win enough games to contend.

If they leave or are released- I really appreciate their efforts, wholehearted players the both of them. But if they stay and love the club, that builds morale + they actually have value as back up NRL players who can do a solid job for a week or a month for the team. They're just not good enough to be a main 17, but it's a 30 man squad. I don't want 13 other rookies, I want half old heads the rookies have to work their ass off to outshine and learn off and I want half rookies looking to tear into that FG squad.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

zim wrote:Luke would have to be re-signing on min wage surely. There isn't really another reason to re-sign him that makes sense to me.
Even when he was fit he hasn't been named even in the raiders extended squad, so I find it funny he took less last year to hang around and not be around the squad ? I thought he was gone for sure

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

BadnMean wrote: July 24, 2019, 8:29 pm
PigRickman wrote: July 24, 2019, 6:44 pm It's all relative to his pay packet though isnt it?
That's about right. I read this "he's a Raider" stuff as - we can sign him for less than we'd get similar in for...
Williams is a man good backup half. No doubt. They actually don't come on super bargain prices usually as they are faring FG'ers. If we get him for lowball, that's a win.

L Bateman was only 23 when he did his knee. Had some good FG games and some bog average ones but he knows what it's about. He actually has potential do be better at that age + some decent FG experience so why scrap him if we can keep him for low $$$. We already have some choice kids in the system/squad so if we round out the rest with solid FG fill ins for another year or two then we have a deep squad that can cope with setbacks and still win enough games to contend.

If they leave or are released- I really appreciate their efforts, wholehearted players the both of them. But if they stay and love the club, that builds morale + they actually have value as back up NRL players who can do a solid job for a week or a month for the team. They're just not good enough to be a main 17, but it's a 30 man squad. I don't want 13 other rookies, I want half old heads the rookies have to work their ass off to outshine and learn off and I want half rookies looking to tear into that FG squad.
Agree with both posts.

You know Luke Bateman is going to train the house down and keep sensible off the field, so it's great that he's around our young guys.

And there's no way the club will pay overs and jeopardise the horde of talented guys we need to keep.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Neeeegz wrote: July 24, 2019, 9:03 pm
zim wrote:Luke would have to be re-signing on min wage surely. There isn't really another reason to re-sign him that makes sense to me.
Even when he was fit he hasn't been named even in the raiders extended squad, so I find it funny he took less last year to hang around and not be around the squad ? I thought he was gone for sure.
Certainly didn't go to plan for him. He would have thought he'd be able to get a bench spot given previous years but Horsburgh killed it in the trials and then Hudson Young emerged. We don't really need a guy that can mainly defend for the 20min role he would have been given in our first 17. All the young guys offer more with the ball in hand for short stints.
He's an excellent trainer though so he's not going to be a negative influence.
Having a guy with 71 first grade games on min wage available for those 3 times a year you might need him is fine by me, if that's what it turns out to be.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

zim wrote:
Even when he was fit he hasn't been named even in the raiders extended squad, so I find it funny he took less last year to hang around and not be around the squad ? I thought he was gone for sure.
Certainly didn't go to plan for him. He would have thought he'd be able to get a bench spot given previous years but Horsburgh killed it in the trials and then Hudson Young emerged. We don't really need a guy that can mainly defend for the 20min role he would have been given in our first 17. All the young guys offer more with the ball in hand for short stints.
Having a guy with 71 first grade games on min wage available for those 3 times a year you might need him is fine by me, if that's what it turns out to be.
Fair call too. But we need to find room to upgrade a few blokes soon

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Neeeegz wrote: July 24, 2019, 9:42 pm
zim wrote:
Fair call too. But we need to find room to upgrade a few blokes soon.
Yeah that's why min wage is the right call on Bateman if we have to make it. You can't avoid spending that money on someone so it won't take it off upgrades / extensions.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Ruben Daley wrote: July 24, 2019, 9:19 pm And there's no way the club will pay overs and jeopardise the horde of talented guys we need to keep.
Agree re his training and behaviour
But I’d draw the line here. I have no confidence that the club can effectively manage its cap if I’m honest

Most of us can probably agree Luke Bateman on 110k or what ever the min wage is, is a reasonable re-signing. But I can never shake the feeling that these sort of guys end up on more than we’d ever believe
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

PigRickman wrote:It's all relative to his pay packet though isnt it?
Not to forget he is also a great back up hooker....

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Brew wrote: July 23, 2019, 4:43 pm Love reading some of comments when he signed in the thread.

Someone mentioned Matty Elliott style recruiting hoping for a Diamond in the rough...well we certainly got our Diamond!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
That'd be me, and we sure did. Looks like McFadden was right on the money.

Bargain buy of the year for sure.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

PigRickman wrote: July 24, 2019, 10:08 pm
Ruben Daley wrote: July 24, 2019, 9:19 pm And there's no way the club will pay overs and jeopardise the horde of talented guys we need to keep.
Agree re his training and behaviour
But I’d draw the line here. I have no confidence that the club can effectively manage its cap if I’m honest

Most of us can probably agree Luke Bateman on 110k or what ever the min wage is, is a reasonable re-signing. But I can never shake the feeling that these sort of guys end up on more than we’d ever believe
Yeah, I have those worries still too but I’m hopeful we’ve moved on from those days.

And I think the guys they love like John Bateman will prevent them being able to spoil guys like Luke Bateman.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

El_Capitano wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Canberra Raiders look to lock in Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, with an upgrade and contract extension

3 hours after you ordered for this to happen this article comes out.. El Capitano is higher up in the ranks than I realised!
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Canberra Raiders look to upgrade and extend contract for Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Post by The Nickman »

Jesus guys, to be fair on Luke Bateman, if he came into this current squad the way they’re playing this year and played off the bench he absolutely wouldn’t let anyone down

He’s not gonna win you the game but he’s never been the sort of player that loses you the game either. He cops WAY too much OTT crap on this forum just because he’s not a superstar
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Sid wrote: July 25, 2019, 8:04 am
El_Capitano wrote:

3 hours after you ordered for this to happen this article comes out.. El Capitano is higher up in the ranks than I realised!
Generalissimo!
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Anyone who thinks LBateman on min wage, or near enough, is a bad signing doesnt get salary cap or squad building. The guy is only 23-24, and really only just reaching the age where its accepted for forwards to begin to mature. He already has 71 NRL games to his name. He was a Jr QLDer. I agree with all the above, he isnt the guy they were originally hoping he would be, he isnt going to win you or lose you games. As depth, this is a perfect signing; experienced, reliable and cheap. Perfect.

Same goes for Sammy Williams really. He is going to be more expensive than your genuine rookie spine player, esp one who hasnt made waves in jr footy, and its likely that he will cost more than most 'min wage spine player' (lets face it, spine players get cap loading). We all know that he is the best half, or at least a top 3 half, at reserve grade level. Has been for some time. So he is very likely to be in the top 20 salaries at the club. IMO, as long as he is closer 20 than 15 we are probably in good shape.

As for CNK.... GET IT DONE!
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

The Rickman wrote: July 25, 2019, 8:52 am Jesus guys, to be fair on Luke Bateman, if he came into this current squad the way they’re playing this year and played off the bench he absolutely wouldn’t let anyone down

He’s not gonna win you the game but he’s never been the sort of player that loses you the game either. He cops WAY too much OTT crap on this forum just because he’s not a superstar
His defence/lateral movement is ordinary, he gets dominated in tackles and rarely wins the ruck. He doesn’t have an offload or late footwork at the line, yet isn’t a metre eater either. He makes handling errors at key times, not to mention he is injury prone and has left us down a man plenty of times due to his tackling technique meaning his head is in the wrong position. With the current skill set required, he is simply not good enough for first grade. At his current level, he is in the Jarrad Kennedy, Ben Jones, Jake Foster group of players that belong in reserve grade.